Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Randayn: The Odyssey

RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

At level 12 right now.  Im one of those tree dudes cuz it was the best (of the available) zones I want to do.  I had a comment....why, during the story, does this dude make armor for a bad guy that I have to beat that allows him to never die, and then doesn't make it for the ones he's friends with?  Terrible story...

At level 12 and had to log off...so boring.  But, i will continue on, because I must find the "game of the future" in there somewhere...

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    so you broke your promise already.. meh people's words mean nothing nowadays.. also re-make your character pick differn't starting options and your story will change completely in the start.. some are better than others

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    so you broke your promise already.. meh people's words mean nothing nowadays..

I'm sorry....a bit tipsy...will keep my mouth shut :P

Originally posted by Randayn

heh also like my edit says what you pick during CC completely changes you starter story so you could always re-create and try another starting story.. some are more interesting than others

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

heh also like my edit says what you pick during CC completely changes you starter story so you could always re-create and try another starting story.. some are more interesting than others

On a side note, I do like the dagger/pistol combo.   I know, you said choose elementalist, but if you want me to make to endgame, I have to go melee...I dont do casting.....

On a side note, I do like the dagger/pistol combo.   I know, you said choose elementalist, but if you want me to make to endgame, I have to go melee...I dont do casting.....

heh.. thief would of been my second choice for you anyway... sword/pistol is a good one also.. dagger/dagger amd pistol/pistol is a lot of fun as well

heh.. thief would of been my second choice for you anyway... sword/pistol is a good one also.. dagger/dagger amd pistol/pistol is a lot of fun as well

yeah, so far the combat I dont mind (I think warrior had some OP'd skills that kinda forced you to work a certain way.  Thief isn't bad at all.  I do like the combat.  I would like some more skills (not just from weapons) but I know that that's something even GW2 fans are asking for.  See, Im being objective..I do think combat is fun, so far the story is unimpressive...gotta keep trucking though...trying to get 2 hours a day in

yeah, so far the combat I dont mind (I think warrior had some OP'd skills that kinda forced you to work a certain way.  Thief isn't bad at all.  I do like the combat.  I would like some more skills (not just from weapons) but I know that that's something even GW2 fans are asking for.  See, Im being objective..I do think combat is fun, so far the story is unimpressive...gotta keep trucking though...trying to get 2 hours a day in

once you get upto around 30 it starts opening up more.. you will have a lot more utility skills to play with and you will have a decent amount of traits to start building your character... once you get a decent amount of trait points you can really adjust your trait build to make your playstyle very differn't which to me is one of the best features of this game... also higher you get story quest get fewer and far between so guess that will work in your favor.. me personally wish they had 1 story quest per level

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's ok Randayn.  I didn't like the personal story either.  It's one of GW2's weaker spots for me, however, other people like it.
    Originally posted by observer
    It's ok Randayn.  I didn't like the personal story either.  It's one of GW2's weaker spots for me, however, other people like it.

i just took back claw island.. the whole chain of events was a lot of fun I enjoyed it a good deal for an MMO story quest,  my main complaint is wish they had more story quests as now I'm getting one every  couple of  levels.. Story quests also give a lot of XP..

also having several alts some starter stories I found much more fun and interesting than others.

i just took back claw island.. the whole chain of events was a lot of fun I enjoyed it a good deal for an MMO story quest,  my main complaint is wish they had more story quests as now I'm getting one every  couple of  levels.. Story quests also give a lot of XP..

also having several alts some starter stories I found much more fun and interesting than others.

imma keep trucking!

imma keep trucking!

claw island series is around 50-60 so got a little ways to go:)

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Agreed. Wish they explained little more here and there. Hit and miss I guess.

Originally posted by KingJiggly

which i think adding more story sequences so you basically had one every level would help... i find these gaps don't really help.. although most don't play MMOs for the story so guess the fact it even has one with branching paths and multiple choices is just a bonus...

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Ya, the problem is that a lot of the information you have to actively go out and find. Most of the story elements to this game are hidden out in the world.

The personal story actually does a fairly poor job explaining to people the lore & background to tyria as a whole. They have a lot of references dropped into the storylines that only fans of the GW1 lore would ever get. It is very hit or miss.

Hell, even the story the OP objected to is explained, though not very well. I'm really hoping at some point they re-write the story elements of the game.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

nm

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by aesperus

Ya, the problem is that a lot of the information you have to actively go out and find. Most of the story elements to this game are hidden out in the world.

The personal story actually does a fairly poor job explaining to people the lore & background to tyria as a whole. They have a lot of references dropped into the storylines that only fans of the GW1 lore would ever get. It is very hit or miss.

Hell, even the story the OP objected to is explained, though not very well. I'm really hoping at some point they re-write the story elements of the game.

Exactly. I mean for the OPs observation they simply could have stated the armour had "negative ffects on the body  and mind". but instead there is a giant whole in the story which the OP pointed out. Spending some time going over those will be incredibly simple and make the story more whole.

And yes, you do have to go out and fine many of the elements for the story simply in the gameworld. However, shouldn't a story about dragons here since practically the beggining of time describe atleast SOME of there history and past actions? I mean, quite frankly we know even LESS about the dragons than we did before the game even came out. Now, I understand cliffhangers, but they just made it seem incomplete.

I enjoyed for a couple hours running through the Ascolonian area and exploring where I was in the original GWs. I found tons of information, but again it wasn't really info I, nor anyone new, would really care for. We want to SEE it, not just READ about it. You can tell when walking through Old Ascalon some s**t went down, but exactly what is hard to see, much less the scale. The Searing was an incredibly HUGE event, but it doesn't feel like it walking through Ascalon. I feel no emotional attachment to it like I did in the original GW; a beautiful faciful land compeltely destroyed and the remaining stand fighting for there lives. The ash from the sky, the people, the shacks, the rubble, it all felt like the world itself was tearing apart. But in GW2, no where does it feel like that; the immense, emotional and drastic change in the world.

The beggining areas, while incredibly wonderful lack any real emotional attachment. Remember how people would stay till lvl 80 in Pre-searing Ascolon? Well, who wants to now? It also very quick. The only time I felt even kind of attached to a place was in the City (human capitol area). It was huge, beuatiful, I wanted to stay there. I felt small. I felt like this was the alst fortress. P.S. for a race constantly at war with centaurs, trolls, ranom charr, themselves, dragons, they seem to enjoy building random, barely protected cities all over. The beggining zones held no significance to me, and felt kind of stale compared to the original Guild Wars.

The videos. They explained the story decently, but quite frankly I would rather have a NPC moving around. In the original GW, clips would be just NPC sayinfg stuff, and then go pick something up, then come back. It looked horrid. But playing GW2, I realized just how much those style of crappy animated clips were. I could see NPCs doing things, not jsut standing and idly chitchatting to me in some freakishly still manner. It also takes away from the game. In GW, these clips would reveal TONS of art and enviroments as they proceeded. These new videos BLOCK the most impressive thing about GW2: the enviroments. Why do they have a backdrop? It just covers up the enviroment, and keeps from any real immersion into the story.

And what went from a 2 sentence response went to a paragraph party. Sorry.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I havn't really been impressed with a story in a video game in a long long time.  Not since Final Fantasy 7, and Halo was I really enthralled in how the story was unfolding.  But I don't play games for their story, if i want a great story I'd watch a movie or read a book...no...probably not read a book, but watch a movie.  I play games for the gameplay and the difficulty a lot of the times.  You won't see anybody who plays Dark Souls complaining about the story.  They are playing that game to get their asses kicked in a badass, super difficult video game.

Originally posted by slicknslim88

I havn't really been impressed with a story in a video game in a long long time.  Not since Final Fantasy 7, and Halo was I really enthralled in how the story was unfolding.  But I don't play games for their story, if i want a great story I'd watch a movie or read a book...no...probably not read a book, but watch a movie.  I play games for the gameplay and the difficulty a lot of the times.  You won't see anybody who plays Dark Souls complaining about the story.  They are playing that game to get their asses kicked in a badass, super difficult video game.

I actually like the way GW2 presents the story, i just thought they left out details they should have explained.  TSW is another one with great presentation to story (the story in that is pretty awesome).  SWTOR was okay, but the story never hit me (im not a star wars fan though). 

I don't mind the backdrop parts where all you see is the story person and yourself just talking....it kinda reminds me of some older RPG's and how they'd do it.

I think story is very important in MMORPG's though...that's why they have "RPG" in them.  

I will say though, that if an MMORPG can present a strong enough atmosphere, they don't need to tell the story cuz you're living it.  I think Anarchy Online did that well.  I was able to use my imagination to the fullest, which is the best story-telling there is.

• MercurialGMercurialG Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I did an Asura and loved the storyline the whole way through.  I felt it was really engaging from the begining.  Also remember the choices that you make will dramatically alter your story and quests that are offered to you. Near the end of the storyline when you are in Orr can get pretty hard.  Just getting to the green floaty can be extremely hard to do solo.  Orr can be a very unforgiving set of zones.  There are no hearts and 90% of the waypoints are contested.  Most of the time you need to ride the event wave to get to where you need to go.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Tron, I'm working a thief alt, but as an Asura. The Asura story lines are (imo) quite enjoyable. Besides, once you go Asura, the rest of the races seem so... intellectually lacking. Having fun with Sword/Dagger personally. Skill 3 on that combo is a blast.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by DMKano

Why did recent MMOs move away from having a faction system in game?

EQ1 13 years ago had a full blown working faction system where races didn't get along and it made the world as well as lore a lot more immersive. If you played an Ogre you were killed on sight by many races and NPCs that hated them. Furthermore certain classes like Necromancers and Shadowknights worshipped evil/dark gods so they were hated even more.

I think GW2 would have benefitted greatly if it had a real faction system in game, but oh well - didn't happen.

maybe eqnext will bring it back.

The whole idea was to try something different. You know if they had done the same old faction system everyone would have been all like "OMG GW2 sucks so bad. They didnt do anything new. They even have the same faction system as everyone else" , etc

Both systems have their good and bad sides. Faction systems are flawed int hat youll always have that 1 faction that everyone prefers either for a class, or looks, or race, etc. It just results in unbalanced factions, causing them to have to do things like offer rewards & bonuses to people for switching to the weaker sides.

At the same time, a system like GW2 doesnt have to worry about that happening. However server populations are a concern, but only to an extent. With pop limits in place in WvW, overall server population isnt such a big deal. They just need to manage to fill in some of the off-peak times on the lower pop servers with enough people to keep it balanced throughout the day. If things go ideally, in the end every server will be at least close to max pop in WvW at most times, resulting in a lot of good fights between fairly equal numbers and really setting the good servers apart from the bad rather than it being  a matter of who has a bigger zerg. Perhaps once they turn off the free transfers things will start to even out a bit as new players fill in the lower pops and cant transfer to the dominant servers. They could at least disable free transfers to those servers and still keep free transfers to a lower pop server open.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Tron, I'm working a thief alt, but as an Asura. The Asura story lines are (imo) quite enjoyable. Besides, once you go Asura, the rest of the races seem so... intellectually lacking. Having fun with Sword/Dagger personally. Skill 3 on that combo is a blast.

Yeah I found the Asura one of the better races to play. Even moreso due to their small size when doing stuff in close quarters like some of the jumping puzzles.

Sylvari seemed about the worst for me as far as storyline. And have you seen that freaking male Sylvari dance.... it was amusing as hell watching it for its ridiculous factor but man... just wow.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Definitely, didn't like the story for my main, the engineer charr, but i like it far for my thief human and my husband's norn ranger is a drunk and his helper in the story keeps making references to their drunk party night LOL

Maybe since he shares the same interest he should play the Norn race perhaps?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Yeah I found the Asura one of the better races to play. Even moreso due to their small size when doing stuff in close quarters like some of the jumping puzzles.

Sylvari seemed about the worst for me as far as storyline. And have you seen that freaking male Sylvari dance.... it was amusing as hell watching it for its ridiculous factor but man... just wow.

I tried a Sylvari, twice, and really couldn't get into them. I don't know if it's due to the profession (elementalist most recently) or the race itself, but it didn't stick. Maybe as a mesmer it would be different, I don't know, but I had three mesmers in GW1, trying to stick to my one here. The Asura dance is pretty good. The human "Shuffling" dance is spot on, they nailed that one beautifully. I like the Charr "tribal" dances actually... knowing what they're based on and tying it to the Charr themselves and their lore has me now thinking it was a brilliant choice. Norn are silly.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I tried a Sylvari, twice, and really couldn't get into them. I don't know if it's due to the profession (elementalist most recently) or the race itself, but it didn't stick. Maybe as a mesmer it would be different, I don't know, but I had three mesmers in GW1, trying to stick to my one here. The Asura dance is pretty good. The human "Shuffling" dance is spot on, they nailed that one beautifully. I like the Charr "tribal" dances actually... knowing what they're based on and tying it to the Charr themselves and their lore has me now thinking it was a brilliant choice. Norn are silly.

My favorite race remains Norn, by very far. But then, I'm mad of celtic/nordic lore in "real" life, so I just love the setting.

Asura are funny, and I will definitely slowly level my engineer, but I still prefer Norn, even after trying all races until at least 15+ (during beta or after release).

I'll eventually play a Charr if they ever make them able to run on two legs, like the Charr NPCs can. They look quite badass with a weapon, but I can't get into the 4 leg running animation.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !