Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Beta Begins this October

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The beta for Wizardry Online, an MMO re-imagining of the classic RPG, Wizardry, will begin on October 29. SOE president John Smedley announced the date this evening at the SOELive keynote address.

Wizardry Online is a hardcore MMO spin on the classic dungeon romp gameplay of Wizardry, featuring permadeath, fiendish monsters, and brutal traps.

Comments

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    lol spend 2 weeks lvling then die lose everything :D i love this game already
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by health001

Yeah, it's great!

Until you realize there is an item in the cash shop that allows you to cheat death, in a game based around permadeath. Pretty much the very essence of pay to win.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

My interest is going to hinge around the permadeath feature I guess.  In the original classics, a character could be resurrected provided either a living party member could resurrect them, or the party could drag their body back to a temple (ie. main town), and pay for fix-me-ups.

If my memory still serves, a character would only be permanently dead if the entire party wiped (and their status went from DEAD to LOST), or if they had an irreversible condition, such as ERADICATED.  [caps because thats how the original game displayed conditions.]

Flat-out perma-death might be desirable to some, but it doesn't seem to capture the spirit of the original classics.

Unless I'm wrong about the new games policies .. my info on what they're doing is from news over the past year about this MMO - maybe it has changed.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Great, they are making all multiplayer LAN games to be played online only now and adding cheesy item shops and/or subs. Gamers need to stop falling for this garbage.

Games like Diablo 3 and sounds like this one too use to be buy the multiplayer game and you also can play online for free. I doubt this will be a persistant world to this game.

Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

Yeah, it's great!

Until you realize there is an item in the cash shop that allows you to cheat death, in a game based around permadeath. Pretty much the very essence of pay to win.

whoah man i didnt even think about that .If that is for real then this game is crap IMO

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Pardon me for saying this but,,,, about DAMN time we get a hardcore mmo! Very much looking forward to this!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Yeah, it's great!

whoah man i didnt even think about that .If that is for real then this game is crap IMO

I see it says "Avoid Permadeath" on the mainsite but where does it say it will be a cash shop item?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Yeah, it's great!

You expected more from SOE?  Its why I get all hysterical reading about al lthe praise planestside 2 is getting, those poor SOB's are i na for a rude awakening when SOE shits all over that game too.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

just get rid of john the smelly and soe would be an awesome company (no joke)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

Yeah, it's great!

THe item I saw only gives you a chance to cheat death, it isnt even a sure thing.......With SOE at the helm, this is a wait and see game....Didnt they list a launch date of December 2012 not long ago?

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Never knew wizardry was under the SOE label nowadays

Good stuff :)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Karteli

My interest is going to hinge around the permadeath feature I guess.  In the original classics, a character could be resurrected provided either a living party member could resurrect them, or the party could drag their body back to a temple (ie. main town), and pay for fix-me-ups.

If my memory still serves, a character would only be permanently dead if the entire party wiped (and their status went from DEAD to LOST), or if they had an irreversible condition, such as ERADICATED.  [caps because thats how the original game displayed conditions.]

Flat-out perma-death might be desirable to some, but it doesn't seem to capture the spirit of the original classics.

Unless I'm wrong about the new games policies .. my info on what they're doing is from news over the past year about this MMO - maybe it has changed.

When you die in Wizardry Online you become a ghost - then its all about racing towards resurrection point in limited time, while avoiding reapers and all other horrible stuff that is after you and can perma-kill you.

When you reach the point you can resurrect - it can fail however and you can still permadie, however you can sacriffice some of your loot to increase the chance of you returning to life. 

In case you actually get dead, everything in your warehouse, your achievements, etc is "inherited" by your next character, while everything that is on your body becomes lootable(so in a way its also a risk-reward kind of thing - do you keep your best equips hidden or do you put them on risking to loose them). 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

I got excited until I saw this:

http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

Someone doing an actual successor to the real Wizardry. The Japanese versions are ok but between the MMo version and Sony, this will probably turn into a big cash grab where you buy your way out of the grave. Was excited fpr it but now I have got my old school jiuces going.

Probably check it out in the meantime though since the above mentioned game doesn't ship until 2013.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yeah, it's great!

I see it says "Avoid Permadeath" on the mainsite but where does it say it will be a cash shop item?

They may be wrong, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption to make considering theyre going about advertising it as a permadeath game then going "Avoid permadeath". One would assume that most likely it is going to be a cash shop thing.

They may have some mechanics in game allowing you to build up some sort of charges or whatever that allow you to avoid permadeath X number of times. But my guess would be, if so, its going to be some sort of long & boring grind to build it up making most people not want to do it when they can just pay for it.

I could see them doing something where like you have to reach certain milestones to regain a charge on your "avoid permadeath" meter thing, wether it be completing a certain amount of content, or gaining X amount of XP, or paying X amount of money (which is likely difficult to get). Something like that.

Either way it would likely be a system where those paying $ are able to experience mugh higher and riskier content & better rewards because they can die repeatedly and not lose it all. So you would basically be giving the people paying not only more lives, but as an added effect of that, better rewards, making it pretty P2W.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Yuui
    Originally posted by Karteli

When you die in Wizardry Online you become a ghost - then its all about racing towards resurrection point in limited time, while avoiding reapers and all other horrible stuff that is after you and can perma-kill you.

When you reach the point you can resurrect - it can fail however and you can still permadie, however you can sacriffice some of your loot to increase the chance of you returning to life. 

In case you actually get dead, everything in your warehouse, your achievements, etc is "inherited" by your next character, while everything that is on your body becomes lootable(so in a way its also a risk-reward kind of thing - do you keep your best equips hidden or do you put them on risking to loose them). 

I like the sounds of it to be honest, it sounds a bit like Dark/Demons Souls, when you die you lose all the souls you have acquired ( souls are currency for everything, no way to bank them other than spending)  and if you can get back to your corpse you can retrieve them, but if you can't and die on the way again they are gone forever.

I like the sound of this game and will be willing to give it a try, as long as the cash shop is 100% avoidable and using it isn't necessary to progress faster or something.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :/ this game no longer interest me i don't like perma deaths in online games with progression  its just asking for trouble

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Yeah, it's great!

They may be wrong, but I think it's a pretty safe assumption to make considering theyre going about advertising it as a permadeath game then going "Avoid permadeath". One would assume that most likely it is going to be a cash shop thing.

They may have some mechanics in game allowing you to build up some sort of charges or whatever that allow you to avoid permadeath X number of times. But my guess would be, if so, its going to be some sort of long & boring grind to build it up making most people not want to do it when they can just pay for it.

I could see them doing something where like you have to reach certain milestones to regain a charge on your "avoid permadeath" meter thing, wether it be completing a certain amount of content, or gaining X amount of XP, or paying X amount of money (which is likely difficult to get). Something like that.

Either way it would likely be a system where those paying $ are able to experience mugh higher and riskier content & better rewards because they can die repeatedly and not lose it all. So you would basically be giving the people paying not only more lives, but as an added effect of that, better rewards, making it pretty P2W.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5350940

I've described this system before at the link above.

There are two "tiers" of death.

The first time you die you turn into your ghost form and can run back, get your corpse (before it gets looted by other players, FFA full loot PVP), and then to a resurection shrine, at which point you have a chance to revive or turn into dust.

If you turn into dust, you can go back to town, to a resurection shrine, and pay souls (and other items) to balance out your "soul level".

The more often you die, the harder it gets to balance out. The higher level you are, the harder it gets.

The maximum chance of resurection is afaik 96%.

If you fail to resurect from Dust, your character is gone forever together with your items.

Cash shop items for resurection only differ from ingame items in one thing, they always give you 96% chance of resurection (at least thats what I understand from it).

You also apparently share your "soul level" across all characters, so PVP and Player Killing influences it. This means that you can't have a PK character and not worry for your PVE character, because your actions influence all your characters.

Its a very refined and interesting system in handling permadeath, far better than Dark/Demons Souls.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Never seen this until the other day..

Sounds pretty cool.. i like the perma death idea and i love the open PVP with loot...

Only thing i dont really like is the asian style graphics.. never been into that..

Still i signed up for beta as i want to cehck this out :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Horrible game design, it will be just a huge gankfest.  You have to be a masochist to even think about playing it.  If you think this game is going to be free to play you are mistaken, the item shop will be selling a lot of those resurrect character items and you will need them.

Wizardry was always a fun game, in this game only a few will find fun.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Horrible game design, it will be just a huge gankfest.  You have to be a masochist to even think about playing it.  If you think this game is going to be free to play you are mistaken, the item shop will be selling a lot of those resurrect character items and you will need them.

PK has several severe penalties.

1. your character gets ejected from most cities and can only use facilities (res shrines, stores, repair shops) found in other, dangerous, places (think nullsec EVE)

2. PK influences your "soul level" accross ALL CHARACTERS, making resurection significantly harder the more you PK (risk/reward)

3. PK characters will be restricted from certain zones, PVE rewards and dungeons (aka Labyrinths)

Also at SL1 you have a 100% chance to rez with all your items and you do not drop them, so "ganking" newbs is pointless and stupid. It would decrease your own SL for zero gain whatsoever.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

hardcore players are insidious creatures

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

MMOs are too solo oriented. Ther's no reason to rely on others. We want a group focused MMO!

MMOs are too easy. We want a dungeon to challenge us!

Death means nothing in today's MMOs. We want risk!

Solution: Wizardry Online Beta begins October 29th, 2012

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by AdamTM

1. your character gets ejected from most cities and can only use facilities (res shrines, stores, repair shops) found in other, dangerous, places (think nullsec EVE)

2. PK influences your "soul level" accross ALL CHARACTERS, making resurection significantly harder the more you PK (risk/reward)

3. PK characters will be restricted from certain zones, PVE rewards and dungeons (aka Labyrinths)

Also at SL1 you have a 100% chance to rez with all your items and you do not drop them, so "ganking" newbs is pointless and stupid. It would decrease your own SL for zero gain whatsoever.

I'm interested in reading more about Wizardry Online's mechanics. Where did you get that info from?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by AdamTM

I'm interested in reading more about Wizardry Online's mechanics. Where did you get that info from?

A year of reading bits and pieces of previews and beta/alpha testers on the net.

In the post on the previous page i linked a post i made in the wizardry forums, it then has a link to a 4 page Onrpg preview (a horrible one, mostly pics).

Its hard to find concrete info on this game, but the Onrpg article covers some points i made.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

so now the 5% of DF players that thought that the full loot, free for all, pvp wasn't hard core enough will have something to play.

it might be a novelty for a week or so but i guarantee you 99% of mmo players will not have the patience and stubburness required to play this sort of game.....especially when the hard core gakers realize they have to band to gether to survive and you get hordes of gankers always running arround in large groups.