Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Insanely positive reviews? Am I missing something here...

I'm probably playing this game wrongly, must be, but I've recently purchased GW2 reached lvl 40 and disappointed so far..... Is this what AAA mmorpg's have turned into?

If I take this game for what it is, it's decent, has very nice graphics and  smooth gameplay feel and it's no subscription, but the content what I'm used to is just severely lacking.

So far my overall quests have just been too generic, it's a neat way to clean up the UI but overall the quests are nothing ground breaking, infact I found most of them if not all tedius clean up rats quest etc. 

GW2 dynamic events are a rip off from Rift's invasions, they do the events better then Rift but they are hardly dynamic or rewarding, it's a let down as this was one of the games selling point for me. 

Levelling up is just not satisfying, you can unlock all your weapon skills by level 5.  It's an idea, but they could possible implement some sort of levelling up with which skill you use more, so you become more customizable.

Also the levelling is just far to quick you level up by crafting, gathering, exploring, WvW getting skill points etc I'm easily outlevelling the little content what is there.

Also is there even any endgame content? I'm hearing on map chat all the gloom and doom talk about how GW2 is 'already' dying which leads me to think that the endgame is going to suck.

The trait and crafting system is just bland to say the least and the PvP is riddled with problems,  the WvW thing is a stupid excuse for PvP huge empty map (game could do with some mounts btw).  

Personal stories are a nice touch seems like the only quest in the game worth doing, but still the old republic did that a lot better.  

Obviously this game has it's good points, but the 9/10 reviews just doesn't reflect what I've experienced so far. To sum this game up so far: it feels like a mix up between TOR & Rift and not much better than either which isn't saying much.

The game can and probably will be improved but it's not the high quality content packed mmorpg I expected it was going to be, feels like a fantasy action game to mess around on.

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Yes the game has got insanely positive reviews however those reviews never came with a print that 'everyone is going to agree  with us and love the game'.

It is all right to to not like the game;)

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    why is it so important to you that everyone else opinion match yours? that you cant accept the fact that people feel its a 9/10 game is your problem. if you dont like it thats fine..the game will survive your absence.

later

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I don't see the positive reviews  you see, I see way more negative reviews....  I have played it and was dissapointed as well.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Sometimes your opinions aren't in the majority... 

However, you even admit the game is 'decent'..  so maybe this is less a case of the game being crap than it is you holding it to a higher, stricter standard of assessment.

Not much better than TOR?  so you think TOR was close to decent?  Well fair enough, but again, the majority would probably disagree on that point too.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A lot of the problem here is that the game is made for people who enjoy exploration, if you dont you will miss the point.

But to be fair is MMO reviews always exceptionally high.

The game is well made and deserve a high score, but that doesnt mean it is your type of game.Santana is a great guitarrist and I still cant stand him myself, just because something is good does not mean everyone will like it.

• beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46

Because it is pretty. Most the reviewers that give it high marks have barely scratched the surface.

Once you really play the game and get past the shinies, it is an extremely disappointing game.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by beat_down

Because it is pretty. Most the reviewers that give it high marks have barely scratched the surface.

Once you really play the game and get past the shinies, it is an extremely disappointing game.

That is somethign universal for all MMOS. Most of these reviews are rushed. For better prespective and in depth reviews you need atleast a month to play game extensively. Almost every MMO looks and feel awesome in the beginning. SWTOR got such high ratings but we know how things actually turned out later on.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    This is a haters heaven a topic like this... lol heh... Not everyone is going to like the same game one persons perfect game is another person non perfect game. Cant expect everyone to like it.  But if most people do like it and there only around 30,000 that dont. Then yes the reviews are going to be good.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by cataphracht

I'm probably playing this game wrongly, must be, but I've recently purchased GW2 reached lvl 40 and disappointed so far..... Is this what AAA mmorpg's have turned into?

If I take this game for what it is, it's decent, has very nice graphics and  smooth gameplay feel and it's no subscription, but the content what I'm used to is just severely lacking.

So far my overall quests have just been too generic, it's a neat way to clean up the UI but overall the quests are nothing ground breaking, infact I found most of them if not all tedius clean up rats quest etc. 

GW2 dynamic events are a rip off from Rift's invasions, they do the events better then Rift but they are hardly dynamic or rewarding, it's a let down as this was one of the games selling point for me. 

Levelling up is just not satisfying, you can unlock all your skills by level 5.  It's an idea, but they could possible implement some sort of levelling up with which skill you use more, so you become more customizable.

Also the levelling is just far to quick you level up by crafting, gathering, exploring, WvW getting skill points etc I'm easily outlevelling the little content what is there.

Also is there even any endgame content? I'm hearing on map chat all the gloom and doom talk about how GW2 is 'already' dying which leads me to think that the endgame is going to suck.

The trait and crafting system is just bland to say the least and the PvP is riddled with problems,  the WvW thing is a stupid excuse for PvP huge empty map (game could do with some mounts btw).  

Personal stories are a nice touch seems like the only quest in the game worth doing, but still the old republic did that a lot better.  

Obviously this game has it's good points, but the 9/10 reviews just doesn't reflect what I've experienced so far. To sum this game up so far: it feels like a mix up between TOR & Rift and not much better than either which isn't saying much.

The game can and probably will be improved but it's not the high quality content packed mmorpg I expected it was going to be, feels like a fantasy action game to mess around on.

If you are used to traditional Raiding & doing daylies...then yes..they are not in GW2

I would suggest to slow down on events & take a look at this video to learn how to enjoy them at their full potential http://youtu.be/HTF9T4oQ480

Wrong... Elite skills are unlocked starting level 30.... so you need to go up a lot higher than that to unlock all your skills.

Outleveling content is no longer a problem in GW2 with the sideckick system...so relax & enjoy at your pace. No comments on "little content".....lol

Endgame is exactly the same as in other MMORPGS just without the Raiding... you have gear tyo look for..legendary weapons...crafting...exploration...achievements...and so...

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Levelling up is just not satisfying, you can unlock all your skills by level 5.  It's an idea, but they could possible implement some sort of levelling up with which skill you use more, so you become more customizable.

how can you out level content when you get leveled down for that zone?

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

I'm yet to understand why everyone here feels obligated to enjoy GW2. 

The game is fucking well made thats beyond discussion. The value is there, the art, the sound, the gameplay , etc. 

Reviewers should review the product for its value. Personal opinions are obviously a factor in a Review but it should be a note or through commentary. Thats how i see it anyway.  So... if the reviewers gave the game high scores and you don't agree thats NORMAL, they are not saying the game is good for you, they are saying the game is GOOD overall, good as a product !

Are you guys driven by hype ? thats seems the case, make up your minds ffsake. If you don't like it dont play it, there is nothing wrong with it, liking the game is fine as well. You are missing nothing, there is nothing to miss, its just a GAME, you can find another one fit for you i'm pretty sure. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Zzad

Endgame is exactly the same as in other "theme park style" MMORPGS just without the Raiding... you have gear tyo look for..legendary weapons...crafting...exploration...achievements...and so...

Had to fix that for you, there are alternatives, but seldom utilized.

GW2 did not advance this part of the genre which is where it's mostly lacking from my point of view.

Hey, at least they have some WvWvW at the end to keep some folks happy.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Zzad

Endgame is exactly the same as in other "theme park style" MMORPGS just without the Raiding... you have gear tyo look for..legendary weapons...crafting...exploration...achievements...and so...

Had to fix that for you, there are alternatives, but seldom utilized.

GW2 did not advance this part of the genre which is where it's mostly lacking from my point of view.

Hey, at least they have some WvWvW at the end to keep some folks happy.

I agree on your correction.

ty

• cataphrachtcataphracht Member Posts: 50

Don't quite understand how I joined today? This account was created in 04 lol just hardly used, probably should of kept my thoughts to myself as usual just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Content can easily be skipped regardless of downgrading your level, for example when your mission sends you to a 35+ area theres not much point going back to your level 10-20 zone. 

As most suggested game was created well, just isn't for me. Oh well, time to move on.. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I'll never understand all the complaints about 1st of all "I got all my skills by 5" and lack of progression, when that is just 1 type of skill. It is impossible to get all of your skills before level 30, when you unlock your elites. On top of that the other 50 trait points you will get between 30 and 80 which is where you start to really customize your build.

2nd: Complaints about things like actually being rewarded for things you do, regardless of what you choose to do and how you play the game wether it be exploring, questing, crafting, or WvW. Why would you want them to purposely stop you from progressing because you chose to do something like gather a bunch of resources and do a bunch of crafting? Would you prefer they force into only 1 type of activity to progress, even if its doing something you dislike? Its called OPTIONS.

3rd: Kind of goes along with #2, but lack of grind / fairly quick leveling. I take it these people are in the habit of just buying whatever game is popular that month without having read the slightest bit of info about. Theyve said from the start that the game is not a big grind and leveling is fairly even across all levels. If you went into the game expecting it was going to take you 6 months or a year to grind to max level that's kind of your own fault. GW1 was the same way. It didnt take very long to get to level cap.

• cataphrachtcataphracht Member Posts: 50

To be honest options is good but you get rewarded for every silly thing, even turning up to an event and doing nothing I got a gold medal and 2000 xp to boot which is a large portion say what you want but in my opinion thats just wrong. Gathering and crafting shouldn't reward you with exp but what ever it doesn't matter.

What's the point in even having levels then it seems a bit pointless of having a cap at 80 if the game isn't focused around levelling up?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

It's very good at what it tries to be.  Nothing more.

The people that are really disappointed simply didn't do their research, or are angry over fanboy claims about the game.  I'm done playing for now, but it's a very solid B2P game that I will certainly return to.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Joined today so he could post this kind of thread to attempt to get away with it. Sorry, we're watching you guys now. Keeping track.

argumentum ad hominem

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Don't quite understand how I joined today? This account was created in 04 lol just hardly used, probably should of kept my thoughts to myself as usual just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Content can easily be skipped regardless of downgrading your level, for example when your mission sends you to a 35+ area theres not much point going back to your level 10-20 zone. 

As most suggested game was created well, just isn't for me. Oh well, time to move on.. 

Join date is what they have to attack when your post history shows that you're not a regular hater, and when you eliminate their go-to argument of  "You're playing it wrong!"

Plenty of topics on the reviews out there, seems close to a split (the last time I checked the poll) between people who agree with the 9's, and those who think they were overblown and based on very little. Hell, the TTH review came out either first or second day of release and was based almost solely on Beta experiences.

You can argue one way or the other on whether that gives their 90% some odd score more or less credence, but from my perspective that's bad reviewing. Is the game crap? Of course not. But many of the reviews I think were very premature, and therefore suspect.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

To be honest options is good but you get rewarded for every silly thing, even turning up to an event and doing nothing I got a gold medal and 2000 xp to boot which is a large portion say what you want but in my opinion thats just wrong. Gathering and crafting shouldn't reward you with exp but what ever it doesn't matter.

What's the point in even having levels then it seems a bit pointless of having a cap at 80 if the game isn't focused around levelling up?

But there is levels - at lvl 30 you can unlock your elite skills. And other things occur - at lvl 11 you can start adding to your traits, etc. Also, the areas in the game are based on level. You wouldn't want to go to Orr at level 5 thinking you will survive. It is just that they wanted to get rid of the powerleveling that occured in GW1, so your skill and level is downrated when you go to lower level areas.

What is doesn't do and which GW1 and other games  have a logarithmic progession scaling, whereby it takes longer and longer to get to the next level.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Another thread stating the same exact things that have been said over and over again. I guess the "in" thing to do these days is to make posts of the same exact things over and over again. Honestly, who cares what scores the game has. People like it and it's not going to change. If you don't like it, don't play it. That's a pretty simple thing to do in my opinion. You might want to give it a try :)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Razperil

Another thread stating the same exact things that have been said over and over again. I guess the "in" thing to do these days is to make posts of the same exact things over and over again. Honestly, who cares what scores the game has. People like it and it's not going to change. If you don't like it, don't play it. That's a pretty simple thing to do in my opinion. You might want to give it a try :)

+1 QFT!!!!

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    You can't satisfy everyone. Sorry to hear you did not get your money's worth out of it.
  • mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48

As has been pointed out, some people won't like GW2, and you may be one. However, there were factual errors in your post, so you might want to reconsider.

You can't outlevel any content.

and

You don't get all your skills by level 5.

Other than that, if you don't like it, I'd find another game. Personally, I love it.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Joined today so he could post this kind of thread to attempt to get away with it. Sorry, we're watching you guys now. Keeping track.

He joined in 2004.... Paranoid much?