Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DF:UW vs PS2

They both launch on the same day, one has had extensive beta testing, one hasn't...

PS2 still has a lot of bugs and still has lots of content to add before launch, which will cause bugs, so can they squish them, they have the resources too do so.

DF however, we have no idea what nasty bugs lay in wait, as there has been no proper beta going on, a handful of players at most from what we know.

For me currently its PS2 > DFUW.

Comments

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

PS2 is nothng like DF... Its a bit like comparing a football game with a driving game.

PS2 is a standard shooter pretty much, fun in short play sessions. But I can spend hours and hours in DF doing all sorts of different things.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

One of the big differences is that the core of DF:UW already exists and functions in DF1. Theyre overhauling the graphics, changing the UI, and changing the way some of the systems function, but the core of the game (physics, combat, AI, etc) has already been in use and extensively "beta tested" over several years in DF1.

Im sure theere will be a few issues to work out at launch, but it wont be something completely gamebreaking, mostly minor issues like glitches in the UI, a few of the new skills doing unexpected things and being under/overpowered, etc.

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

PS2 is nothng like DF... Its a bit like comparing a football game with a driving game.

PS2 is a standard shooter pretty much, fun in short play sessions. But I can spend hours and hours in DF doing all sorts of different things.

Spot on there.  I am not even thinking about PS2 that day lol

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I will be playing both... if DF:UW launches without an issue on the 20th i might spend a bit more playing that on the day but Ill still try both :)

Testing PS2 at the moment and its a great game :)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They're very different games.

Darkfall is mostly pvp, mostly sandbox
    Planetside is a all pvp rvr game. It's not a "standard shooter", its more like a sci-fi daoc with fps mechanics and without the pve stuff.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

I don't play shooters, so PS2 isn't really on my radar, while DF:UW is much more my style of game.

Besides, there's a better chance than not that they won't release on the same day.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

DF uses fps mechanics too, its not tab target.
    Why vs anyway?

Should be celebrating having 2 games coming out that are both focussed on pvp. What with most mmos treating pvp as an afterthought.
  • Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Why vs anyway?

Should be celebrating having 2 games coming out that are both focussed on pvp. What with most mmos treating pvp as an afterthought.

Also a very good point

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog

Yup totally different types of games.  PS2 will be there for some quick action from time to time but i really cannot see myself playing it for more than a couple of hours at a time.  Darkfall on the other hand will see days and days in a row of playtime when it releases.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    DFUW has been in beta a lot longer...  Two different games anyway.   Only SOE game that interests me is EQ and EQ Next.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by SysFail

They both launch on the same day, one has had extensive beta testing, one hasn't...

PS2 still has a lot of bugs and still has lots of content to add before launch, which will cause bugs, so can they squish them, they have the resources too do so.

DF however, we have no idea what nasty bugs lay in wait, as there has been no proper beta going on, a handful of players at most from what we know.

For me currently its PS2 > DFUW.

PS2 is well documented and well known already. It's FTP. It'll be there in a few months. Being on the ground floor of an empire building game like Darkfall is far more exciting.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Why vs anyway?

Good point, but i've never been able to hold down two MMO's at once personally, so it is a straight up choice i guess and I never played PS1, but i did DF1.

I think it's shit timing for AV though, if they had sense they would polish to a sparkle and then release, rather than be willing to ride out another crap launch, followed by a similiar exodus.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

w/o question it's dfuw and ps2. PS2 is the perfect side game.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366
    i bought ps2, quite a disapointing game if im honest.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Why vs anyway?

Good point, but i've never been able to hold down two MMO's at once personally, so it is a straight up choice i guess and I never played PS1, but i did DF1.

I think it's shit timing for AV though, if they had sense they would polish to a sparkle and then release, rather than be willing to ride out another crap launch, followed by a similiar exodus.

There really is no depth to ps2 it just spawn shoot die, spawn shoot die all over some meaningless objectives.  It's a fun game and I'll definitly be playing it, if only just to keep the certs going every 24 hrs. lol.  It cannot be compared to Darkfall they are just too different.  Darkfall has significantly more depth and meaningful impact on the game world as a whole.  Darkfall when you take a city it actually means you "took" the city from the other players.  PS2 is just a static combat game where the "objectives" will give you xp but really have no meaningful effect upon the game world as a whole.  Yes, you get a minor resource boost but who cares the resources all have a low capped out value so you really cannot stockpile tons of stuff anyways.

PS2 is fun don't get me wrong, but really its just another shooter, just the world and scope is much bigger than your standard cod or w/e.

Darkfall is a game that has depth, politics, and meaningful gameplay thats the game that I'll be spending my time in.

PS.  As far as "polish" goes Aventurine has had three years of beta testing with the original DF to figure out exactly what they need to do.  PS2 is another soe production, lots of hype not alot of content, i've played the beta for awhile now its fun but there really is no "substance" to the game, its just spawn and zerg.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Why vs anyway?

This guy gets it.

PS2 should have been a bit more like the original... but its still a fun side game.  You can't really compare the two as they are different genres:  A pure FPS shooter and an RPG.  PS2 is going to release a month later than DFUW from what I understand.

I will be playing DFUW as a primary game, and when my macros are blazing in DF I will fire up PS2 on the side.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by 123443211234
    Why vs anyway?

There really is no depth to ps2 it just spawn shoot die, spawn shoot die all over some meaningless objectives.  It's a fun game and I'll definitly be playing it, if only just to keep the certs going every 24 hrs. lol.  It cannot be compared to Darkfall they are just too different.  Darkfall has significantly more depth and meaningful impact on the game world as a whole.  Darkfall when you take a city it actually means you "took" the city from the other players.  PS2 is just a static combat game where the "objectives" will give you xp but really have no meaningful effect upon the game world as a whole.  Yes, you get a minor resource boost but who cares the resources all have a low capped out value so you really cannot stockpile tons of stuff anyways.

PS2 is fun don't get me wrong, but really its just another shooter, just the world and scope is much bigger than your standard cod or w/e.

Darkfall is a game that has depth, politics, and meaningful gameplay thats the game that I'll be spending my time in.

PS.  As far as "polish" goes Aventurine has had three years of beta testing with the original DF to figure out exactly what they need to do.  PS2 is another soe production, lots of hype not alot of content, i've played the beta for awhile now its fun but there really is no "substance" to the game, its just spawn and zerg.

Sorry but I fail to see how a FFA PvP can have something more meaningful than PS2. Could you explain me what kind of depth and meaningful impact on the game world DFUW will have??

Both games are ultimately about controlling territory, its just planetside does it with 3 factions and DF does it with clans.

Comparisons of planetside with things like cod are unfair. Cod is tupperware pvp just like wow or whatever. Planetside is a rvr game.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Both games are ultimately about controlling territory, its just planetside does it with 3 factions and DF does it with clans.

Comparisons of planetside with things like cod are unfair. Cod is tupperware pvp just like wow or whatever. Planetside is a rvr game.

Have you played PS2 yet?

It is nothing like PS1, and has more in common with modern day shooters like BF3 or CoD than you seem to be aware of. It's not an unfair comparison by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not a persistent world like the first game?

Is it all instanced timed matches bullshit?
    Originally posted by SirFubar

Sorry but I fail to see how a FFA PvP can have something more meaningful than PS2. Could you explain me what kind of depth and meaningful impact on the game world DFUW will have??

The clan city system is totally different from taking a base in PS2.  A clan in DF actually owns the city, has to defend it, but gets special resources from it (while resources in PS2 are almost meaningless - they are VERY important in DF).  There is no PVE in PS2, but in DF there are mobs all over the world that are completely unique to a given geography.  Access to a particuar city means access to a particular pool of mobs (and the unique drops that come from killing them).  When you go into the enchanting system you really have to scour the entire world for the things you need.

Taking a city requires a lenghty multi-hour siege process... not a 5 minute base flip like PS2.  The stuff in the city also has to be built (at first) and can be destroyed any time - you can't destroy a base in PS2.  Players have a real attachment to their city and it feels like a home - there is little sense of base attachment in PS2.  In DF you will go out and scout the surrounding countryside around your city for enemies, as well as raiding enemy cities - PS2 you don't have the same sense of territory defense.  The cities in DF are all designed individually and are completely unique - while in PS2 bases are cookie cutter based on a few types.

It's not a persistent world like the first game?

Is it all instanced timed matches bullshit?

Both DFUW and PS2 are completely persistent.  There are no timed matches unless you count a siege as a timed match - but anyone in the entire world can participate without limitation.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by SirFubar

The clan city system is totally different from taking a base in PS2.  A clan in DF actually owns the city, has to defend it, but gets special resources from it (while resources in PS2 are almost meaningless - they are VERY important in DF).  There is no PVE in PS2, but in DF there are mobs all over the world that are completely unique to a given geography.  Access to a particuar city means access to a particular pool of mobs (and the unique drops that come from killing them).  When you go into the enchanting system you really have to scour the entire world for the things you need.

Taking a city requires a lenghty multi-hour siege process... not a 5 minute base flip like PS2.  The stuff in the city also has to be built (at first) and can be destroyed any time - you can't destroy a base in PS2.  Players have a real attachment to their city and it feels like a home - there is little sense of base attachment in PS2.  In DF you will go out and scout the surrounding countryside around your city for enemies, as well as raiding enemy cities - PS2 you don't have the same sense of territory defense.  The cities in DF are all designed individually and are completely unique - while in PS2 bases are cookie cutter based on a few types.

you have missed the SOE live last night, or choose to ignore it, anyhow there will be bases that player can build in ps2, not olny build , design as well.

Also players ownership is coming.

on the other hand, we have DF:uw which is fater what 4 years then DF came out and failed as hard?

also tkaing bases can take an hour and over that easy.

from your post you seem to live in a place where DF was a great game, and DF:UW will blow people out of thier mind.

it wont, its the same failed game with some better things that in all manners should have been in the game from the start.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Playing both, but since character progression will matter a lot more in DF:UW, probably playing that more.

I don't really see the versus here though.  They are both PvP-focused MMOs but that's where the comparisons end.

I look forward to exploring the new world of Agon and discovering its secrets.