Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Citadel of Sorcery: Opening the Door to the Citadel

2»

Comments

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

"In CoS there is no end to advancing your character; there is no end to going on quests; there is no end to the game in that sense.  You continue on in a living world."

I've been hoping for something like that since the first time I hit a level cap in a Diku MUD circa 1992. The closest thing to it I've seen, aside from remort systems in MUDs (which are really just repeating the same content with added skills) is Asheron's Call and its level cap of 275, which was supposed to be unobtainable. Nobody's even tried to do it since then, and that was 13 years ago. At some point, I just began believing it was impossible to do. If this game delivers on its promise, I'll be thrilled to be wrong.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    Originally posted by EpuntheSmall
    I didn't realize how long theyve been working on this.  Just saw on their FB that it started in 2004?  Thats a long time to be developing a game isnt it?  https://www.facebook.com/CitadelofSorcery

Well , mainly the tools but they arte a key part of the Game. Ambitious lets hope this flies. I just love the head east scenario and you will be tracked down and killed byu your nemesis. It's inevitable you will be hunted :).

I was chilling having a beer and he came out of nowhere , great approach.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

I will certainly keep an eye out for this.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

does anyone else worry about the world being too big? as in might not see another player for days if you just wonder off.  Dunno if thats awesome or not though just yet

also, Bill, how did you not ask if Phil Blood is his real name?

• TooCrypticTooCryptic Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

does anyone else worry about the world being too big? as in might not see another player for days if you just wonder off.  Dunno if thats awesome or not though just yet

oh oh finally a question I can answer!  gawd have I really spent all eveneing reading about this game?!  anyhow, they said in a dev post that you can travel anywhere but as you get further away from developed lands it gets more and more wild, bsically encouraging you to stay close.  I hope they open it up for people doing map making, that probably sounds like one of the best past times to me.  Seriously, since my friend sent me this facebook link I just keep getting deeper and deeper into this game!

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Most of the way they describe how the game will be sounds really good, but I do have some thoughts on the subject.

1. Many Indy developers have set similar lofty goals and ended up never releasing their game or releasing a far inferior product than their goals set the game out to be.

2. They're currently looking for funding, talent, and other things. A worrying sign, since a game of this magnitude will cost a lot, and that's considering they already have the engine complete.

3. Bioware says that their release version of SWTOR had the content to make several KoToR length games, yet players still burnt through it within the first month for most, and less than 2 weeks for the more zealous of gamers. Release content is finite, so eventually players will exhaust the content, so I disbelieve that players won't run out of quests like the developers boast as their reason for not having endgame. We've heard that before with SWTOR and GW2, and players seen all of the content in both games rather quickly.

4. Developers said that players will be in combat ALOT. That's exactly what I DON'T want. All MMORPG's these days are too heavy on the combat side, and lack sufficient side features to entertain players to give them a break away from all the fighting.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    I really hope exploration and gathering the rarest of crafting materials for crafters goes hand in hand. I like the exploring and time invested, having a solid customer base for special stuff I find. Not like right now, where every crafter can get the rarest of stuffs themselves in 10 minutes or from the auction house for bargain prices...

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by nate1980

Most of the way they describe how the game will be sounds really good, but I do have some thoughts on the subject.

1. Many Indy developers have set similar lofty goals and ended up never releasing their game or releasing a far inferior product than their goals set the game out to be.

2. They're currently looking for funding, talent, and other things. A worrying sign, since a game of this magnitude will cost a lot, and that's considering they already have the engine complete.

3. Bioware says that their release version of SWTOR had the content to make several KoToR length games, yet players still burnt through it within the first month for most, and less than 2 weeks for the more zealous of gamers. Release content is finite, so eventually players will exhaust the content, so I disbelieve that players won't run out of quests like the developers boast as their reason for not having endgame. We've heard that before with SWTOR and GW2, and players seen all of the content in both games rather quickly.

4. Developers said that players will be in combat ALOT. That's exactly what I DON'T want. All MMORPG's these days are too heavy on the combat side, and lack sufficient side features to entertain players to give them a break away from all the fighting.

Well, if you read the official forums some of your concerns are discussed in detail but here is the short version:

1. The systems that they are advertising have actually been already mostly developed. It's not just an idea where a group of enthusiasts bite more than they can chew and then deliver something close but not quite. Every single thing the company has announced is already in place.

2. This has been a privately funded group and they have always been looking for funding, talent and other things. The current kickstarter project is to relieve some bottlenecks to be able to get to alpha sooner. The project will continue to develop like it always has regardless, we'll just have to wait longer for release.

3. The difference between Bioware's product and CoS is that the story in SWTOR is statically written, once you're done, your done. In CoS the story is written to be dynamic, so even if a player plays 20 hours a day and manages to burn through the majority of the quests, quests keep generating themselves dynamically. So in theory, it's highly unlikely to burn through all the content within one month. I'll give you an example: say you've burned through so many quests that now you are getting the same quest - a woman lost her son and wants you to look for him - the first time you did it, the boy was involved in some secret bandit group, the king had a bounty on his head and so on.. the second time around when you get the same quest the boy would be actually kidnapped rather than involved and that little detail makes your whole quest of looking for him totally different. Killing a certain NPC might have worked the first time but it would lead to bad results the second time, you encounter different events, places, plots, story elemnts and things to do to the point where you barely recognize that this is the same quest.

4. There will be a lot of combat for those who choose to, but also a lot of other things. You can, for example, use cunning, sneaking, research etc. There are a lot of activities that don't involve combat, events to attend, mini games to play, social hubs, theater, entertainment and much more. You can even take on treasure hunting or exploring and map making. I was concerned about the same thing at first and when I asked, I got very satisfying answers.

I hope that helped clear some stuff up, and I wish them best of luck with their kickstarter.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    ill support this..
  • dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183
    This looks insanely ambitious and fun, but the graphcis are archaic...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by dimasok
    This looks insanely ambitious and fun, but the graphcis are archaic...

I knew a comment like this was going to surface. It's something that came to my mind as well.

I suppose it's a double edge sword.

This is an indy game and they usually can't afford to have cutting edge graphics.

I would agree that the graphics look dated. My first thought was "that's fine for me but someone is going to be expecting AAA graphics and not wanting to play the game because it doesn't have them".

I'm not sure what the answer is. You can' have (or it's probably possible but rare) and indy game that has AAA everything but at a budget price to develop.

This is why AAA games don't take chances. They need to not only recoup money but actually survive.

This game has different systems (or so it claims) and a lot has gone into creating those systems. But cutting edge or even competitive graphics are just not going to be on the table.

Which is a shame becuase there are going to be people who don't play it because of this. And on a certain level I understand why. I know people like to take out the old mantra "gameplay is better than graphics". But the truth is that for many people, the world and avatars must be engaging. If a person is not engaged and is too busy musing over stiff avatars or weird lighting then they are going to move on.

My sense is that this game will speak to older mmo players who have no problem with graphics (heck, I just bought planescape torment and I'm loving it) and mmo players who are looking for something different.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42
    If you look closely at the screenshots, it states "pre-alpha" there. The graphics have greatly improved  from the time they first released their placeholder screenshots, and will probably keep improving until release. Their current focus is the game system itself, graphics might change later although I would not mind the current graphics at all. 
  • TooCrypticTooCryptic Member Posts: 7
    kinda makes sense to put graphics last really... from what I know it is easy to plop it in and the longer you wait until you do usually the most up to date it is right?  I just hope that they plan on artists as some of this bottleneck
  • JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Graphics in Citadel of Sorcery are Pre-Alpha, and are a long way from finished.   We appreciate the desire for a good looking game, and will do our best to add that to the technology and game play that has been our main focus so far.  We also welcome any questions by the community, we are trying to let players understand what we are doing every step of the way.  We answer ALL questions directed to us on our Forums (and most on these forums as well), so if you want to know more, ask!
  • RafanestRafanest Member Posts: 13
    The game looks pretty good. I like these ideas very much. Hope we could enjoy it soon.
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    Got tbh, its got my attention for sure :-)

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Mine too.

• mythranda1mythranda1 Member Posts: 16

Most recent blog post by the lead designer gives some really good info, AND some side by side screenshots of Guild Wars 2 finished graphics vs. Citadel of Sorcery Pre-Alpha graphics...sounds like they are really well on the way to making this game a reality.

http://philipblood.blogspot.com/