Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people still ride bicycles? [MMO analogy]

Why do you still ride your bike? They haven't upgraded the experience in ages, it's still the same old tired formula of two pedals and handlebars.

I'm amazed how these people continue to do the same thing year after year. Don't they know that if something's old, it's automatically bad? Only the most hardcore fanboys could stick with something for that long and I find that sad.

/end, I guess I made my point

P.S.: in case I didn't, the point is to answer the question: why I still play WoW

P.P.S.: chess would work, too

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by nsignific

Why do you still ride your bike? They haven't upgraded the experience in ages, it's still the same old tired formula of two pedals and handlebars.

I'm amazed how these people continue to do the same thing year after year. Don't they know that if something's old, it's automatically bad? Only the most hardcore fanboys could stick with something for that long and I find that sad.

P.S.: in case I didn't, the point is to answer the question: why I still play WoW

You are focused on the bicycle when you should be focused on what the bicycle is being used for.

To use your example, people replace their bikes because they can get one with 10 gears not 5, or because they changed job and need a car now or simply because the old bike is just that.

As to why you still play WOW (If that was your point because to be honest I don't have a clue what you are trying to proove with this post) who cares. If you enjoy it great, if not great. My question is....

what are you trying to get people to believe? Or are you trying to prove something to yourself (whatever that might be???)?

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    Bah! These modern "bikes" with the same size wheels on both ends suck! I'll take my 4' front wheel and 8" back wheel any day.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

You'd have a point if you were riding around on a bike lik this:

But you're not. You're riding on a new and innovative bike like this:

With all the modern conveniences of lights, comfortable saddles, gears, excellenct brakes, adjustable heights etc.

Same for chess. You're not playing in the dirt with 32 vague stones. You're playing on a modern industrially manufactured board with industrially manufactured pieces.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

Well my Santa Cruze bike with crabon frame would disagree with you on that point.

It's like saying shooters are the same since CW.

• KerryannKerryann Member Posts: 3

I ride cross-country mountain bikes, both for fun and competitively and occasionally for charity. Its not only great fun, its excellent (ladies) for your thighs, lol.

There are some awesome bikes out there and every ride is different.

Hence why i still play every world of HnH - lol. (Haven & Hearth).

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      To hell with bicycles...I got my little red steel tricycle and I ride it just fine.  sure I have ridden bikes..several even a couple cars.  In the end though I always come back to my tricycle because its fun and for the nostalgia

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    [mod edit]

Are you saying you think Chess has not evolved from it's inception at all or something else? Are you saying that Chess, cannot be superceeded in every way by something else? [mod edit]

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    In China 20 years ago, everyone used bikes. Today in China everyone has a car and very few (only the hardcore) use a bike.
    Just like the Western world, progress hit China and bike became obsolete.
    Bikes are still used as an healthy and eco friendly alternative to cars but they are a niche.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

bad analogy, riding a bike is healthy, riding motorbike or driving car is unhealthy and dangerous

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I had a bike when I was 10, but I outgrew it.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

You are focused on the bicycle when you should be focused on what the bicycle is being used for.

To use your example, people replace their bikes because they can get one with 10 gears not 5, or because they changed job and need a car now or simply because the old bike is just that.

As to why you still play WOW (If that was your point because to be honest I don't have a clue what you are trying to proove with this post) who cares. If you enjoy it great, if not great. My question is....

what are you trying to get people to believe? Or are you trying to prove something to yourself (whatever that might be???)?

I still ride biscycle because i enjoy it. I could care less what i am replacing it with because i still  get more joy out of riding bi cycle than driving a car.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

And they look just the same, right.  The problem is that MMO devs instead gave us this:

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by gobla.

Same for chess. You're not playing in the dirt with 32 vague stones. You're playing on a modern industrially manufactured board with industrially manufactured pieces.

Actually I played on old hand-made chess mostly.  They were bought by my father and they still work great.

----------------

@OP

Not really you play WoW now, but it is totally difftent bike now than it were in 2004. So analogy fail.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

When you grow up, you ride bikes for fun. You need a car, you have a bike because you enjoy it.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

To the OP:

I believe you still play WoW because you are invested in it. Not be cause it is the pinicle of MMORPG design. THere are severl posts that show that bikes have advanced leapes and bounds in the past 2 decades. From coaster brakes, those are the ones where you stop peddeling forward and push back and it locks up the rear wheel, to hand operated hydralic disc brakes. From no suspension to full suspension. MMOs has also evolved, even your beloved WoW.

Where I think you analogy falls down is to think that you, me , or anyone else would continue to pay $15 a month to keep riding one of those huge in the front tiny in the back wheeled bikes, or, a full suspension, 21 speed, fancy ass downhill mountain bike for the same $15 a month.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

I don't understand the analogy. My first bike had no speeds, coaster break, fenders and a steel frame. (24" wheels) and there really wasn't a lot of variations for that (ooh, some bikes had 10 gears and some were banana seat stingrays, yeah, I'm that old)

Compare that with the endless variations in quality and specialization of purpose that bicycles have today, you can see that while at the end of the day the basic task is pedaling from here to there the equipment of bicycling has really evolved.

And this equipment evolution didn't happen just for its own sake, it was done so that now people can run mountain bike events, ironman competitions, long distance road races, causal cycling, BMX racing, trick riding, etc.

So yeah, in your analology, MMO's are sort of like as if the bicycle manufacturer's decided to create the ultimate mountain bike, which more people than any other design favored, so they went on to provide continuing evolutions and variations of the mountain bike, but since the other forms were less popular almost totally discontinued making road racers or BMX bikes because they were too "niche" compared to the larger mountain bike market.

Not saying that the current design evolution of the modern theme park MMO isn't good, just saying there were and are other paths that could be followed that would deliver a game experience that I and others would prefer, but again, apparently we're too niche.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Looking at the current models in the bike shop you need a manual to ride a bike now.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I like these kinds of analogies. I like them because I think the OP is right, but looking at Loke's post, it is a good analogy too - and they're pretty opposite.

Here is my analogy along the same lines:

Why are the rules for baseball the same each season?

They never change what role the pitcher has or the short stop or first base or whatever, same ol' same ol' player roles, season after season.

They don't really change the rules enough to make it a game changer. If they do anything, they make the strike zone what, 2" or 3" bigger or smaller....c'mon. This is simply the same rehashed crap we've had for like 100 years now.

Think of how much better baseball would be if they gave us new field shapes and sizes. When are they going to add another position? Or base - 4 bases plus a home base would really make the game awesome. There are other games that have more folks on the field, so why can't I be a 4th baseman in baseball?

Or what about adding a third team? 3 faction baseball would be awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course no one in their right mind would suggest the above and think it would go anywhere. We do this all the time in mmo's though.

I'm also not saying it is a perfect analogy; I'm sure there would be a baseball argument that could counter mine.

I think about the changes to the WoW talent trees. Forums were lit up prior to Cata saying - there is a lot of useless button pushing for your talents. So they simplified it. Forums lit up, now it is too simple, and there is still crap in there. Ok, so on MoP they made a major overhaul; the effect was giving you 6 real choices rather than the illusion of choice. Just like players pointed out to us. Now the forums are a blaze with people missing the old system - saying this isn't WoW any more. They gave more choices, but it 'feels' like less - so we are unhappy.

I guess the point is this; there is a fine line between improving your game and changing your game. I feel for the developers, because the mmo community seems to take the opposition stance to whatever the industry does.

Give us change!

Wait change it back!

God help the developers.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by gobla.

Actually I played on old hand-made chess mostly.  They were bought by my father and they still work great.

Not claiming that old chess sets don't work. They certainly do.

Merely claiming that there's definitely a use and a desire for more modern chess sets.

A chess set like this is great and beautifull:

But so is a chess set like this:

Whilst the OP's conclusion may be valid, there's indeed absolutely nothing wrong with older games like WoW. His reasoning is simply false, just because something old works does not mean that any attempts at improvement or innovation are futile.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I don't use newfangled bicycles.  I have two legs and I know how to use them.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Biking experiences haven't change in years. Can't say the same for video games.

Do you still play SNES games? I don't.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

Uhm. What?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Your biking experience may be the same now as it was when you started riding but my Iverson, Ross, 80's Mongoose and whateverthefudgeisinthegaragenow have all been very different experiences in ride and features.

Hell, my Grentek GT with sporty new polyurethane wheels skateboard was cool at the time but it was a tiny nothing that rode like a rock compared to my Mark Lou Kryptonics (Gull Wings trucks, Rat Bones wheels, and internal bearings) and that board is a frikken table compared to my son's board now.  

And you've seen skates prior to inlines, right?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/rulechng.shtml

The changing rules of baseball.  Sorry just had to post it :)

I especially liked this two"The baserunner is no longer required to touch each base in order." and "The base runner was out if hit by a batted ball."

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673
    Originally posted by gobla

You'd have a point if you were riding around on a bike lik this:

But you're not. You're riding on a new and innovative bike like this:

With all the modern conveniences of lights, comfortable saddles, gears, excellenct brakes, adjustable heights etc.

Posts like this are what people constantly use to try and convince others (or maybe themselves) that somehow that brand new shiny is something different.  Chess is supposed to be different because the parts are made in a factory?!?!?  sorry buddy but it's still chess just like all those shiny bells and whistles don't make the other bike any less a bike than the old schwinns we used to ride.

Very much how every new and innovative mmorpg I have ever played simply reminded me of a different way to do something I've been doing for years and even before the mmorpg genre came about.

And I'm sorry to all the people who are trying to make it like bikes are so different now all that talk works great for bike manufacturers but doesn't do squat for the consumer.  If you guys can't ride a bike that was produced in the last year then that would rate as a personal problem and probably as a good reason to get off the internet and go get some excercise.  the way you approach the activity has not changed in the least bit and I think the op makes a good point in that mmorpgs are only cosmetically different than they have been since atleast EQ1.

Just because I like to ride a redline doesn't mean I should spend far too much free time bashing diamondback or people who like to ride them.......

That is what I think the op is getting at.