Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO's that play well with GW2.

BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

Like many others I have found Other MMO's combat mechanics/animations slow & boaring in comparison to GW2.

Im having trouble with many games that were my staple mmos for this reason. (WOW, Rift LOTR, DDO etc.)

One game that still gets me excited  about combat/animations/PVP is in fact Aion.

Its traditional enough to get my fix there but fast enough to not seem ancient when after playing GW2.

Fast paced and in depth combat with some of the best animation's imo seems to complement GW2 well and both free of monthly fee's.

For example of the point im making, heres one of my fav Aion battles to watch.

Heres a PVP battle involving 2 Templar's ( The class i play.) One is an Offensive build, the other a defensive build and a fine example of AIon PVP/combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P_lQr5mHzcs

Also while Aion is incredably gear & lvl based while GW2 has an opposing system allowing players to PVP imediatly on a somewhat lvl playing ground, no grind required.  Some times I enjoy both systems and one genraly makes me appreciate the other.

If anyone ellse has an MMO with good synergy to GW2, please post it here.

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Aion complements other games nicely since it's Truly F2P.  It's great for it's social aspects too (something missing in GW2), with raiding, and meaningful grouping for campaign progression, gear, and such.

Abandonware is also a good alternate (to complement GW2, though not MMOs) if you are on a budget, as there are some nice older games available, no longer sold or supported .. lost in time, now essentially free (needs to be completely out of circulation & no longer a retail item for something like 10+ years).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I think some people are usuing Guild Wars 2 as something to do in between raids in their EQ or WoW guilds.  I've been toying around with some F2P titles.  MIght dive back into RIFT though.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I like the combat in Vindictus, but the story (the story itself is not bad, it's just told very cheaply) and lack of a persistent central world does make it more of a novelty than a real persistent game. The combat alone makes it worth checking out and playing for a few days though. And it's free - so no loss if you don't like it.

I wanted Vanguard to be my throwback once it went F2P, but the restrictions on it are too harsh, and it still isn't very well optimized. Similar story with EQ2 - just couldn't get into either of those, even after years of playtime in original EQ.

If you haven't tried it yet - AoC isn't bad starting out. It's combat is similar to GW2, and the intro story line is very good - among the best. It kinda peters out once you get past L30ish though, although maybe it's gotten better, I haven't played it in a good while.

There's also a lot of good single player games out - Skyrim is nearly an MMO in and of itself.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Real Life
  • SheepduckSheepduck Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Elandir90
    Real Life

^ Agree. How about some real life, nice fresh air, some sunlight

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    GW2 is the perfect compliment to fast paced single player games or action games like Torchlight 2.  I'll be playing GW2, WarZ and TL2 which seems to handle most if not all my gaming needs.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Sheepduck
    Real Life

all hype. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Real Life

Real life is a myth lol

HKO goes well with GW2 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Real Life

all hype. 

The graphics are really good. But it's just Waaayyy to P2W. Talk about your grinder I mean holy crap! The class imbalance is obvious. and the Cash Shop is ridiculous, Have you seen what's in there?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Real Life

all hype. 

The graphics are really good. But it's just Waaayyy to P2W. Talk about your grinder I mean holy crap! The class imbalance is obvious. and the Cash Shop is ridiculous, Have you seen what's in there?

Worst is the pre-made characters. And you can't pick your starter zone!

Real Life

all hype. 

Yeah the cash shop kinda puts a damper on things...  I mean the concept is great. You can do anything, but then you go in through in perma death, and all that goes out the window. 

Originally posted by Nikopol
    Real Life

all hype. 

I thought the CC was pretty good.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Real Life

all hype. 

No in-game tutorial, even in a sandbox is no good either.  Plus PVP is rough.  All the good gear is hoarded by the elitists.  No resurrection or evacs also make for a short game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Real Life

all hype. 

No in-game tutorial, even in a sandbox is no good either.  Plus PVP is rough.  All the good gear is hoarded by the elitists.  No resurrection or evacs also make for a short game.

Too many defined roles and the community is the worst. 

• JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Real Life

all hype. 

Yeah it sucks that you cannot pick your own looks either. I know there are some sort of extreme makeover kits in the cash shop but I cannot afford those :(

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Jeleena
    Real Life

all hype. 

Yeah it sucks that you cannot pick your own looks either. I know there are some sort of extreme makeover kits in the cash shop but I cannot afford those :(

On top of that, their success rate is on an RNG system and there are no refunds

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I know you asked for an MMO but I can't think of any soooo..... play Skyrim? :D Also there's Dark Souls which is very cool!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by Jeleena
    Real Life

all hype. 

On top of that, their success rate is on an RNG system and there are no refunds

I think the worst part is that you can't just go kill the monsters and be done with it.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Real life is so full of bugs and worst launch ever. Open pk is a gank fest.

• protodoxaprotodoxa Member Posts: 14
    I find that complimenting to GW2 is another themepark with quests. After GW2, quests seem so quaint and relaxing that it makes them seem much more interesting than before. As artifacts, maybe, or perhaps I like them better? I don't know...