Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim it's gotten from the press and gaming sites?

Comments

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46
    I think the first one was right.  I think it is the best of 2012.  I think the others listed were over-stated to some degree.  It tried some new concepts and I like quite a few and hope it does influence future games to consider including some of them such as removing the competition in PvE where only 1 person gets the node/xp/whatever and everyone else queues up in a @$#$*%^ line.  But it ain't all roses.  Luckily I never read any of that crap anyway.  I just tried the BWEs and then decided I liked it enough to buy.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I am playing the game...i socialize..i communicate..there you have all the tools to do so.

If someone doesn´t chose to use then it doesn´t mean there are not there.

GW2 is a Massive Multiplayer Online Rol Playing Game. Not missing any of those concepts.

Really? Is your thinking that shallow or are you just trying troll? Other MMO's have challenges that require people to socialize. They require groups. They also have economies that require a lot of interaction between players. Players often are limited on professions and classes and other professions and classes are required to conquer the challenge. GW2 isn't a bad game, but it is designed for a more casual, solo, less social experience. The soft grouping and self sustainability of all classes contribute to this. To some this is a blessing and to others it is blasphemy......

I could say exactly the same: Is your thinking that shallow or are you just trying troll?

Are you trying to say you don´t need to group in GW2 to overcome challenges?

What about 5 man dungeons? Meta events?

C´mon....

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Has gw2 dropped players - YES, heck 3 days after launch you had all these clueless feckers that never read about it going "wot no raidz"

Has it tanked like swtor - lolgtf no way.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by aesperus

Saying GW2 is not a MMORPG...or even a RPG....is the stupiest thing ever....

Some posters here are getting a bit "out of control" bashing on GW2...

...every single day over & over.

And then..not long ago..some claimed "Diablo 3" could be consider a MMO for beeing "online" FFS....

What´s next? A post saying GW2 is not even a game?

I´m fed up with this nonsense ¬¬

The stupidest thing is people who call others opinion stupidest. Disagree all you like but there no need for passive aggressive insults.

With this attitude i doubt anyone is even going to take your posts seriously. I surely didn't. 

Halflife... there's a pretty big difference between someone having an opinion, and someone pulling crap out of their arse. What Zzad is talking about isn't bashing an opinion, it's being annoyed by the amount of BS that gets posted on these forums, and I've got to agree with him.

Examples:

Opinion: 'I don't like GW2 because I felt the personal story wasn't done very well.' or 'I though GW2 wasn't a good MMO, because I think MMOs should have endgame raiding'.

BS: 'GW2 isn't an MMO' or 'GW2 is a WoW clone' or 'GW2 has no customization'

See the difference?

It's one thing to get people who don't like the game for one reason or another (which is perfectly fine). Unfortunately we've been getting mostly option #2, which is batantly stating things that have no basis in reality. What Zzad is talking about are things that have very clear definitions. GW2 IS an MMO by any industry accepted definition, and it is an RPG by an industry accepted definition. Therefor it IS an MMORPG. To say otherwise would be stupid, by any stretch of the imagination.

If I stated that 'Call of Duty is the best MMORPG ever made', I wouldn't be someone stating an opinion. I'd be a moron.

What ZZAD is talking about that anyone who has an opinion that GW2 is'nt a RPG or is lacking as an RPG MMO is stupid. I am not even going to touch 'whether it is MMO or not part because people are free to interpret MMOS and their definitions in any manner they like.

So nope it is still an opinion an opinion he can gracefully disagree with but he chose not to instead resorted to personal attacks as usual.

I dont usually EVER personally attack anyone,there you have my post history to check it out if you wish.

If you took it that way..then you are either wrong or simply didn´t understand my point.

GW2 is a MMORPG....like it or not.... but some posters here for the sake of pure bashing and misinforming are saying plain lies about the game.

Are they making these statements just to bash the game? Do you know that? Maybe it is how they feel. I know a lot have people who have said it feels a lot more like a CRPG or a console coop game because of the little to no communication required to play the game and the lack of social interaction that normally occurs in other MMOs. Maybe that is what they are referring to......

I am playing the game...i socialize..i communicate..there you have all the tools to do so.

GW2 is a Massive Multiplayer Online Rol Playing Game. Not missing any of those concepts.

Really? Is your thinking that shallow or are you just trying troll? Other MMO's have challenges that require people to socialize. They require groups. They also have economies that require a lot of interaction between players. Players often are limited on professions and classes and other professions and classes are required to conquer the challenge. GW2 isn't a bad game, but it is designed for a more casual, solo, less social experience. The soft grouping and self sustainability of all classes contribute to this. To some this is a blessing and to others it is blasphemy......

How is Zzad trolling or thinking in a shallow way?  He explained that he doesn't need to be forced to group or be social.  By your statement, it seems that you want to be required to interact with others in order to interact with others.  Whose thinking seems more shallow?

Show me one statement where he was inaccurate.

GW2 has all the concepts required to be called a MMORPG.  Plain and simple.  Just because it doesn't fit some people's notion of what they think a MMORPG should be doesn't mean it isn't one.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Sometimes, reviews from the press are worth.....

2 cents

Therefore the best is to test games by yourself.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

It's the best themepark MMORPG on the market right now without a doubt. I absolutly love it. It gave me my hope back for the genre. There are a few things off with it, namely bugs and balance issues, which are to be expected with such a new game. But i think overall it deserves a ton of love and every themepark gamer should give it a go. Plus it's BTP with no PTW in the cash shop, and you can even buy everything in the cash shop with in-game money... What more could you want?

The only Mmorpg that might catch my attention after this would have to be a game that has everythign GW2 has, plus a massive sandbox to play in as well, that would be the best game ever imho.

I give gw2 a 9.5/10 as it stands and after a year of updates and new content i'd be willing to go higher.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim its gotten from the press and gaming sites?

For me...NO. Its shallow, repetitive, and doesnt keep me coming back for more. I dont pay much attention to MMO reviews as they all tend to make every game look good. The only gaming review I need are close friends, family, and myself. Its up to to the individual if she/he likes the game or not.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

in what way is GW2 not a AAA game? I have been playing these games forever and can think of only a very small select few themeparks that offered the size and scope and just sheer number of things to do as this game does at launch

Really.. how is GW2 lower quality than any other recent MMO?  TSW?  Tera? TOR?  Seems significantly higher quality to me.  Looking at features, or polish, it's these other MMOs that don't really stack up, not GW2.  Even if not as epic or whatever as I'd personally like, the idea that it's any less than these subscription MMOs just strikes me as so strange.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

I could say exactly the same: Is your thinking that shallow or are you just trying troll?

C´mon....

Meta events I don't have to group directly..... I am soft grouped. I don't really need to communicate, I just observe what is happening and fill in as needed. There is no real socialization. Sure the dungeons require actual grouping and communication, but that is the only part that does outside of SPvP. The world itself inspires cooperation but not socialization. Outside of dungeons, there really is little point to socially interact with other people. Other games have mechanics which require social interaction.

Originally posted by evolver1972

Saying GW2 is not a MMORPG...or even a RPG....is the stupiest thing ever....

Some posters here are getting a bit "out of control" bashing on GW2...

...every single day over & over.

And then..not long ago..some claimed "Diablo 3" could be consider a MMO for beeing "online" FFS....

What´s next? A post saying GW2 is not even a game?

I´m fed up with this nonsense ¬¬

The stupidest thing is people who call others opinion stupidest. Disagree all you like but there no need for passive aggressive insults.

With this attitude i doubt anyone is even going to take your posts seriously. I surely didn't. 

Halflife... there's a pretty big difference between someone having an opinion, and someone pulling crap out of their arse. What Zzad is talking about isn't bashing an opinion, it's being annoyed by the amount of BS that gets posted on these forums, and I've got to agree with him.

Examples:

Opinion: 'I don't like GW2 because I felt the personal story wasn't done very well.' or 'I though GW2 wasn't a good MMO, because I think MMOs should have endgame raiding'.

BS: 'GW2 isn't an MMO' or 'GW2 is a WoW clone' or 'GW2 has no customization'

See the difference?

It's one thing to get people who don't like the game for one reason or another (which is perfectly fine). Unfortunately we've been getting mostly option #2, which is batantly stating things that have no basis in reality. What Zzad is talking about are things that have very clear definitions. GW2 IS an MMO by any industry accepted definition, and it is an RPG by an industry accepted definition. Therefor it IS an MMORPG. To say otherwise would be stupid, by any stretch of the imagination.

If I stated that 'Call of Duty is the best MMORPG ever made', I wouldn't be someone stating an opinion. I'd be a moron.

What ZZAD is talking about that anyone who has an opinion that GW2 is'nt a RPG or is lacking as an RPG MMO is stupid. I am not even going to touch 'whether it is MMO or not part because people are free to interpret MMOS and their definitions in any manner they like.

So nope it is still an opinion an opinion he can gracefully disagree with but he chose not to instead resorted to personal attacks as usual.

I dont usually EVER personally attack anyone,there you have my post history to check it out if you wish.

If you took it that way..then you are either wrong or simply didn´t understand my point.

GW2 is a MMORPG....like it or not.... but some posters here for the sake of pure bashing and misinforming are saying plain lies about the game.

Are they making these statements just to bash the game? Do you know that? Maybe it is how they feel. I know a lot have people who have said it feels a lot more like a CRPG or a console coop game because of the little to no communication required to play the game and the lack of social interaction that normally occurs in other MMOs. Maybe that is what they are referring to......

How is Zzad trolling or thinking in a shallow way?  He explained that he doesn't need to be forced to group or be social.  By your statement, it seems that you want to be required to interact with others in order to interact with others.  Whose thinking seems more shallow?

Show me one statement where he was inaccurate.

GW2 has all the concepts required to be called a MMORPG.  Plain and simple.  Just because it doesn't fit some people's notion of what they think a MMORPG should be doesn't mean it isn't one.

All I did was try to explain a possible motive for other peoples' points of view. If it works for him, I am happy for him. I stated that it was a shallow way of thinking because I also have the same things in regular CRPG and console coop games. Whether or not it is an MMO is up to the person that is playing. I was just giving him a point of view so maybe he could relate to what the other people were saying.....

C´mon....

Meta events I don't have to group directly..... I am soft grouped. I don't really need to communicate, I just observe what is happening and fill in as needed. There is no real socialization. Sure the dungeons require actual grouping and communication, but that is the only part that does outside of SPvP. The world itself inspires cooperation but not socialization. Outside of dungeons, there really is little point to socially interact with other people. Other games have mechanics which require social interaction.

You are basically saying that you need to be forced to be social in order to socialize....

Well i don´t need to be forced...i am social....and the game allows me to be all the social i want...even giving me the option to be in multiple guilds at the same time....

You guys are mixing concepts....

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Unfortunately, games have proven that not to be true.

Few MMOs require you to socialize. Most MMOs are now completely devoid of any social interaction aside from general chat. Games like SWTOR you can technically 'complete' without ever talking to another person. Unfortunately forced group /= social incentives. Especially given that many MMOs pretty much amount to 'find a tank, find a healer, the rest dps and win' for the harder content.

As for economies, I've only seen a small few MMOs really do that well. For example, while WoW & SWTOR have big game economies, they don't require much interaction between players. GW2 is much the same way, except when it comes to obtaining some of the more obscure items (in which case you may have to ask for help from another crafter or other players). This is where games like SWG and Eve shine. They are built for co-dependancy, which leads to social interaction. Most MMOs aren't built that way.

Your assumption is that casual = solo / less social. That's not necessarily true. While GW2 doesn't force socialization on you, it does have quite a few mechanics that not only support it, but make it mutually beneficial. A lot of the dungeons require communication and tactics to be discussed before big fights. In WvW you cannot succeed without socializing. sPvP isn't much different. Furthermore in general PvE people are encouraged to relay events to each other, as they make the events more doable & drop better loot. The way GW2 is designed, more players = better for you. That's a pretty big social incentive.

In most other MMOs, having more players around you = a bad thing. For example, look at TERA. Having players around you = you can get PKed, and / or you are now competing with others to get the mob kills you need for your quest, or for gathering nodes / treasure. TSW has the same problem to a lesser degree. GW2 is really the first MMO in a while to change that. And that is a pretty major contribution that has been a long time coming.

I get that some people think it's still 'not social', because other people aren't forced to talk to them specifically, but that's the catch 22, isn't it. No good game should force you to have to play w/ people you don't want to. However, they should provide an environment to make it both beneficial and rewarding to play w/ others. GW2 does that. However, whether or not you personally talk to other people is entirely on you. Whenever I log in I end up meeting & talking to strangers all the time. I have a friends list full of people I met in game, and even more following me for some reason. The game rewards you for socializing, but it doesn't hit people in the face w/ a keyboard and tell them to type at you.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If you reduce socializing to writting.

And if you consider discussing strategies or group compositions socializing

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

C´mon....

You are basicaly saying that you need to be forced to be social in order to be social....

Well i don´t need to be forced...i am social....and the game allows me to be all the social i want...even giving me the option to be in multiple guilds at the same time....

Good for you! Pat yourself on the back! Now see beyond yourself and realize that some people want that interaction. They want to feel part of something. Lots of people won't interact unless they have to. When the need is created, people are much more likely to interact and socialize. What part of that is hard to understand? Other games' mechanics are better at creating those types of environments. Does it make it better or worse than GW2? That is an opinion. There are numerous posts on multiple forums about the lack of social interaction in the game. Obviously the people posting here aren't the only ones who find this as a problem with the game.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

GW2 is the pinacle achievment of MMO haters.

It's not "forced grouping".  It's making games that require people to socialise and work together to solve challanges.  Of course MMO haters will cry and call it "forced" grouping, and a company like Arenanet masterfully will take their money.  

Hopefully the people that wanted a single player MMO are happy.

C´mon....

You are basicaly saying that you need to be forced to be social in order to be social....

Good for you! Pat yourself on the back! Now see beyond yourself and realize that some people want that interaction. They want to feel part of something. Lots of people won't interact unless they have to. When the need is created, people are much more likely to interact and socialize. What part of that is hard to understand? Other games' mechanics are better at creating those types of environments. Does it make it better or worse than GW2? That is an opinion. There are numerous posts on multiple forums about the lack of social interaction in the game. Obviously the people posting here aren't the only ones who find this as a problem with the game.

I guess some people need to be forced to interact with other people in order to do so....

while if you are not forced but given all the tools to do so...they simply don´t.

Is it the game´s fault?  I don´t think it is.....I think is the player´s choice.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Sentime

GW2 is the pinacle achievment of MMO haters.

It's not "forced grouping".  It's making games that require people to socialise and work together to solve challanges.  Of course MMO haters will cry and call it "forced" grouping, and a company like Arenanet masterfully will take their money.  

Hopefully the people that wanted a single player MMO are happy.

Forced grouping = games that require people to socialise and work together to solve challanges.

Just because people like the fact that GW2 doesn't force you to wait for a group for almost everything you can do, doesn't mean that we hate MMOs or that we want a "single player MMO".

Believe it or not, some people don't need forced interactions in order to be social; they are social because they want to be.

I'm starting to believe that those who like and want the forced grouping are those with the least social skills.  Otherwise, they wouldn't need to be required to interact.  They just would.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Sure, why not? Game is great...

Still, not everyone's cup of tea, but it is great and one step aside from standard Themepark...

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

Few MMOs require you to socialize. Most MMOs are now completely devoid of any social interaction aside from general chat. Games like SWTOR you can technically 'complete' without ever talking to another person. Unfortunately forced group /= social incentives. Especially given that many MMOs pretty much amount to 'find a tank, find a healer, the rest dps and win' for the harder content.

As for economies, I've only seen a small few MMOs really do that well. For example, while WoW & SWTOR have big game economies, they don't require much interaction between players. GW2 is much the same way, except when it comes to obtaining some of the more obscure items (in which case you may have to ask for help from another crafter or other players). This is where games like SWG and Eve shine. They are built for co-dependancy, which leads to social interaction. Most MMOs aren't built that way.

Your assumption is that casual = solo / less social. That's not necessarily true. While GW2 doesn't force socialization on you, it does have quite a few mechanics that not only support it, but make it mutually beneficial. A lot of the dungeons require communication and tactics to be discussed before big fights. In WvW you cannot succeed without socializing. sPvP isn't much different. Furthermore in general PvE people are encouraged to relay events to each other, as they make the events more doable & drop better loot. The way GW2 is designed, more players = better for you. That's a pretty big social incentive.

In most other MMOs, having more players around you = a bad thing. For example, look at TERA. Having players around you = you can get PKed, and / or you are now competing with others to get the mob kills you need for your quest, or for gathering nodes / treasure. TSW has the same problem to a lesser degree. GW2 is really the first MMO in a while to change that. And that is a pretty major contribution that has been a long time coming.

I get that some people think it's still 'not social', because other people aren't forced to talk to them specifically, but that's the catch 22, isn't it. No good game should force you to have to play w/ people you don't want to. However, they should provide an environment to make it both beneficial and rewarding to play w/ others. GW2 does that. However, whether or not you personally talk to other people is entirely on you. Whenever I log in I end up meeting & talking to strangers all the time. I have a friends list full of people I met in game, and even more following me for some reason. The game rewards you for socializing, but it doesn't hit people in the face w/ a keyboard and tell them to type at you.

I played both SWG and EVE and I liked them. I will say it again, GW2 requires cooperation, not social interaction. There is little to no required social interaction besides dungeons. Sure it is beneficial to have people around me, but in no way is this a social incentive, because I have no need to communicate with those people. As far as viewing other people as competition, often this led to social interaction. I would often ask to group to get mobs and drops and often ended up talking to the person for an extended period of time.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Well said.

GW2 promotes a lot more combat/resource cooperative environment whether it is for pvp or pve. Cooperative tends to equate to more social building, because you need the hlep of others.

On the other hand you look at games like WoW, everything is about "glory boys" - ie, a list at the end of the battleground to show who's got the most kill/damage, dps meter, Arena rankings, competing over pve grind mobs, etc. everything is about competition.

Too much competition makes people anti-social because you will preceive other people as competing for your resources and therefore the enemy.

So it is not just about the social interaction, it is about the mentality of the game as well if we are to determine whether a game is social or anti-social.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by evolver1972
     Just because people like the fact that GW2 doesn't force you to wait for a group for almost everything you can do,  doesn't mean that we hate MMOs or that we want a "single player MMO".

Believe it or not, some people don't need forced interactions in order to be social; they are social because they want to be.

I'm starting to believe that those who like and want the forced grouping are those with the least social skills.  Otherwise, they wouldn't need to be required to interact.  They just would.

I'm surpised people don't complain about being "forced to log in yet".

In making an "mmo" where people can do everything solo, they've made one of the least social mmos there is.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I played both SWG and EVE and I liked them. I will say it again, GW2 requires cooperation, not social interaction. There is little to no required social interaction besides dungeons. Sure it is beneficial to have people around me, but in no way is this a social incentive, because I have no need to communicate with those people. As far as viewing other people as competition, often this led to social interaction. I would often ask to group to get mobs and drops and often ended up talking to the person for an extended period of time.

curious as which themepark MMO "requires" social interaction to complete objectives.. although GL doing anything but completely wiped out in WvW with no social interaction at all...  raiding in my experience doesn't "require" any more social interaction than GW2 dungeons.. both just need coorperation, raiding just requires more people to be on the same page

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

And there's the main issue.

You assume that in order for social interaction to exist, it needs to be 'forced'. I'm telling you that it doesn't. From there you then deduce that a game can only be social if it forces social interaction. I'm telling you that's not true either. Cooperation is one of many mechanics in place that support social interaction.

The only determining factor when deciding if a game is 'social or not', is if it both has an environment that supports social interaction, and it has a community of players that regularly interacts with one another. GW2 has both. Again, I understand where you're coming from, however that doesn't make the game anti-social, it makes you anti-social.

You're expecting the game to do all the work for you when it comes to interacting with others. However, I can't think of a single video game that does this completely. Everyone single one (even the ones that force a certain degree of it on the player), have a point in which you need to take the responsibility upon yourself and initiate.

I can't speak for your personal experiences with the game. However, what I can say is that every time I login to GW2, even during off-peak hours, people are talking to each other. People are joking in map chat, looking for groups, teaming up for events, talking strategy, warning people about stuff, asking questions, etc. etc. etc. I'm not sure how a game gets more social than that, tbh, unless it could somehow teleport people to your room, give them alcohol and a sense of humor. And if that game exists, I would totally play it.

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Well said.

GW2 promotes a lot more combat/resource cooperative environment whether it is for pvp or pve. Cooperative tends to equate to more social building, because you need the hlep of others.

On the other hand you look at games like WoW, everything is about "glory boys" - ie, a list at the end of the battleground to show who's got the most kill/damage, dps meter, Arena rankings, competing over pve grind mobs, etc. everything is about competition.

Too much competition makes people anti-social because you will preceive other people as competing for your resources and therefore the enemy.

So it is not just about the social interaction, it is about the mentality of the game as well if we are to determine whether a game is social or anti-social.

Very true.

That's one of the reasons I'm hoping DPS meters stay out of GW2. I've argued w/ some people in game about this, but I'm really worried that such a thing leads to the situations you describe. Heck, earlier today someone had a thread on the TSW forums complaining about that exact issue.

One of my favorite things about GW2 atm is that it doesn't focus on some arbitrary gear req. It focuses on skilled gameplay, cooperation, and tactics. Which is one of the reasons I've been enjoying the dungeons mostly. I try to play w/ people who are like-minded in that regard.

It's interesting that you bring up competition, because it's very much a double-edged sword. In some regards it can lead to a lot of anymosity, but on the other it can lead to rivalries and actually stimulate social interaction. A very tricky thing to balance indeed.

• alikyualikyu Member Posts: 3

It's great and brings some new things to the table.

After playing it for a while, it feels a bit shallow, though. It just needs more time to develop content. Guild Wars 2 has the framework down. Now, Arena Net needs to continue to release things for players to do to keep up with the MMOs that have had years to build their theme parks.

At first glance, the game does everything very well, but there are problems that arise as you delve deeper into the gameplay. Dungeons are uninspired and somewhat antiquated in design, PvE balance sacrificed at the cost of PvP balance, lack of carrots for people who desire carrots, etc.

Those things come with time, usually.