Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Not enough funding to make it a big theme park mmo like Everquest 2 was. Will be something like GW2 , sounds like it will suck and be boring if you are into PVE, but will be based on pvp.

This is a thread about EQNext not GW2, go to your GW2 forum if you want to talk about your messiah. The game will be nothing like GW2, last time i checked GW2 was a linear themepark of the same mold as all other themepark.

Smed has already said it will be more akin to Vanguard and EQ1.

EQNext based on PVP lmfao.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

This is great news about EQNext and I hope SOE can pull it off. 

Companies can evolve, just like games can. They are dynamic and they change with circumstances.  It would be great for our genre if we can get the sandbox people want.  Of course, not everyone will ever be happy with any game, but I think this could have a huge positive impact on mmorpgs in the future, if it's done right.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    SOE is starting to hit very hard mmo market. It is getting better and better
  • SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

And GW2 is a Sandbox mmo, there is only one major quest line, everything else is from live events, and you roaming the world to find more. 

What?  Roaming to find more quests makes a game a sandbox these days?  

GW2 is 100% Themepark.  Even WvW resets in the thempark spirit.  You and your guild have absolutely zero impact on the themepark world of GW2.

As far as Smegleys anouncement, it's intreaguing but as an old time customer of his, I won't get my hopes up.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    F*** yes, it's time for big-budget sandbox.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well after testing PS2 voer a few mnoths now and seeing how well SOE are interacting with the community I have a very very good vibe about EQ:Next and I cant wait to find out more details...

As for people saying GW2 is a sandbox all I can respond with is this..

LOL

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Good for SOE.   Hope it is a success.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I figured EQN would be a social sandbox but was worried when Smed was tying "emergent gameplay" with eSports and Twitch plugins. When he said "biggest sandbox.." I got really excited and my fears are subsided for now. What one more year huh?

You have to figure though if you can see AND play at FF next year there will be a reveal before then. Maybe Dave's comment on "late this year" may still happen.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Too bad you can't trust a damn word the guy says.

Seems like everything the guy ever says might be "true at the time or moment he says it" but what shows up ends up being something completely different.

Sorry Smed, nothing you say can be believed.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Too bad you can't trust a damn word the guy says.

Seems like everything the guy ever says might be "true at the time or moment he says it" but what shows up ends up being something completely different.

Sorry Smed, nothing you say can be believed.

well before i would have agreed with you but since testing PS2 over the last few months i would have to disagree..

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    i hope they do ths right but from past experience with SOE i have major doubts. I hope they cut exp gain(if there is exp and lvls) way down and bring back the days of leveling taking months if not years... make it about the journey again and not about the end game.
    Im sure it will involve a supped up version of eq2s dungeon maker and be driven alot by player created content, but that too makes me nervous. Guess all we can do is wait and see.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Best news of the decade

I am very very excited about it.

Now we need Blizzard to announce that Titan will be a Sandbox too

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

An EQ sandbox would be cool. But I have serious doubts about this.

Originally posted by ste2000

Best news of the decade

Are Blizzard still working on Titan? They have mentioned the game for the first time almost 3-4 years ago. Yet we still haven't received any info.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by fivoroth

An EQ sandbox would be cool. But I have serious doubts about this.

Originally posted by ste2000

Best news of the decade

Are Blizzard still working on Titan? They have mentioned the game for the first time almost 3-4 years ago. Yet we still haven't received any info.

When is last time you heard of EQnext news?

Exactly..............

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by BruceYee
    My question is: How much funding would they need to pull this off? and how long would it take?

From the end of the 10 year anniversary book it the last 2 pages were on Everquest Next they didnt say much but they said it was cming

http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/eq25_1.jpg

http://www.everquestnext.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/eq25_2.jpg

Last paragraph : So you can see there a lot to wrestle with and we begin laying the founations of Everquest Next As i right this, we have concept artist and game designers working hard in our studios-taking the lessons of the past, the best parts of the present and the most promising ideas for the future-to bring the world of norrath to a new generation of players, aswell as the dedicated legions of fans who made the everquest franhise timeless. I hope to see you there.

This paragraph basicly says the game been in development for atleast 3 years if not longer so they have put an incredible amount of time into it since you wont see anything on it till next year.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Loke666

Both Rockstar and Bethesda have said that making sandboxes actually cost more. Creating tools for players is not so easy as it sounds, UO already showed that and Lord Brittish have talked a lot about all weird consequenses freedom actually have in a game.

What is cheaper is patching in new content, since the players themselves do a lot of the work but the launchcost will not be lower just because you make a sandbox, no matter what Goblinworks have said.

Sandbox games are supposed to be like tool boxes, which is why Eve has worked so well, CCP 'went with the flow' they let the players choose how the game evolved, maybe its because their a bit closer to their game than others are, when you introduce 'freedom' into a game, then yes, weird things do happen, but i guess thats because when Devs plan game which they envision maybe 3 seperate paths to follow, players will almost always choose the 4th. Themepark games have had their day, but their getting old, very very old. More players now are probably ready for more 'sandboxy' style of gameplay, even if they don't realise it yet, what they want and perhaps, what they need may not be the same thing, can SOE do it though, doubtful, after seeing how dreadful Planetside 2 is shaping up to be, i really have to wonder if SOE can succeed in the MMO market on any level anymore image

They sure are but the problem is that creating those tools take a lot more work than most people assume. That is exactly what Bethesda and Rockstar said in interviews about it and I have a feeling that creating the tolls for a MMO is way more work than for a single player game.

SOE could reuse stuff from SWG to cut production cost  but I have my doubts about that they will, I think they will botch up the whole project.

As for people being more ready for sandbox now, I think that they always have been, it is just that few good sandbox MMOs have existed. I wouldnt really say that themeparks are too old and tired though, MMO themeparks are just 1 1/2 years older than MMO sandboxes (M59, UO). Themeparks problems is more that they have been far too similar for a too long time.

Any good MMO will always get in money, no matter if it is a themepark or a sandbox. However do it need both fun gameplay and good programming. The reason Wow ganked EQ2 was not really that Wow was more fun but because it was so better much programmed (ok, 5 times the budget didnt hurt either).

If SOE either trained up their programmers since last time or hired in someone really good they can actually pull this off. If not they will just add another small MMO to an increasingly long list of smaller F2P games.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Phry

Both Rockstar and Bethesda have said that making sandboxes actually cost more. Creating tools for players is not so easy as it sounds, UO already showed that and Lord Brittish have talked a lot about all weird consequenses freedom actually have in a game.

What is cheaper is patching in new content, since the players themselves do a lot of the work but the launchcost will not be lower just because you make a sandbox, no matter what Goblinworks have said.

Sandbox games are supposed to be like tool boxes, which is why Eve has worked so well, CCP 'went with the flow' they let the players choose how the game evolved, maybe its because their a bit closer to their game than others are, when you introduce 'freedom' into a game, then yes, weird things do happen, but i guess thats because when Devs plan game which they envision maybe 3 seperate paths to follow, players will almost always choose the 4th. Themepark games have had their day, but their getting old, very very old. More players now are probably ready for more 'sandboxy' style of gameplay, even if they don't realise it yet, what they want and perhaps, what they need may not be the same thing, can SOE do it though, doubtful, after seeing how dreadful Planetside 2 is shaping up to be, i really have to wonder if SOE can succeed in the MMO market on any level anymore image

They sure are but the problem is that creating those tools take a lot more work than most people assume. That is exactly what Bethesda and Rockstar said in interviews about it and I have a feeling that creating the tolls for a MMO is way more work than for a single player game.

SOE could reuse stuff from SWG to cut production cost  but I have my doubts about that they will, I think they will botch up the whole project.

As for people being more ready for sandbox now, I think that they always have been, it is just that few good sandbox MMOs have existed. I wouldnt really say that themeparks are too old and tired though, MMO themeparks are just 1 1/2 years older than MMO sandboxes (M59, UO). Themeparks problems is more that they have been far too similar for a too long time.

Any good MMO will always get in money, no matter if it is a themepark or a sandbox. However do it need both fun gameplay and good programming. The reason Wow ganked EQ2 was not really that Wow was more fun but because it was so better much programmed (ok, 5 times the budget didnt hurt either).

If SOE either trained up their programmers since last time or hired in someone really good they can actually pull this off. If not they will just add another small MMO to an increasingly long list of smaller F2P games.

Judging by planetside 2 beta they realy have improved substancialy compaired to when they made EQ2

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by sanshi44

Judging by planetside 2 beta they realy have improved substancialy compaired to when they made EQ2

That do sounds good, because EQ2 was sadly a mess (I havnt tried the PS2 beta). It should actually have been the next big MMO instead of Wow, everyone thought so before release but they gave it away to Blizzard.

A MMO is just as good as its coding. Of course a good MMO needs more than just great programmers but all good MMOs needs that.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Its SOE - i believe it when i see it!

http://eq2wire.com/2012/10/18/soe-live-2012-welcome-reception-live-refresh-for-updates/

“I have to be $$$ honest with you $$$. We have completely $$$ blown up the design of EverQuest Next $$$. For the last year and a half we have been working on something we are not ready to show $$$. Why did we blow up the design? The design was evolutionary $$$. It was EverQuest III $$$. It was something that was slightly better that what had come before it $$$. IT was slightly $$$ better. What we are $$$ building is something that we will be very proud to call $$$ EverQuest. It will be the largest $$$ sandbox style $$$ MMO ever designed. The same exciting content delivered $$$ in a new way. Something you’ve $$$ never seen before. The MMO world has never seen $$$ before. We didn’t want more $$$ Kill 10 Rats quests. We didn’t want more $$$ of the same. If you look at the MMOs $$$ out there, they’r delivering the same $$$ content over and over again. So are we $$$. We need $$$ to change that. When we $$$ released EverQuest, we changed the $$$ world. We want $$$ to do that again with a different $$$ type of game.

What I will commit to is $$$, at the next Fan Faire, not only will you get to $$$ see it but you will get to $$$ touch it. Most of the EQNext devs are in this $$$ room. If you get them $$$ drunk enough they might tell you. They’re led by $$$ Dave Georgeson. Terry Michaels. Vets from $$$ EQ and EQ2. We are remaking $$$ Norrath unlike anything you’ve ever seen, but you’ll recognize $$$ it. I’m sorry we don’t have $$$ anything to show for it, but I wanted to be honest with you $$$ and tell you a little bit $$$ about it. Keep the $$$ faith.”

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's Smedly saying this.

Never forget that.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

It's only playable at Fan Faire next year, so it will be more than a year before the game comes out.

EQNext is using the Planetside 2 Engine, in a year from now that Engine will be considered outdated unless they update it.

Surprised some don't associate EQ with a sandbox.

EQ1 is a semi-sandbox when you compare it to themepark MMO on rails. EQ1 balanced between a sandbox and themepark. People who played EQ1 know it's nothing like WoW, for some reason it's percieved as a themepark for some, but it's nothing like a traditional themepark, you are pretty much able to wander wherever you want and quests are almost non-existant in the early EQ.

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Not enough funding to make it a big theme park mmo like Everquest 2 was. Will be something like GW2 , sounds like it will suck and be boring if you are into PVE, but will be based on pvp.

Haha what? How did you reach this conclusion?

Not enough funding? SoE is one of the most successful MMO companies out there. They had the funds to develop Planetside 2's engine from scratch (and it is an AMAZING engine). And how will it be like sandbox? GW2 is the opposite of a sanbox.

And why does sandbox mean PvP? SWG was PvE oriented, as was Asheron's Call.

Christ.

Thanks Davis, wasnt sure if it was just me thinking his whole post came out of his ***.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Also, if they gonna abbandon the Quest system, you can no longer really call it EverQuest in my opinion.

This sentence doesn't make sense.

Everquest started with absolutely no quests at all.. unless you call the jboots quest a "quest".......

They had a couple things that were more afterthoughts than any actual cohesive questing system, and they didnt even work that well to start.

I remember the hours and days of AC camping for jboots and if those are the "quests" you think EQ will lose and never be the same, I'll be happy to see them go.

EQ2 quests were just a hop of the DAoC/WoW bandwagon.  EQ2 was in development for a very long time (hell even the videos they showed at game shows wasn't the actual finished product).. they surely didn't invent any "questing" system.

They had the funds to develop Planetside 2's engine from scratch (and it is an AMAZING engine).

Looking at the Planetside 2 footage and lighting and animations, it's a a decent engine I think, I just think "amazing" is a bit too far. It's no cryengine.

This discussion has been closed.