Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why are you not playing Vanguard?

12346»

Comments

• redman875redman875 illinois, ILPosts: 230Member

Why am i not playing?

Well its a standard issue themepark.  This horse has been well beaten and is dead...the whole elfs and what not high fantasy game.

An in game card game (diplomacy) doesnt cut it as something extraordinary.  The crafting mini game of spam clicking the icons wasnt complex or interesting, Both mechanics were nice attempts however, and better than what mot attempt which is daring to be the same...

Also, its dated by now, and if i can recall, was using a poorly performing game engine.

Im sure the community is fantastic, the really annoying gamers follow whats popular and this isnt it.

Im sure the themepark endgame of raiding is great as well.

Been there done that.  Sandbox of GTFO (imo)  Give me my pve grind served in a high risk pvp enviroment...and by risk i dont mean a silly debuff and a trip back to my bind.  Give me a guild vs guild territory conflic system rather than a two, three or however many faction borefest ect.

Vanguard launched at the pinnical of this type of game being cool, right before shit turned into a low risk pvp borefest with no progression.  It caught the high water mark on its trip down for this type of game.  SOE never helps the situation and not sure if they ever will.

Ill hope for a comeback with games kind of like this, with less focus on rushing everyone to a queued pvp endgame.  But this game missed its mark and missed its chance, and will forever be a very niche game..which is an odd place for a "dime a dozen" game like this.

• boojiboyboojiboy Hudson, WIPosts: 1,535Member
    Originally posted by tuppe99

Installed the game last night and it actually does not look bad at all.

The graphics is not worse that WoW for instance and looking at the Unofficial trailer on youtube that someone on these forums posted the link to, the game looks to be much more like what a lot of people on these forums want.

So, why are you not playing it?

Sometimes I think no game will ever satisfy us MMOers on these forums. Or we all play WoW secretly ;)

I played VG from launch for over 3 years.  It's by far the best MMO I've ever played.  I've very seriously thought about rejoining the game.

• erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by zimike

Vanguard was a great game. The only thing holding me back from playing, would be the lack of a sustained playerbase.  

If somehow the population would explode, then I would be back in a heart beat.

I cannot see this game making a comeback. 

Er, you realize that all the devs came back, it went free to play, and has had a huge population boom, right?

And OP I AM playing the game. No reason not to. It's got the best PvE in the industry bar none right now. Amazing dungeons with lots of challenging group content.

Well your dev team tripled in size that is the truth.  However a huge population boom??  I just looked at the server status for telon it is still sitting at medium.  Better than this time 3 months ago sitting at low.  One server at medium is not huge by any standard.

For a "dead" MMO not at primetime, that's pretty good.

I been checking the past few days it is medium at prime time as well.  One server,  it is still better than the past year of being a low populated server but if you had this so called boom where are the ques to get into the server and why are there no plants to add one. 

• MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,170Member Uncommon

I was there at Launch, worst Launch up to date then.....poor code, only high end machines could run it with graphics on max.

+ the majority of the community left after the first month or so.

in short: it wasn't worth the money and there were much better alternatives at that time.

So why join now?  Reluctant because of the experience I have with $OE + the game at the beginning.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I dont play because of the graphics, the clunky ui and the sub par animations. Just not a very good game in my  opinion. I have given it more than enough chances...

• KandriaKandria 1Posts: 2Member
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    I dont play because of the graphics, the clunky ui and the sub par animations. Just not a very good game in my  opinion. I have given it more than enough chances...

You are going to miss some of the greatest games out there if you limit it all to graphic/ui/animation.

There are many games which might not have the best graphic but on the other hand shine with unique game elements, a deep story, fun gameplay and much more.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kandria
    Originally posted by Betaguy

You are going to miss some of the greatest games out there if you limit it all to graphic/ui/animation.

There are many games which might not have the best graphic but on the other hand shine with unique game elements, a deep story, fun gameplay and much more.

I agree, Vaguard does have some annoying lag problems but the game is good enough to ignore those

• BiskopBiskop AvalonPosts: 709Member

I love VG but I'm not playing it anymore.

I don't mind the dated gaphics (although they're are not THAT bad, honestly), the clunky animations, the bad perfomance, the ftp matrix, etc. It's the generic questing and boring combat system that really kills it for me.

After playing games like MO, DF and M&B extensively I just can't bring myself to apprieciate tab-target combat and trinity-based group dynamics. When playing VG I constantly found myself thinking "damn, if this game only had aim-based combat!" 

Of course it would never work due to lag and latency and so on, but the tab-targeting/hotkey mashing just bored me to death. That and all the "kill 10 X" quests; while it was standard game design in 2007 it's now a thing of the past.

That said, VG still has some great quest lines, but the majority of it is still generic crap fed to you by some random NPC dude who seems to be too lazy to finish of 6 scorpions or extract 7 poision glands or whatever (why those exact numbers btw? I never understood why it always has to be exactly 6, 7, 15, 12 or any other random number...  Could't they just say "bring me some poision glands!" or "go slay some boars for me!"? Would be much more believable.).

• LyrieLyrie Clearwater, FLPosts: 3Member
    Originally posted by Biskop

[...]

That and all the "kill 10 X" quests; while it was standard game design in 2007 it's now a thing of the past.

That said, VG still has some great quest lines, but the majority of it is still generic crap fed to you by some random NPC dude who seems to be too lazy to finish of 6 scorpions or extract 7 poision glands or whatever (why those exact numbers btw? I never understood why it always has to be exactly 6, 7, 15, 12 or any other random number...  Could't they just say "bring me some poision glands!" or "go slay some boars for me!"? Would be much more believable.).

They have those type of quests too (No amount given). If you choose Isle of Dawn, and do the "Ascension" line of quests at the end, you will receive a quest where you must spread enough Ulvari blood on your armor. Doesn't say how much, and it appears to be random. At one point, you'll just have enough. There's many more quests like this spread through the game, as well.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon
    i watched some youtube clips and the graphics look like shit....if i want good gameplay with crap graphics i'll go back to WoW.
  • allegriaallegria San Francisco, CAPosts: 682Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    i watched some youtube clips and the graphics look like shit....if i want good gameplay with crap graphics i'll go back to WoW.

VG takes some tweaking and a pretty nice PC to get it to look good. I still think VG is one of the better looking games out there. Although I heavily modded mine via ini and such and run quite a PC. 

Personally I stopped playing shorlty after F2P, i was very  active  before and work took me away... been playing skyirm for a while but i shall return soon. And it got too hot during the summer to 2 box in my apartment lol 

I agree with those who think the f2p model is junk... Gear aquisition is a huge reason people play RPGs and to limit that in a F2P model seems silly to me. I would rather had them put invisible doors in front of dungeons or something lol.

just my 2 cp

• ColumbiaTrueColumbiaTrue BogotaPosts: 47Member
    Originally posted by allegria

Gear aquisition is a huge reason people play RPGs and to limit that in a F2P model seems silly to me.

It is so fundamental to these kinds of games. The people that play Vanguard, under either model, enjoy gear acquisition not only as a fundamental reason but a very important one.

Everyone seems to understand this concept but SOE executives. 

"The truth is EA lies." - Youtube User

Sim City. Everquest. Civilization. Dungeon Keeper. Vampire: The Masquerade. These are the games that I love and cherish.

• nate1980nate1980 Evans, GAPosts: 1,829Member

The graphics is not worse that WoW for instance and looking at the Unofficial trailer on youtube that someone on these forums posted the link to, the game looks to be much more like what a lot of people on these forums want.

Sometimes I think no game will ever satisfy us MMOers on these forums. Or we all play WoW secretly ;)

I'm not playing it because the last time I did, it had serious population issues, a lack of support, and an aggressive community if you ever make a negative comment out of fustration at the games bugs in the chat channel. At this point, it's too little too late on SOE's part.

The game requires too much dedication and learning for such an iffy game. Meaning, while I like a game that requires it, when the game has proven to be a failure, I don't want to waste my time learning all the ins and outs if there's a good chance I may find out later that I can't do everything I want to do for various reasons. 

• LatronusLatronus Lexington Park, MDPosts: 692Member

I was in closed beta and played the game for about 9 months after release.  The game "should have" been what EQ2 never could be.  It "could have" been awesome, but... It was a disaster, memory leaks really killed it for me and $OE did nothing to help me and many others stay.  I won't go back to $OE games.

And for anyone that thinks that the kill 10 mob quests have disappeared, then you are the sucker the game companies have been looking for because they are still there in the newer games, just worded differently is all.

• TorreyHTorreyH Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 42Member
    Originally posted by Tibernicus

Going through a lot of these comments it seems like most people never even played Vanguard, they just assume they know what it's like.

I still play it because it has the best game world and dungeon design in any MMO to date. There are thousands of things to find, and more content than you could ever complete. NPCs actually feel like characters and all of them have things to say, they're not just quest sacks. You can literally go anywhere. There are no instances. And there's an actual penalty for failure ,something all games need.

Yeah, never played, or have a lot of bitterness about the launch.  I'm a classic EverQuest vet - from the start of Kunark.  So I understand what this game was supposed to be, and the only reason I wasn't there from Beta was that my PC couldn't handle it.  And that's why I like it.  Its more like EQ in the early days than any other MMO I've played. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Who runs it?  Oh yeah, that's why.

After neglectiing it completely for so many years, SOE picked it up once more and promised to take care of it again.  We really mean it this time guys, sorry, no really.

So um...how willing are you to trust and believe?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,592Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Who runs it?  Oh yeah, that's why.

After neglectiing it completely for so many years, SOE picked it up once more and promised to take care of it again.  We really mean it this time guys, sorry, no really.

So um...how willing are you to trust and believe?

Not at all, given SOE's past track record.  First and fore most, the phrase New Game Ehancements, comes to mind... The NGE deserves to be used in development schools, for the rest of time, as an example of what NOT to do, in that type of situation. 

Lets us also not forget that it was Sony, who spent so little time and effort on their network security, that resulted in the massive release of player data that we saw.  And not just once...

12346»