Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: True Combat Mod/Boss Timers/Convenient Websites How To's Part 5

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Feel free to add your own findings thats the whole point to all of the series :)

[mod edit - removed links]

For this part I wanted to introduce things that make your life easier in guild wars 2. The true action mod can and cannot for some people. I haved to admit I underestimated the mod and thought it was a gimmick. But I'm happy to say its not and a legit addition to the game. I caution you though most people who try it never go back to the normal way the game is :)

The boss timers definately make life easier when trying to track them down and catch them alive. This doesn't really need much in depth thought it's pretty straight forward. We just need alot of community input to make this site actually work to its potential. But even as it is now its rather effective in narrowing times.

To sum up I gave a few sites I feel will help you in any information search you need. Sometimes peace of mind in a game is only a website away long as you know where said site is. Once again if you have something I missed post it don't be afraid. As far as I know these are the only additions arena net hasn't shoot down. I'd love to know more of them if anyone knows. Or get out there and try the action mod let us know what you think. If you haven't tried it already that is have a good one.

SS

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i thought the combat mod was not legit?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Will-I-get-banned-for-using-Combat-Mode-1-0/first

CC Charles

Community Coordinator

Hi,

Indeed, as Cheiron said, this programm can be assimilated as a third party one, and therefore is not allowed on our game.

Please note that utilisation of third party software can lead to a definitive suspension of your account.

futher information making it less clear

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

we cannot approve or review or "vet" any third-party program; that is a given. However, our position is somewhat different than the one expressed in the GM response, so I've already contacted the team to be sure that everyone is on the same page.

Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Nope its allowed they made a official statement.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/10a0qk/official_response_clarifying_the_stance_on_mods/

They can try and worm out of it all they like. Thier isnt a single way you can stop someone from technically using a controller to play a game. Because thats all the true mod is doing and why they cant say no. It be the same as saying we don't allow anyone to use a control pad to play our game. Which would be devastating if they actually tried to stop that half the games population leave.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

Feel free to add your own findings thats the whole point to all of the series :)

New Part 5

You can find the previous Parts here 4 3 2 1 The descriptions for them are in this post

For this part I wanted to introduce things that make your life easier in guild wars 2. The true action mod can and cannot for some people. I haved to admit I underestimated the mod and thought it was a gimmick. But I'm happy to say its not and a legit addition to the game. I caution you though most people who try it never go back to the normal way the game is :)

The boss timers definately make life easier when trying to track them down and catch them alive. This doesn't really need much in depth thought it's pretty straight forward. We just need alot of community input to make this site actually work to its potential. But even as it is now its rather effective in narrowing times.

To sum up I gave a few sites I feel will help you in any information search you need. Sometimes peace of mind in a game is only a website away long as you know where said site is. Once again if you have something I missed post it don't be afraid. As far as I know these are the only additions arena net hasn't shoot down. I'd love to know more of them if anyone knows. Or get out there and try the action mod let us know what you think. If you haven't tried it already that is have a good one.

SS

Well, it DOES give advantage to the player using it so I would think it crosses A.Net's line. The quote is:

"Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances."

But once again if you use say a Xbox controller you can do the samething. What Anet rules are trying to avoid against is botting.  This isn't botting its not even a script or interfacing with the game. Just a program that turns your keyboard basically into a controller. And they don't want to start telling people they cant do that which why they wont. Because they literally have help sections on using the game with a controller.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

You sure about that one? The conversation following the initial post seems to take that response in a different direction. Seems a lot of people got more confused on the issue.

Their initial response also covered the notion that 'The Guild Wars 2 software package is meant to be delivered and used AS-IS...'

This implies that it covers the base controllers and inputs that wer eintended for the game. In otherwords traditional desktop hardware like, audio, mouse, and keyboard.

You have to disregard that part of their statement and broaden the implications fo the rest they say to make it sould like they are against any and all hardware.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

[...] 

For this part I wanted to introduce things that make your life easier in guild wars 2. [...]

But it's already eazy :/

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

Originally posted by Deivos

You sure about that one? The conversation following the initial post seems to take that response in a different direction. Seems a lot of people got more confused on the issue.

Their initial response also covered the notion that 'The Guild Wars 2 software package is meant to be delivered and used AS-IS...'

This implies that it covers the base controllers and inputs that wer eintended for the game. In otherwords traditional desktop hardware like, audio, mouse, and keyboard.

You have to disregard that part of their statement and broaden the implications fo the rest they say to make it sould like they are against any and all hardware.

Maybe you should do some Guild wars 2 forum research then ask me that again. I think people are too literal which is the exact reason why they cant say no. They aren't going to come out and say ok some guy made the combat system better with a virtual joystick program. They aren't going to come out and say its forbidden for the reasons I said above. They just drew the line at the dont support it.

And like I said they can't stop it anyway what are you gonna do lock keybindings? Plus no pc gaming company in they're right mind going to tell the public you can't use pc controllers thats suicide. So you guys can keep looking for the big no no its not coming. And keep on the topic at hand other useful information.

Originally posted by Kenaoshi

[...] 

For this part I wanted to introduce things that make your life easier in guild wars 2. [...]

But it's already eazy :/

Prefer fun over easy when a game feels smooth its all the more enjoyable

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Wind down a bit dude.

I asked for clarification on the matter as the link itself really did not clarify much of anything.

They have said they will not endorse or condemn any program, but they also said several things that go back and forth of how it affects the legality of any mods. The subject itself appears very nebulous and the advice they gave even at the last on that thread you linked was a warning to use at your own risk.

That very much implies a condition where they may just not have a solidly established outline of the kind of systems they are willing to let by versus what oversteps reasonable use. It could even deal with the issue of implementation, the system itself might be ok, but if it is implemented in a way that co-opts control from the game, they may see that as a threat to the game's fair play and a potential avenue to botting they have to absolve.

This isn't to say one way or another than anything used is right or wrong, just that the conditions surrounding it are still nebulous at best and one has to account for the potential.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

lol i'm not would just saying doesn't really matter. The program is a virtual pc controller thiers no way in hell they going to ban that. And Between I posted this hours ago on the A-net forum no removal no complaints. All they did was ask me to combine threads its safe to say they don't care. So I pretty much combined them the way I do here. They seem really picky about what you say and do there. So if they were going to raise hell they would of done it by now.
    Also I fixed the 2 annotation errors you guys dont let nothing pass huh lol...
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Won't touch that combat mod even with a 10 foot pole. It's obviously changing the way the game is played and therefore falls under the forbidden things list.

Oh, and don't assume big things like "Which would be devastating if they actually tried to stop that half the games population leave". For instance, nobody in my guild uses that thing or even felt the need to use it. You and you're couple of friends are not "half the games population" ;)

I usually like your posts, you really try to help the community for a change and it's a breath of fresh air here where negative trolls have almost taken over the forum, but I'm gonna disagree on the "combat mod" part - no hard feelings, I still like the rest of your work :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by botrytis

New Part 5

You can find the previous Parts here 4 3 2 1 The descriptions for them are in this post

SS

Well, it DOES give advantage to the player using it so I would think it crosses A.Net's line. The quote is:

"Our general statement is that anything that gives advantage is forbidden. There are many utilities that help the player without taking a hit on others, without, for instance, being a detriment to the other players in a match. TexMod is one example of a program that doesn't really give anyone an advantage over someone else. I've heard about certain programs that help disabled players, and those seem just fine, too. And of course there are others. We can't say "Sure, use this and that and that other thing" because that's tantamount to "approval," but we do recognize the distinction between advantage-giving programs and those that simply make it easier to play the game under specific circumstances."

I am not sure if you noticed, but the boss timers you are refering to seem to be a website without any direct connection to the game client itself: much like a wiki, so it isn't really forbidden unless wikis are.

It's cool and i think you have the wrong idea about the mod. It doesn't change anything single defining thing it does is hold down the right mouse click. Which you could do yourself for a short time before your hand cramps up. So if i tape down my right mouse button that means Im hacking? WHAT? See how ridiculous it all is. Try it hold down your mouse button and operate move around normally boom you got a true action mod lol....Thats all the mod does everything else is already present in the game. Actual in game toggles that A-net made.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

New Part 5

SS

I am not sure if you noticed, but the boss timers you are refering to seem to be a website without any direct connection to the game client itself: much like a wiki, so it isn't really forbidden unless wikis are.

The rule states, anything that gives advantage is forbidden. They go on to mention utilities (read programs) so I think you really need to take reading lessons.

If it does give an advantage of one player over another - it probably is forbidden.

If you didnt notice twothreefour its not supposed to connect to the game. It works off of users posting times but it needs users to be dilligent and truthful for that to work. Now cant that happen who knows with trolls around.  Again stay on topic they're isnt any no no's coming bans or anything else.Everything I do I research ahead of time. I already knew the stance A-net has on mods. But I see alot of you have zero idea what the said mod is. It's a virtual pc controller that consists on (1) button press. Pc controllers are NOT against the TOS period they already said that. 

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

New Part 5

SS

The rule states, anything that gives advantage is forbidden. They go on to mention utilities (read programs) so I think you really need to take reading lessons.

If it does give an advantage of one player over another - it probably is forbidden.

So, you are saying that wikis are forbidden, calculators are forbidden? Because those tools do indeed give advantage. 

In the original reponse to which the "advantage" reply addressed to,  it used the  "anything that touches the game client in any fashion" formulation. That formulation excludes tools which are not directly connected to the game client: like websites, calculators and wikis.

If you didnt notice twothreefour its not supposed to connect to the game. It works off of users posting times but it needs users to be dilligent and truthful for that to work. Now cant that happen who knows with trolls around.  Again stay on topic they're isnt any no no's coming bans or anything else.Everything I do I research ahead of time. I already knew the stance A-net has on mods. But I see alot of you have zero idea what the said mod is. It's a virtual pc controller that consists on (1) button press. Pc controllers are NOT against the TOS period they already said that. 

Yes, that's precisely my point: from the little I watched, the "boss timers"-tool didn't appear to be directly connected to the game client and therefore it should be okay. Maybe, I didn't express myself properly, sorry for the confusion:/.

Your aware advantage would mean in this case the other party didnt have access to the same skill. In this case the skill is actually already part of the game and can be humanly copied. Stop being literal babies and stay on topic. If you can't dont even post its not helping whining. Hell they aren't even doing it on the actual forums they actually helping the topic.
  • matcatmatcat Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I was under the impression that the combat mod was not allowed.  But if you look at this response from anet, that seems to not be the case.  From reddit
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    i think ur guides are pretty interesting mainly because reflect the state of the community and mmorpg overall. The word "play", "fun", "social experience", "gameplay" and "continuity"  were sacrificed in the name of the "farm", "fast" , "solo", "mods" and "endgame" pretty much automating all the process taking out the human element making a very poor experience. im not depreciating ur guides, they are good for the ppl that apreciate the crazy locust content eater till endgame, what im saying is maybe its time for the dudes of the older generations to move on and hope for a change of paradigm. 
    I think you missed something in part 3-4 it was all about personality. But some people didn't like that lol I guess you can't make everyone happy. I just try and stick to the truth and be honest let the chips fall where they do. Part 5 is basically about ease and info by now everyone should be 80 or working on it. So I figured maybe site info will help more then anything i can say now.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Originally posted by mistafist
    I was under the impression that the combat mod was not allowed.  But if you look at this response from anet, that seems to not be the case.  From reddit

All that link show's is that Anet are saying they have not banned anyone for using just combat mod, which, to clarify, means they have banned people that were using it, but those people were banned because they were using something else as well.

That does not mean they approve of people using it, or even allow people to use it.

Until Anet come out and say officially, without any hint of doubt at all, that the combat mod is approved, and people are allowed to use it, then use it at your own risk tbh.

Just because they have not banned people for using it yet, does not mean they wont ever.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    And another fake...
    No ones getting banned get over the topic lol. If your that concerned go to the official forums and join the convo there. I'll warn you though they're over it. So if you go whining there you will get your face flamed off.
This discussion has been closed.