Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: From Table-Top to PC

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

At NYCC this year Cryptic brought Neverwinter to the fans with a panel that explains how WoTC and Cryptic are working together to make sure the table-top experience shines through in the upcoming MMORPG based on the classic PnP setting. Read on to find out how they're pulling it off.

Anyone who was lucky enough to check out the Neverwinter Panel at NY Comic Con last weekend got a great taste of Dungeons & Dragons. Not just a normal serving of awesome, but how Wizards of the Coast are working with Perfect World and Cryptic Studios to build Neverwinter. The game looks amazing with some great combat mechanics and quest systems. However, at NYCC the team talked about what it takes to bring a game from the table-top to the computer and why certain things are so critical.

Read the rest of Garrett Fuller's Neverwinter: From Table-Top to PC.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Cant wait...cant wait

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

If this is done right, like, actually done right by Cryptic and PW this could really be a game changer.

I would get so, so much satisfaction out of creating dungeons and zones etc.

And the combat looks interesting at least.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Come on, release that Beta already!

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    raiderz has to come out first, cant have all them people that bought the foundry pack, ditch raiderz for neverwinter before it even comes out ;p
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    The Foundry system is something I think has the potential to change the genre. I'm excited about it, but I'm also cynical that most MMO gamers from the new generation will ignore it completely and move on before it has a chance to fly.
  • montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    Long may the memory of Gary Gygax and TSR remain. Lets just hope Wizards and the game designers dont kill this epic part of D&D history. I look forward to it with some trepidation.
  • FdiskFdisk Member Posts: 3

I want to be excited about this game, and the foundry is definitely something to be excited about! My only issue is the action combat, that's NOT D&D.  I have a huge problem reading all these articles about how they are trying to capture D&D with this game, yet to me D&D is turn-based combat!

We'll see, I'll definitely give it a shot; I hope I get into that Beta soon.

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    i just hope it feels like dnd and cryptic doesnt screw it up somehow.  they are good at screwing things up.  ddo never felt like dnd to me, probably because it wasnt set in a known dnd world but I also didnt like the robots in the game.  maybe neverwinter will get me back into playing a fantasy mmo again, as long as it doesnt have end game wow style raids.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Neverwinter: From Table-Top Legend to PC Failure

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Really looking forward to this.  Not a huge fan of the reticle style combat but I can cope with it if the foundry system is as kick as it sounds.  Finally some really cool innovative sandbox elements.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

It is nothing new just , another Neverwinter. With the customary D.I.Y.

The bonus is that all the Neverwinter releases have been great fun.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

Can we create and design our own little miniworlds with our own rules and the ability to moderate it like we could in the NWN multiplayer games? 

If we can then im gonna get excited. 

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Shana77

Can we create and design our own little miniworlds with our own rules and the ability to moderate it like we could in the NWN multiplayer games? 

If we can then im gonna get excited. 

You can freely set the rulesets, design the maps.

You can create an entire branching bioware-rpg dialogue system if you want - anything and everything you place in the world can have a custom ruleset, can be a trap, can be an objective, etc. The basis is pretty much similar with how you create a tabletop campaign. Hell you can even make monsters and npcs dress and act like you want them to. 

You can't be an actual dungeon master within a game nor create pvp-based competitive dungeons,  but they are looking at adding some sort of DM and pvp-dungeon systems post-launch.  

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393

I'm a long-time PnP DnD player and DM, and I'm interested in what they're doing, but....

I can't tell you how much it concerns me to see characters hitting for over 1,000 dmg in that video. I mean really... c'mon... that is NOT DnD.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

How will the Chinese lockbox/gambling system be implemented?

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Originally posted by TheMaelstrom

I'm a long-time PnP DnD player and DM, and I'm interested in what they're doing, but....

I can't tell you how much it concerns me to see characters hitting for over 1,000 dmg in that video. I mean really... c'mon... that is NOT DnD.

QFT

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Really want to see a trailer for the Cleric, hopefully they release one soon showing it off.

I really enjoyed the Guardian Fighter trailer.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Well it is based on 4th edition rules and not before rules or after rules so yeah it will be easy to do and as some one who is a DM and player of D&D myself and who does play 4th I can say it can be done and have even seen someone do this kind of dmg even in 3.0 and 3.5 edition rules as well. Never seen dmg like this in 2nd and 1st or even before but now its real easy to do.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by nolic1

Well it is based on 4th edition rules and not before rules or after rules so yeah it will be easy to do and as some one who is a DM and player of D&D myself and who does play 4th I can say it can be done and have even seen someone do this kind of dmg even in 3.0 and 3.5 edition rules as well. Never seen dmg like this in 2nd and 1st or even before but now its real easy to do.

Wat?

The largest combo I was able to theorycraft was a Rogue who did ~600 damage tops, and only at the beginning of the encounter, once.

Ashardalon has 1.6k HP 

Aare you nuts? Doing in excess of 1k damage would mean I could one-shot him.

Doing in excess of 1k consistent damage per second like in the video is ridiculous, even for lvl30 characters, even with topped out epic gear, its not even possible imho.

If it is, in 4e, theorycraft or it didn't happen.

Certainly not with lvl ~6 characters, judging from the fact they only have a 25AC in the vid and are fighting imps/devils.

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

Eh there's nothing wrong with the numbers so much as numbers are entirely relative to each other. Since encounter powers will have a cooldown of a matter of seconds, and daily's a matter of minutes (tops I imagine) I am not surprised that the hp and damage would be inflated.

There are ranger builds that hit in upwards of 900 damage a round in 4th edition, 600 damage isn't even that hard to theorycraft, and this is in the table top.

Given that it's A) Not turn based, B) MMO gamers love big numbers, and C) All relative then the numbers themselves don't really matter. 

For example: Say a level 6 ranger hits for 2d10+5 or so with an at will, averaging for 17 damage against a monster that has 100 health. If that same ranger hits for 1700 but the monster has 10,000 health, then nothings really changed except seeing bug numbers fly across the screen.

It's all relative.

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    This looks awesome!
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

They just inflated the numbers by simple multiplication to make it:

1. more impressive
    2. more accurate in terms of calculations(since your pc does not roll a dice and instead indulges into math calculations)
    Its the same as them having more levels per tier - the difference seems to be there, but the difference is not there.

Doing 12 damage to a monster who has 40 hitpoints is no different than doing 1200 damage to a monster who has 4000 hitpoints. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Cryptic today is a sub par development studio. Why people think they can pull off NWN  is mind boggling. The same old  tired  game engine being used! Cryptic haven't brought their inhouse engine up to date in a long time, and  now that dodgy nickle and dime  the gamer asian company now owning them their standards will slip even more.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I will never give Cryptic another dime after STO. Do some research on the dis-satisfaction current and former players have had with STO if you are curious about buying this game but not sure what you have to look forward to.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!