Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I give up.

EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24

Give up.  Seriously.  Playing Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, hell even PSO.  That's all done.

Remember when PC games made you think.  Like really think?

PC games were for the smart people, sans diablo and warcraft of course.

Deep, mentally engaging games that only a few understood.

Remember being a nerd was actually an insult?  It didn't just mean you were some tight pants, hard rimed glasses wearing poser?

Being a "nerd" was not a trendy term, it was what you got called by the jocks as a serious insult.  YOu could be a pussy and take it for what it was, or wear it as a badge of honor and find ingenious ways to  have sex with their sisters/mothers/girlfriends.

Remember when you played an mmo in 1999 and thought "man I wonder what these games will be like in 10 years"?

Did you picture pandas?  Did you picture a mindless pvp zerg gw2 grind?  Did you picture psuedo pedophlia mixed with wanna-be action combat a la tera?

The Secret World is the only game that comes even remotely close to dreams.  But it sells nothing.  It's not even worth.

When you watched star trek and imagined it as a virtual world, did you you picture STO??

The first time you saw an original star wars movie, could you picture SWTOR?

SWTOR is a destruction of dreams.

But then I saw the video of the dude who made wing commander games wanting to make a new game.  His vision is the vision.  His vision of pc gaming in 2012 is accurate.  What he wants to do is what should be done.  It's what we should fork over our hard earned cash for.  A sophisticated experience. 

Not this gear grinding repetative garbage.  Made for complete fucking morons.

I find it sad that when I sit down for video game time, and I maybe have an hour to play, that I end up playing a game that was released in 1994 over the plethora of modern games I have at my disposal.

The fact that an "old school" game can be more mentally stimulating than a new game is sad.

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Now finish the "letting go", and head outside.
  • kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    SWG died almost a year ago. Won't ever happen again because the idiots currebtly running MMO's are morons.
  • c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by kb056
    SWG died almost a year ago. Won't ever happen again because the idiots currebtly running MMO's are morons.

The idiots are morons? is that like a 2 negatives make a positive kind of thing?

Sorry could not resist.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by kb056

Rich morons...

Can you blame them?

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24

For expample hell gate london.  Or is it just hellgate?

Post apocalyptic world   HELLL YEAAHH.  3rd person shooter combat with guns?    SOUNDS GOOD

Log in, tutorial is sound.  Get to the "city", and low and behold:  rows of statues with "!" over their heads.  Asking me to do shit I don't want to do.

Ready for some WoW style bore-fest quests?  nope.  Uninstall.

• Goll25Goll25 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Eh, I like what you have to sell, but the nerd thing (which I see being brought up a lot lately) is kind of a weird topic. Yes, a lot of people call themselves nerds anymore, as if it were a compliment or something... However I wouldn't be so quick to turn into the same asshole you once protested against. Let them go, ignore them, "nerds" are supposed to be better than that, more understanding and reasonable, not hotheaded!! :p

Anyways I been playing MMO's since about 2003, I was in elementary school. I was unable to play some of the better ones due to age/lack of income lol, so I stuck to whatever f2p game I could at the time, and let me tell you - even those games were more captivating then these "AAA" releases. I never thought that in 2012 I wouldn't be playing an rpg where everything was almost "sim" a virtual world. One with open PvP, that had costs to it of course, legit player housing, in the open world, a weather system that changed the world/mattered, crafting making a difference, 100% player driven economy, Different social things to do etc etc...

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Dont get me started OP,dont get me started...

there's a reason why EQ1 has been on my HD since its inception

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Eazydzzz
    Remember when you played an mmo in 1999 and thought "man I wonder what these games will be like in 10 years"?

Was playing Half-Life and Vanilla Unreal in 1999.

Wondered what games will be like in 10 years?  Yep.  Can't say I'm impressed.

Graphics have jumped.  Gameplay... not so much.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Hmmm, I think the new XCOM is out.  Skyrim is pretty great.  The Secret World has the investigation missions and some innovative ideas in the MMO space.  I've heard Darkfall and Dark Souls are damn difficult  Wny not just spend money supporting the games you think are great, and not worry about what other people are playing?  People play games for different reasons, and for you it's obviously for the challenge.  Play what you love, and don't worry about the rest.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Hmm EVE online would have been an MMO for the OP, as for new games, Xcom enemy unknown on classic with ironman enabled is about as "oldschool" as i can remember, it certainly has captured my time since its release.

I personally think the OP needs to have a bit more discretion when it comes to the games he wants to play, you can still play DAoC it just has a small population, you can certainly play EVE which is a very difficult MMO when compared to the others avail. Anarchy Online certainly has the same difficulty as it did when you began the game.

There are choices out there but you have to commit to making them and not expecting newer games to be as hard or thought provoking as those from our late gaming past. 

Anywho, hope you find your game OP, for me i am super happy playing Boderlands2 , Xcom 2012, and GW2 when i get the urge.

Lolipops !

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

I gotta say I must agree to op. Why do people want MMORPG's to be repetetive grinding games for virtual items that will have absolutely no value since a new expansion with "updates to the gear" will be pushed in within 8 months?

Also, instanced PvP or arena PvP for virtual currency that can be converted into items? That's freaking grind, and instanced PvP ain't fun. If I want to play CTF, I go for a real CTF game.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

My Picks

-- Baldur's Gate 1&2, Diablo 1&2, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim (<-- Playing Right Now) - Best Single Player Rpg's

-- Delta Force, Operation Flashpoint. - Best FPS Games Ever

-- Everquest 1, Eve Online, SWG PRE NGE, Original WoW & Burning Crusade - Best MMO's Ever

PS: Check out Archeage if you havin't already if you are into Sandbox Games I highly reccomend checking that game out. It looks Promising.

Cheers,

-Trash

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Woah. @OP:

This might be the longest post of which I´m able to say "I wholeheartedly agree with EVERY SENTENCE".

/signed

Well, they year didn´t treat me so badly like the ones before in terms of gaming.

I´ve got TSW. I´ve got X-COM. These two will keep me happy quite some time, probably until Star Citizen and World of Darkness will be finished. Whatever comes, lifetime sub in TSW means I´ll be logging in until the lights go off or they stop adding new things.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Give up.  Seriously.  Playing Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, hell even PSO.  That's all done.

Remember being a nerd was actually an insult?  It didn't just mean you were some tight pants, hard rimed glasses wearing poser?

Being a "nerd" was not a trendy term, it was what you got called by the jocks as a serious insult.  YOu could be a pussy and take it for what it was, or wear it as a badge of honor and find ingenious ways to  have sex with their sisters/mothers/girlfriends.

Did you picture pandas?  Did you picture a mindless pvp zerg gw2 grind?  Did you picture psuedo pedophlia mixed with wanna-be action combat a la tera?

The Secret World is the only game that comes even remotely close to dreams.  But it sells nothing.  It's not even worth.

When you watched star trek and imagined it as a virtual world, did you you picture STO??

But then I saw the video of the dude who made wing commander games wanting to make a new game.  His vision is the vision.  His vision of pc gaming in 2012 is accurate.  What he wants to do is what should be done.  It's what we should fork over our hard earned cash for.  A sophisticated experience. 

I find it sad that when I sit down for video game time, and I maybe have an hour to play, that I end up playing a game that was released in 1994 over the plethora of modern games I have at my disposal.

The fact that an "old school" game can be more mentally stimulating than a new game is sad.

Easy on insults tough guy. I think i am the only one who noticed irony in your post. 

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I had a similar rant a few weeks ago, I totally feel you OP and I'm also tired of the direction mmos have taken the last 8 or so years. I hope that the pendulum will began to swing away from the hand holding themeparks it is stuck on now. I'm going to load up darkfall now that is free to play for the next month as soon as I get home. Hopefully it will rekindle my love for mmos again.

Edit: I checked the darkfall website and it had nothing about f2p for the month, and PCgamer took down the article, so I'm assuming it is not actually free to play at this time.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Personally, a lot of the 'early' games were far to tedious, with it less about being 'smart' and more about tedious grinding just to do something for a few hours before grinding again to repeat. 

That being said, it did start drifting A LOT towards the casual side, more then I ever really wanted. Sure I like to be able to play more rather then just grind senselessly to play just a little, but come on, going from gear in games being a 'thing to pride yourself on' to 'oh you don't got epics, gtfo' its just gone down hill. Sure, you could still of called it a grind back then, but then it actually INVOLVED work to get what you wanted, it wasn't just bashing your head against rediculously easy to do content till you got the gear with no effort. The 'grinding' was actually working to beat stuff, not just rushing through in hopes of a drop or just using those badges tob uy stuff. You get 0 pride at all for having special gear now a days.

I use to love games like Ragnarok Online where all it literally had was a level grind, but you built your character from the ground up and felt as if they got better through work. You worked on making a build and as you got up in levels your 'efforts' started to show itself as you find your build start to really take shape into its own thing. Most games just give you no option for really 'building' or 'designing' your character at all, any of those options trivialized by how easy it is to 'undo', and many of those games actually dumbing it down more to the point all of a sudden you got what is MOP's "hey look 7 skill choices, its totally more choice not less" and people buying it.

It really bothers me how people seem so absorbed into the developers now a days. Look at GW2. They literally posted a blog post or what not about what to do at 80 (a list with stuff every single MMO out there could have copy and pasted up and it would be nearly indenticle) and yet all the mindless fanboiis jumped on it and went "See, you don't know how to play the game is all" and just basically recited a list that every damn game can reuse and it be true. Pugs... pugs have just gone down hill. With the need for skill having dropped drastically, its just like people don't even put effort in the game. When I can reroll a class on Rift and out damage someone in fresh gear who has gear much better then me with more experience from a class, we have serious issues. 

• saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185

Edit-

Eesh. Gaming in general outside MMOs, I forgot where I was. First rant altered.

That's even more depressing. You know what I've been playing lately? Shining Force. Super Ninja Boy. Destiny of an Emperor. PC games? Roguelikes everywhere. I haven't bought a console game in two years, probably one handheld game in that much time, and Steam has lured me into a number of lesser known and offbeat games, but I still don't find myself attached.

Every now and then, I come across a gem. Mount & Blade Warband comes to mind. Even then, it's so rare, so hard to find something that takes the pointless theatrics out. You want to be like a movie? Have a story like a movie with acting and compelling characters. You want to sound big and important but feed me a story that could be compressed to a 16 bit JRPG while making everything take so obnoxiously long that I lose interest before the first chapter ends? Thanks, no thanks, pass.

Seems like these days it's all about artificial content via multiplayer, thus leading to unimaginative FPS games being cash cows. Skyrim tries, but they take a shortcut with dungeon generation and SNEAK BY ALL THE DRAUGR EVER. Indie games are complete hit or miss. Too many use "indie" as a crutch or decide they want to make an art project instead of a game.

Maybe I'll just go play another round of Nethack. Sure, @ fighting D isn't cutting edge graphics, but the end experience is a lot more fun.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Chris Roberts will only make that "perfect" game if he gets enough money, otherwise it will either not happen, or becomes a lesser game like STO. (Having said that STO is not done yet, and they have had new devs come on board, some from Paragon Studios after CoH closed, so they still have yet to show us what they can add to the game)

Taken from the FAQ

What If You Don’t Raise Enough Money?

We are encouraged by the overwhelming response to our “underground” launch site with over 20,000 registered users that we will reach, and hopefully exceed our minimum goal. We also believe that the response to our crowd funding campaign will cause certain fans and investors to step up with additional funding. Nonetheless, we are offering you the option to have your money refunded (less processing fees), should we really not reach our minimum goal. Or you may leave it in so that we can use it for additional fund raising or to continue working on the game at a reduced level.

Knowing the amount of money that EA spent on SWTOR, they could have easily created something more awesome, but spent it mostly on cutscenes and voice over, and not gameplay

I think the big problem these days, is that consoles and PCs have gotten bigger and better, and too big to decently make an awesome game for the hardware without costing millions. In the days of the Spectrum / 8 bit computers, one person could get the best out of it, now that is not possible, unless it is as simple / basic as a Spectrum game

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    I think MMOs are going downhill generally speaking . The problem I think is that devlopers think they have to make the games easy to appeal to novice and casual gamers .
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Action games are too popular nowadays. So much that every RPG has to be an action game at least partially. I don't mind good ARPGs like Witcher 2, GW2 and New Vegas, but I do miss the days of more tactical games. That's why X-COM is so awesome, even if it's not as complex as JA or Silent Storm.

That being said, I don't think new games are made only for morons. Often they're pretty balanced experiences, with harder things like dungeons mixed in easy general PvE. For example, I'd say GW2's and TSW's dungeons are just as difficult as those of older games like AO and both GW2 and TSW are very deep when it comes to build-making. They just don't allow you to screw up as badly as older games did.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

I have to agree with the OP, I've retreated back into EVE for the near term as it's the only MMO that's managed to hold my interest for any length of time in the past 6 years.

I've got hope for a few titles on the horizon, but suspect I may be playing EVE on and off for many years to come.

They just don't build MMORPG's like they used to.....  and they probably never will again.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by roo67
    I think MMOs are going downhill generally speaking . The problem I think is that devlopers think they have to make the games easy to appeal to novice and casual gamers .

^

+1

• jackbrownsjackbrowns Member Posts: 1

what happened .. i didnt get that 

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

look at it this way: the gameplay+graphics package is constant ove time. graphics progressed a lot. where does it leave us ?

in the past, gameplay was suplementing poor graphics. you had to have something to drive your imagination. you did not think in terms of looks but in terms of abilities.

present games all think in terms of how things look, not how they work.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

......................... and find ingenious ways to  have sex with their sisters/mothers/girlfriends....................

Daddy!