Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One

135

Comments

  • Nebula131Nebula131 HernePosts: 22Member

    so, you want to attack.. tell me which target!

    ah, that one.. ok.. what did you want to do again?

    attack..yeah, right... ok, so i am...oopsie..crashed.. you'll just have to log in again.

    what do you mean framerate? i dont care that your puter is "good", i run things in my own speed..so now get over it and tell me what you wanna do!

    so, ok..you want to attack....

     

     

    i really wanted to like it. i wanted to grind, play, watch the beautiful surroundings..but it just wasnt meant to be. i even did come back a year later and tried again...but now. this one just doesn't want to be played by me it seems. so..moving on

     

  • SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    You know i'm starting to think Square Enix would do a lot better if they simply got into anime or making CGI films instead. They are incredibly good at creating visually stunning cinematics as well as creating lovable characters and fantastic music. /problemsolved?

    No

    SE are making good game since 1987, yeah they had done some bad games, but what do you expect? Every major company have some bad games. Should they just trow the towel? No try again and they may create another masterpiece. That mean more fun for me.

    No one force you to play their games.

  • VhalnVhaln Chicago, ILPosts: 3,159Member
    I'll only consider getting it, if it gets some seriously rave reviews.. which I doubt it will, but I'll be open minded enough to consider it, if it does.  Or if they do a free trial deal (including people who never bought the original - I tried the beta, so knew better than to throw money at it at the time)

    When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

  • WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member

    Adam Tingle You sir deserve A raise. Not only did I feel this way as A person that has Owned and plaiyed all FF games up to 13-2. This is not the first time they slapped us in the face, not the 2nd, and not the third. FF10,10-2,13,13-2,and now 14.

    How dare people ask this game to have it's own section while they undermine the truth and try to hide it under the carpet. Ragnarok Online 2 didn't even get it's own section for gate of the new world or legend of the second both which were lightyears ahead of ff14. 

    If more of the writers were as brutally honest as you were, besides Suzie because she is pretty honest. I would love this site 3x as much. Thank you for being honest. 

    Ps. alyosha17 if you think they are relaunching the game for fun or to make up to the fans your dead wrong. It was stated back at launch that the Ps3 version was being held up by unknown circumstances. Those were the whole fact that the engine they built didn't work with the Ps3 at all. Which is why the graphics are different. Not better, but worse to be compatiable with the Ps3. Btw his opinion has merit since it's bassed on his own personal experience.

  • WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member
    Originally posted by Silok
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    You know i'm starting to think Square Enix would do a lot better if they simply got into anime or making CGI films instead. They are incredibly good at creating visually stunning cinematics as well as creating lovable characters and fantastic music. /problemsolved?

    No

    Squaresoft was good game since 1987, yeah they had done some bad games, but what do you expect? Every major company have some bad games. Should they just trow the towel? No try again and they may create another masterpiece. That mean more fun for me.

    No one force you to play their games.

    Fixed it for you. Also all their Rpg's have been horrible since becoming SE. We can pretend though right?

  • SilokSilok Mascouche, QCPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by Weretigar
    Originally posted by Silok
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    You know i'm starting to think Square Enix would do a lot better if they simply got into anime or making CGI films instead. They are incredibly good at creating visually stunning cinematics as well as creating lovable characters and fantastic music. /problemsolved?

    No

    Squaresoft was good game since 1987, yeah they had done some bad games, but what do you expect? Every major company have some bad games. Should they just trow the towel? No try again and they may create another masterpiece. That mean more fun for me.

    No one force you to play their games.

    Fixed it for you. Also all their Rpg's have been horrible since becoming SE. We can pretend though right?

    Now there are SE and yeah there are still making good game, you dont like it fine but talk for yourself, dont assume that because you dont like something, that others feel the same way.

  • alyosha17alyosha17 ergftmjhkPosts: 156Member
    Originally posted by Weretigar

    Ps. alyosha17 if you think they are relaunching the game for fun or to make up to the fans your dead wrong. It was stated back at launch that the Ps3 version was being held up by unknown circumstances. Those were the whole fact that the engine they built didn't work with the Ps3 at all. Which is why the graphics are different. Not better, but worse to be compatiable with the Ps3. Btw his opinion has merit since it's bassed on his own personal experience.

    I know all this.  I know they downgraded graphics, and I know they made mistakes.  But they are relaunching the game soon  with a different server-structure, a different graphics engine, and an entirely different director, and game design philosophy (the previous goal was more sandboxy, now it's more themeparky).  Considering the differences involved, i would consider it a new game.  For better or worse, it won't really be the same at all.

     

    So next time I would suggest this so-called writer try his hand at writing an article with some substance about SE's mistakes, and possibly SE's solutions, rather than crying about a 2-year-ago birthday incident.  Nobody cares about this guy's stupid birthday.  They want INFORMATION ABOUT THE GAME.  Since when was this a personal blog site?  Am i on mmorpg.com or blogspot?

     

     "Death or Glory: Part One"  What will be Part Two?  How FFXIV ruined christmas? Honestly, this is ridiculous.  Let me provide some tips on how to write a hate-piece about FFXIV:

     

    - Gun for the graphical downgrade (textures, lighting, and poly count seem to be reduced)

    -It's taken them 2 years of additional years to add in a jumping chocobo, meanwhile Archeage has multiple mounts with diverse mounting/jumping/rearing/sidestepping animations, so what gives?  SE has allegedly 200+ staff members, so they're obviously overpaid.

    - Yoshi (director) advised he is trying to emulate WoW because he thinks it is "the standard"... um yeah in 2004.  Welcome to 2012 where B&S, TERA, Black Desert, GW2, and Archeage have made many innovations leaving WoW far behind.

    -FFXIV: ARR will be a quest-spam progression system... real fun.

    -FFXIV: ARR has a total of zero new innovative features.  The best they can come up with is a "limit break system", which nobody knows anything about.

    -They introduced a "roaming primal" system where the primals are ... wait for it... instanced! Which makes oh so much sense, right?  Because according to SE, roaming means the exact opposite of its dictionary meaning, apparently.

     

    These are just a few choice excerpts of the problems with ARR.  So write a hate article on that, instead of an article about your over-entitlement as a consumer and how you want to punish SE.

     

    Nobody else cares about your birthday!

     

    And if you post another blog entry, do so without featuring it on the front page next time.

  • punkrock2punkrock2 hgfhgfhPosts: 78Member Common
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

    Oh, Final fantasy.

     

    Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

     

    Things will be different this time, wont they? WONT THEY!?

    Lol good and funny way to look at it haha. I am in the same boat man.

  • MaelkorMaelkor Friendswood, TXPosts: 465Member Uncommon

    @sovrath - What I think your saying is bascialy true, however, for those of us that are MMO fans in general and not necessarily Final Fantasy fans the likelihood that we will  pick tihs game up now is not very big. Our imaginations have moved on. Their chance to hook us was at that first release 2 years ago. I was even interested in it back then - could play it due to hardware issues - but now, I am not so much interested. It just feels like old news - nothing groundbreaking - just stuff that probably allready works well tied into a bit more modern engine.

     

    While there is nothing wrong with that - there is also not a whole lot to draw in the large crowds - at least in the north american market. Now if the game turns out to actually be really good and do things just perfectly right - that could change and get the Non FF crowds interest again.

  • KalstarkKalstark fishkill, NYPosts: 63Member
    when i heard about this game i went and sold my xbox360 and bought a ps3, just sold my ps3 a week ago and trying to get a xbox now haha

    image
  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,428Member Uncommon

    It is funny because FFXIV is on par or better than most other games on the market but becuase the FFXI fans had a gripe,others jumped on the bandwagon.The content Sqaure has added just since the failed launch is more than otehr games entire content package.

    The old saying "you get what you paid for is still true".The only reason FFXIV failed is becuase it's true fans have been playing the best design ever in FFXI and were near impossible to pry away.FFXIV would had to be a near godsend game to take FFXI players away from an already great game.

    FFXI players have been so satisfied that  all the yhad asked from Sqaure was to update the graphics.Sqaure got greedy and figured a newer version would warrant more money,a graphic upgrade would not.This does NOT mean FFXIV is a bad game,it just emans it is not as good as FFXI,but neither is any other game.

    To show what i think of all the other shallow game designs,if i was not playing FFXI,i would probably play FFXIV  before any other game.

    The ONLY other game i see coming that warrants my money is Archeage.i support game design effort ,not what a developer tells me is good,i use my own judgement.

     


    Samoan Diamond

  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Maelkor

    @sovrath - What I think your saying is bascialy true, however, for those of us that are MMO fans in general and not necessarily Final Fantasy fans the likelihood that we will  pick tihs game up now is not very big. Our imaginations have moved on. Their chance to hook us was at that first release 2 years ago. I was even interested in it back then - could play it due to hardware issues - but now, I am not so much interested. It just feels like old news - nothing groundbreaking - just stuff that probably allready works well tied into a bit more modern engine.

     

    While there is nothing wrong with that - there is also not a whole lot to draw in the large crowds - at least in the north american market. Now if the game turns out to actually be really good and do things just perfectly right - that could change and get the Non FF crowds interest again.

    Well, essentially "it's a brand new game" so as long as they market this new version, it's very possible mmo players can have their imaginations excited.

    Personally, I'm NOT a final fantasy fan. At al. Not at all.

    But the art design and the quirkiness of the game sort of drew me in.

    There really isnt a lot that is coming out "now" so I don't see any reason, provided they have done their jobs this time, that mmo players might decide to try try this.

     

  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,241Member Uncommon
    I for one am looking foward to it, and while it may be headed toward a thempark norm there are some things that will set it apart . The story so far has been awsome something i think other mmo's are soarly missing. Also primals like ifrit, garuda etc. will be roaming NM"s that guilds defeat and can summon and crafting and gathering are classes that can participate in content [hamlet defence] and some dungeons. oh and MMORPG gave FFXI a 6.5 when it had 500,000 plus players awsome story and world so this no news write up does not suprise me at all.
  • FlawSGIFlawSGI Woodstock, GAPosts: 1,378Member Uncommon
     Pretty over dramatic and I have to say that while I didn't enjoy the game, I didn't think it was nearly as basd as the OP illustrates. The thing is that they are giving the revamp away free to those that bought the original as well as the free time to try it out. Writing a piece like this saying that it isn't worth a second look is kind of stupid. Until the revamp has seen the light of day, I will hold my opinions and hope it turns out well because the genre could use a good MMO. 

    RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Mt marion, NYPosts: 1,535Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ripostethis

    I think the OP completely missed that SE has completely redesigned the game, and even a brand new engine. It's not an expansion, or just a "rebuild" of Final Fantasy 14, it's a whole new game.

    I also heard that people who have an FF14 account will get the new game for free as well.

    I'm as open to legitimate criticism of FFXIV (or any MMO) as you can be - as long as that criticism is grounded in facts and voiced by someone who actually knows what they're talking about and represents the facts honestly. The OP, to be as blunt as possible, is so ridiculously skewed that it reads like the worst posts from the most biased members on these forums.

     

    How about some factual issues in their post?

     

    For one, he calls it "Kingdom Reborn". It's Realm Reborn. It's been Realm Reborn for several months now. It's been Realm Reborn on every news update to come out about it, in every video and every interview. For crying out loud, this site has been covering it from time to time, and there's more than enough information out there about it.

     

    For another, he talks about the game being in development for 7 years. No. FFXIV 1.0 was in development for 5 years. ARR has been in development for around 2 years to date, and has more time to go yet.  That read to me like the OP deliberately fudging the facts just to spread the bash-fest that is their "article" a little thicker by artificially protracting the time-line.

     

    The OP would do well to click on some of the links I have in my forum sig here. I created it specifically for people like them to actually get the facts. Of course, some people don't really want the facts. They just want an excuse to bash the target of their ire. Becoming informed would take the wind out of their sails.

     

    For another, I have to laugh at how hypocritical people are in the MMO community. What do you see time and again when a developer has a poor launch and tries to "patch their way to making it better"? You see people say things along the lines of "They'd need to completely remake the game. They can't salvage what it is now". That's the main argument you see. "Too poor to be saved as-is. Needs a reboot".

     

    Yet, here we are now with SE doing just that; giving FFXIV a reboot. 90% of the game has been completely redone from the ground up - the environments, the tech, the infrastructure, the content, and so on. Only the setting, the races, the world and some of the existing content (Primals, etc) remains in place.

     

    And how are people reacting? Exactly the way they do to any other MMO that had a poor start... with complete dismissal and the typical "pile-on" mob mentality.

     

    What does this tell me? Very simply, that the whole "they need to remake the game" argument is just hot air. It's just another way to bash on the game in question. They don't want to see the game recover. They want it to flounder and die so they can continue bashing it.

     

    I'll tell you what needs a reboot: The MMO community.

     
     
     
     
     
     
  • drivendawndrivendawn montgomery, ALPosts: 1,241Member Uncommon
    Tang, amen brother.
  • adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,073Member Uncommon
    the writer is barely old enough to drink legally.  Geezus when DAoC came out you would have been like 11.  Maybe I'm just bitter, but I wish more people who got the spotlight for their thoughts on mmo's actually had a history with them.
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Long Island, NYPosts: 480Member Uncommon

    I think its hilarious the amount of people acting immature and acting like SE duped them or something. Most people who played FFIV knew what the game was before they bought the game. If you are one of the few that didn't its your fault for buying sight unseen.

     

    But I shouldn't be surprised by the I know what I am buying but  I will blame everyone but me comments on this site.

  • RaveiceRaveice MellerudPosts: 22Member

    Haters is always gona hate it no matter what they do.

    Then you have people who never played the game comment like they have!

    This game was bad start but it was not terrible. it could be even worse!

    But if you are truely Final Fantasy fan u should have patience beacuse square enix wont go down without a fight for it. 

    New team who took over FFXIV said from start they coulden't do much about the current state of the game they could only made some patchs make the game abit more suit able for people who still is loyal for it " Yes im still playing " 

    So basic they sit down rebuild game from scratch but still use the old FFXIV small content from it.

    People talked about downgrade graphic but to be honestly i rather see that then another fail and alot people migh have high expectation hope it fails again!                                                       

    I have play plenty of mmo that fail x10 times more some diden't even lanched open beta beacuse of the failure and other was never released either.

    FFXIV is very uniqe mmo compare what is out there same goes for FFXI was also very unqie you could never say like the trolls did " Its wow copy" ....

    So everyone deserves a second chance!!

     
     
  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    the writer is barely old enough to drink legally.  Geezus when DAoC came out you would have been like 11.  Maybe I'm just bitter, but I wish more people who got the spotlight for their thoughts on mmo's actually had a history with them.

    I don't mind younger writers, however I do wish more people who got the spotlights on this site were writing better / more thorough articles. Many of these are just turning into endorsed rants. While that's funny at times, there's way too much of that on this site as it is.

  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,091Member Uncommon
    I am really looking forward to the game. Saying they dont deserve a chance afther making a mistake and admiting it is a bit much. .
    Raptr Gamercard
  • alikyualikyu Boring, ORPosts: 3Member

    But... Final Fantasy.

     

    In response to the people saying that FFXIV was not successful due to FFXI fans being unable to move on, I am a person who loves all things Final Fantasy. IV, V, VI, VII, X, X-2, XI, XII, XIII, XIII-2. I didn't really give VIII a chance due to disliking the Draw system, and I missed out on IX. And even I think FFXIV was poorly released. They made questionable design choices that have been removed--thank goodness.

     

    Looking forward to FFXIV:ARR though. Fingers crossed.

     

    Do what you want, cause a pirate is free.

     
  • MadnessRealmMadnessRealm Montreal, QCPosts: 2,716Member Uncommon

    So they got rid of the guy that had a not-so glowing review of SWTOR and replaced him with this OP? If anything, he should be the one"fired" as he can't even put up an article that makes sense. He gets so many things wrong (including the name, it's A Realm Reborn, not Kingdom Reborn....) it's just appaling.

     

     

    At least the guy who wrote an overall negative review of SWTOR had a well-detailed and thought-out post about it (and seems he was right, wasn't he?). This OP can't even get the basic facts right and rely merely on speculation and his "ruined birthday". And what's more, shouldn't an editor be reading this first before it gets approved? How does this even pass as a good article when it's factually wrong on so many levels? Or is this OP merely cannon fodder to make the next Devil's Advocate article seem better?

     

     

    Absolutely ridiculous, and this isn't about just FFXIV, but goes for any other game. This level of article should never get past the editor.

     

    ------
    Your daily dose of common sense since 2009!

  • DemogorgonDemogorgon New York, NYPosts: 206Member Common
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Ripostethis

    I think the OP completely missed that SE has completely redesigned the game, and even a brand new engine. It's not an expansion, or just a "rebuild" of Final Fantasy 14, it's a whole new game.

    I also heard that people who have an FF14 account will get the new game for free as well.

    I'm as open to legitimate criticism of FFXIV (or any MMO) as you can be - as long as that criticism is grounded in facts and voiced by someone who actually knows what they're talking about and represents the facts honestly. The OP, to be as blunt as possible, is so ridiculously skewed that it reads like the worst posts from the most biased members on these forums.

     

    How about some factual issues in their post?

     

    For one, he calls it "Kingdom Reborn". It's Realm Reborn. It's been Realm Reborn for several months now. It's been Realm Reborn on every news update to come out about it, in every video and every interview. For crying out loud, this site has been covering it from time to time, and there's more than enough information out there about it.

     

    For another, he talks about the game being in development for 7 years. No. FFXIV 1.0 was in development for 5 years. ARR has been in development for around 2 years to date, and has more time to go yet.  That read to me like the OP deliberately fudging the facts just to spread the bash-fest that is their "article" a little thicker by artificially protracting the time-line.

     

    The OP would do well to click on some of the links I have in my forum sig here. I created it specifically for people like them to actually get the facts. Of course, some people don't really want the facts. They just want an excuse to bash the target of their ire. Becoming informed would take the wind out of their sails.

     

    For another, I have to laugh at how hypocritical people are in the MMO community. What do you see time and again when a developer has a poor launch and tries to "patch their way to making it better"? You see people say things along the lines of "They'd need to completely remake the game. They can't salvage what it is now". That's the main argument you see. "Too poor to be saved as-is. Needs a reboot".

     

    Yet, here we are now with SE doing just that; giving FFXIV a reboot. 90% of the game has been completely redone from the ground up - the environments, the tech, the infrastructure, the content, and so on. Only the setting, the races, the world and some of the existing content (Primals, etc) remains in place.

     

    And how are people reacting? Exactly the way they do to any other MMO that had a poor start... with complete dismissal and the typical "pile-on" mob mentality.

     

    What does this tell me? Very simply, that the whole "they need to remake the game" argument is just hot air. It's just another way to bash on the game in question. They don't want to see the game recover. They want it to flounder and die so they can continue bashing it.

     

    I'll tell you what needs a reboot: The MMO community.

     
     
     
     
     
     

    WoW! Tangent, dude, you hit it right on the head with this. /applause

    AN EFFING MMO COMMUNITY REBOOT!! I so wish that was possible.

  • SiveriaSiveria Saint John, New BrunswickPosts: 1,200Member Uncommon

    I liked FF11 till they made it wow-easy mode, once they did I lost interest because it just became like every other easy mode mmorpg that has been out since wow came out. Abbysea ruined ff11 imo. Whats the point to a lv 99 cap when hitting it can be done in a day or 2? thats a major joke compared to what the game used to be. I also resubbed for a short time after abbysea was release, and I could not find any parties period outside of abyssea at all, and the major drawing point for me for ff11 was how party based the game was. Mind you, you need a party in abbysea but the exp gained is far far to high, when any common yuppy can hit 99 in 2 days the game just ain't fun for me anymore, I actually enjoyed the grind it used to have. It was one of the things that made ff11 unique, and now its lost that.

    Back on topic, I played ff14 6+ months ago and I honestly didn't feel it was THAT bad, though leveling of combat-type jobs was far to quick compared to the rest, and there really isin't much else to do once you hit cap unlike ff11, which has stuff to do across all levels. Either way I am going to check out the relaunch since none of the current crop of mmorpgs are intersting to me at all, they all are just boring themepark world of warcraft clones and I am sick of that kind of gameplay.

    Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

    A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

    or

    B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

    Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Sign In or Register to comment.