Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim it's gotten from the press and gaming sites?

Comments

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

I played both SWG and EVE and I liked them. I will say it again, GW2 requires cooperation, not social interaction. There is little to no required social interaction besides dungeons. Sure it is beneficial to have people around me, but in no way is this a social incentive, because I have no need to communicate with those people. As far as viewing other people as competition, often this led to social interaction. I would often ask to group to get mobs and drops and often ended up talking to the person for an extended period of time.

And there's the main issue.

You assume that in order for social interaction to exist, it needs to be 'forced'. I'm telling you that it doesn't. From there you then deduce that a game can only be social if it forces social interaction. I'm telling you that's not true either. Cooperation is one of many mechanics in place that support social interaction.

The only determining factor when deciding if a game is 'social or not', is if it both has an environment that supports social interaction, and it has a community of players that regularly interacts with one another. GW2 has both. Again, I understand where you're coming from, however that doesn't make the game anti-social, it makes you anti-social.

You're expecting the game to do all the work for you when it comes to interacting with others. However, I can't think of a single video game that does this completely. Everyone single one (even the ones that force a certain degree of it on the player), have a point in which you need to take the responsibility upon yourself and initiate.

I can't speak for your personal experiences with the game. However, what I can say is that every time I login to GW2, even during off-peak hours, people are talking to each other. People are joking in map chat, looking for groups, teaming up for events, talking strategy, warning people about stuff, asking questions, etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure how a game gets more social than that, tbh, unless it could somehow teleport people to your room, give them alcohol and a sense of humor. And if that game exists, I would totally play it.

I PLAY GW2. It is one of the least social games I have ever played. There are numerous posts around the internet about the lack of social interaction. Your experience might be different, but lots of people have had the same experience that I have had. There is a reason so many people are calling it a "single player" MMO. The very fact that we are having this discussion lends credence to this. I don't hate the game, but I am not trying to make it out to be something that it isn't..... which is a very socially interactive game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I PLAY GW2. It is one of the least social games I have ever played. There are numerous posts around the internet about the lack of social interaction. Your experience might be different, but lots of people have had the same experience that I have had. There is a reason so many people are calling it a "single player" MMO. The very fact that we are having this discussion lends credence to this. I don't hate the game, but I am not trying to make it out to be something that it isn't..... which is a very socially interactive game.

this is something that has happened in every themepark i have played since wow..  now with GW2 it at least takes away the barriers other games had(kill stealing, node stealing, owPVP) and adds things like it's DE system to actually bring players together.. if anything out of all the themeparks out GW2 offers more social interaction oppurtunities just due to the DE system alone than any themepark out there.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

this is something that has happened in every themepark i have played since wow..  now with GW2 it at least takes away the barriers other games had(kill stealing, node stealing, owPVP) and adds things like it's DE system to actually bring players together.. if anything out of all the themeparks out GW2 offers more social interaction oppurtunities just due to the DE system alone than any themepark out there.

Do you even read what I posted previously or do you always join in conversations in the middle and add  your two sense? I already explained that there is a difference between passive cooperation and actual interaction. I even explained how kill stealing can actually lead to more social interaction. The problem with the DE system is the soft grouping. It allows for a completely solo experience outside of passive cooperation. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You decide. I am only stating as to why some people might feel this isn't more of a CRPG than an MMO. Sure the systems are in place for social interaction.... the fact is the pretty much removed the need for it.... which again is a personal preference as to whether you like it or not......

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I PLAY GW2. It is one of the least social games I have ever played. There are numerous posts around the internet about the lack of social interaction.

I think the assumption that social interaction = social game is flawed.

A basketball team for example players hardly talks to each other during games (besides pass! I'm open! shoot!) and yet often teammates become good buddies.

One communicate only when it is necessary to communicate. If something is already at a mutual understanding direct communication may not be necessary.

Chatter doesn't equal friendly.

Do you even read what I posted previously or do you always join in conversations in the middle and add  your two sense? I already explained that there is a difference between passive cooperation and actual interaction. I even explained how kill stealing can actually lead to more social interaction. The problem with the DE system is the soft grouping. It allows for a completely solo experience outside of passive cooperation. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? You decide. I am only stating as to why some people might feel this isn't more of a CRPG than an MMO. Sure the systems are in place for social interaction.... the fact is the pretty much removed the need for it.... which again is a personal preference as to whether you like it or not......

you have still yet to say a themepark out within the last decade that requires social interaction to enjoy the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I PLAY GW2. It is one of the least social games I have ever played. There are numerous posts around the internet about the lack of social interaction.

A basketball team for example players hardly talks to each other during games (besides pass! I'm open! shoot!) and yet often teammates become good buddies.

One communicate only when it is necessary to communicate. If something is already at a mutual understanding direct communication may not be necessary.

Sure, but the fact that they were placed in a common area and were forced to communicate often led to other conversations and spurned further social interaction. In the military, we often interacted socially with people with whom we had nothing in common. This is because we were often in places together and were forced to communicate with each other often job related in the beginning....

you have still yet to say a themepark out within the last decade that requires social interaction to enjoy the game

Pretty much any game that uses mechanics other than soft grouping or solo friendly mechanics like what I have described in my posts. Do I really need to spell it all out for you? I took you to be much more intelligent than that. There was a reason I didn't respond to your post. I thought it was obvious..........

Sure, but the fact that they were placed in a common area and were forced to communicate often led to other conversations and spurned further social interaction. In the military, we often interacted socially with people with whom we had nothing in common. This is because we were often in places together and were forced to communicate with each other often job related in the beginning....

have you done much WvW?... chat is going constantly in that to get people in the right places.. people coordinating what keeps to take over and defend.. the entire premise "requires" social interaction to get things done.. more so than any feature any themepark has had in a very long time in my experience

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

You interact socially DURING social situations though (such as barracks, or gatherings). Much like ppl will interact when they are in Lion's Arch. Which I see all the time.

You won't exactly chatter when you are in the middle of the firefight and clutter the channel won't you? (sure you might say go! go! go! or grenade! but that's not social interaction more like instruction or notification of action). 

You interact socially DURING social situations though (such as barracks, or gatherings). Much like ppl will interact when they are in Lion's Arch. Which I see all the time.

You won't exactly chatter when you are in the middle of the firefight and clutter the channel won't you? (sure you might say go! go! go! or grenade! but that's not social interaction more like instruction or notification of action). 

I don't see it when I play. The fact that I work with people and talk to them at work, makes me much more likely to socialize after work. Downtime while grouped is a perfect example. Often when you or a group member are OOM or waiting on health regen you talk about other things. Also, actual grouping gives a person a sense of being needed. Outside of dungeons, soft grouping is like being one of the masses. No one really knows how the other one plays or even if they contributed beyond spamming the "1" button repeatedly......

Anyway I am out for the night. You guys have fun playing whatever game makes you happy. That is all that really matters in the end.

• muchavezmuchavez Member UncommonPosts: 199
    Nothing earth shattering /genre defining but its definately the best mmo to come out in 6+ years

Pretty much any game that uses mechanics other than soft grouping or solo friendly mechanics like what I have described in my posts. Do I really need to spell it all out for you? I took you to be much more intelligent than that. There was a reason I didn't respond to your post. I thought it was obvious..........

this is my point I have played ALL these games.. i have not found any themepark in the last decade to be any more socially interactive than GW2.. Everyone has come down to the guild I was in as many people spend a good portion of their interactions with their guild.  All are geared to allow you to easily solo to cap this s just how these games are nowadays... for example i don't see how you can call sitting and asking 5 people to join my group to take on a champion mob a great deal more socially interactive than GW2 where we all can just tackle the mob... think the main thing is GW2 is much more faster paced than many are used to and faster paced games don't allow time to talk as much between encounters.. but to me i don't need to sit and have a 10 min converstation with someone about if they have time to tackle this mob for it to feel like im playing with others and interacting with them.... also again WvW to me is far more social interacting than most features other themeparks offer especially outside my guild...  in other MMOs when I did do raids it was always just with my guild for the most part.. in GW2 i  WvW with my guild.. without them either way it's a lot of fun and lots of interaction going on.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Compared to the press and acclaim big budget WoW clones usually get, yes.

Any big budget MMO release gets TONS of good press, way too much for what an average/below average game they all turn out to be.

GW2 deserved its praise a LOT more than games like AoC and SWTOR and TSW and LotRO and all the others got. It actually had some interesting mechanics that weren't slapped in as gimmicks and doesn't feel identical to WoW, which is more than just about any AAA MMO of the last 7 years can say. (except Vanguard).

That being said, the praise it got was still too high. Compared to the last 5 years of MMOs, its a good solid game, even great in some areas.

Compared to ALL MMOs over the course of the genre though, it got more praise than it deserves. It is not the Jesus MMO. Standards have just dropped over the years and reviewers and players are so used to the same old shlock that the first thing slightly decent that comes along gets showered with flowers.

this is my point I have played ALL these games.. i have not found any themepark in the last decade to be any more socially interactive than GW2.. Everyone has come down to the guild I was in as many people spend a good portion of their interactions with their guild.  All are geared to allow you to easily solo to cap this s just how these games are nowadays... for example i don't see how you can call sitting and asking 5 people to join my group to take on a champion mob a great deal more socially interactive than GW2 where we all can just tackle the mob... think the main thing is GW2 is much more faster paced than many are used to and faster paced games don't allow time to talk as much between encounters.. but to me i don't need to sit and have a 10 min converstation with someone about if they have time to tackle this mob for it to feel like im playing with others and interacting with them.... also again WvW to me is far more social interacting than most features other themeparks offer especially outside my guild...  in other MMOs when I did do raids it was always just with my guild for the most part.. in GW2 i  WvW with my guild.. without them either way it's a lot of fun and lots of interaction going on.

I get it. You like the game. I'm happy for you. I don't hate the game myself.  It is fun for what it is. The experience you are having may be different for other people based off of personality types, servers, and guilds. Apparently a lot of people feel this way since there are numerous posts on several sites. You yourself have responded to these posts on this site. All I was doing with my post was presenting my idea as to why lots of people may feel this way. Obviously there is something that is causing them to say that. One or two posts you might say they are trolls. When you have a plethora of posts, there is something more. I am not bashing the game. I am only stating why I believe people feel this way because I do too sometimes.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

One thing that is different is that while approaching or doing a quest, in the pve playfields, I don't recall getting or sending any invites. In other games it seemed to happen quite often, two, three times a day maybe. Most of the time, but not all there was a little chat going on. Sometimes times we just jived, and there was a lot.  Plenty of those people became friends.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Its an interesting game that gives players the choice of Solo or full of interaction.  but that will completely depend on the players preference, play style, mood, experience, guild their in, if they're in etc  all of which are subjective and independent to the player.  In my experience not once did I ever chat during an DE, or dragon encounter cause I was just too busy trying to survive and fight.  Afterwards I did chat a bit but it seem because of the fast paced nature of the game that a lot of players just teleported to the next DE area which didn't leave much for social interaction vs the interactive combat.  But again I have to emphasize that I've always been the lone wolf going into mmos but when there is a chance to chat and interact I will but I won't go out of my way to.   In any case, either case GW2 offers lots of chances to interact, talk work together etc but it will always come down to the type of players that are around.   Overall a great game to jump in and out of.
    Originally posted by bcbully

One thing that is different is that while approaching or doing a quest, in the pve playfields, I don't recall any getting or sending any invites. In other games it seemed to happen quite often, two, three times a day maybe. Most of the time, but not all there was a little chat going on. Sometimes times we just jived, and there was a lot.  Plenty of those people became friends.

That really is the biggest flaw of the game. By removing all barriers between grouping and non grouping people tend to play in the same area... but not together. In big encounters, people don't form up into groups, they all just individually attack the big monsters and then go their seperate ways. There is little to no talking, and almost no grouping. I find the only time I can get anyone to respond is by sending them tells, and most people are content just soloing.

It is nice actually seeing other players out in the game world, but they feel like bots more often than not because no one talks or works together beyond picking up a downed person.

There is little to no reason to group, so people don't do it. It's as simple as that.

In other games that started off really group oriented, as soon as they made soloing more appealing, the social feel of the game goes away. There's a difference between "forced" grouping and encouraged grouping. This game doesn't encourage it, so it doesn't happen. A culture of socliazing doesn't materialize.

I get it. You like the game. I'm happy for you. I don't hate the game myself.  It is fun for what it is. The experience you are having may be different for other people based off of personality types, servers, and guilds. Apparently a lot of people feel this way since there are numerous posts on several sites. You yourself have responded to these posts on this site. All I was doing with my post was presenting my idea as to why lots of people may feel this way. Obviously there is something that is causing them to say that. One or two posts you might say they are trolls. When you have a plethora of posts, there is something more. I am not bashing the game. I am only stating why I believe people feel this way because I do too sometimes.

think you still missing the point.. the issue you are having is present in ALL these games that have come out in the last decade or so.. you are making it seem like GW2 is the only one or its way more so because of  it's "soft grouping" truth is all these games many people play with a more solo oriented mindset..  at least GW2 i'm playing most of my time with actual people talking or not unlike most other MMOs I have played recently

think you still missing the point.. the issue you are having is present in ALL these games that have come out in the last decade or so.. you are making it seem like GW2 is the only one or its way more so because of  it's "soft grouping" truth is all these games many people play with a more solo oriented mindset..  at least GW2 i'm playing most of my time with actual people talking or not unlike most other MMOs I have played recently

<----------------solo mindset, this stems from older games where I hate relying on players to get something done. but i'm still open to interact with others if the opportunity is there.

Saying "I know it's bad but other bad games are just as bad" isn't a very good response.

True, I actually see other players in GW2. But they act more like bots than people.

The last 7 years of themeparks catering to solo players are more or less just as bad. But SOME of those themeparks gave benefits to grouping and had a SMALL social atmosphere, whereas in GW2 it's more or less nonexistant.

And it IS a widespread opinion. Its always met with "Find a better server" or "find a guild", but neither of those two things are the reason for this phenomenon.

• ZikariZikari Member Posts: 78
    There should be a middleground answer. It's a very good game, with a lot of fresh an innovative elements. But it definitely has it's flaws and most of them have not been acknowledged in the overly hyped reviews. So yeah, it deserves praise, but it is not the second comming...
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

It was overhyped prior to release - no denying that.

But taking the game as it is for face value - it's good. It's worth the box price to me, and I continue to enjoy it.

I think it deserves good press, it's a good game. I would go so far to nominate it for GOTY, but I don't know that it should necessarily win or not. Writing another book of the bible and naming it after ANet - going a bit too far.

I do get it. I just don't agree with you. Read above. Some other people just posted on the same topic and one explains it rather eloquently. I agree that most other theme parks do have an issue when compared to older MMOs, but not to the extent that GW2 does. GW2 took it to a whole new level. Your experience is apparently a lot different than others. I don't know what else to say to you. 

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Saying "I know it's bad but other bad games are just as bad" isn't a very good response.

True, I actually see other players in GW2. But they act more like bots than people.

The last 7 years of themeparks catering to solo players are more or less just as bad. But SOME of those themeparks gave benefits to grouping and had a SMALL social atmosphere, whereas in GW2 it's more or less nonexistant.

And it IS a widespread opinion. Its always met with "Find a better server" or "find a guild", but neither of those two things are the reason for this phenomenon.

which is not true at all in my experience,, guess it just depends how you play the game

on a totally different subject and I'll probably get a warning for derailing the convo but honestly don't take games too seriously just enjoy and come in  with half glass full even with these discusssions.  The reason I say this is cause reccently I just went through major surgery and had major complications which cause me to stop breathing twice.   Then during my recovery I was given so much medication that I had stopped breathing again.   When I was told about this I realized life is just too short and its just not worth aruging over the small stuff.  I'd rather just enjoy whatever comes my way.   :)