Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would You Pay Monthly Subscription Fee For GuildWars 2 ?

crossleecrosslee Member Posts: 11

Simple question/poll for the masses mostly because im bored atm and want to see peoples opinions and reactions.

In a parallel universe where GuildWars2 isn't a buy2play but a traditional subscription based game.

Would you pay the traditional $14.99 monthly subscription fee to play GuildWars2?

would you drop your current subscription based game if you currently play one?

subscribe to both games at the same time?

If you would pay a monthly subscription fee:

Would they have to drop the ingame cash shop to get your subscription money? 

Why you think they deserve or do not deserve that monthly cost?

Let the madness commence. image

"Sheep Will Always Look For A New Shepard. Fact Of Life" ~ My Head

"All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care."
~RavingRabbid

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    should of added a third option that said "I wouldn't pay a sub fee for any themepark MMO"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    I don't pay sub fees for themepark games anymore. That one-trick pony is at the glue factory.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

No way .. graphically, it's a beautiful solo player game, with other players standing in for anonymous NPC's wandering around.

But there is no substance to meaningful interaction with other players and/or character development.  It's OK to play when I'm extremely bored already, but if a subscription went in, then I'm out.

There are games worthy of a subscription, and, lets just say B2P suits this type of game a lot better.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I said it before in another thread. I think Arenanet should be charging $2.99 a month "for server and bandwidth upkeep".

But I answered "No" to your poll simpley because GW2 is built heavly around the Gem-shop, and adding a standard subscription fee would be too much.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Hokie

I said it before in another thread. I think Arenanet should be charging $2.99 a month "for server and bandwidth upkeep".

But I answered "No" to your poll simpley because GW2 is built heavly around the Gem-shop, and adding a standard subscription fee would be too much.

well GS was made to support the not having a sub fee.. you'd have to assume if they had a sub fee they wouldn't have this sort of GS

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I voted no because the game just simply isn't good enough for that in my opinion.  Unless Anet starts stepping up their post game development and actually fixing the game I won't even look at an expansion for it when it comes out.  The game has been out for long enough for them to have made significant headway in fixing the class issues which they haven't even come close, fixing the botting problem, and working on some of the WvW issues which are not fixed.  Average game is average.
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I said yes but it would make me level faster and run around quicker to complete the content.  I would probably go for 3-5 months to make sure I saw most of what I wanted to see then leave.  Maybe come back for big patches.

Personally I think subs are outdated and if you asked me what game I would sub to today, answer is none...

All a matter of opinion but the gaming market is being saturated with dozens of competitors, console, hand held, smart phones and even flash games on Facebook.  Not to mention single player games like Skyrim.  The MMO sub model worked for 10 years but its not viable now as players want value for money and personally I can't see any MMO worth $14.95 pm 'long term'. 

That's why most are ghost towns after 3 months.  People smash the hell out of it and then jump on a FTP or new release.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I voted no, However I could see paying for maybe one month only. This would be just to try out several class that I would like.

Since it does not have a sub, I'm only playing one clss untill im sick of it, then another. This is the only way I could see any re-playabality with this game.

Game with others on screen, It's NOT an mmo.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by bcbully
    hey all.

Hey still trolling a game you dont like still?  How's that working out for ya?

As for the OP's question, indeed I would but the sad fact is it would limit my ability to play any other game.  Like Warz and Torchlight 2 currently.  Becasue all A sub fee does is make you a slave to get the most for your money.  With GW2 I can play 1-3 hours a day, take a few days off or outright farm my ass off.  in a sub based game I would be forced to do the latter creating player animosity and resentment down the road.

Is GW2 good enough for a sub?  Hell yes,  Would I pay for it?  Yes.  Am I glad it doesnt have one?  Damn skippy

Zylaxx on Planetside 2 - "The whole game is a sham what do you expect?"

Zylaxx on EQ Next - "LOL EQ."

Zylaxx on DFUW - "I can 100% guarentee you this wont be worth playing."

Zylaxx on an Indie Dev. - "This "working engine" is as dated as Asherons Call's engine.  And i'd be damned to play an inferior "indie" MMO with shitty graphics"

This is just today mind you. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    should of added a third option that said "I wouldn't pay a sub fee for any themepark MMO"

He want's to know if GW2 is worth the sub fee. Not other games, if you would never pay a sub fee for any theme park then by default you answer here is No.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

image yep wonder how many of those "no" votes were due to this....hmmm

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

He want's to know if GW2 is worth the sub fee. Not other games, if you would never pay a sub fee for any theme park then by default you answer here is No.

The options that are given aren't enough to determine whether people feel GW2 is worth a sub or not.

Let's say that 70% of the voters say "no". This doesn't say whether people feel GW2 is worth a sub or not because maybe some people voted no because there isn't a game they feel is worth a sub yet, others might vote no because they feel that paying a sub is a stupid concept and no game ever will be worth a sub. The current options don't allow for enough information to answer the OP's question.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by romanator0

The options that are given aren't enough to determine whether people feel GW2 is worth a sub or not.

Let's say that 70% of the voters say "no". This doesn't say whether people feel GW2 is worth a sub or not because maybe some people voted no because there isn't a game they feel is worth a sub yet, others might vote no because they feel that paying a sub is a stupid concept and no game ever will be worth a sub. The current options don't allow for enough information to answer the OP's question.

What?

Would You Pay $14.99 Monthly Fee for GuildWars2?

How can you make the question more simple or direct? 

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    No way would I pay a monthly sub or this game.  It got boring way too fast.  I haven't logged in for almost 2 weeks and haven't missed it.  If there were a sub, I would have canceled after the first free month.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I voted "No" but not because I think GW2 is a bad game. I just think B2P fits this game incredibly well. This game supports casual game play in almost every point of view. Such game should not be rushed through (because I pay monthly and I want to squeeze the most value out of that money). So yeah, I think aNet made really good move going B2P many people here on forums do not regard gw2 as great game as hype was suggesting, but still enjoyable and I believe most will buy expansion just to wonder around new places.

All in all, unless you're hardcore PvP player, this game should not be played nonstop and as such monthly fees would only hurt it.

Originally posted by Sentime

What?

Some people wouldn't because they feel GW2 specifically isn't worth it.

I wouldn't because I think paying a subscription for a game is an idiotic concept and a scam.

The OP is asking if GW2 specifically is worth a sub. Hence, the poll options don't allow for enough detailed information.

• crossleecrosslee Member Posts: 11

What?

Some people wouldn't because they feel GW2 specifically isn't worth it.

I wouldn't because I think paying a subscription for a game is an idiotic concept and a scam.

The OP is asking if GW2 specifically is worth a sub. Hence, the poll options don't allow for enough detailed information.

It's as simple as it can be, if you would subscribe monthly vote yes. If you wouldn't pay a subsciption for it, then umm it's not rocket science, click the No button and vote no, imageif none of the above apply to you move along nothing to see here. image

"All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care."
    ~RavingRabbid

What?

But that's just it, they don't want the question to be simple or direct.

What?

I like simple and direct questions. The problem is that on this forum people will take the results and start waving them around as if they prove some point even though they actually provide very little usefull information.

I'm all for simple polls like this, my problem is what people use the results for and how they use them here.

That's why Aerowyn and I feel that there should be an option for people who just don't like subs period. It'll show whether people feel GW2 is worth a sub or not and it'll show whether people people are voting no because they feel GW2 isn't worth a sub or if they feel that subs themselves are just dumb.

Without that option people on these forums will just take the results and use them to push their own personal agendas.

What?

I like simple and direct questions. The problem is that on this forum people will take the results and start waving them around as if they prove some point even though they actually provide very little usefull information.

I'm all for simple polls like this, my problem is what people use the results for and how they use them here.

Basically you don't like how the votes are playing out? and can't use your better judgement [mod edit] a

~RavingRabbid

What?

They have the right to do so. As long as the results are truthful and kept in context, So what?  If they aren't then call them out on the BS. Otherwise make your own poll to counter it.

Originally posted by crosslee

What?

Basically you don't like how the votes are playing out? and can't use your better judgement IF a troll comes along and uses it to prove some point.?!?! im confused lol

I  can. It's other people who can't, and this forum is full of threads about "X game is dying" and "X game sucks" and "don't buy X game". Simply having a well made poll could cut down on all the pointless and idiotic threads so people can actually have a constructive conversation without people waving around half-assed statistics to push their own agendas.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

If I wanted to play, it wouldn't matter if it's f2p or sub. I'd play it if it was good (isn't for me).

I'm not the type of person that has TIME for games I'd "sort of" want to play, in the sense that there's a middle ground where I'd only play something if it's free. Luckily, I have the time to post about it :)

I only play games that are good.

Originally posted by crosslee

What?

Basically you don't like how the votes are playing out? and can't use your better judgement IF a troll comes along and uses it to prove some point.?!?! im confused lol

I  can. It's other people who can't, and this forum is full of threads about "X game is dying" and "X game sucks" and "don't buy X game". Simply having a well made poll could cut down on all the pointless and idiotic threads so people can actually have a constructive conversation without people waving around half-assed statistics to push their own agendas.

Basically insulted others saying they can't get well informed by themselves quote "I  can. It's other people who can't" and want to guide said people without better judgement into your way of thinking?!?!? sounds like your trying to push your own agenda that your oh so against and this poll will somehow make you work harder in completing your goals. . hypocritical? image

~RavingRabbid

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

No, I wouldn't. Monthly fees don't suit GW games IMO. GW1 didn't have one and GW2 shouldn't have one, either, especially considering how much ANet has waves the "no monthly fee" thing around. If they had a sudden change of heart when making GW2, they'd be a bunch of hypocrites.

Expansion packs are the better payment model.