Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: BioWare Previews F2P in New Video

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

BioWare has released a new video describing the free-to-play experience and restrictions for the upcoming F2P re-launch of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

While a handy matrix has been available for some time now, this new video should help shed additional light on what players can expect when the game goes free-to-play later this Fall.

Comments

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    I really like how they have a in-game video to present some additional information, thought it was a really cool format.  I hope more information comes out like this!
  • MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

I love how the gameplay looks so smooth in the video... And then you play, and the engine just doesn't live up to the smoothness.

Plus, I feel I didn't really get that much real info from that blurb, it's more of a marketing video: Everything is awesome! Now give us your money!

i.e.: Exactly which content is free for everyone? ALL the questing, or ONLY the class story? It sounds much like LotRO, where the 'Epic Story' is free, yet you have to buy 'quest packs' for every region outside the starter region.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

I love how the gameplay looks so smooth in the video... And then you play, and the engine just doesn't live up to the smoothness.

Plus, I feel I didn't really get that much real info from that blurb, it's more of a marketing video: Everything is awesome! Now give us your money!

i.e.: Exactly which content is free for everyone? ALL the questing, or ONLY the class story? It sounds much like LotRO, where the 'Epic Story' is free, yet you have to buy 'quest packs' for every region outside the starter region.

Then I am really blessed with my computer as my gamepley is smooth as silk on high settings:)

Here are some details how Cartel Shop looks like - snapshot from video

F2P limitations - link http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Yeah, yeah, I know those things - it's just that I didn't need a special video for that. If I wanted those infos, then, as you so concisely demonstrated: They're already available in better format.

By the way, my 'performance problems' aren't framefrate itself. That is fine. It's more that the TOR client can't utilize my 8 Gigs of RAM (since it's not a 64 bit client). I have tried to circumvent that by using the 'Unleashed' tool, and it definitely helps. But I still get those micro-loaders when, for example, mounting my speeder.

• ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363
    If you don't like it don't play it.

Ajax

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

To bad it is not game play but a cinematic.  To bad the game play as good as the video's you see them create.  It was mostly a trailer video marketing toy, nothing more.

Honestly there was no real new imparted on the video you can get more real information elsewhere.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think the whole idea of this game being free to play is nice, I wouldn't mind playing it as a free to play title. Too bad the limitations of the free players is going to be the downfall of it. They should have made more available for free players, and I'm not just saying that because I would play free, I usually sub to F2P titles if they have the option. I just feel like the more you limit the less people stay. I really liked the free to play model of Lineage 2 (pre pay to win) and Aion and kind of hoped that they would have done a similar model.
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    I remember the gearing up for the launch, the excitement, the razzmatazz, the air tingling expectation. Oh well.
  • FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by nyxium
    I remember the gearing up for the launch, the excitement, the razzmatazz, the air tingling expectation. Oh well.

..and it went downhill right after that.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Jesterftk
    Originally posted by nyxium

..and it went downhill right after that.

oh well...... :)

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    What happens if I already subscribed for 3 months and unlocked a legacy race on each side, and then try to turn my former account to a F2P account? Are they going to allow me to use those races and the character I already made with them. Guess I'll have to read up on former acounts transitioning to F2P.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Originally posted by Eluldor
    What happens if I already subscribed for 3 months and unlocked a legacy race on each side, and then try to turn my former account to a F2P account? Are they going to allow me to use those races and the character I already made with them. Guess I'll have to read up on former acounts transitioning to F2P.

Im pretty sure you keep what you've earned. Should be a given. It would be crappy if you couldnt.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

I was hoping, praying even, to play as a Sith Pureblood.

But a red Zabrak is a close second.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Originally posted by ajax7
    If you don't like it don't play it.

...Which is advice four out of five TOR subscribers have taken to heart. Which is why they now switch to the f2p model.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid

Im pretty sure you keep what you've earned. Should be a given. It would be crappy if you couldnt.

I would not count on keeping what you earned once it goes free to play. If you bought the game, subscribed, and then quit, you are not the target audience of free to play. You know what the game is, and free to play does nothing to improve upon what you have already seen.

Game features are chopped up, and metered out behind the paywall. EA still wants you to sub, but it's more like an extended trial up to level 50 with the personal story. Everything else requires your credit card. On the bright side, leveling is the best part of the game, so if you love leveling alts, F2P may work for you.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Lugors

I would not count on keeping what you earned once it goes free to play. If you bought the game, subscribed, and then quit, you are not the target audience of free to play. You know what the game is, and free to play does nothing to improve upon what you have already seen. Game features are chopped up, and metered out behind the paywall. EA still wants you to sub, but it's more like an extended trial up to level 50 with the personal story. Everything else requires your credit card. On the bright side, leveling is the best part of the game, so if you love leveling alts, F2P may work for you.

From hints I've heard you will be able to pick what you want to keep and what will be locked for you unless you decide to unlock it. You are not going to lose anything, but you are not going to be able to use it. Lets say - you have 6 characters and only 2 character slots. You will be able to choose 2 characters of your choice which you want to play. etc...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Can I spend cartel points to buy a dreadnaught?

Because they gypped me of the one I got from Darth Jadus, said I couldn't keep it. T_T

EDIT: To note I am joking about this, I dun expect to see player owned dreadnaughts in this kinda game.

Not really sure why I am still subbed either, haven't played in a long while...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I guess this video is to reach out to the one's that have not played the game yet.

"it dosen't seem to be working"

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Deivos

Can I spend cartel points to buy a dreadnaught?

Because they gypped me of the one I got from Darth Jadus, said I couldn't keep it. T_T

EDIT: To note I am joking about this, I dun expect to see player owned dreadnaughts in this kinda game.

Not really sure why I am still subbed either, haven't played in a long while...

I don't see why players of certain classes wouldn't have the ability to own dreadnaught type starships.  All the sith lords have their own personal destroyers.

I think it sucks that say as a sith warrior/inquistor you never get to have one.  You go through this long epic story to just end up with the same litte wimpy ship and getting gang banged by droids and pathetic bandits on ilum and correlia.

Sith lord my ass...

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

My thoughts:

1) The F2P portion of this game is amazing.  The leveling in this game, at least the first time per faction, is second to none.

2) I bought the game at launch but didn't subscribe except for one month in July.  I get no cartel points for buying the DD on launch.  That's a big oversight in my opinion.  So there's no reason for me to sub just before it goes F2P as I'd only get 150 cartel points and have to spend another $15 for the sub.  LOL, no thanks.

3) If their only unlocks are from subscribing, well they aren't getting any money out of me.  But if they allow single purchase unlocks for things like characters, inv space and races, I may consider paying.  But that's not likely until they add massive multiplayer space combat.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    I these guys are trolling us very hard.Hope they fail again and again till they cant release anything else so we can be at peace with those money hungry motherfuckers
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Have you MET the jackasses running SWTOR?

• Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142

Ok, so they are going to be charging for world quests. The titles on the Cartel Shop menu are:

"Packs" - Like lotro quest packs

"Cosmetic"

"Unlocks" - Slots, Races, Inventory Slots etc.

"Equipment"

"Consumables"

Right, so how many worlds do you think they'll give the content for free for? Probably starter worlds + Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. I just can't accept that BW would offer the most appealing part of their game (the questing process) completely free of charge. I would appreciate any other speculation on what "packs" could mean. 

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Cameron27

Ok, so they are going to be charging for world quests. The titles on the Cartel Shop menu are:

"Packs" - Like lotro quest packs

"Cosmetic"

"Unlocks" - Slots, Races, Inventory Slots etc.

"Equipment"

"Consumables"

Right, so how many worlds do you think they'll give the content for free for? Probably starter worlds + Coruscant and Dromund Kaas. I just can't accept that BW would offer the most appealing part of their game (the questing process) completely free of charge. I would appreciate any other speculation on what "packs" could mean. 

Community Q&A: Free-to-Play Edition

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-free-play-edition

Several players asked: Can you give us more detail about the restrictions on Free-to-Play members? If not, when can we expect more details?

Damion Schubert: Giving more information about these limitations is a core part of our communication efforts over the next few weeks. Our goal is to allow Free-to-Play members to play the game from levels 1 to 50 and encounter most of the class and world content along the way. However, it is equally important to us that the subscription members will have access to a significant number of convenience features that make the game easier to play - leveling speed, bank access, inventory size are all good examples. Once these details are published, I think that most players familiar with the game as it is now will agree that while Free-to-Play members will be getting a good experience and the subscription members will be getting a substantially improved gameplay experience.

It might just come down to what exactly the purple part above means.

Most of the world content?  Maybe freemium players can't finish the world stories and need to unlock them?  Maybe some world quests are unavailable?  Can't do dailies?  Some unncessary portions of maps off limits?

Most of the class content?  Romance stories are in the cash shop?  Only some companions available while questing?

Just speculation based on a very ambiguous quote.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115
    another game goes down the losers path.
    how about they just turn the key and shut that piece of crap game down...