Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first ga

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Plenty of idiots around to confuse ffa pvp with "a deathmatch arena", "CoD with orcs", "a gankfest" or whatever. Just do yourselves a favor and stop posting, you're making yourselves look stupid.

As for the op: Is DF a sandbox? Hm, let's see... You've got a giant, seamless world, no levels, no restrictions on travel, combat, or loot, you've got player-controlled vendors and cities, guild vs guild politics, all gear are crafted by players, etc. Not very themeparky.

Could it be more sanboxy? Hell yes. With regional banking, a more dynamic security system and some more PvE/crafting love, it would come close to EvE's depth and multiple viable playstyles.

Not that I think it will; AV seems intent on keeping their heavy PvP focus. But claiming DF is a themepark is just embarrasing.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I can play the game any way I want. My first character I just did quests and crafting, selling to people and finding the best mining spots and going out to fish.

After the US server went up I created and archer/ranger and would make camp fires and skin animals. I would use the "use flag" system to create my own quests and hand them out to noobies. The rewards were battle bags.

How is that not a sandbox?

You can do pretty much the same in LOTRO. Does it make LOTRO a sandbox too?

Nope, not even close. LOTRO puts you on rails. Hell, there are times you're playing where it's a single player experience.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I can play the game any way I want. My first character I just did quests and crafting, selling to people and finding the best mining spots and going out to fish.

After the US server went up I created and archer/ranger and would make camp fires and skin animals. I would use the "use flag" system to create my own quests and hand them out to noobies. The rewards were battle bags.

How is that not a sandbox?

You can do pretty much the same in LOTRO. Does it make LOTRO a sandbox too?

LOL.

This is almost as spectacular as when our beloved (and missing) Zorndorf was trying to explain to everyone how WOW was actually a sandbox game. Nice work, Mr. Gdemami ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Darkfall is PVP-themepark. There's simply nothing to do apart from running off, getting killed, rezzing, gearing up, killing till you get killed, rez, get geared up...etc etc
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Doesn't matter how you label the damn thing, I hated the game and I see nothing that would change my mind about its second incarnation.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by kishe
    Darkfall is PVP-themepark. There's simply nothing to do apart from running off, getting killed, rezzing, gearing up, killing till you get killed, rez, get geared up...etc etc

And there we go, the derp is now at critical mass.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802

DF:UW has many revamped features and additions that make it MORE sandbox than before but I guess there is a lot of "fluff" people would like too.

You've got a completely redone crafting system which is more complex, requires more cooperation and has new crafts. Crafting in DF1.0 was extremely important in keeping the economy going, if you were to be a trader or crafter in DF:UW you'd have the chance to become extremely wealthy.

The dungeons are revamped, dungeon traps, some dungeons have unlockable tiers which lead to bosses. New epic world bosses to hunt and kill. More PvE like this gives larger clan objectives other than pure pvp.

Some sort of points/achievement system... don't know much about it but awesome.

Treasure hunting

Sea towers, land fortresses (if the later is still in)

The tough world mobs that already existed in 1.0

More lore to the game for lore lovers

Freedom to do w/e you want I guess, own a house, build a city, take over and destroy cities, sell wares, craft, explore, roam around the world.

SO yeah semi sandbox atleast.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Is OP serious or just trolling? Themepark?...

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first game?

I don't even know where to start ; 

It's pretty simple really, if you need a tab-target system in order to play the game then Darkfall is not for you.

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

Originally posted by Xarnthal
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first game?

I don't even know where to start ; 

It's pretty simple really, if you need a tab-target system in order to play the game then Darkfall is not for you.

I'm pretty sure going by the fact he mentioned themepark he's not even touched the first game and is just feeding trolls.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Strange. I spent my time playing the original Darkfall doing a hell of a lot more than that. The game you describe is nothing more than a simple FPS. Oh, and it's "theme park" (2 words), not "themepark". I'm not sure why pretty much everyone on this site screws the term up.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Strange. I spent my time playing the original Darkfall doing a hell of a lot more than that. The game you describe is nothing more than a simple FPS. Oh, and it's "theme park" (2 words), not "themepark". I'm not sure why pretty much everyone on this site screws the term up.

I think he got most of it right when you start out you die, rez ,die ,rez join a guild and gear up then skill train die, rez, skill train, die, rez, then when maxed in skill then you play the game or at least thats what I remember doing and no the game was more of a open world pvp/ gank feast then a sandbox and it did have quests in it like a game on rails even tho you did not have to do them. The game was also set up like a theme park cause you could not go anywhere in the world at start you had to skill train up to go to some areas or the monsters alone would eat you alive.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by nolic1

I think he got most of it right when you start out you die, rez ,die ,rez join a guild and gear up then skill train die, rez, skill train, die, rez, then when maxed in skill then you play the game or at least thats what I remember doing and no the game was more of a open world pvp/ gank feast then a sandbox and it did have quests in it like a game on rails even tho you did not have to do them. The game was also set up like a theme park cause you could not go anywhere in the world at start you had to skill train up to go to some areas or the monsters alone would eat you alive.

intredasting

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by nolic1

d it did have quests in it like a game on rails even tho you did not have to do them. The game was also set up like a theme park cause you could not go anywhere in the world at start you had to skill train up to go to some areas or the monsters alone would eat you alive.

Yet you consider GW2 open world? LMAO   image

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Darkfall is a themepark game???

I couldn't get past that......

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir

Exposed is doing what he does best: pushing people's buttons. The outcomes of his OPs are highly predictable.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    In what way was the original Darkfall a themepark?  My idea of a themepark has themed zones, usually instances and is heavily quest driven.
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Exposed is doing what he does best: pushing people's buttons. The outcomes of his OPs are highly predictable.

No worries, he's useless at it :D

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I guess trollings allowed if it generates enough traffic. image

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by nate1980
    DF wasn't a sandbox or a themepark. I'd call it more akin to a CS game with skill progression, since the game was mainly a PvP-fest and lite on the PvE.

More like Quake than CS but other than that I agree.

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Most fail thread in a while, even with this tough competition. Gratz OP!

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by wrekognize

Nope, not even close.

Then DF is no sandbox either.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

An analogy is in order, since a lot of people don't understand what a sandbox or themepark is.

Lego is to sandbox as legoland is to themepark.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Darkfall is doing big steps in themepark direction since the the third expansion and this expansion will be a big step in that same direction.

The developers unfortunately decided to betray their ideals and to create just a big PvP arena and not a living sandbox experience from the looks of it and the information available at this point.

pitty it had potential to become a real good MMORPG but now at best it will be a good PvP arena with has to compete with CS and other shooter.

This quote from the community Q&A (don't forget they add also global AH and instant travel to your body afer dead) reveals their mindset and reveals at that, that they absolutely have no clue or desire to develop a complex and meaningfull sandbox game.

Judging by announced Darkfall Unholy Wars features, and the recent video interview, Darkfall Unholy Wars appears to be taking the direction of a 'PvP arena' game rather than a complete sandbox MMORPG. Could you clear up any confusion regarding this? Will Darkfall Unholy Wars no longer be the sandbox game the original developers set out to create, but instead just become a 'PvP arena' game?

That impression may have been given because we are trying to make the PvP aspect of Darkfall Unholy Wars and especially medium to large scale battles more accessible. Because of that some new features we have announced may have given you that impression. At the same time though, all the sandbox features are still there intact and quite a few have been improved. Sieging with all the politics involved for example is still a very important aspect of Darkfall Unholy Wars. The addition of the conquest system that blends villages to the whole territory control aspect of Darkfall Unholy Wars is also intended to improve the sandbox aspect of the game. There is also a completely new feature, that we are very excited about, that will allow clans to play the part of merceneries in sieges. In short, someone that considers the current Darkfall to be a sandbox game will find Unholy Wars to be even more so.

They even made the new world smaller igonring the exploration type of playstyle or those who would love to  hunt for remotely hideout. Howe sandboxy is to cut landmass. I have never see in my live a developer cutting landmass, any serious developer is putting additional landmass and new regions in a expansion .

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by cmorris975
    In what way was the original Darkfall a themepark?  My idea of a themepark has themed zones, usually instances and is heavily quest driven.

well you have one character which you develop using skills you buy and unlock to level them up.

similar to how Weapon skill system in WoW use to work. this isnt very Sandbox, since a themepark MMO or RPG can have this same thing.  You get access to all the skills. Its just like a Themepark with large level grind. "You can get everything, but just have to put in the task of leveling up to get it all"

thats not sandboxy. Themeparks do that as well...

The PvE, well what PvE content do I make? The PvE is boring and dull. I am forced to play the PvE that the developers have made and only what they made. (Which is dull and lame compared to most any other MMO's PvE content) Even Runescape had better PvE than this. I cant make my own PvE at all. Everything is Developer made, but terrible all at the same time.

not very sandbox like, since themeparks also do this.

The Aim based combat,,,, um, Tera has this as well, which is a themepark, nuff said on that,,,,

PvP is nothing but a massive guild/alliance battle for premade cities with fixed developer upgrades. Calling Guild City battles sandbox, is like calling Halaa and Wintergrasp in WoW sandbox. The same concept, just across more factions( which in this case is the guild/alliances). Not sandbox at all about this.

not sure what FFA has to do with being sandbox, since themepark MMO aslo have this....

again, what are the Sandbox elements?

Exploration? Yeah cause you cant explore in a themepark MMO,,,,, isnt this what GW2 been getting all the good news about, was its exploration options? not very sandbox like....

again,,, what was the sandbox elements in Darkfall 1?

I look at Wurm Online, I look back at Darkfall 1.....

look back at Wurm Online, look back at Darkfall 1, still not seeing the sandbox in this.

Look at WoW/Rift/AoC/Warhammer/GW2/Vanguard, than look back at Darkfall1. Oh now I see a connection....

Darkfall 1 is an open ended endgame themepark.

You progress, and once you hit endgame, you do whatever.

Sandbox is all about player made content. Which you have none in Darkfall at all.

Again look at Wurm Online and come back to Darkfall1 with that same statement that its a Sandbox... lol

Philosophy of MMO Game Design