Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games you keep returning to

I kept returning to World of Warcraft, but now I am a bit outplayed with World of Warcraft(played it for 7 years). I think the best games are the ones that you keep returning to. What is the game you keep returning to?

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Vanguard and Rift for me.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• WarcannibalWarcannibal Member Posts: 24

You dont mention if you want an mmo title or not... but one game that is ALWAYS on my hard drive is Civ 2.

Allthough, I admit, I have updated to Civ 5 haha.  But yea, like I said, when I need a mmo "cleanse" a week or so of online Civ will shake the webs loose and make you crave killing 10 rats.  Again.

"GW2 is the Methadone to WoWs Heroin."

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    DAoC was the one I kept coming back too; however, since SWTOR came out, I haven't gone back since, which is the longest any game has kept me away.  At this point though, I doubt I would return due to my change in preference for futuristic MMO's verse Ye Olde Timey MMO's.
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    lotro, that game just feels like a old antiquated painting from a bygone era (not in a bad sense but that it feels timeless). This is probably by virtue of being set in middle-earth. I always love that the fantasy there is so restricted, must be why it attracts a more mature community.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Despite its flaws, after every disappointing new MMO I've played over the past 3 years, I've continually gone back to Darkfall.  It's a combination of the rush I get when fighting other players and the camaraderie I feel with those in my clan/alliance.  Had a lot of good times and made a lot of good friends in Darkfall.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Besides WoW the other MMO i kept going back to was LOTRO. I've gone back recently with RoR, levelling up a new character on Brandywine. I am quite shocked I've gone back and enjoyed it actually, considering I bought GW2 the other day I just haven't been able to get into it yet.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

EVE keeps drawing me back....and still remains fun after quite a run.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    WoW, EQ2, UO. EQ1 and Vanguard once in a blue moon.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Kyleran

EVE keeps drawing me back....and still remains fun after quite a run.

Had I started a few years ago, I believe I'd have the same sentiment.  I tried the extended trial, and thought it was a pretty freakin' awesome game.  Every time I logged in, though, I had this little feeling that I'm just a noob in a huge world filled with vets, and it'll take forever to become a viable entity.  Love the concept, gameplay, and most of the rest of it though.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    The first EverQuest (or at least some version of the original ;) still sucks me back in time after time. I've played many games and MMOs between quitting live back in 04 to now but I keep going back. Nothing yet sucks me in like EQ* does still... Was trying Vanguard and desperately hoped it would, but the lag the server was experiencing when it went F2P made it unplayable to me at the time. Maybe I'll give it another go along with EQ2, but probably will still go back to EQ*.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Yeah.. for me its Civilization. I have played it now over 20 years. And i guess this love story will go on.

I also have enjoyed the Anno Games since a decade.

MMOs? Not any more. I returned to UO a few time, but not nowadays.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

WoW, but I never really left. I keep playing Skyrim, before that was Oblivion for when I have that open world rpg kick. I used to go back to Asheron's Call, but just can't anymore. Minecraft is something I play from time to time, the idea behind it is great, but the overall pointlessness to any type of adventuring makes the game stale for me. I play GW1 for a few hours per month. I have a feeling GW2 will be something I play for spurts for years to come.

I have a feeling that the new SimCity and Phantasy Star Online will be games I play off an on for years.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Rift and LOTRO.

But...in my quest to find a Wizardry-like game, I discovered The Legend of Grimrock and that's all I've been playing lately. The map editor is awesome!

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Definitely LotRO for me.  Used to return to WoW as well, but it finally lost the magic when the last of my RL friends stopped playing.  LotRO, on the other hand, never seems to lose that magic.  I always manage to return at the tail end of an expansion. Luckily this time I got in at the beginning.  I agree with a previous poster though.  It just feels so . . . refined?  It's mostly text based quests with little VO, but I just lose myself in it.  Enough sandbox to keep me busy, and enough PvE to placate me.  Usually lasts about 6 months and I move on, but I love rediscovering it on the return trip.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gridrunner evoloution, its just great for a quick blast.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

Mmorpg wise: FF11, I keep going back to this off and on, also City of Heroes.. makes me sad they are closing it down. Though last time I went back to ff11 might be my last, I didn't like how they made it easy mode with abyysea's release, they even changed the non-abbysea area's now. If you scratch those 2 off my list there most likely is no mmorpg i'd go back to, hasn't been a good mmorpg released in like 4-5 years, and most of the ones I would go back to have either shut down, or been made easy mode to cater to bitchy whiney casuals. Ragnarok Online though I guess I could put that as a mmo i'd go back to, have been playing it off and on since the 1st english closed beta, way back when all they had were the 1st jobs.

Single player game wise: Fallout 3, Fallout new vegas, oblivion, skyrim, and these sorts of games that you can mod the hell out of them. Mods can give you a totally diffrent experence everytime if you just switch which your using.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    WoW, Rift, and Lotro for me. It seems that I am constantly switching within the three of them.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    EQ2. I always go back and find something new and exciting. Even when i don't play it i think aboout it every now and then. Best themepark MMO i have ever played.
  • JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    City of Heroes was the one I kept going back to. Pretty much all of my fun in MMOs comes from alting (I'm not a fan of raiding or pvp), and City of Heroes just had so much variety in terms of character appearance, achetypes and builds within those archetypes that it was always a different experience. I've played more than 20 CoH/CoV characters over the years, and each felt radically different from the others in every conceivable way.
  • gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

Despite its flaws, after every disappointing new MMO I've played over the past 3 years, I've continually gone back to Darkfall.  It's a combination of the rush I get when fighting other players and the camaraderie I feel with those in my clan/alliance.  Had a lot of good times and made a lot of good friends in Darkfall.

This!!!!
  • EwanisEwanis Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Warhammer, UO, X-com 1, Battlefield 2, Dota.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Any one of the Total War series. They hit a spot other games do not.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

The ones i hit multiple times.

DAoc (MaIN ONE THIS GAME WAS SOLID) ladders to ramps in  rvr made me never return however.

CoH played this one more thana  few times, just a fun character building game.

Wow, stopped going back, cata was my last venture prob will stay that way.

Played rift twice raiding both times.

Eve played that for a long while off and on, haven't bveen back a a while doubt i will. They have basiclly made the game unfun and overly disapointing for any new / casual players... with there attempts to limit the rewards of bots, hardcore, and seasond players. So i doubt ill go back, but it was cool.

I truely and hoping for a daoc 2 (not the new and improved wow style daoc two we keep seeing).

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Games I have gone back to are Everquest (4 times). Anarchy Online (once), I would have gone back to FFXI but they no longer had my old account because I cancelled the payment info when I cancelled and shut the subscription to Square .They mentioned even if you cancelled the payment should not unsubscribe but I did that and lost the whole account. Then I went back to DAoC (twice) but that game never grabbed me,WoW I have lost count how many times I have gone back. Everquest 2 at least three times and I really liked that game a lot. Vanguard once and the second time I invested a huge amount of time in it and loved it. LotRO I went back three times and the last was the longest and most fun. Today I decided to go back to SWTOR to finish the class stories I do so love Bioware storylines.

The two games I have gone back the most to are WoW and City of X. I think City may be even more times than WoW

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I usually go back to EQ. Probably will again soon. I was on the progression server, but took some breaks, then lost track of which expansion they're on. I might just do the regular server with my free silver membership, then upgrade if I'm still playing.

I use to go back to daoc all the time, but once they dropped the classic server, kind of dropped the game. Besides, as fun as it is, the movement is too annoying for me, especially if I play a melee, although damn I do miss playing a shadowblade or infiltrator.

I've been done with WoW for a while. Only went back a couple times when they gave me some free time to check out the changes.