Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you feel that GW2 deserves the critical acclaim it's gotten from the press and gaming sites?

ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

GW2 has been out long enough for the fans to form a solid opinion on the game.  How do you feel about the critcal aclaim that the game has gotten from many reviews & game sites?  Were they right on the money, or hyped up dramatically?  Few examples below, but the list goes on.

• G4 - Best MMO Game of 2012
  • JeuxVideo - Guild Wars 2 isn't a simple sequel, this MMO is a revolution!
  • PC Gamer #207 -  groundbreaking world events and mind-blowing class design
  • VG247 UK - Ridiculous attention to details... shockingly good
  • Quarter to Three - This isn't just a great example of the genre and arguably the Second Coming of MMOs.
  • Gamer.nl  - After years of EverQuest clones the genre finally makes a great leap forward.

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Oh this will be good, if it doesn't go the way the avid fans want their will be hell to pay lol.

And to answer the OP, no i don't think  [mod edit] deserves the acclaim, the novelty soon wears off and you are left feeling, what is the point.

It has a few good things going for it but it's not the second coming like some over the top fans think.

Of course this is just my take on it but i found it boring as hell, [mod edit]

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Lack of middle ground... but truthfully what review really IS fair anyways? Most ar epretty much paid for, your not very likely to find a review that truthfully says how a game is. 

Now 'player' claims about it being good, I do feel these reactions were often a bit rushed. Its nothing really new though, it happens all the time.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Yes absolutely. Anet delivered in creating an immersive beautiful world with unique features, with which come unique complications. The game is far from perfect but it's hella fun. Gw2 will be huge in 6-12 months once everything is ironed out. They have an amazing productive team of devs.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    all these sites do this constantly with every new major release that lines their pockets. Some things in Guild wars 2 is great the crafting i found awesome and the node sharing , also the world exploration was done pretty well. WvW to myself was a major disappointment and still is , coming from mythic devs who were involved with DAOC and WAR , i would of thought it would of been done a lot better and finally made me completely lose interest in the game itself as i love pvp. That being said I think it breaks new ground on a little innovation and polish , but lacks in a lot of other departments as well so im torn and can only wait for it to mature before i even attempt to go back.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Seeing as reviewers are people and I am also a "people" with my own set of preferences and we happen to like and dislike the same things about the game, I'd say yes.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Since there is only the 2 absolute options, and no middle option, I went with yes.

No, I dont agree with it being some 2nd coming, etc. But I do think its the best MMO released this year, and deserves some of the praise it gets for the things it did very well. Just not all of it.

Anyway these types of buzzword review things are pretty much always worthless. You see the same garbage in movies.

"Most thrilling movie of the summer!" "Amazing action from start to end!" etc

And it could be a movie that consists of 2 hours of some guy staring at a wall and picking his nose.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Purpously left out middle ground.  Because everyone tends to pick the middle ground instead of actually making a choice, so that they can see the poll results.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by ragz45

GW2 has been out long enough for the fans to form a solid opinion on the game.  How do you feel about the critcal aclaim that the game has gotten from many reviews & game sites?  Were they right on the money, or hyped up dramatically?  Few examples below, but the list goes on.

• Quarter to Three - This isn't just a great example of the genre and arguably the Second Coming of MMOs.
    • Gamer.nl  - After years of EverQuest clones the genre finally makes a great leap forward.

You should add "And from gamers" 

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

Users 8.2

http://www.mmorpg.com/

Users 8.95

http://www.gamespot.com/guild-wars-2/user-reviews/

Users 9.0

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

• G4 - Best MMO Game of 2012 Yes
    • JeuxVideo - Guild Wars 2 isn't a simple sequel, this MMO is a revolution! It's not a simple sequel but I wouldn't call it a revolution
    • PC Gamer #207 -  groundbreaking world events and mind-blowing class design Not really..
    • VG247 UK - Ridiculous attention to details... shockingly good Former yes, latter good yes shockingly no, it doesn't deviate much from what i expected
    • Quarter to Three - This isn't just a great example of the genre and arguably the Second Coming of MMOs. Meh
    • Gamer.nl  - After years of EverQuest clones the genre finally makes a great leap forward. Yes

I have no desire to scour through countless reviews to see if you cherry picked a few with the most hyperbole but the answer seems to lie in between yes and no based on these ones alone.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Well, in my very own very personal opinion GW2 is extremely shallow and mediocre game. Most Western MMOs are better than GW2 imo, even the old ones.
  • HugolinHugolin Member UncommonPosts: 83
    i had fun, but when i reached max lvl i never played again, no point in playing
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Your examples are over the top, but I think it's a great game and well worth the 9.x rating it got from most reviewers.
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Considering that there was no decent MMO for years.. yes, the press is right.

But is it a great game for the years to come? No.. but that wasnt WoW, too. At least for me. It is more of the lack of any even decent MMO around.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Well, in my very own very personal opinion GW2 is extremely shallow and mediocre game. Most Western MMOs are better than GW2 imo, even the old ones.

I have to agree with this.

How are critics(also players) marking this game? I can see it getting these marks maybe if its was judged solely on the MMO aspect.

As for the RPG element, like Piiritus stated, it's a medicore game at best.

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Oh this will be good, if it doesn't go the way the avid fans want their will be hell to pay lol.

And to answer the OP, no i don't think Guild Bores 2 deserves the acclaim, the novelty soon wears off and you are left feeling, what is the point.

It has a few good things going for it but it's not the second coming like some over the top fans think.

Of course this is just my take on it but i found it boring as hell, hence the name Guild Bores 2.

3 days member, 30 posts, 50% of them (and i checked it) are anti GW2 related. Do you have an agenda or are you really so hurt about it?

Go check my history, I love GW2 yeah I know. You won't find me spending 50% of my time focussed on bashing certain game though. And there are plenty of other examples like you.

ALSO, not a single GW2 fan said it was the second coming. It has always been used in the contex you are using it, to bash the game and the people who just happen to like it.

To be honest yes the game was worth it. When the main argument against is is "what's the point" then let me ask you... what's the point of any game except for having fun? Do you really think your shinies in those other MMO's you might be playing is something real worth? Like your raid achievements in WoW mean something in your life? Come on... if that's all you achieve in life, lol, I guess for some it is.

My opinion is that I don't need a carrot on a stick to addict me to a game, I'm having fun with friends in GW2 and it allows me to do this without spending my whole life on it. Because frankly yes, there are more worthwile things to do in life than to play a damn MMO for 24/7. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Op's poll needs to be more than yes or no

i dont think theres anything in life that i would vote YES - reviews are spot on!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    In comparison to the reviews the likes of swtor and d3 got - YES
  • motmot84motmot84 Member Posts: 11

Agree on most like G4, PC Gamer, VG247 UK, and Gamer.nl so my answer is Yes.

It's not a revolution just more like an improved version of features from other MMO. It's not a 2nd coming either. You know the anime series ./Hack? I'll consider that the 2nd coming if they make that kind of MMO (their MMO played in the series not the actual series).

Don't bash me with my number of post(s). I'm more of a reader and laugh at stupid comments of trolls (trolls in general, no MMO game preference) here. I find it entertaining and makes my day. image

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Yes, GW2 deserves the high scores it got from both "professionals" but also from the gamers. For the first time since 8 years, an AAA MMORPG dares to break the WoW mold, and succeeds at it by delivering a high quality game with innovative mechanics and a ton of content. It also dares to break the "raid or die" end game, which makes it even more recommendable, and adds back a PvP style that was long gone in the genre, world vs world vs world (aka siege warfare in huge areas, with engines, supplies, reinforcements, etc...).

Originally posted by immodium

As for the RPG element, [...]it's a medicore game at best.

It's the players who participate in making the "RPG" part... remember, it means Role Playing Game. If you don't get good RPG out of a multiplayer game, start by blaming the people you play with.

Just saying...

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 is well made, it deserves its reviews.

That doesnt mean everyone should love it, but it does what it does well. If you dont happen to like what it does then tough luck but thats life.

Rift is the same, it also does what it does well. It doesnt really do it for me since I feel I already done the same things over and over but that does not mean Rift is a bad game either.

I cant say the same things about TOR because I cant really feel the Star wars feel in the game, particularly the combat. That game could have been a lot better made, even if the cutscenes and VOs are well made (but way to overused for my taste).

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Absolutely not, no.

It does a lot of interesting things - and it's certainly worth the money in terms of hours of entertainment, but that's about it.

I find it to be just about the most hollow and stale MMO I've ever played - and I've played dozens of them. Even Tabula Rasa kept me entertained for longer than GW2.

I actually forced myself to play it quite a bit, because I couldn't accept the level of hype was based on nothing. There HAD to be something "magical" about the game that I was missing. Sadly, I never found it - and I've had no desire to log in since I stopped playing after 2 weeks.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78

I thought Dynamic Events were fun at first but soon felt repetitive and lacked imagination.

Spvp was the biggest disappointment for me. It was the reason why I bought the game and when I finally played it, I found the map desgins really underwhelming and I didn't like the small squad sizes.

I'm not seeing how this game encourages more exploration than any other theme park mmo. The game is designed in such a way that a player is going to cover the whole map regardless.

Combat was decent but seemed like a lot of the weapon skills weren't that interesting or were redundant.

Maybe it was the lack of the trinity system, but the classes felt a little too homogenized for me.

Dungeons were good but nothing that made me feel like it was any better than the other triple a mmo.

I enjoyed WvWvW a lot though and could get lost in there for hours.

I would give it a 7 out of 10. It did seem to me, judging by how repetitive the DE's became at the end, that gaming websites were rushing out their reviews before they finished the game.  For me it was a good but not great game.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

For any reviewer it's pretty difficult to play the entire thing to lv80, so most of the professionals have a snap shot to make an opinion on. On that basis I'd say they were only ever going to give it a high score, some of them are over the top though. There seems to be an overally high score for the pricing model, which would mean any game after with a sub must be a negative? It's one of those short term gains but long term problems that those who think it's an advantage do so for self interest.

I find it funny how these things swing around though.  Remember when SWTOR came out and also had high reviews and many fanbois said they were biased because of how much advertising EA spent? Well seeings as GW2 is being advertised everywhere....:P

In all seriousness I think GW2 is quite capable of bowling you over short term, but a lot of it is smoke and mirriors to hide the fact a sizable chunk of the game is repetitive, and doesn't mask it well.  I can't help but think it's a tad like WAR in a sense, a game that had some newish ideas that other games will copy in the future, but ultimately is a bit of a disapointment to some.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I vote option 3--

Reviews tend to hyperbole, poor writing, and conflicts of interest,  As such, I've never paid them any attention.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Yes, GW2 deserves the high scores it got from both "professionals" but also from the gamers. For the first time since 8 years, an AAA MMORPG dares to break the WoW mold, and succeeds at it by delivering a high quality game with innovative mechanics and a ton of content. It also dares to break the "raid or die" end game, which makes it even more recommendable, and adds back a PvP style that was long gone in the genre, world vs world vs world (aka siege warfare in huge areas, with engines, supplies, reinforcements, etc...).

Originally posted by immodium

As for the RPG element, [...]it's a medicore game at best.

It's the players who participate in making the "RPG" part... remember, it means Role Playing Game. If you don't get good RPG out of a multiplayer game, start by blaming the people you play with.

Just saying...

Uhhhh No.......  RPG is about character development and advancement while playing a role.....