Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix is preparing to relaunch Final Fantasy XIV nearly two years after the first iteration was disastrously panned by nearly MMO player on the planet. In a new EDITORIAL at MMORPG.com, we take a look at whether or not players should care. See if you agree and then add your voice to the discussion in the comments.

We all know that Square Enix's latest foray into the online realm is, shall we say, troubled. Final Fantasy 14's launch was about as successful as that of New Coke, with many accusing the legendary Japanese studio of releasing an unfinished product: and if we are being honest we'd have to agree.

Read more of Adam Tingle's editorial, Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Oh, Final fantasy.

Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

Things will be different this time, wont they? WONT THEY!?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• MethiosMethios Member Posts: 157
    So true about the ex GF
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

A lot of my friends played IX and were sure that XIV would be the 2nd coming.  Well most of them have either moved on or gone back to IX.  Personally I would have to agree with OP, it would be far better to take the code from this game massage it more and come out with a new game than it would be to attempt to continually fix this one.

The problem you face as a developer, you have already sullied your reputation, getting gamers to trust you again is going to be a real task.  To start with, give all the people who purchased XIV a free ride for a bit with the new game and discount the new one somewhat might help.  I think trying to resurrect the old one is a very bad idea.

Oh and the GF comment was right no....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I don't think their game was "unfinished" I do believe it didn't resonate with most people.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

They screwed up, admitted it, and have been spending 2 years reforging the game for re-launch.  I bet a lot of people fell on their swords as well for the dishonor of failure.  I'd say give it a chance.  I mean, its not like the company is fresh out of the gate with their first production ever.  The FF series has been around for AGES, and its always done very well.  People have their favorites, but the games as a whole have been very well produced.

Just close your eyes and pretend its your first time opening that present again, but just ignore the tape and ripped paper. 

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

This is not the same game,it's a total remake of the first game. I for one am looking forward to it and manage to get Legacy status.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=f4c54db8e776c513e8e95780421693aa28b24b57

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    ex-girlfriend I like this word lol
    Any way I respect how SE admitted about the wrongs and rebuilt this game

I miss my ex - girlfriend we was cool from long time
    Diffnetly will give our realtion a chance :)
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012

Got to hand it to them, Square Enix laid off everyone involved with the original and hired whole new team (even new cleaning ladies!) and made them re-do it from the start!

I'm pretty sure if this doesnt help, this dev team will be forced to do seppuku and new one hired to work on FF online 3!

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Oh, Final fantasy.

Youre like an Ex Girlfriend ive broken up with but i cant get over. I know i shouldnt want to be with you, but Alas, i am looking forward to it.

things will be same . 

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I will give FFXIV another chance. My ex-wife? she burned her's.

All die, so die well.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I can't tell if the article is completely tongue in cheek or if it just presents the point in a tongue in cheek manner.

And I really wish I cared more. This is now a game that is 2 years old, which means it has probably been in development somewhere in the region of 7 years. All that time and now we are just about to kick off for realsies? Doesn't Square Enix realise that with such an investment, when things finally pick up this will be yesterday's news? We have other games to look to, other things to moan about, and other games to disappoint us. You had your chance, and you preformed the latter perfectly

In any case, if it's the latter, I would say that I disagree.

That's like saying "Family Guy" had it's chance to gain huge audience participation and acclaim and because it didn't do this their first season, they should just move on.

Yet it's clear that there is an audience for "Family Guy" and that it did end up being a financial success.

As far as I'm concerend, all Square Enix needs to do is to make it right by the first people who bought the game. Meaning, not charge them for this new version but make the game what it should have been.

The Graphics/Art Design clearly stands up to anything being put out and if they do as they promised (which is the crux of the issue) then what Final Fantasy players can get is an mmo where they can park their butt into for years to come.

I can't subscribe to the idea that there has to be one chance and if you don't get that chance then you might as well throw in the towel. Too much work goes into these things and too much money as well.

I mean, if they lied and said "hey, we are disconinuing FF14 because it didn't do well" and then completely redid it and then waited another year and said "hey, we learned from our mistakes and here is FF15 [or whatever number] which is our *wink, wink* new mmo with all the features players wanted" would that be better?

I say no.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    The problem is, even if the FFXIV remake turns out to be good, the absolute best case scenario for SE is that they will get back a portion of the original player base that tried the game out 2 years ago.  Many people simply won't try it, no matter what.  Many will, but many others definitely won't.  It's a lose/lose for SE.  
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

Oh, Final fantasy.

This.

And I cant wait for the re-release, Its going to be legend.....wait for it......

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Sovrath

As far as I'm concerend, all Square Enix needs to do is to make it right by the first people who bought the game. Meaning, not charge them for this new version but make the game what it should have been.

The Graphics/Art Design clearly stands up to anything being put out and if they do as they promised (which is the crux of the issue) then what Final Fantasy players can get is an mmo where they can park their butt into for years to come.

I can't subscribe to the idea that there has to be one chance and if you don't get that chance then you might as well throw in the towel. Too much work goes into these things and too much money as well.

I mean, if they lied and said "hey, we are disconinuing FF14 because it didn't do well" and then completely redid it and then waited another year and said "hey, we learned from our mistakes and here is FF15 [or whatever number] which is our *wink, wink* new mmo with all the features players wanted" would that be better?

I say no.

Completely agree.

And to the next poster, about it being a lose/lose for SE, I don't see how, they did very well in initial sales, then pulled in some subs after that, they have also been pulling in subs for the past year as well. Add that to the very large number of us that will resub to check out KR... All they have to do is make it control and play like an MMO is suppose to (and not like a console game) which is one of the things they are doing and I will be back to resubbing on a long term baeses, as will ALOT of others. So, I don't see the lose/lose thing.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Oh, Final fantasy.

She's a hot ex that was terrible in bed and no personality.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Quicksand

Oh, Final fantasy.

This.

And I cant wait for the re-release, Its going to be legend.....wait for it......

.....still waitin for it   :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

If you think that "only this game is toxic, the next one will be okay" you really are looking through rose colored glasses.

Sorry, but the players don't let crap like this ride.  If they came out with their next product, everyone will be like "oh after FFXIV I won't go near a Square/Enix game again!"

Just look what happened to AoC and Funcom, people won't even consider TSW no matter how good of a game it is.  And AoC was NOWHERE near as bad as FFXIV.

Personally no amount of "rebirth" could interest me in this game, nor can I support a studio that admit their game is complete crap and then makes them pay a premium price to play it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Dakirn

If you think that "only this game is toxic, the next one will be okay" you really are looking through rose colored glasses.

Sorry, but the players don't let crap like this ride.  If they came out with their next product, everyone will be like "oh after FFXIV I won't go near a Square/Enix game again!"

Just look what happened to AoC and Funcom, people won't even consider TSW no matter how good of a game it is.  And AoC was NOWHERE near as bad as FFXIV.

Personally no amount of "rebirth" could interest me in this game, nor can I support a studio that admit their game is complete crap and then makes them pay a premium price to play it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then does't that say something about those players? That they allow their unbridaled emotions rule over everything they do?

It's true that some people have the "you get one chance" mentality but if everyone had that hard line of a stance for everything and everyone then WE WOULD ALL BE IN THE DOG HOUSE.

Seriously, there is not a one of us who hasn't screwed up at least once in our lives. Does that mean we don't get the chance to learn from our mistakes?

As far as your above statmement, if TSW is a good game then staying away from it "just because" Funcom has issues means that players won't experience a great game.

Since companies screw up we would find that we weren't taking part in any of their products because of that one (or more) screw up.

New Coke? Forget it, never touching any soda from that company again! No Rober Downey Jr. Movies either. And Clint Eastwood for that matter.

Windows ME or Vista? That's it, not touching another MS product ever again. Nothing but straight Linux from here on out. I'm sure all their distributions are amazing.

The issue shouldn't be "you screwed up you are on the blacklist forver". the issue should be "you screwed up and never, ever tried to make ammends or make things right.

... dary.

now suit up.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

....suits up  

I for one cant wait to play it.    Im sure the changes will make ff14 2.0 kinda like the other games on the market..I just hope its not too much like the other games. 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Thanks, but no thanks.

Then does't that say something about those players? That they allow their unbridaled emotions rule over everything they do?

It's true that some people have the "you get one chance" mentality but if everyone had that hard line of a stance for everything and everyone then WE WOULD ALL BE IN THE DOG HOUSE.

Seriously, there is not a one of us who hasn't screwed up at least once in our lives. Does that mean we don't get the chance to learn from our mistakes?

As far as your above statmement, if TSW is a good game then staying away from it "just because" Funcom has issues means that players won't experience a great game.

Since companies screw up we would find that we weren't taking part in any of their products because of that one (or more) screw up.

New Coke? Forget it, never touching any soda from that company again! No Rober Downey Jr. Movies either. And Clint Eastwood for that matter.

Windows ME or Vista? That's it, not touching another MS product ever again. Nothing but straight Linux from here on out. I'm sure all their distributions are amazing.

The issue shouldn't be "you screwed up you are on the blacklist forver". the issue should be "you screwed up and never, ever tried to make ammends or make things right.

... dary.

now suit up.

Square-Enix has messed up a lot more than just FFXIV in some peoples opinion. It makes since for those people not to want to waste money.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192

I think the OP completely missed that SE has completely redesigned the game, and even a brand new engine. It's not an expansion, or just a "rebuild" of Final Fantasy 14, it's a whole new game.

I also heard that people who have an FF14 account will get the new game for free as well.

Killing dragons is my shit

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Ripostethis

I think the OP completely missed that SE has completely redesigned the game, and even a brand new engine. It's not an expansion, or just a "rebuild" of Final Fantasy 14, it's a whole new game.

I also heard that people who have an FF14 account will get the new game for free as well.

You heard right mate, plus the OP has not done enough research or he would know that this is a total remake from top to bottom, it's not a fix.

• DraucantDraucant Member UncommonPosts: 34
    It's called , A Realm Reborn.....not Kingdom Reborn...
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Ever since Square merged with Enix, the games seem to have lost their magic.  I don't know if it's because of the changes, or if I just happened to grow out of the JRPG genre around the same time, but I definitely haven't been interested.

You make me like charity

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I got more use out of the mug than I did the game.