Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 'Shadow of the Mad King' Event Teased with New Video

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

ArenaNet is teasing the upcoming 'Shadow of the Mad King' Halloween event for Guild Wars 2 with a new trailer released this evening. The team has also launched a mini-site giving players a peek at the event's schedule, which will consist of four separate acts, beginning on October 22 and concluding with Act 4 on October 31.

The Shadow of the Mad King event centers on the gruesome story of the tyrannical Mad King of Kryta, who met his end at the hands of his own people hundreds of years ago. The king's body was dismembered and his spirit cast into the depths of the Underworld. As the story goes, the Mad King can return to the mortal world but once a year, and as one might expect, that single day falls upon Halloween.

Check out the teaser below and head on over here for a sneak peek at the full event schedule and other details.

Comments

• SharpKrisSharpKris Member Posts: 17
    this is going to fail sooo bad 
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by SharpKris
    this is going to fail sooo bad 

Oh yeah? Why is that?

• speedymcmanspeedymcman Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Well, the Guild Wars universe definitely hasn't lost its charm.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    also like to know why. i never seen any mmo besides gw2 host an event like this at all. which is more interesting since they specialize in dynamic events lol
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    GW1 had some very fun holiday events  hopefully ANET can continue suit with GW2

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Can't wait :D

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu Member UncommonPosts: 53

never fails that someone has to say something will fail...i wish gw2 the best in the future..if people disagree why even bother posting?? [mod edit]

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    WIll probably log in that week just for the events and of course the devil horns lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• FinitFinit Member Posts: 145

Can I say just how excited the quaggan transformations make me?  They are just so....adorable.  

I would gladly have one of those transformations temporarily than a kitten any day.

My Guild Wars 2 Blog can be found here: Divinity's Reach

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by aligada87
    also like to know why. i never seen any mmo besides gw2 host an event like this at all. which is more interesting since they specialize in dynamic events lol

You must be new to the genre...  Holiday events are pretty common across most MMOs.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by aligada87
    Originally posted by cagan

[mod edit]

Unlike the two of you I'm playing GW2 its not as buggy as your making out . In fact its pretty polished compared to every other mmo I've played this soon after launch .

I enjoy it as a casual game and prefer other mmos like Rift but theres nothing wrong with it and I would like to know how you two can tell whats going to happen in the future . Given neither of you have experianced this event yet ?

Got a crystal ball or something ?

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

waiting for it eagerly!

as for the naysayers, eh, they exist, can give them gold, they'll find a way to say something bad about it , who cares? 

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Ahhh... ok, the long term plan for their black lion chests comes clear...

They are being used to deliver event content like the skins here. I am sure that will push the store sales of keys up to where they want them, but note to self... save those keys that do drop for the holidays.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Halloween never failed in GW1, it was charming, huge social event, Lion's Arch was so full that it had 30+ districts (this is overflow server now). Now it comes to GW2, with fully voiced Mad King, I can't wait for his 'bad' jokes and him forcing us to laugh (you die if you don't). Can't wait :D
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Looks awesome, can't wait to see the mad king.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by huihuhuhu

never fails that someone has to say something will fail...i wish gw2 the best in the future..if people disagree why even bother posting??

Agreed. Why would anyone want a game to fail? These MMO's push developers to try harder and it is a win win for us.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Kewl, looking forward to it!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    [mod edit]
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]  This will be an EPIC event aside all the awsome puzzles and mini dungeons they are not going small with this for sure!! and ....well the graphics... dont decieve!!.

Thank you Anet!-you made me love mmos again!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Evnts in GW are great fun, really looking forward to seeing what they do in GW2, also looking forward to seeing what new content they add. I'm disappointed by the use of RNG for the halloween weapon skins, I detest RNG for bought items, it's a gamble and I'm never very lucky at gambling, gambling should never be bought in to games like this. I'd much rather they went in to the shop. It's starting to feel exploitative, it's the kind of thing they never had to do in GW, I understand GW2 cost way more but having already spent more than a monthly sub in the shop I'm not impressed.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

Evnts in GW are great fun, really looking forward to seeing what they do in GW2, also looking forward to seeing what new content they add. I'm disappointed by the use of RNG for the halloween weapon skins, I detest RNG for bought items, it's a gamble and I'm never very lucky at gambling, gambling should never be bought in to games like this. I'd much rather they went in to the shop. It's starting to feel exploitative, it's the kind of thing they never had to do in GW, I understand GW2 cost way more but having already spent more than a monthly sub in the shop I'm not impressed.

You're kidding right?

Nobody forced you to spend any money whatsoever on the cash shop nor are any of the shop necessary to enjoy the game. if you can't control your spending urges that's not ArenaNet's fault.

As far as RNG items, they are completely optional and not something you need to enjoy the event or have a lasting souvenier from it. I can almost guarantee that you will be able to obtain halloween-themed items in-game only.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

My first experience loading up guild wars 1 was during thier Christmas event.  Some people don't like this kind of thing but I love it.  They are very social, something badly missing from these games, and they give a sense of holiday from the rest of the game and lore.

Lotro had the best holiday events I've seen, so I'm looking forward to seeing what anet cooked up.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I can't wait!  The Mad King events were the best ever in GW1 and I'm expecting nothing less in GW2.  Love Halloween!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by EvilGeek Evnts in GW are great fun, really looking forward to seeing what they do in GW2, also looking forward to seeing what new content they add. I'm disappointed by the use of RNG for the halloween weapon skins, I detest RNG for bought items, it's a gamble and I'm never very lucky at gambling, gambling should never be bought in to games like this. I'd much rather they went in to the shop. It's starting to feel exploitative, it's the kind of thing they never had to do in GW, I understand GW2 cost way more but having already spent more than a monthly sub in the shop I'm not impressed.
    You're kidding right?

Nobody forced you to spend any money whatsoever on the cash shop nor are any of the shop necessary to enjoy the game. if you can't control your spending urges that's not ArenaNet's fault.

I'm referencing the fact that they've already had more money off of me since the games release, which is more coffers in their pot. I don't resent paying a dime, what I do resent is RNG in cash shop items.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by fundayz

Originally posted by EvilGeek Evnts in GW are great fun, really looking forward to seeing what they do in GW2, also looking forward to seeing what new content they add. I'm disappointed by the use of RNG for the halloween weapon skins, I detest RNG for bought items, it's a gamble and I'm never very lucky at gambling, gambling should never be bought in to games like this. I'd much rather they went in to the shop. It's starting to feel exploitative, it's the kind of thing they never had to do in GW, I understand GW2 cost way more but having already spent more than a monthly sub in the shop I'm not impressed.
    You're kidding right?

I'm referencing the fact that they've already had more money off of me since the games release, which is more coffers in their pot. I don't resent paying a dime, what I do resent is RNG in cash shop items.

That is what I am confronting. You shouldn't feel resentment towards something that you are not entitled to.