Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One

Comments

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048
    Originally posted by Wizardry

It is funny because FFXIV is on par or better than most other games on the market but becuase the FFXI fans had a gripe,others jumped on the bandwagon.The content Sqaure has added just since the failed launch is more than otehr games entire content package.

The old saying "you get what you paid for is still true".The only reason FFXIV failed is becuase it's true fans have been playing the best design ever in FFXI and were near impossible to pry away.FFXIV would had to be a near godsend game to take FFXI players away from an already great game.

FFXI players have been so satisfied that  all the yhad asked from Sqaure was to update the graphics.Sqaure got greedy and figured a newer version would warrant more money,a graphic upgrade would not.This does NOT mean FFXIV is a bad game,it just emans it is not as good as FFXI,but neither is any other game.

To show what i think of all the other shallow game designs,if i was not playing FFXI,i would probably play FFXIV  before any other game.

The ONLY other game i see coming that warrants my money is Archeage.i support game design effort ,not what a developer tells me is good,i use my own judgement.

I would have to agree with most of this post. As a long standing and currently playing ffxi player I and many others just wanted a graphics update. Hell you could even keep the characer models and armor the same (they are still gorgeous). All you would have to do is redesign the environments honestly.

I'm not sure if other games out are worse than VIX but then again I haven't played them and probably won't either. Also I do know there is a large community in xi that just doesn't have the pc nor the capability to build a pc that could play xiv. Give those a while and many of them will jump ship most likely.

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    This game burned me hard when it first came out, I'm not giving it another chance to. I hope its everything you guys expect it to be, but I doubt it will, unfortunately.

• SSJGotenx268SSJGotenx268 Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by Quicksand
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Oh, Final fantasy.

Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

Things will be different this time, wont they? WONT THEY!?

This.

And I cant wait for the re-release, Its going to be legend.....wait for it......

DARY!

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

what a terrible opinion piece. your whole article just sounds like you are holding a grudge against the game which has made excellent strides. You used no worthwile information about the current state or the upcoming ARR and apparently have not done any research since you got the name wrong twice which was pretty laughable.

If you're going to write an article about a video game, you should probably actually play it and do some research instead of "poking your head in" whiich, in a game like this, requires more.

It is articles like this that people see and ultimately get turned off by. Just like that ime this site slapped that big FFXIV negative review up the day before a really big update was released, haha.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

I am sorry, but this was a terrible write-up.

I was looking forward to this game but after beta testing it and crying for 48hours i dicided to not buy the game because in my eye's it was broken for good.

When i think of ARR i get this feeling off .... It's just too good to be true if they actually pull this off ...... I won't be the first one to buy it because right now im busy with GW2 and other stuff but i'll sure keep my eye on it as i am a huge FF fan and i think the world design is amazing in this game.  I want to see a video of solo / group combat and if taht looks good i'll get it.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,957
    Originally posted by Nitth

I don't think their game was "unfinished" I do believe it didn't resonate with most people.

It was terribly unfinished!

- The combat system was a horrible clunky joke! The whole controls were cumbersome at best.

- The game was severely lacking content! To such an extend they had to put a daily limit on the leve system to directly control people's leveling progression and came up with a "we care about people's health" excuse! LMAO! You forgotten about that one?

- There were basically no dungeons and absolutely NO endgame content! Reason number 2, they actively tried to control people's leveling progression, so they won't reach max level any time soon!  Pretty much all dungeons and endgame content were patched in the game the last year or so! So there was nothing to do the first whole year, other then leveling classes and tradeskills.

Why you think they cut the monthly subscription so quickly and made the game B2P until about 8 months ago this year? The game has been B2P/F2P for over one and half year, until they felt like the game had enough content to enable the subscriptions again. /shrug

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    He, he, ... I enjoyed a lot reading your review. And I mainly agree in all accounts. Why they are investing so much is - imo - because of Japanese pride. And because of players that have invested in 1st version of game. But would be honest to give to us at least some discount or even free client. Or at least - speaking for us that have purchased 14 at start - free trial for at least week.
  • DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

Oh, Final fantasy.

Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

oh so true

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Originally posted by tixylix
    My problem is there is no info how to get back into the game and their account service was so bad last time, they didn't even have paypal, you had to use clickbuy... maybe they changed it since but it was poor.

This!

The entire effort, from creating an account, to account management to having to pay a higher monthly subscription for extra character slots, it just showed to me a company that totally did not get. The UI sucked, the website sucked, the engine sucked, the quests sucked, chat sucked. Only good things were the graphics (but they were a slideshow) and the story seemed intresting, what I could see of it.

Everything else felt like a game produced by people who never even seen a computer in their entire life.

It must be said, they did admit they screwed up but right now, the only chance the game has is to give it away for free for month at least and perhaps then start to charge. And it BETTER be damned fucking good and not just the game but their dipshit website as well.

It was clear that this was a japense game. Ever visited a japanese website? Usability is not a word invented their designers ever heard off.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

A lot of my friends played IX and were sure that XIV would be the 2nd coming.  Well most of them have either moved on or gone back to IX.  Personally I would have to agree with OP, it would be far better to take the code from this game massage it more and come out with a new game than it would be to attempt to continually fix this one.

They aren't just "continually fixing" this one. They've been updating the current version, while completely rebuilding a new game for ARR. They have almost completely rebuilt the entire game from the ground up. 90% of ARR is new, from the graphics engine, to the network infrastructure, to the world design, to the content, to the interface, and so on.

It's amazing how people feel qualified to weigh in on a game they have apparently  completely avoided any and all information released about to date. This has all been explained, multiple times, in a number of places, in interviews, articles, videos, even pictures, including right on this site.

Of course, if you're using the OP as your source of information, then yeah, you would be misinformed.

The problem you face as a developer, you have already sullied your reputation, getting gamers to trust you again is going to be a real task.  To start with, give all the people who purchased XIV a free ride for a bit with the new game and discount the new one somewhat might help.  I think trying to resurrect the old one is a very bad idea.

/facepalm

Again, everything you state there has already been covered. Multiple times. You aren't saying anything that SE hasn't already addressed themselves.

SE is aware of this as well. They've said all along, "We have lost the trust of our players, and we have to earn it back by rebuilding FFXIV into a proper FF game".

They have already stated that there will be free time for existing players to come back and try the game for free to see the changes and see if it's more up to snuff for them. They have explained that anyone who purchased FFXIV 1.0 will not have buy to 2.0/ARR. They will be able to download it free of charge. They have also already outlined the tiered pricing for 2.0 and provided that information on the official site.

They've announced a free trial for the game after ARR's release, so people who haven't tried it before will still be able to check it out.

All this information has already been out there, for almost a year in some cases.

The OP claims to have "stuck his nose in" to see what changes had taken place. I'd like to know just how much he even bothered to take in. I doubt it was much at all. Based on the grossly misinformed and heavily biased nature of his post, I'd put my money on him logging in just long enough to look for things he doesn't like about the game without bothering to see what's actually improved - which is quite a lot.

I didn't touch the game for most of the time SE had subs freed becuase I felt it wasn't there yet. I came back after they reinstated subscriptions because it had improved substantially and is actually a genuinely fun MMORPG now. There's a lot more people playing it now with the subs going than there was at any time when there was no subscription. Substantially more people are paying to play it now than were playing it for free for that whole year. That should tell you something. It should at least be a bright, glaring clue to the author of this "article". Clearly it wasn't. And why should it be? Ignorance, as they say, is bliss after all.

It boggles the mind how MMORPG.com lets these "articles" get published. Must be for traffic generation. It certainly can't be because they think they're actually informative or factual.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

It boggles the mind how MMORPG.com lets these "articles" get published. Must be for traffic generation. It certainly can't be because they think they're actually informative or factual

Because sensationalism triggers debate and debate is good for upping the site stats to sell advertising.

And it works as well. I mean... you felt compelled enough to reply, right?

Remember, you are not in traffic, you *are* traffic ;)

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    I think the reason, Adam, why SE are still bothering with the game is because FF is huge in Japan. They need a replacement to XI and a re-wroked XIV made to the Japanease gaming tastes could be exactly what they are looking for after all. It's very easy to write negative columns on a website with a N. American perspective, but the reality is SE likely don't care. The game is made for FF fans, and for the Japnease MMO gaming tastes. Jonny and Janey Warcraft aren't what they are going for here, so whether MMORPG gives FF XIV another chance likely doesn't matter to SE at all.
    Originally posted by Vesavius

It boggles the mind how MMORPG.com lets these "articles" get published. Must be for traffic generation. It certainly can't be because they think they're actually informative or factual

Because sensationalism triggers debate and debate is good for upping the site stats to sell advertising.

If it means setting the record straight and correcting the people who are deliberately spreading misinformation about the game - especially for their own gain (which is pretty sad, but I get it - "it's business"), then I don't care if I'm standing in the middle of a hurricane.

I can not stand seeing blatantly false information being spread about something. There's plenty enough that can be criticized legitimately about XIV as it is now, and even some concerns about where it's going with ARR. Conjuring up ridiculous scenarios and throwing around hyperbolic conjecture is not constructive to the game, nor is it helpful to anyone trying to get a real grasp on what the game is about.

I'm not against criticism of a game. I've criticized FFXIV more than enough my self in the past. Difference is, my criticism has been based on actual facts about the game. Not BS I make up "because it sounds good".

It's irresponsible and rather shameful for MMORPG.com to condone that kind of activity if that's the case.

Originally posted by Illyssia
    I think the reason, Adam, why SE are still bothering with the game is because FF is huge in Japan. They need a replacement to XI and a re-wroked XIV made to the Japanease gaming tastes could be exactly what they are looking for after all. It's very easy to write negative columns on a website with a N. American perspective, but the reality is SE likely don't care. The game is made for FF fans, and for the Japnease MMO gaming tastes. Jonny and Janey Warcraft aren't what they are going for here, so whether MMORPG gives FF XIV another chance likely doesn't matter to SE at all.

FFXIV isn't replacing FFXI. SE has stated this in the past. They will continue to support FFXI as long as there are enough people willing to play it. Right now, FFXI is still doing quite well enough.

It's doing well enough, in fact, that they're releasing a major, full expansion for the game, adding new jobs, an entire new continent and a bunch of new content to do. They're also in the process (though I'm not sure what the timeline is) of updating the interface and some other aspects of the game itself.

FFXI is doing fine.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vesavius

If it means setting the record straight and correcting the people who are deliberately spreading misinformation about the game - especially for their own gain (which is pretty sad, but I get it - "it's business"), then I don't care if I'm standing in the middle of a hurricane.

I can not stand seeing blatantly false information being spread about something. There's plenty enough that can be criticized legitimately about XIV as it is now, and even some concerns about where it's going with ARR. Conjuring up ridiculous scenarios and throwing around hyperbolic conjecture is not constructive to the game, nor is it helpful to anyone trying to get a real grasp on what the game is about.

I'm not against criticism of a game. I've criticized FFXIV more than enough my self in the past. Difference is, my criticism has been based on actual facts about the game. Not BS I make up "because it sounds good".

It's irresponsible and rather shameful for MMORPG.com to condone that kind of activity if that's the case.

I get where you are coming from, but at least they will be balancing it with a follow up piece so well done to them for that.

But, yes... I agree. I didn't think the article had any value (being kind) either.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Oh, Final fantasy.

More like that EX that won't go away.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

I am going to remain optimistic about ARR until it is released. I prepurchased the game months before the original release and it's been sitting on the shelf since about 5 hours into head start. I think the new producer has some great ideas but I believe the game should have been rebranded and everyone started anew. I believe the only reason SE is letting current subs keep their characters is so they can lessen the blow if ARR flops. 

I still play FFXI and would love to see a FFXI-2 but SE can't see past their own noses much less take their fans to heart and actually make something people would buy. 

Oh and Adam. It's kind of hard to take you seriously when you don't even know the name of the rerelease. It's "Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn" How long has it really been since you played?

Vivik-Cerberus
  • m249sawm249saw Member Posts: 5
    To OP, take a journalist class and learn to write.  you wasted 2 paragraph describing ur lame birthday deviating from the topic.  i stop reading after that becasue it bores me, and wastes my time. 
  • TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Weretigar

Adam Tingle You sir deserve A raise. Not only did I feel this way as A person that has Owned and plaiyed all FF games up to 13-2. This is not the first time they slapped us in the face, not the 2nd, and not the third. FF10,10-2,13,13-2,and now 14.

How dare people ask this game to have it's own section while they undermine the truth and try to hide it under the carpet. Ragnarok Online 2 didn't even get it's own section for gate of the new world or legend of the second both which were lightyears ahead of ff14. 

If more of the writers were as brutally honest as you were, besides Suzie because she is pretty honest. I would love this site 3x as much. Thank you for being honest. 

Ps. alyosha17 if you think they are relaunching the game for fun or to make up to the fans your dead wrong. It was stated back at launch that the Ps3 version was being held up by unknown circumstances. Those were the whole fact that the engine they built didn't work with the Ps3 at all. Which is why the graphics are different. Not better, but worse to be compatiable with the Ps3. Btw his opinion has merit since it's bassed on his own personal experience.

What about ff10? It was the first final fantasy that had good story with a main hero that wasn't a teenager sociopath and had realistic daddy issues:P

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by daltanious
    He, he, ... I enjoyed a lot reading your review. And I mainly agree in all accounts. Why they are investing so much is - imo - because of Japanese pride. And because of players that have invested in 1st version of game. But would be honest to give to us at least some discount or even free client. Or at least - speaking for us that have purchased 14 at start - free trial for at least week.

Its already been said countless time, if you have a FFXVI account, you will have a free trial and no need to re-buy the box.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

We've seen plenty of "lackluster" MMOs continue on.  However, this is the first time the MMO is being essentially rebuilt/redesigned.

Yeah, it may look somewhat like FF14 1.0 and play a little like it.  But the engine, the ui, a crap ton of content and numerous systems are being rebuilt from the ground up.  That is significant.  That doesn't mean it won't be as lackluster as its original release.  It does mean however that it deserves a second-chance/fresh look.

• NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205

With how the 1st version did and bad news travels faster then good news that's the stake that could kill it no matter what you do; and with so many MMO's already out there it would have to do something drastic or really beyond anything you could do to actually get people to turn their heads and say "I'll give it a try."

I say it's all in the collectors edition, what they put in it that really hits home with Final Fantasy fans that might make people give it a try.  With those people trying it and liking it they might tell others and gather in more people.

Maybe even do the Item Mall with classic Final Fantasy costumes to draw some in.  It's going to take some good marketing to even make a scratch in the community.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Everyone keeps saying how they are making a whole new game- and i just dont see it .

If we go by what they say, they have almost completely removed everything old from the game and remade it. In a year.

IN A YEAR-while also updating the failed version.

I just dont see making an MMO that fast. Sorry :(

EDIT: Where are the gameplay videos for this new release? It is surely in their best interest to show how awesome they've made the game to win back customers. But they aren't. Which tells me cash grab :(

I'll be using my free week to make sure tho, but im not getting my hopes up

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Toxia

Everyone keeps saying how they are making a whole new game- and i just dont see it .

If we go by what they say, they have almost completely removed everything old from the game and remade it. In a year.

EDIT: Where are the gameplay videos for this new release? It is surely in their best interest to show how awesome they've made the game to win back customers. But they aren't. Which tells me cash grab :(

I'll be using my free week to make sure tho, but im not getting my hopes up

There have been game play videos released already. you can find them on youtube or watch the live letter from the producer videos on the lodestone in which they demonstarte some of the changes.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Toxia

If they were building it from scratch, I'd say an MMO developed in a year would be gross, but they have the frame of the FFXIV MMO. They just need to do vast overhauls on poorly designed systems of the previous development team.

I liken it to Square Enix taking forever to make FFXIII but being able to crank out FFXIII-2 shortly after and FFXIII-3 almost just as quickly.

Still, we don't know if it's enough, so we'll have to wait and see.