Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One

Comments

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    My problem is there is no info how to get back into the game and their account service was so bad last time, they didn't even have paypal, you had to use clickbuy... maybe they changed it since but it was poor.
  • XCmanXCman Member UncommonPosts: 10

I think your right that the game was finished in the eyes of Square Enix. They had an old development team that were stuck in a notion fo building an MMO 5-6 years ago and didn't really pay attention to the state of MMO's now.

FFXIV was intentionally designed to be different, but they were dealing with an MMO audience that had been conditioned by Blizzard in thinking that everything WoW did is how MMO's should be.  And to some degree that is correct.

The problem with FFXIV is the in game tutorial was completely lacking in teaching players how to play the game because it was so different.  For the most part ppl quite from frustration of not knowing how to play the game.  The technical issues of server lag because all servers are in japan, UI slowness, cumbersome crafting... etc just compounded the problem.

Now ARR, really fixes all issues and provides new features. And as if the game wasn't pretty enough they are making the graphics better. redesigning all the world maps. (existing city layouts are staying the same), putting on new servers.

This is a entirely different game and worth the second chance.

• XCmanXCman Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Dakirn

If you think that "only this game is toxic, the next one will be okay" you really are looking through rose colored glasses.

Sorry, but the players don't let crap like this ride.  If they came out with their next product, everyone will be like "oh after FFXIV I won't go near a Square/Enix game again!"

Just look what happened to AoC and Funcom, people won't even consider TSW no matter how good of a game it is.  And AoC was NOWHERE near as bad as FFXIV.

Personally no amount of "rebirth" could interest me in this game, nor can I support a studio that admit their game is complete crap and then makes them pay a premium price to play it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then does't that say something about those players? That they allow their unbridaled emotions rule over everything they do?

It's true that some people have the "you get one chance" mentality but if everyone had that hard line of a stance for everything and everyone then WE WOULD ALL BE IN THE DOG HOUSE.

Seriously, there is not a one of us who hasn't screwed up at least once in our lives. Does that mean we don't get the chance to learn from our mistakes?

As far as your above statmement, if TSW is a good game then staying away from it "just because" Funcom has issues means that players won't experience a great game.

Since companies screw up we would find that we weren't taking part in any of their products because of that one (or more) screw up.

New Coke? Forget it, never touching any soda from that company again! No Rober Downey Jr. Movies either. And Clint Eastwood for that matter.

Windows ME or Vista? That's it, not touching another MS product ever again. Nothing but straight Linux from here on out. I'm sure all their distributions are amazing.

The issue shouldn't be "you screwed up you are on the blacklist forver". the issue should be "you screwed up and never, ever tried to make ammends or make things right.

... dary.

now suit up.

Square-Enix has messed up a lot more than just FFXIV in some peoples opinion. It makes since for those people not to want to waste money.

This is true, and while Squenix hasn't said anything about a free trial.  I think they need a pretty kickass one to get ppl to try it out before they sink money into it to really start getting ppl to start considering to come back after being burned once.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Though it is a good point that Realm Reborn is essentially a new game, FFXIV 1.0 was SO bad in every possible way that it indicated that no one at SE, or at least who worked on this particular game, had any real understanding of mmo or even game design. Those now working on 2.0 are still SE employees, and the rot may be common to the entire company, not just Tanaka and Co. Plausible given SE's other recent titles and its attitudes and management as a whole.

Even if they correct most of the problems of FFXIV 1.0 that we the players and the industry critics told them about, they are still out of touch, and 2 yrs won’t be enough time to catch up. At most, Realm Reborn will be mediocre, and feel around 5 yrs out of date, which is better than 1.0s 10- 15 yrs, but not enough for a renaissance of the franchise. Nothing less than a masterpiece will do, not for the fans, they will convince themselves it is good enough, but for everyone else who where fans, or who could be.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by XCman
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Dakirn

If you think that "only this game is toxic, the next one will be okay" you really are looking through rose colored glasses.

Sorry, but the players don't let crap like this ride.  If they came out with their next product, everyone will be like "oh after FFXIV I won't go near a Square/Enix game again!"

Just look what happened to AoC and Funcom, people won't even consider TSW no matter how good of a game it is.  And AoC was NOWHERE near as bad as FFXIV.

Personally no amount of "rebirth" could interest me in this game, nor can I support a studio that admit their game is complete crap and then makes them pay a premium price to play it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then does't that say something about those players? That they allow their unbridaled emotions rule over everything they do?

It's true that some people have the "you get one chance" mentality but if everyone had that hard line of a stance for everything and everyone then WE WOULD ALL BE IN THE DOG HOUSE.

Seriously, there is not a one of us who hasn't screwed up at least once in our lives. Does that mean we don't get the chance to learn from our mistakes?

As far as your above statmement, if TSW is a good game then staying away from it "just because" Funcom has issues means that players won't experience a great game.

Since companies screw up we would find that we weren't taking part in any of their products because of that one (or more) screw up.

New Coke? Forget it, never touching any soda from that company again! No Rober Downey Jr. Movies either. And Clint Eastwood for that matter.

Windows ME or Vista? That's it, not touching another MS product ever again. Nothing but straight Linux from here on out. I'm sure all their distributions are amazing.

The issue shouldn't be "you screwed up you are on the blacklist forver". the issue should be "you screwed up and never, ever tried to make ammends or make things right.

... dary.

now suit up.

Square-Enix has messed up a lot more than just FFXIV in some peoples opinion. It makes since for those people not to want to waste money.

This is true, and while Squenix hasn't said anything about a free trial.  I think they need a pretty kickass one to get ppl to try it out before they sink money into it to really start getting ppl to start considering to come back after being burned once.

They arlready said it will have a free trial for those who buy FXIV in the first place.

• guin10guin10 Member Posts: 21

I watched the gameplay video and the game is completely different. I will give a second try.

And I will say again: FF XIV: A Realm Reborn needs its own forum. Darkfall Unholy Wars already has its own forum.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Sure, and it makes sense that if they want to repair their image and customer relations then they really need to step it up and bring their A game.

Whatever that entails.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    yea this is a remake not a fixing of the old game new engine and other things
  • Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    It's still the best looking MMO on the market, so what if it launches and it PLAYS like the best MMO on the market?
    actully they have said if you bought the game before you get your free month back
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Man some people are way too melodramatic about this whole thing.

They definitely screwed up w/ FFXIV, but it's fairly commendable to see them trying to fix their game. And it is a revamp by the looks of it, not just some facelifts. However, the article does have a good point in that by the time FFXIV finishes it's re-release to the world, there's a very good chance it will be just as irrelevant. And having them make a FFXI-2 isn't really in the cards. Would take too much money and time, but they are trying to make FFXIV as close to that idea as possible by the looks of it.

The sad truth, though, when it comes to the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, is that they have lost most of their talent. They can still make some of the prettiest graphics you've ever seen, but that's not what made FF games great. The eye candy is great, but what made me love FF games was great storytelling, phenominal game design, and some of the best soundtracks to go along with. I'm hoping the new designer they have on this will really start to shine in the coming years, or the FF franchise is going to be in trouble. The last few games have been pretty bad.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I think the opinion of the OP is wrong personally.

I think that a much publicized retooling and relaunch and a free month welcome back is exactly the right approach to take with a failed MMORPG like this, and one we should be supporting fully rather than the 'fail and throw away' opinion of the OP.

Those that bought it before have literally nothing to lose in re-trying it and the fresh new launch with fresh new servers is extremely attractive to many.

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean it won't work now. To assume a fail before seeing it just indicates a lack of imagination as far as I can see.

Originally posted by aesperus

Man some people are way too melodramatic about this whole thing.

They definitely screwed up w/ FFXIV, but it's fairly commendable to see them trying to fix their game. And it is a revamp by the looks of it, not just some facelifts. However, the article does have a good point in that by the time FFXIV finishes it's re-release to the world, there's a very good chance it will be just as irrelevant. And having them make a FFXI-2 isn't really in the cards. Would take too much money and time, but they are trying to make FFXIV as close to that idea as possible by the looks of it.

The sad truth, though, when it comes to the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, is that they have lost most of their talent. They can still make some of the prettiest graphics you've ever seen, but that's not what made FF games great. The eye candy is great, but what made me love FF games was great storytelling, phenominal game design, and some of the best soundtracks to go along with. I'm hoping the new designer they have on this will really start to shine in the coming years, or the FF franchise is going to be in trouble. The last few games have been pretty bad.

i hear type 0 is  going int he right dirction the whole ff13 thing is dumb but diffreant lead people will get you that let shope versus 113 is int he right dirction 2

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

You knew it was bad when they had to have a line in a patch note to say they are making changes to the UI to make it geared towards being played with a keyboard or something.   Like WTF did they think they were making this game for?  It's like they have been living in a bubble since FFXI and literally had no idea what the game world around them had done in the last decade, then forgot half of their own innovations that they themselves invented.

They deserve to be burned for making a bad game.   Much like SWTOR, you can not slap a good IP on a bad game and expect to be rewarded for it with people's money and success.  The entire FF franchise has been soiled (long before this imo).

EDIT:  This is from someone who absolutely loved FFXI.

and you wont give the remake a try >.>
    Originally posted by Paragus1

You knew it was bad when they had to have a line in a patch note to say they are making changes to the UI to make it geared towards being played with a keyboard or something.   Like WTF did they think they were making this game for?  It's like they have been living in a bubble since FFXI and literally had no idea what the game world around them had done in the last decade, then forgot half of their own innovations that they themselves invented.

They deserve to be burned for making a bad game.   Much like SWTOR, you can not slap a good IP on a bad game and expect to be rewarded for it with people's money and success.  The entire FF franchise has been soiled (long before this imo).

But if EA had come out and apologised for SWTOR at the start, made it free to play for a year while they remade it, and then relaunched it with a free month I would think a LOT more of them then I do now. 

Kudos to SE for having the humility, generosity, and obvious love of their IP to do what they are doing. For those reasons alone they deserve a second chance from me.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Kudos to SE for having the humility, generosity, and obvious love of their IP to do what they are doing. For those reasons alone they deserve a second chance from me.

And shame, don't forget shame.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

With the amount of effort and changes to the game, I'm gonna have to play it again just to see.

This was one I had a few friends looking forwards to, and I still hope the new version can pull off being a decent game.

We shall see. ^_^

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

And shame, don't forget shame.

It is good that a dev feels embarrassed enough for delivering a bad game that they want to fix it. And it's good that they don't expect the customer to carry the cost while they do. 

If the gesture is born out of shame then at least it shows that they are still capable of it, unlike most devs.

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

In my opinion FFXIV rebourn sounds good... I had a lot of hope for that game when it came out two years ago, and like the author of this article (and thousands of others) I had a huge let down. I always figured Square-Enix was a sure bet, since FFXIV I haven't bought a major release from the company period.

I would love to give FFXIV a second chance, in my opinion though all previous players of FFXIV should get 1 free month when the new version launches just to give us a chance to try it out. I'm so upset with the game that I wouldn't play it on re-launch unless it was free. I'd rather wait and see what the good people at gamespot, and mmorpg.com have to say about it first. Also if they make me drop another $49.99 for the game then I'm out.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    You know i'm starting to think Square Enix would do a lot better if they simply got into anime or making CGI films instead. They are incredibly good at creating visually stunning cinematics as well as creating lovable characters and fantastic music. /problemsolved?
  • Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170
    I like the FF11-2 idea better. i loved ff11 for a time. i never loved ff14. thank GOD i didn't actually pay anything for it. Ex gf comment was good, but then personally i've had an easier time getting over exes.

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by Quicksand
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Oh, Final fantasy.

Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

Things will be different this time, wont they? WONT THEY!?

This.

And I cant wait for the re-release, Its going to be legend.....wait for it......

.....still waitin for it   :)

Don't hold your breath.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Paragus1

But if EA had come out and apologised for SWTOR at the start, made it free to play for a year while they remade it, and then relaunched it with a free month I would think a LOT more of them then I do now. 

I second this, they admited they were wrong and went about to change it. I've been playing on and off since release and managed to get legacy status which is cool. The problem with EA BioWare is even today they still think they did nothing wrong, they are in denial.

I can understand the doubt and many that were burn will need convincing, i'm pretty sure that the people who own the game will get a free trail to check out the remake. This would go along way in appeasing the players who spent cash on the original game, many of  them have been loyal fans for years.

• alyosha17alyosha17 Member Posts: 156

Is this why you guys don't list FFXIV: ARR in the upcoming games section, because you hold a grudge.

I'm going to say something which will probably get me banned, but this is a site which people come to for news.  So give us news, not some petty opinion-piece on the front page with zero information about the game.

There are enough crappy features in FFXIV: ARR to complaing about, so at least put some effort into hating it rather than just spamming the front page with one sentiment inflated into an entire article.

The developers at SE are making an effort to turn the game around, as a news site, try to report on that for once in your lives.  Honestly, the amount of ineptitude on this website is astonishing.  You never list new games until months after they're announced on other websites, you create this flawed opinion pieces with zero information to back up your claims.

Don't decide things for your readers! Give them the information so they can decide whether or not to hate the game.  You can't decide that for them because you had a bad birthday.  Honestly.  Get a grip.