Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Release Date Announced at SOE Live Keynote

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Moments ago, SOE president John Smedley announced the release date for PlanetSide 2 during the keynote address of the SOE fan gathering, SOELive.

PlanetSide 2 will launch on November 20, 2012.

Additional PS2 highlights from the keynote address:

• PlanetSide 2 will debut its own internal live-streaming feature (Twitch.tv based) on November 1.

• SOE Player Studio support.

• Partnership with Wikia to develop official wikis for SOE games, including PlanetSide2.

• Name reservations for Alpha Squad members. Players will be notified by e-mail when reservations begin.

• Alpha Squad will only be available until November 15.

• Amerish continent announced. Lot of forested area for infantry to hide.

• Game will ship with all three continents.

• Searhus, Oshur, Hossin continents announced for post-launch.

• Additional vehicles, including buggies, snowmobile, coming soon.

• Outfits 2.0: Uniforms, decals, specialization, recruitment, and browsing.

• Player-owned bases (non-instanced): Coming post launch, players can attack/defend.

Comments

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    Too soon..
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Definitely too soon.

The game has some serious issues at the moment. Issues that I highly doubt will be corrected by the 20th of next month. Bad move imho.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    entirely too soon imo.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    CB is awesome, but I agree too soon. No need to rush. There are so many little things in a FPS let alone an FPS of this size and scale. It can release on 11/20, but I think it would be better servered with more time balancing all the weapons and stuff. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    agreed too soon. still breaking stuff and intoducing new bugs with each patch. really dissappointed they want to launch in a month. 

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

made a thread about this...

me being a fan of the game,  im leaning towards too soon. if they stay on this release date, well......i dont think it will be ugly, but it wont be pretty either.

still optimisitic overall

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

Same day Darkfall:Unholy Wars releases.

Maybe they know something we don't.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    It's a sign that the MMO industry is dying, IMO. They care more about making the Christmas sales than putting out a good game that people will subscribe to. There are so many games on the market that you don't see people playing the same game for years anymore.
  • TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

I too agree that the PS2 launch will be too soon.

Don't get me wrong, the beta feels quite polished and is extremely fun to play 90% of the time (When patches like the last one don't break everything =P), but they've still got a LOT of work to do before it could even be considered ready for launch anytime this year.

*shrugs* I'll just cross my fingers and pray to the MMO gods that pushing EQ:N back will give them more resources to focus on producing the quality game that they promise by that time.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

ill paraphrase from what i said earlier:

weighing the pros and cons,  its a no win situation unless they push the release date back to at least 5 more months or more.

HOWEVER.. 

1. competition is lukewarm when going against planetside 2,   what else is there?

ww2online ? - showing its age

planetside1? - old vets like me can bark all day about nostalgia, but they are going to put that old dog to sleep once ps2 hits

firefall? - openworld pve with instance pvp? 

dust514? - ps3, consoles

tribes? - solid game but  the numbers arent there

Tribes Universe? - when was the last time this game blipped on the radar?

Global Agenda? -  game is showing its age and doesnt have the numbers/scale against said competition

APB? - ..........APB??

Defiance? -- game probably will be fun, but its getting the red head step child treatment by the press (see planetside 1)

Line of Defense? -- too much butt hurt, old scars, lack of budget and drama.

2.  Marketing is much bigger compare to the first planetside

Even if the launch some how..in some miracle fashion that it Bombs bigger than SWTOR and DarkFall combined..Smedley will milk PS2 just so he can get the Forgelight data , and get it ready for his baby  Everquest Next, im certain he'll do just enough hyping and funding just  for that.

3. Content , playerstudio content and game content

Content for planetside 2 will help move the game and mitigate some of the bad launch taste. 

new continents, player owned bases -- ya, the self explaintory "it should of been there at launch" will be screamed at the highest mountain but cant have everything.

Overall, im already getting my canned goods and shotgun shells for the coming bad launch armageddon that will hit Ps2, but me personally from what i have played in beta i will enjoy every bit of it, and if the lack of competition and continued SOE support pushes the game forward,  then in the long run  planetside 2 will be around for a while.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by MikeB

Moments ago, SOE president John Smedley announced the release date for PlanetSide 2 during the keynote address of the SOE fan gathering, SOELive.

PlanetSide 2 will launch on November 20, 2012.

Additional PS2 highlights from the keynote address:

• PlanetSide 2 will debut its own internal live-streaming feature (Twitch.tv based) on November 1.
    • SOE Player Studio support.
    • Partnership with Wikia to develop official wikis for SOE games, including PlanetSide2.
    • Name reservations for Alpha Squad members. Players will be notified by e-mail when reservations begin.
    • Alpha Squad will only be available until November 15.
    • Amerish continent announced. Lot of forested area for infantry to hide.
    • Game will ship with all three continents.
    • Searhus, Oshur, Hossin continents announced for post-launch.
    • Additional vehicles, including buggies, snowmobile, coming soon.
    • Outfits 2.0: Uniforms, decals, specialization, recruitment, and browsing.
    • Player-owned bases (non-instanced): Coming post launch, players can attack/defend.

I am pretty excited about this game. Been playing beta for a while. Not as enthused about some of the more recent changes (base capture mechanics particularly) but I can get by on that. While I think the game is "close" to being ready I am concerned it is not fully balanced as of today. Perhaps things will change in the coming weeks that changes that thought. Regardless, I will be there.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Lustmord

The world will be ending a month after, so they're trying to make as much money as possible before that happens.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    Originally posted by Lustmord

The world will be ending a month after, so they're trying to make as much money as possible before that happens.

True story ^

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

PS2 vs Darkfall UW

I am gonna choose DF:UW, definetly

PS: By the way, it is the first time that 2 MMOs launch on the same day?

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    They need to call in starship troopers to squash the bugs to have any chance of a smooth ride at launch.

As for DF:UW, i have no idea how that will fare, since there has no been real beta with mass players.
    PS2 however has the advantage of having had thousands already playing, giving feedback and data being gathered, so PS2 will be where i go.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I thought PS2 would be pushed back to Jan or Feb next year with recent big changes said to be coming, and hint of Cont Locks. That's a lot of work for them to crunch in the new big changes test them, then launch. Ah well, Nov 20th it is then, I've had good performance with the game since playing in the beta for the last 3 months. I'm all good to Alpha squad all the lagging 4 year old Pc users on launch day and get some nice cert points.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Way too soon, imo.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think they have set themselves up with an unrealistic date.  This is going to be a rough launch, and folks are going to remember that and use it as talking points for the next few years.

Hey it is SOE, and they are know for making questionable choices. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Sirca
    Epic failure incoming I am afraid.

without doubt, huge epic fail, planetside 2 isnt as good as planetside, it has fewer features, its less open ended, it has far too many limits on players ability to develop their toons compared to planetside1 .. so why would you play planetside 2 instead of 1 ?  i really can't see f2p being that much of a draw tbh, especially as the game is extremely heavy on the microtransaction side. But have to say,  ding.. SOE just got better at failing 99image

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I am used to bugs now and if i can survive through ORR in GW2 without losing my sanity i am sure PS2 will be fine. lol

1st november here i come.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

They have 1/3+ more of the game to test and almost no time to exterminate every bug. It's gunna be close!

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Wow way too soon for release.

Steam: Neph

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Originally posted by Boognishe
    Too soon..

Way too soon!!!  Not even released the 3rd continent yet and so much work left to be done....

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This is a stupid move by SOE.  The engine needs major work.  You get into any kind of a firefight with more than a few people the game slows way down, even with a good graphics card.  The game is just NOT ready for release.

Nothing worse than a FPS that runs like a snail in big battles.  

I remember when SOE released EQ2 a week before WoW with an unoptimized engine, took them a year to get it working right.  Typical Smedly move, he does not care one iota that the game is not ready, he wants it out during the xmas season.

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

This is a stupid move by SOE.  The engine needs major work.  You get into any kind of a firefight with more than a few people the game slows way down, even with a good graphics card.  The game is just NOT ready for release.

Nothing worse than a FPS that runs like a snail in big battles.  

I remember when SOE released EQ2 a week before WoW with an unoptimized engine, took them a year to get it working right.  Typical Smedly move, he does not care one iota that the game is not ready, he wants it out during the xmas season.

Well, it sure is depends on what u mean by saying "even with a good graphics card"

My system is around 1yo, and i never had a problem with FPS in PS2. so just coz u think your system is up for it, does not mean it is a "good" system :P 

But yes, WAAAAAY to soon to PUSH this thing out. the cerst been reworked 3 times last month... resusrses too. Alot of gliches and bugs with certs. Outfit/squad/platoon game play have not been working last 3 month. overall they fixed ALOT of bugs last 3 month.... but there is alot of work to be done yet.