Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are F2P/B2P MMOs really competition for P2P MMOs?

LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

As topic states. It came to my mind when I bought MoP yesterday and had bought GW2 on launch.

I don't think they are from a business standpoint. For the love of God, it's $14.99 at most per month; my gas money costs nearly $100 a month (I have a CBR1000RR, not a cage).

I live to go faster...or die trying.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

F2P / B2P with cash shop often make more money than P2P, reason is that when 1000 players play your game, a few of them are going to be rich, they call them "whales" in the gaming industry, whales are people who are loaded and don't mind spending a few thousand dollars on a game per month. If they catch those whales, they pay for all the people not paying.

F2P is horrible, it doesn't exist, it's just a way to lure people in and then clean their bank account.

F2P also always die very soon, because all the people not paying realise they can't progress without paying, and they end up leaving jumping onto the next F2P game and the cycle continues.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Lienhart

As topic states. It came to my mind when I bought MoP yesterday and had bought GW2 on launch.

I don't think they are from a business standpoint. For the love of God, it's $14.99 at most per month; my gas money costs nearly $100 a month (I have a CBR1000RR, not a cage).

The answer is yes. F2P is gaining ground on P2P.

http://www.newzoo.com/trend-reports/mmo-trend-report/

"Free-to-play MMO games take 47% of all money spent on MMO games in the US, up from 39% in 2010"

"The total US F2P MMO market has grown from $1.0bn to $1.2bn: +24%"

"Free-to-play MMO games gross more revenues than Pay-to-play MMOs in Asian (51%), European (53%) and Emerging markets (59%)"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    They're competing more for my time than for my money, so yes, yes they are.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    They're competing more for my time than for my money, so yes, yes they are.

Exactly. Time is one of the biggest factors for many people.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If there was such a thing as f2p maybe, but all the f2p games I have tried all cost money at some point in the game.  In fact the more you play a f2p the more it is going to cost you.  So the term f2p is a misnomer.  
  • sekuharadaioosekuharadaioo Member Posts: 22

its free to play, and pay to win.

some games however, for instance league of legends, paying does not guarantee win, and you dont need to pay to win (if you dont count fansy skins as "win" ). 

Games currently playing:
    ------------------------
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    World of Warcraft
    Light of Nova
    League of Legends

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Yes and No.    Just like consoles the Wii really didn't compete with xbox360 or PS3, but coexisted.  Games with the P2W business model fill the same role.    

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    The marketplace is wide open, and all the pay models are viable.  For a small indie F2P is really the only way to get a larger audience exposed to the game.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    If there was such a thing as f2p maybe, but all the f2p games I have tried all cost money at some point in the game.  In fact the more you play a f2p the more it is going to cost you.  So the term f2p is a misnomer.  

*Confused face*

Did you get to play the game for free?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    They are not competing from an overall quiality stand point. They are competitive within the same genre for time though. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by bcbully
    They are not competing from an overall quiality stand point. They are competitive within the same genre for time though. 

There's no correlation between quality and payment method. Many P2P MMOs have poor quality and many F2P/B2P succeed P2P MMOs in quality.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    "They are not competing from an overall quiality stand point." - bcbully

bcbully, I don't buy that argument at all. The argument is not only false but a joke. Not only is the argument a joke, but it's the most hypocritical statements any of the game trashers on this forum can make.

• All the MMOs are clones.
    • The devs are all lazy.
    • There's no innovation.
    • The titles are rushed out.
    • Publishers are ruining the games.
    • Every MMO is FAIL.

...but they're better quality because they are subscription.

Let's forget that barely any subscription games released since 2007 have been able to hold onto a decent number of subs... or even stay open for that matter. Let's ingore the recent successes of Allods, Runes of Magic, Atlantica Online and all the other F2P MMOs that are far more popular, far more profitable and offer far more content than recent sub-based MMO releases.  Let's ingore the data from multiple research companies that shows that F2P is not only competition but recently has become more popular with MMO gamers.

If we do that, then I agree that quality doesn't play into it at all.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    well not for me anyway, i have yet to find a good f2p/b2p game that would take me away from Darkfall...
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

All I know is that 14$ every month means I can buy a new game every 2 months, instead I'm paying every month to keep playing this same game which I already payed box for and I know they won't push the amount of content they should for that money. 

So I don't think of it as a competition of F2P with P2P, I just look at P2P model and think how absurd that is nowadays. Never again am I going down that road. :D

Also, F2P allows me to kinda see the game for myself before I even consider investing money in it (if it suddenly prevents me from advancing) since I played the game myself and I can see if the game is worth giving money to or not. Not something I had the chance to do with P2P titles.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by korent1991

All I know is that 14$ every month means I can buy a new game every 2 months, instead I'm paying every month to keep playing this same game which I already payed box for and I know they won't push the amount of content they should for that money. 

So I don't think of it as a competition of F2P with P2P, I just look at P2P model and think how absurd that is nowadays. Never again am I going down that road. :D

Also, F2P allows me to kinda see the game for myself before I even consider investing money in it (if it suddenly prevents me from advancing) since I played the game myself and I can see if the game is worth giving money to or not. Not something I had the chance to do with P2P titles.

Plus, you can play a game for a while, and hop to the next one. There are so MANY of them out there, that i will never run out of games to play.

Personally, i won't play a sub game after my WOW annual pass is up .. not even WOW will get me back to a sub game.