Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

login day 1 with a guild or group of RL friends...

KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
..or expect instant gankerific griefing. whoever can get the largest group together and roving in packs wins, right?
Ive never played pvp but Ive determined Im going to try it in this game. How/where would I best fit in this game on day one? I have no RL friends that play video games at all, no family that plays and I know nothing about any guilds that would be tolerant and patient enough to accept me and teach me how to pvp. I would love to get with a mature crowd who dont going around talking nonstop about "raping" this and that.. i dont want to see constant cursing just for the sake of using "bad words", Id prefer not to use voice chat at all.
So,any advice or suggestions? Or should I not even bother?

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
—Lao-Tze

Comments

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Kenze
    ..or expect instant gankerific griefing. whoever can get the largest group together and roving in packs wins, right? Ive never played pvp but Ive determined Im going to try it in this game. How/where would I best fit in this game on day one? I have no RL friends that play video games at all, no family that plays and I know nothing about any guilds that would be tolerant and patient enough to accept me and teach me how to pvp. I would love to get with a mature crowd who dont going around talking nonstop about "raping" this and that.. i dont want to see constant cursing just for the sake of using "bad words", Id prefer not to use voice chat at all. So,any advice or suggestions? Or should I not even bother?

I wouldnt be too concerned about being solo,  hang fairly close to towns and get your quest on. You'll find the "right" guild if you choose that route, be it by chance in game or via the forums once theyre up.  Any guild worth their salt will be using voice comms during PvP.  (Above based off DF1)

But by all means give it a try, you wont find the same thrill in non full loot games.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Search for Old TImer's Guild.

Good group of people.  They have a age restriction and the voice chat is usually pretty mild.  They won't require you to use a voice program but it makes it REALLY hard if you don't to at least listen.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Clans will offer you the best advice and protection. It's not about numbers so much as it is experience. This game is not friendly to solo players very often, especially not now.

But you are more or less safe in the newbie areas.

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244

The first day or two of the game should be relatively safe around noob towns.  Most people you will encounter will be of your own race and or alignment and also using the noob town.  This means they cannot kill you then go back to town to use the bank, cause they will be red.

However, this does not take into account creative people that have one friend who goes red for the kill and a friend that stays blue to use the bank.

Also, there will be adventurous types from other races/alignments that will run straight to the enemy noob areas right of the bat for some kills.  (these people will have to be very careful because they will be outnumbered by a ton of friendly people to you.

Overall Darkfall is not a solo friendly game.  Yes you can play solo and have a great time, but this is really only possible with extensive knowledge of the game mechanics and world.  So, for a brand new player to go solo would be a very bad idea.

There are many many noob friendly guilds that will teach you the ways of Darkfall.  I believe the "new" guild will also be restarted.  (thats a no questions asked noob helping/training guild)  There are also plenty of other guilds that wil help a noob out.  Many of the elite guilds will also have an alt clan which will typically contain alts. friends and family (casuals) and noobs they are training up to make the switch over to the main guild.  Typically you would need to know someone to be placed into the training guild so you'll need to join a noob guild first and then start to network and make friends to move on.

PS.  Voice chat is aboslutely necessary in this game.  If you do not use it you will not be allowed into any decent guild as communication is abolutely key to achieving anything ingame.  The combat and battles are far to fluid and fast paced to type anything at all.  (most people actually disable/fade out their chat for better fps and only read msg.s in between fights or at downtime)  You will be dead before you finish typing out "enemies to the west" or w/e.  You may be able to find a guild that allows you to not be on voice coms all the time but as far as actually playing out in the world it is a necessity.  (or you will die before being able to warn your friends and call for help)

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by Kenze
    ..or expect instant gankerific griefing. whoever can get the largest group together and roving in packs wins, right?
    Ive never played pvp but Ive determined Im going to try it in this game. How/where would I best fit in this game on day one? I have no RL friends that play video games at all, no family that plays and I know nothing about any guilds that would be tolerant and patient enough to accept me and teach me how to pvp. I would love to get with a mature crowd who dont going around talking nonstop about "raping" this and that.. i dont want to see constant cursing just for the sake of using "bad words", Id prefer not to use voice chat at all.
    So,any advice or suggestions? Or should I not even bother?

In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another. Furthermore, ALL races will be friendly (they're uniting to battle against both gods and demons who have abused and used the mortals, according to lore), so everybody will be blue to everybody. That is until you venture well outside the NPC limits, at which point you will turn rogue and everybody can attack you. There should be plenty of things to do, at least at the start, in the safety of NPC cities.

As far as guilds go, you'll see people recruiting all the time. Darkfall forums are also a good way to research and/or find guilds.

As far as voice chat, good luck with that. In the current version of Darkfall, voice chat is basically required to operate within the group setting no matter what you're doing. Imagine playing a competative FPS game with your team, working out tactics but in the middle of a fight you have to stop and type... then get head shotted. Same with Darkfall, because of the action-combat, you can't stop to type during fights. In WoW for example, sure, you can tab target something and keep auto attacking and clicking on your skills as you're typing, but in Darkfall, it's plain and simple not possible, period. A lot of clans will not require you to speak, but just about every one will require you to be on their voice chat so that you can at least listen to calls being made during combat. I mean sure, you can find a clan that doesn't utilize voice chat at all, but that would be like shooting yourself in the foot... both feet and a right arm actually, don't join those clans, you will forever be a sheep for wolves to feed on.

Don't stress about it tho, just go play the game, once you get yourself familiar with the game a little bit, you'll also get to meet people and get to know how some guilds function. Eventually just pick a guild that suits you.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • MarioLemieuxMarioLemieux Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Well you got good answers from previous posters. Also, look at http://forums.darkfallonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81. There are a bunch of clan leaders posting there, explaining their goals and their requierements, and there`s also a stickied thread with the forum name of the clan leaders.
  • FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    There will be massive recruiting right off the bat by large clans.  If you want a group of people to play with, it will likely take you 10 minutes or less to get one during the first week of launch.
  • psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Drvanitus

In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another. 

Where on earth did you get this from?  I don't know how that would even be possible unless they just turned off damage in cities completely.

Originally posted by psykobilly

In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another. 

Where on earth did you get this from?  I don't know how that would even be possible unless they just turned off damage in cities completely.

Its the rumor some suckers have been spreading around.   Definetly not true.

Originally posted by 123443211234
    Originally posted by psykobilly Originally posted by Drvanitus   In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another. 

Haha, so many ignorant people on these boards that don't know what they're talking about and provide misguiding information based on assumptions.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2454

We’re making changes in starting areas to protect new players during their first steps in the game. More and more powerful guard towers have been added. This will create a safer place for new players since the towers will react to any PvP even if it’s between players of enemy clans. As usual, red players won’t be welcome in starting areas. We’re not looking to create safe zones but we think that a tiny fraction of the game should have safer zones than what we offer now, and that new players should be able to enjoy some protection against disruptive behaviors while they learn the game basics. In contrast, the vast majority of Agon, outside starting areas, is now lawless.

"Absolutely not true".... lol. I would hate to take your word for anything that you say that's NOT "absolutely" true.

Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

We’re making changes in starting areas to protect new players during their first steps in the game. More and more powerful guard towers have been added. This will create a safer place for new players since the towers will react to any PvP even if it’s between players of enemy clans. As usual, red players won’t be welcome in starting areas. We’re not looking to create safe zones but we think that a tiny fraction of the game should have safer zones than what we offer now, and that new players should be able to enjoy some protection against disruptive behaviors while they learn the game basics. In contrast, the vast majority of Agon, outside starting areas, is now lawless.

If you were in the original EU release you will remember swarms of naked town gankers that would surround a player and all hit him while a friendly stood by to watch and loot.  Stronger towers do nothing to stop this because the tactic is based on each ganker hitting only a couple of times.  Towns might be safer but they won't be safe.

Originally posted by Drvanitus We’re making changes in starting areas to protect new players during their first steps in the game. More and more powerful guard towers have been added. This will create a safer place for new players since the towers will react to any PvP even if it’s between players of enemy clans. As usual, red players won’t be welcome in starting areas. We’re not looking to create safe zones but we think that a tiny fraction of the game should have safer zones than what we offer now, and that new players should be able to enjoy some protection against disruptive behaviors while they learn the game basics. In contrast, the vast majority of Agon, outside starting areas, is now lawless.

If you were in the original EU release you will remember swarms of naked town gankers that would surround a player and all hit him while a friendly stood by to watch and loot.  Stronger towers do nothing to stop this because the tactic is based on each ganker hitting only a couple of times.  Towns might be safer but they won't be safe.

Wont matter if you go rogue for 2 minutes. Plus on EU launch people just grinded their alignment instantly on other players, not to mention +100 positive alignment, so you could kill 10+ times before you went red. With the new system, sure they can do it once, then they're red and out of town.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by 123443211234

Originally posted by Drvanitus   In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another. 

Haha, so many ignorant people on these boards that don't know what they're talking about and provide misguiding information based on assumptions.

http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2454

"Absolutely not true".... lol. I would hate to take your word for anything that you say that's NOT "absolutely" true.

You do realise there is a difference between "safer" and "100% safe" right? The guy said that 100% safe zones where it is impossible to attack someone is not true. What you posted in reply pointed to his assumption being correct.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Yeah, sure, nice save.

Besides, they already have "newbie halo" mechanic (impossible to be attacked or attack/heal other players). They could add that on a fly to everybody that enters NPC cities.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Yeah, sure, nice save.

Besides, they already have "newbie halo" mechanic (impossible to be attacked or attack/heal other players). They could add that on a fly to everybody that enters NPC cities.

They don't need to make it 100% safe, totally impossible to be killed. It does though sound like they are making it next to impossible to do as such.

Whilst that may seem a limited difference at face value, the fact of the matter is it is vitally important. One offers protection but within a non restrictive context allowing for leeway within the system. The other places binary articial restrictions within a game which is usually against that.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Kenze, just come along with the intention of having fun.

A key point in Darkfall is that clans look after clannies.

Its in everyones best interest to improve the pvp skills of the team as a whole.

You should seriously reconsider your disinterest in voicechat though. You dont have to speak but you do need to listen. People dont type when they PvP.

You can play this game as a solo pve game, but to fully experience it you should consider a clan. Your best memories in the game will be to do with how you defended/attacked town X as a team.

I'd invite you to our planned clan, but being in the same timezone as your clannies is important (we are aussies).

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Drvanitus   Originally posted by 123443211234 Originally posted by psykobilly Originally posted by Drvanitus   In Unholy Wars, NPC cities will be 100% safe, even clans at war wont be able to attack one another.  Where on earth did you get this from?  I don't know how that would even be possible unless they just turned off damage in cities completely.  
        Haha, so many ignorant people on these boards that don't know what they're talking about and provide misguiding information based on assumptions. http://www.darkfallonline.com/blog/?p=2454   We’re making changes in starting areas to protect new players during their first steps in the game. More and more powerful guard towers have been added. This will create a safer place for new players since the towers will react to any PvP even if it’s between players of enemy clans. As usual, red players won’t be welcome in starting areas. We’re not looking to create safe zones but we think that a tiny fraction of the game should have safer zones than what we offer now, and that new players should be able to enjoy some protection against disruptive behaviors while they learn the game basics. In contrast, the vast majority of Agon, outside starting areas, is now lawless.
    You do realise there is a difference between "safer" and "100% safe" right? The guy said that 100% safe zones where it is impossible to attack someone is not true. What you posted in reply pointed to his assumption being correct.

Umm...so I win? lol.

14) Will there be an alignment system in the new version and if so, will be the same as it is in the older version?

Darkfall Unholy Wars has a different alignment system. In reality we are keeping the whole turning red situation when you kill other players in place but turning red does no longer mean you get attacked by NPC guard towers. It is just there to indicate to other players you might not be someone they can trust. What they do with the information is up to them. However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled. Even players belonging to enemy clans will be unable to damage each other in those areas. The vast majority of the world of course remains as it was. As a side note, while NPC guard towers are now completely off as they serve no purpose, Player holding towers will continue to faction as before.

Umm...so I win? lol.  

Nope sorry you don't it means you are not thinking outside the box enough.  For instance with the new fall damage mechanics you could easily use something, like say a funhulk to push/knock another player off a cliff, building, wall, w/e to fall to their death.  Then loot and profit all without using any pvp action.  Sure cities are a lot safer but no they are absolutely not going to be %100 safe.  To think so is only setting yourself up for dissapointment when you find yourself pushed out of the safe zone with all your stuff on you when you go afk for 20 min.

14) Will there be an alignment system in the new version and if so, will be the same as it is in the older version?

Darkfall Unholy Wars has a different alignment system. In reality we are keeping the whole turning red situation when you kill other players in place but turning red does no longer mean you get attacked by NPC guard towers. It is just there to indicate to other players you might not be someone they can trust. What they do with the information is up to them. However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled. Even players belonging to enemy clans will be unable to damage each other in those areas. The vast majority of the world of course remains as it was. As a side note, while NPC guard towers are now completely off as they serve no purpose, Player holding towers will continue to faction as before.

lol... ok Sherlock. Now you're stretching things into the domain of stupidity. Sure there will be GPS again doing what they do best, the point still remains, you're 100% safe in NPC cities. If you go AFK, then that's on you.

Pro tip: there's fall dmg cap still. You can NEVER die from a single fall if you're full health.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

lol... ok Sherlock. Now you're stretching things into the domain of stupidity. Sure there will be GPS again doing what they do best, the point still remains, you're 100% safe in NPC cities. If you go AFK, then that's on you.

Pro tip: there's fall dmg cap still. You can NEVER die from a single fall if you're full health.

Dont worry about him. A couple weeks ago he was trying to argue with me that they will never make cities safe. That would require them removing the ability to attack eachother and according to him that would NEVER happen, we dont know wtf we're talking about, etc.... so yeah.