Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to other MMO´s

2»

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I actually tried WoW again last night, just for curiousity, on a free trial account, and made a Panda.  I kept trying to dodge and kept pressing F to loot.  I realized i just needed to stand in place and cast my skills instead.  Didn't need to use interrupts either.

I like that WoW has castbars & HP text though.  I missed those.  

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Ultimately i found it dissapointing. Without making a thesis of a post, there are positives to GW2. It has great graphics. It runs well. Sadly under all the makeup and perfume i found it to be a rather drab and boring game. Incredibly unbalanced PvP, exploiting and map hacking every other game. Its not like anyone can deny what im saying. The information is plastered all over the internet.

It seems you guys are enjoying it and thats great. Im glad there is no monthly payment and i will try it again from time to time. I just dont find the balance in PvP, or even PvE to be competitive, or addicting in any fashion. I havent played in a few weeks so im sure things could have changed somewhat.

Edit; I just thought about it i just also add;

I didnt "quit" GW2 for another MMO. I just happen to be in limbo of not messing with MMOs right now. If anyone is in the same situation a few games im messing with you *might* enjoy are XCOM (the new one), War of the Roses, DayZ and sitting here getting ready to purchase WarZ alpha or Planetside 2 beta. Getting ready to purchase. Any old timers remember testing this stuff for free? heh.

Edit 2; This whole post was actually meant as a reply to the one right above it >.< Since it still applies somewhat, ill leave it here. Apologies if this seemed a bit off LOL. oops!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Today i tried some of my favourite MMO´s just to see how they compared to GW2..

Playing an hour of each of them ( EQ2,Lotro, Vanguard) made me realise there is no way back for me to these kind of stale combat mechanics.. DDO prooved to be a bit more fun but then i am a D&D worldsetting and ruleset addict with a long pen and paper history, on top of that DCUO combat actually withstood the test.

For myself i have found that i prefer a game with much more acticve combat then the oldfashioned stand and push button MMO´s...Online games have evolved past the WoW/EQ model for me.

Playing GW2 has made me realise that its an awesome game so far and by far the best MMO around to suit my gaming needs at this current day. But i also realise its not perfect..

Many times i miss the trinity

Sometimes i wish that there would be some old fashioned quests, not to many but just a few more to tell some background stories

A little of open world server PvP would be appreciated, not everywhere, but i could imagine the 3 factions or the 5 races still openly fighting eachother in certain zones.

WvWvW has still many shortcommings, i really miss the personal rewards i remember from DAoCs realmpoints and realmranks. And i realy really miss the stupid killspam.

I still miss the point why all instances must have the same main target areas in sPvP.

But in the end there is no way back, no way back to the old more static MMO games.... dynamic worlds and dynamic combat are the future of MMO´s. And GW2 is the first real step to proof that.

Background for quests/DEs is there. You just have to talk to them for further details and/or wait and listen for what happens next after you complete an event. I understand your points, and although I don't agree with you on the parts that are missing in GW2 from other games, I become nostalgic over certain things that remind me of GW1 and how ANet did it in the prequel. For example the story in GW1:Prophecies is much better than the one in Factions, Nightfall and EotN. The missions follow each other much better and tell the story in a more coherent way. The story of GW2 feels to me like you have to do your race story from 1-x, then your order story from x-y and then comes Trahearne and ruins the story altogether.

It just feels segregated and not thought through. What makes the story even worse is no antagonist got any kind of personality. They are just evil and Trahearne is evil too, in another sense. The three NPCs I remember from playing thro the story are Seiran, Tybalt and the guy who smashes stuff just for fun from the vigil. All other characters remain bland (destiny edge included). I remember a lot more from the old GW1 NPCs. The story overall may not be that great, but the characters had substance. GW2 is completely missing that part.

I know its there, but i dont see any reason not to have some old fashioned quests in addition to what is allready there. Not a lot of them, but just a few. It would add even more diversity to the game anyway.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

I know its there, but i dont see any reason not to have some old fashioned quests in addition to what is allready there. Not a lot of them, but just a few. It would add even more diversity to the game anyway.

What he means is those "old fashioned" quest stories are already there, it's just up to you to talk to the various NPCs and learn about them. The game doesn't hold your hand there.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by DMKano

Interesting - my experience is very different from the OP - been playing a ton of Rift and EQ1 lately and only jump back to GW2 for about 30 min about 2 times a week. I love the fact that GW2 offers free play and you can have fun for a very short amount of time and jump back out to your main MMORPG.

imo GW2 is designed to be a backup game - totally rocks when played like that.

I disagree, GW2 has more content than any P2P MMO had at launch. I can get lost in WvWvW for hours on end, would never have time to play another MMO. I can't even think about other games, normally things like Borderlands 2 etc would have gotten my attention but now I could care less, GW2 is all I need. Even got an invite to PS2 beta,  deleted the mail right away.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

WvWvW has still many shortcommings, i really miss the personal rewards i remember from DAoCs realmpoints and realmranks. And i realy really miss the stupid killspam.

I

Wait, there isn't even fucking kill spam? Wow. Did they even think about PvP at all?

Why would you clutter up the map with kill spam? Hell, we don't even have (or need) the actual names of the enemies. Those who are worthy of recognition are recognized, the rest are simply targets.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    The gameplay is too shallow and lacks and real purpose.
    In relation to other games, I was just as excited to play them, however the good ones were played more than 2 weeks, which was the extent of my time in gw2 before looking for anything else. It has nothing to do with combat or the ability to dodge, bit along the lines of purposeful game play, and gameplay goals, which gw2 lacks.
    I felt the grind was not rewarding, and it also gave me nothing to look forward to.

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I'm in the same boat. I tried WoW, LoTRO, TOR and some old school MMOs and the combat was so dam boring. I still like TSW and I like Tera's combat but the only MMOs I can stand to play for more than 30 minutes is GW2 and TSW. Lately I jump between GW2 and Skyrim for my sandbox single player fix.