Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first ga

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first game?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    DF wasn't a sandbox or a themepark. I'd call it more akin to a CS game with skill progression, since the game was mainly a PvP-fest and lite on the PvE.
  • MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

It's Darkfall 1, with a new skill system, redesigned map, better graphics, new GUI...

So whatever that means.

Originally posted by Murdus

It's Darkfall 1, with a new skill system, redesigned map, better graphics, new GUI...

So whatever that means.

I didn't know that. I'd like to know more about it. Is there more skills? Different skills? How're they different than before.

Originally posted by nate1980
    Originally posted by Murdus

So whatever that means.

I didn't know that. I'd like to know more about it. Is there more skills? Different skills? How're they different than before.

It's similar skills, I believe, they really haven't named specific skills or spells yet, but it works like this:

You can only have one specialization active at a time. Things like warrior, skirmisher (light warrior), elementalist, priest (support).

The grind will be shorter because in order to be viable for PvP you only have to max out one of those. But the advantage vets will get is they will be able to switch between specialization (not during combat, you must be in a city).

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I find it immensely irritating when people call sandbox games themeparks. Sure DF didnt have every feature under the sun yet in no way shape or form was it anything like a themepark.

2/10 for making me reply.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Don't care, I know I will enjoy playing it at launch... best part is I will only be paying subscription to buy game.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Do you even know what a themepark is? Holy hell.

You can't have an "open ended themepark" just like you can't have a "public instance".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    I'm not sure what the definition of a real deal sandbox would be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    In no way is this a sandbox, sorry. 
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    At release Darkfall was a sandbox with little sand.  So in essence it was a big pvp arena.  Which was awesome, but not what was promised in all the years of development.  Hopefully AV gets it right this time.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    You should put an option in the poll for "Don't give a shit."

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    You should put an option in the poll for "Don't give a shit."

Elaborate?

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

How exactly was DFO an open ended themepark?  What does that even mean?

Originally posted by Kyleran
    I'm not sure what the definition of a real deal sandbox would be.

I think the best way is to use past sandbox MMORPG's as an example.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    In no way is this a sandbox, sorry. 

So a game without zones or restrictions on what weapons you can use or what skills you can have or where you can go... isn't a sandbox?

Why exactly? Because it has a PvP focus?

I can play the game any way I want. My first character I just did quests and crafting, selling to people and finding the best mining spots and going out to fish.

After the US server went up I created and archer/ranger and would make camp fires and skin animals. I would use the "use flag" system to create my own quests and hand them out to noobies. The rewards were battle bags.

How is that not a sandbox?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

DF1 was an arena garne.  You might as well call it COD with orks.     I still don't have high hopes for UW, but they did make some changes that should make it more MMORPG, and hoping for sandbox style gameplay is just ridiculous.  

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by thinktank001

DF1 was an arena garne.  You might as well call it COD with orks.     I still don't have high hopes for UW, but they did make some changes that should make it more MMORPG, and hoping for sandbox style gameplay is just ridiculous.  

Hmm, funny I don't remember the game having two teams.  the game never had rounds.  And the game never decided who was the winner based on the game type that was being played... doesn't sound like CoD at all.

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first game?

I have no idea what game you were playing, but Darkfall never resembeled a themepark.

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    This thread is full of derp.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Darkfall was never a themepark in any way, shape or form.

It was sandbox-ish but more akin to a first person shooter deathmatch game with a persistent server than an "RPG" of a more traditional sence.

Darkfall 2.0 is probably going to be very much the same and that isnt a bad thing but with added sandbox-y elements...I think...

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    An open ended themepark would be something like daoc, possibly gw2

DF is surely a sandbox or at least a hybrid like swg & ac.

This threads just full of weird, along with the obligatory strained comparisons to the likes of counterstrike and call of duty from our hardcore pve "friends"
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I can play the game any way I want. My first character I just did quests and crafting, selling to people and finding the best mining spots and going out to fish.After the US server went up I created and archer/ranger and would make camp fires and skin animals. I would use the "use flag" system to create my own quests and hand them out to noobies. The rewards were battle bags. How is that not a sandbox?

You can do pretty much the same in LOTRO. Does it make LOTRO a sandbox too?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by DavisFlight

I can play the game any way I want. My first character I just did quests and crafting, selling to people and finding the best mining spots and going out to fish.

After the US server went up I created and archer/ranger and would make camp fires and skin animals. I would use the "use flag" system to create my own quests and hand them out to noobies. The rewards were battle bags.

How is that not a sandbox?

You can do pretty much the same in LOTRO. Does it make LOTRO a sandbox too?

The derp is reaching critical levels.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MarioLemieuxMarioLemieux Member UncommonPosts: 22

You need to be retarded to put Darkfall and Themepark in the same sentence. Darkfall was surely missing some sandbox elements, but it was a sandbox. CoD/CS with orks? Huge map, open world, free for all, full loot, no instances, player cities, siege system (generated by players), politics, alliances, gathering and crafting, PVE, housing, mounted combat, ships. If it`s not a sandbox I don`t know what it is. Something is sure, it`s nothing like EQ/WoW/RIft/GW etc, and it`s nothing like CS or CoD.

They sure need to add some fluff like custom housing, custom clothing, farming (like real farming), but even then it was a Sandbox. You had no quests to follow, you could do whatever you want and be whoever you want, be allied with whoever you want and kill anyone at anytime without scripted restriction... the consequences of your acts are determined by the players themselves... if you kill and loot an ally, or if you scam someone, you'll get kick and have a bad reputation. If you destroy walls of some clan's city, prepare to get your wall destroyed or to get sieged. If that's not sandboxy I don't know what it is.

If UO is a sandbox, there's no reason why Darkfall isn't one. Minus the fluff that I listed before (clothing, custom housing, farming), it's basicly a 2009 version of UO with fps combat system, player cities, siege system and actual naval fights. It's a pvp oriented sandbox that's for sure, and my guess is that it's what bug some of you guys. "OMG I got killed and looted, it's fkn stupid I should be able to farm without getting harassed and wihtout losing my stuff!!!"

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

I think you should probably stop using the words sandbox and themepark, it will only lead to great confusion.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")