Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

(history) Does the downfall of the Roman Empire sound familiar?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Matrix, NYPosts: 911Member Uncommon
So, since I'm big into the Roman Empire...does the downfall sound similar to you?

Corruption in the government during its collapse, was a HUGE problem. They gave themselves a lot of benefits, controlled what information was heard amongst the population and took a lot of bribes. Amongst other corruption problems.

They brought in cheap labor en masse (Gauls, and not slaves (though Romans did use slaves), but the Gauls got paid and became full citizens)...who later rebelled and took over a large portion of the empire. Even the Roman's own army, consisted mostly of Gauls, other barbarians and mercenaries...the army turned against the Roman empire as well. More than half the Roman population wasn't even truly Roman.

The population was lazy and relied on the Roman government for almost everything. They got free hand outs and many free benefits, leading to the bankruptcy of Rome (among other things)...which played a part in the rebellion of the Gauls.

A variety of events led to the downfall of the Roman Empire, but those are the top things I can think of. There were some other events that led to the collapse, but those were the main things: Corruption, laziness, Gaul rebellion.

All that is 100% accurate of the last era of the Roman Empire. I studied the Roman era quite a lot, some through Wiki, but mostly through reading books on the history of the Roman Empire that I found at a couple libraries and bookstores.

Again. Sound familiar?

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Posts: 2,944Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    So, since I'm big into the Roman Empire...does the downfall sound similar to you?

Corruption in the government during its collapse, was a HUGE problem. They gave themselves a lot of benefits, controlled what information was heard amongst the population and took a lot of bribes. Amongst other corruption problems.

They brought in cheap labor en masse (Gauls, and not slaves (though Romans did use slaves), but the Gauls got paid and became full citizens)...who later rebelled and took over a large portion of the empire. Even the Roman's own army, consisted mostly of Gauls, other barbarians and mercenaries...the army turned against the Roman empire as well. More than half the Roman population wasn't even truly Roman.

The population was lazy and relied on the Roman government for almost everything. They got free hand outs and many free benefits, leading to the bankruptcy of Rome (among other things)...which played a part in the rebellion of the Gauls.

A variety of events led to the downfall of the Roman Empire, but those are the top things I can think of. There were some other events that led to the collapse, but those were the main things: Corruption, laziness, Gaul rebellion.

All that is 100% accurate of the last era of the Roman Empire. I studied the Roman era quite a lot, some through Wiki, but mostly through reading books on the history of the Roman Empire that I found at a couple libraries and bookstores.

Again. Sound familiar?

Yes it does.... I get your point !

• xxtriadxxxxtriadxx TherePosts: 134Member Uncommon

There was a myriad of reasons some deep building over centuries some new(economics) that cam to cause the Western half of the Roman empire to collapse. The Eastern Half continued on long after the West fell.

The Western in one form or another lasted from about 753 BC to 476 AD-  Roughly- 1,229 years.(this is generally considered by most to be the Roman Empire though it wasn't always an Empire it was a Republic for the first few hundred years)

The Eastern(Byzantium) continued on in one form or another until 1453AD..roughly another 1,000 years.

(sidenote- you might now realize why Hitler was so into the "1,000 year Reich" propaganda.)

So overall you can say ROME existed in one form or another for 2,229 years...

They had just about every poltical, economic, corruption, sadism, rebellion, disease you can think of at one time or another. They overcame more then they did not overcome btw.

The USA has no where near the problems Rome did in the 5th century even though yes you can draw comparisons between aspects of this time and aspects of a chosen period in Roman history. You can do that pretty much for any problem anywhere on earth. If Rome didn't have the same or a very similar issue at one time or another its likely based around technology they simply did not have or it doesn't exist.

This discussion has been closed.