Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC 2 - Would you play it?

Comments

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

not if mythic are making it.

Originally posted by Akrux

If you like three way RvR then check out modern day setting The Secret World or sci fi Dominus. 

the secret world doesn't have meaningful pvp.

• HalfmadHalfmad Mortal Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 83

I've just been on the DAOC site for the first time in about 3 years, it's rather pathetic to see them celebrating it's 10th anniversary whilst putting very little effort into running or reviving it.

everything mythic achieve was ruined when they released that POS war.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

no because EA would take a massive steaming dump over all my memories of the original DAOC by going and "WOWifying" it all up, then ignoring it once released.

Also most of the clever DAOC people don't even work for EA/Bioware anymore they're at Bethseda and other places (the really clever ones left as soon as EA took over)

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Akrux

If you like three way RvR then check out modern day setting The Secret World or sci fi Dominus. 

the secret world doesn't have meaningful pvp.

The secret world has persistent 3 sided areas of the world called Warzones (not to be confused with Warzones in another game), which have 4 end objectives and minor objectives that let you take the end objectives.  Holding 2 of the big end objectives passes control of the warzone to the given society.  There is no timing or "match" type element to it - e.g. it's not like Wintergrasp in WOW.

Holding them gives a relic like faction buff

Holding all of them grants an uber buff and unlocks something (unknown so far)

In essence it's similar to DAOCS frontiers / relic system, however you won't get as big a fights due to the graphics / engine AND there will be a lower proprtion of PVP zones to PVE zones, it's looking like a game thats trying to cater to both playstyles.

Looks good so far to me, not as good as DACO, but a whopping improvement over WAR / AION and your typical mini game PVP games like WOW / RIFT

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I tried for first time! I must say it is best pvp mmo ever, so many classes and abilities.  I didn't except from old mmo like daoc to give me such great play time
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Honestly, it would depend on who would be making DAOC 2. If it's EA/Bioware, not on your life would I play it. They haven't a clue what they're doing.

If it were the original team that made DAOC yes.

I think Arenanet captured the Huge battles elements from RvR, and is close enough to what DAOC 2 would be that I'm happy with playing it for years to come. Now they just need to put a Darkness Falls Dungeon in and we're set.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I won't play something just because it's a sequel to a good game

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Tayah

Honestly, it would depend on who would be making DAOC 2. If it's EA/Bioware, not on your life would I play it. They haven't a clue what they're doing.

If it were the original team that made DAOC yes.

I think Arenanet captured the Huge battles elements from RvR, and is close enough to what DAOC 2 would be that I'm happy with playing it for years to come. Now they just need to put a Darkness Falls Dungeon in and we're set.

You think that gw2 will be good as daoc?

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

There was a time when Daoc 2 would have had a Chance but in this overcompeted MMO market with plenty of Dust514, Planetside, DayZ, MWO and whatever MMO/MO-PvP games i can hardly see it flourish.

Blizzard was a league of its own having its Battle.net to breed up its player live stock but even they have lost pace/track and Blizzard long ago has lost its magic.
    The playerbase for classical subscription mmos is shrinking and the mmos battle hard for its remains leaving a few niches open for "low profile" successes.

After TESO fails it was the last big classical P2P-MMO.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Yes, I care less about the graphics as the movement though. Felt so clunky and unresponsive after trying to go back.
  • DuvandDuvand Member Posts: 33

To be honest, I would have never left DAOC for WOW if the UI had been as updated as Blizzards version, /qbind is somewhat of a chore these days.

I would also jump at the chance of a DAOC 2 as I think the Lore and Battlegrounds are still the best when compared with other more modern MMO's.

Things Needed in DAOC 2

1.  GFX (something along the line of Lord of the Rings online and not Warhammer)

2.  UI impovements (Key mapping)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Holy necro Batman!

Anyhow.. to restate, HELL YEAH I would play!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MastaraMastara Member Posts: 9

I would so play it! Make it NOW!

If you make it, they WILL come!

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Nah.
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I would definitely try it out, but there is so much room to screw it up that I would be really worried about how it would come out.  The reactive combos of DAoC and the 3-realm RVR haven't been duplicated since. 

Hell, I'd go back to DAoC right now if they hadn't completely hollowed out its soul from how it was back in its prime.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ShadowedMareShadowedMare Member Posts: 30
    I regret not playing DAoC in its prime, I hear all these MMO veterans talking about they hay days and it makes me wish they made something similar in modern times - so yes I would give DAoC 2 a try. Hopefully if they make a sequel they'll stick to their roots and make it as exciting as DAoC was. 

The Shadowed Mare - A Tavern North of Caldera and an Elder Scrolls Online Fansite and Forums.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

If done properly, by the original team, I would play it in a heartbeat.

However, I don't think we'll ever see that happen. Especially considering that a number of the original team are no longer with Mythic and the original vision for the game has long been lost.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    You just know whoever made it would create Dark Age of Azeroth since apparently it is impossible to base an MMO off of anything other than WoW these days. 

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• GoreignakGoreignak Member UncommonPosts: 11

I was thinking maybe a prequel of DAOC might be neat, with the Roman Empire being the big baddy.

But I'd be afraid that whomever made it would screw it up...

Yes

But ea can't make a true daoc 2. You would get all the suits going "add more wow"
  • KinchyleKinchyle Member Posts: 309
    If all they did was modernize is...hell yeah. I just do see that happening though
    Another thing they could do. Add 4th faction based on Welsh mythology / the mabinogion
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by gnomechef

Ok simple question after reading Garret Fuller's column, if Mythic were to ressurect Dark age of Camelot and make it bigger and better, update graphics, etc. - Would you play it???

For me its a yes.

ive finished my trial and i love the game but im waiting for Darkfall. DAOC is my 1st love, my 1st mmo, my 1st everything!!! I will never forget you but its so hard to return to it when other games are improving!