Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you still think GuildWars 2 was that "Revolutionary Game That Would Change The Genre"?

A simple question/poll with my opinion attached below but some people are sensitive i guess and interpret it as something else. =/ lol

Revolutionary game?? You decide.  [mod edit]

Since people keep saying i made up this "Revolutionary Game" idea here's what i mean. Before release of this game there were soo many articles, headlines, videos, fans stating it would be the game that changes or would revolutionize the genre of mmo's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GExA5IsWZpQ

"Dynamic Event's is a revolution of thought..."

"Make it the best MMO that's ever been released..."

Thanks to Threatlevel0 for those above.

Guild Wars 2 Is The Real MMO Revolution - Game Informer

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/60i7bo/guild-wars-2-gc-10--mmo-revolution-interview

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-reasons-guild-wars-2-revolutionary-mmorpg-muo-gaming/

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/9333/article/guild-wars-2-s-cultural-revolution/

http://guildwars2gameplay.com/tag/guild-wars-2-revolution/

Thanks to Yamota for those aswell.

*Warning Below Is My OPINION Why I Don't Think It's Revolutionary* Reader Discretion Is Advised!

Long time reader on this website, but a starter poster ;) To me many of Guildwars 2 "Revolutionary Gameplay" ideas are kinda sad and nothing new... just reused old ideas under a new shiny name.

Is it worth the 60$ simple answer for me yes because i do enjoy it as a quick pick up n play kinda game and it will always be there years later unless they pull the plug on servers of course lol. If it had a subscription attached to it, i Wouldn't even bother with it tbh. It's good for casual players to come on and get something done for an hour or two almost like a WoW Jr in that aspect.

Exploration is kinda dull and un-rewarding half the time, minus the beautiful views of course and random 1 or 2 chests you find along the way. All the waypoints, hearts, points of interest all marked on your map ruins it. Plus some areas you stumble into while exploring might require a party to kill monster/monsters which is annoying if your solo or no one is around to help.

Structured PvP is nice for an hour or two but then it gets boring. Can't make premade groups which is odd but understandable i guess. Again the accesiblilty is there for casuals to jump in and start playing but thats about it. I don't get an addiction for it like other mmo's PvP systems. *since i waited over an hour to eventually give up waiting for 9 more teams of five to join for it to start i forgot about tournaments being a vaible premade method for sPvP. If u can wait for others to play with you....that is. Maybe my server is dead idk.

WvW is zerg here zerg there everywhere a zerg, plus what server has the most people online at the time you decide to go in. Trying to get in solo or with friends is a test of patience and time with the fact that you can't join que as a group so each person gets there own que timer to get in. There is no Estimated Time to show how long till your eligible to zone in.

Rewards. Area rewards are horribly stupid, waste all that time trying to complete an area for mediocre items makes it pointless imo. Dungeons drops are nice in the sense no one ever fights about drops, it's all randomly distributed behind the curtains which is very nice. Probably the best part about the game is the distribution of loot. lol

Crafting is nice but lots of stupid clutter to make it look like a vast crafting system but in turn just makes it annoying half the time. Want to craft a pair of boots, wait u 1.need to smelt your copper 2. get some cloth (of course our virtual boots need to be comfy for our long travels, espicially with walking soo slowly everywhere lol) 3. make three parts : sole, padding, exterior of your boots 3. add insignia's for extra stats then viola your 1 pair of boots is finished..... again more stupidity then an actual complex crafting system.

Dungeons feel unorganized and messy, i hate them with a passion. Tera, Secret World, WoW dungeons feel nice and layed out perfectly from start to finish. [mod edit]
Again loot is beautifully handled, most of the time completly useless aswell but thats another story lol.

Story is interesting but the cutscenes ruin it. Boring cutscenes with wallpaper backgrounds ruins the immersion they try so hard to instill within the game. Maybe it's from seeing The Secret World and Swtor cutscenes but is it soo much to ask to see the actual in-game background instead of wallpaper????

Combat is sad aswell, nice and simplistic yes. Auto attack and cooldowns is all its about, with the new innovation of moving around!!?!?! to avoid AOE and attacks..... don't think i need to say more lol

Money Costs are again a major downfall. Traveling, Repairing, Gathering Tools, Salvage kits. Money sink i understand but in a game where the trading post nets you 1 copper profit for the majority of items is ridiculous and selling to merchants is better then selling on trading post =/ maybe i fail at GW2 economy lessons. Every coin i make is precious for saving up for armor, *cough cough cultural armor and other items i may need only to spend a nice chunk teleporting everywhere. Traveling to meet friends is gonna cost you, even to help someone out in your guild. To check an area with a dungeon to see if anyone is forming pickup groups. Coins Coins and more Coins gone, reminds of Aion and the rezzing fee to get your exp back. Want to cut back on costs don't worry you can spend a nice chunk of time running to said location aka walking.... unless you have a speed boost skill.. then you get actual running lol. Or for those that have a nice chunk of real life money why not spend it on gems to convert into in-game gold!!! All your money issues in-game gone with actual spending of your hard earned cash.  [mod edit]

Long story short. (lol if you watch South Park) I have been playing since beta and there was something in the back of my head bothering me about this game. I just can't get into it like other mmo's, there is no addiction for me wanting to log in on a daily basis.

"Sheep Will Always Look For A New Shepard. Fact Of Life" ~ My Head

"All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care."
~RavingRabbid

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I voted no. It's a good game but not enough to change the genre at all.  I'm not going to go into detail but I'm pretty neutral about this game. I agree with some of the things above in your post OP, but some things I haven't participated in so I can't really comment on it.  It's not a game that draws me back to it a lot to play unfortunately. I wish it are different.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Need an option for "Never believed it was going to be".....because I did my research and understood that GW2 was aiming at puting the "game" back into MMORPG by shiftingf the mmo culture from stats to gameplay.  Its just a shift, but one that has (IMO) a large effect on the attitude of traditional MMOer's (both good and bad because one game can't possibly please all fan bases).

• Blackstar347Blackstar347 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I think you are nitpicking a bit. Some might find it revolutionary others will not. Why should we care if some people out there don't find it a revolutionary game? For me I didn't come into the game with expectations like that and was pleasantly surprised. It was easily worth my $60 and I look forward to playing it in the future which is what the OP agreed to do as well. To me that's all that matters.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    I voted no. It's a good game but not enough to change the genre at all.  I'm not going to go into detail but I'm pretty neutral about this game. I agree with some of the things above in your post OP, but some things I haven't participated in so I can't really comment on it.  It's not a game that draws me back to it a lot to play unfortunately. I wish it are different.

My thoughts exactly

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by crosslee

Structured PvP is nice for an hour or two but then it gets boring. Can't make premade groups which is odd but understandable i guess. Again the accesiblilty is there for casuals to jump in and start playing but thats about it. I don't get an addiction for it like other mmo's PvP systems.

O rly?!?! Are you sure you even played a single hour? 

Seriosuly, I don't understand people who take time to make a post about a game, they know nothing about...

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

As for my opinion of the game, it is much worse than yours.  I believe their Dynamic Event system is terribly flawed.  The sPvP is simply a lobby based PvP game which they hoped would catch on as an Esport.  WvW is just a playground where they stick all the other PvP'ers.  Immersive?  It certianly isn't if you want to PvP at all.   Honestly, I find no immersion into it at all, anywhere.  As my friend said, "For some reason it just feels totally generic."  

I'm still playing casually by the way, with one friend.   I have a friends list tho of about 18 people, and around that followers, yet I only see one or two even on anymore.   In Frostgorge Sound (the only high level zone I can stand) I rarely see anything in map chat other than players asking where Ori Nodes are or if the dragon is up.  And unless the dragon is up I'm running around seeing more bots than players in the zone, and trust me that is not an exaggeration, sadly. 

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

To make a long story short :

No

I'm still playing now and then, but already looking for something else !

Too easy.....so no need for a community......so no need to play for months and years on end.  Thank GOD I'm only playing one class so ill have some re-playabality.  If I played every class to level 20 like many do, I would be done for good by now !!!

• crossleecrosslee Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by vort3x

Structured PvP is nice for an hour or two but then it gets boring. Can't make premade groups which is odd but understandable i guess. Again the accesiblilty is there for casuals to jump in and start playing but thats about it. I don't get an addiction for it like other mmo's PvP systems.

Seriosuly, I don't understand people who take time to make a post about a game, they know nothing about...

i guess you count those "tournaments" ? for premades which again u have to wait for what 9 more teams of five to join before it starts!?!? lol but yea i have no idea what i'm talking about soo... u should of stopped reading and moved along oh wait?? look above ;)

"All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care."
    ~RavingRabbid

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

No. It did introduce a few 'new' days how to make the same old same old look different, but it did nothing to change the formula. The biggest 'changer' was heart quests and for me, the way it was 'executed' was a bit poor and it makes the tasks far more tedious then normal quests usually are (forcing you to grind MORE if you dislike particular elements of a heart).

In some ways you can say 'dynamic' (which are actually quite static) events being emphasized so much could be considered emphasizing change in games though honestly its nothing really that new, it just takes the large scale events and makes them into smaller and less 'zone changing' details.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135
    It seemed to me this game took some things from other games and put their own spin on it. I was suckered into paying $60 so I could do the headstart and all that jazz and I wasted my money. I played the game for that early weekend and havent been back since.
  • vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by vort3x

i guess you count those "tournaments" ? for premades which again u have to wait for what 9 more teams of five to join before it starts!?!? lol but yea i have no idea what i'm talking about soo... u should of stopped reading and moved along oh wait?? look above ;)

Yes, yet again you have no idea what you're talking about, because once you sign into tournaments you get into the game in a minute...

Oh well...

• crossleecrosslee Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

**Heads up to Aerowyn which will most likely post since it's a Guildwars 2 topic but I've seen your posts about GW2 since before release and we all know u favor the game, as the kids call it your a "fanboy" or w.e lol all your posts are biased and favor the game. So no disrespect to you or other "fanboys" i didn't mean to attack your precious baby (aka GW2) just my opinions about the game.

I think Aerowyn is pretty rational about the game honestly.  Just to throw that out there.  No reason to preface your OP calling another poster out...

"I think Aerowyn is pretty rational about the game honestly. " where we agree to disagree. lol

"No reason to preface your OP calling another poster out..." very true editing soon as im finished with this.

~RavingRabbid

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I sware OP is not me!
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

Long time reader on this website, but a starter poster ;) To me many of Guildwars 2 "Revolutionary Gameplay" ideas are kinda sad and nothing new... just reused old ideas under a new shiny name.

Is it worth the 60$ simple answer for me yes because i do enjoy it as a quick pick up n play kinda game and it will always be there years later unless they pull the plug on servers of course lol. If it had a subscription attached to it, i Wouldn't even bother with it tbh. It's good for casual players to come on and get something done for an hour or two almost like a WoW Jr in that aspect.  

Exploration is kinda dull and un-rewarding half the time, minus the beautiful views of course and random 1 or 2 chests you find along the way. All the waypoints, hearts, points of interest all marked on your map ruins it. Plus some areas you stumble into while exploring might require a party to kill monster/monsters which is annoying if your solo or no one is around to help.

WvW is zerg here zerg there everywhere a zerg, plus what server has the most people online at the time you decide to go in. Trying to get in solo or with friends is a test of patience and time with the fact that you can't join que as a group so each person gets there own que timer to get in. There is no Estimated Time to show how long till your eligible to zone in.

Rewards. Area rewards are horribly stupid, waste all that time trying to complete an area for mediocre items makes it pointless imo. Dungeons drops are nice in the sense no one ever fights about drops, it's all randomly distributed behind the curtains which is very nice. Probably the best part about the game is the distribution of loot. lol

Crafting is nice but lots of stupid clutter to make it look like a vast crafting system but in turn just makes it annoying half the time. Want to craft a pair of boots, wait u 1.need to smelt your copper 2. get some cloth (of course our virtual boots need to be comfy for our long travels, espicially with walking soo slowly everywhere lol) 3. make three parts : sole, padding, exterior of your boots 3. add insignia's for extra stats then viola your 1 pair of boots is finished..... again more stupidity then an actual complex crafting system.

Dungeons feel unorganized and messy, i hate them with a passion. Tera, Secret World, WoW dungeons feel nice and layed out perfectly from start to finish. On here tho i want to kill myself while im doing a dungeon start to finish, hypothetically of course. (no offense toward suicidal people)
    Again loot is beautifully handled, most of the time completly useless aswell but thats another story lol.

Story is interesting but the cutscenes ruin it. Boring cutscenes with wallpaper backgrounds ruins the immersion they try so hard to instill within the game. Maybe it's from seeing The Secret World and Swtor cutscenes but is it soo much to ask to see the actual in-game background instead of wallpaper????

Combat is sad aswell, nice and simplistic yes. Auto attack and cooldowns is all its about, with the new innovation of moving around!!?!?! to avoid AOE and attacks..... don't think i need to say more lol

Money Costs are again a major downfall. Traveling, Repairing, Gathering Tools, Salvage kits. Money sink i understand but in a game where the trading post nets you 1 copper profit for the majority of items is ridiculous and selling to merchants is better then selling on trading post =/ maybe i fail at GW2 economy lessons. Every coin i make is precious for saving up for armor, *cough cough cultural armor and other items i may need only to spend a nice chunk teleporting everywhere. Traveling to meet friends is gonna cost you, even to help someone out in your guild. To check an area with a dungeon to see if anyone is forming pickup groups. Coins Coins and more Coins gone, reminds of Aion and the rezzing fee to get your exp back. Want to cut back on costs don't worry you can spend a nice chunk of time running to said location aka walking.... unless you have a speed boost skill.. then you get actual running lol. Or for those that have a nice chunk of real life money why not spend it on gems to convert into in-game gold!!! All your money issues in-game gone with actual spending of your hard earned cash. Legalized gold selling brought to you by the game that is against gold selling.lol (Protect our accounts from China men, fine but if your buying gold from said china farmers you should have that risk of being hacked etc. instead of not offering it at all they realize that, hey people do actually spend real money for in-game gold, lets benifit from it and make our pockets some extra cash) Hypocrits at the end of the day.

Long story short. (lol if you watch South Park) I have been playing since beta and there was something in the back of my head bothering me about this game. I just can't get into it like other mmo's, there is no addiction for me wanting to log in on a daily basis. Revolutionary game?? not by a loong shot just another niche game for those WoW stragglers looking for something new or those GW1 cultists waiting for thier long over due next coming of the ages aka GW2. It went with what all the new mmo's do, take a bit of this from here and there and put it all together and bam! "Revolutionary game that will change the genre" Amazing what ads do to mindless sheep, propaganda FTW. Literally sad truth of the world.

**Heads up to Aerowyn which will most likely post since it's a Guildwars 2 topic but I've seen your posts about GW2 since before release and we all know u favor the game, as the kids call it your a "fanboy" or w.e lol all your posts are biased and favor the game. So no disrespect to you or other "fanboys" i didn't mean to attack your precious baby (aka GW2) just my opinions about the game.

Exploration: Please dont talk as if you are some kind of explorer, you do exploration because of the act of it, not because of rewards. You can hide everything from you on the map. Even group events in this game can be soloed, theres no such thing as NEEDING other people. Exept for meta events and big dragons.

Structured pvp: You can make premades in the tournament mode. HAve you really played the game?

WvW: Only trash and low level players go with the zerg. People that have played WvW for more than 30 minutes understand than going in small groups taking thins is more effective and contributes more.

Rewards: Again have you played the game? for completing cursed shore i got around 5g worh of items and it wasnt that hard.

Crafting: this is subjective.

Dungeons: You want to kill yourself because you are BAD at dungeons simple fact. There are people who dont even die in explorable mode in arah. I understand this though, some people are so used to WoW trinity setups that they cant grasp how a new way of playing works. Kinda sad really

Story: Subjective too. I dont really care about this.

Combat: said like someone who got to lvl 30 and quit. Well what do i expect, he didnt even know you could make premades.

The system is far more complex in my opinion that typical WoW games. Most skills do more than 1 thing and having a limited skill bar makes pre planing far more important.

Money costs: At this point i know you have only heard what people say and not played the game yourself.  This kind of crap was only said in the first days of the game. By now people have learned how to get money really easily and most can do worst case scenario 80S an hour at lvl 80. Oh yeah and you also fail as GW2 economy as you say. Playing the market here is EXTREMELY easy.

Some people say GW2 is for the masses others say its a niche. People should get to a consensus already.

What GW2 does that no other themepark MMO has done since WoW. Is add A LOT of features from different games together, give them twists and add a few of their own. The rest of MMOs since WoW have been wow clones with a gimmick

• tristanryantristanryan Member Posts: 233

Ultimately i found it dissapointing. Without making a thesis of a post, there are positives to GW2. It has great graphics. It runs well. Sadly under all the makeup and perfume i found it to be a rather drab and boring game. Incredibly unbalanced PvP, exploiting and map hacking every other game. Its not like anyone can deny what im saying. The information is plastered all over the internet.

It seems you guys are enjoying it and thats great. Im glad there is no monthly payment and i will try it again from time to time. I just dont find the balance in PvP, or even PvE to be competitive, or addicting in any fashion. I havent played in a few weeks so im sure things could have changed somewhat.

Edit; I just thought about it i just also add;

I didnt "quit" GW2 for another MMO. I just happen to be in limbo of not messing with MMOs right now. If anyone is in the same situation a few games im messing with you *might* enjoy are XCOM (the new one), War of the Roses, DayZ and sitting here getting ready to purchase WarZ alpha or Planetside 2 beta. Getting ready to purchase. Any old timers remember testing this stuff for free? heh.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    /shrug
  • SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I've skipped everything about PvE and all that crap because I don't really care about them. I don't know where you get the idea that GW2 was coming as a "Revolutionnay game that would change the genre" aside from the hype on the internet, but that was obviously wrong and it ain't our fault if you fall for it. The only "revolution" (if we can even call it that way...) that the game was bringing IMO was the sPvP without the gear grind. This was for me a major selling factor. Maybe the holy trinity gone was another one but I'm not entirely sure.

sPvP : I don't know where you got the idea that you can't make premade groups, but it's just plain wrong. You know what sPvP tournaments are?? They are meant for premades. The sPvP game browser is there for a more casual PvP style, not for premades.

WvW : I don't know what you expected from this. You know how real war works?? This is exactly the same thing and what its supossed to be, a big war with zergs everywhere. But I agree with you that playing WvW with friends can be a pain in the a**. Just give it some time, it might become better after a while, when more people will start getting bored of the game and only the dedicated fans/players will stick around.

Combat : I don't really know what to say here. Sure the combat might not be the best in the industry, but IMO its a lot better than most MMO's out there. Especially with the holy trinity gone. The combos also add another layer of depth to the combat that most people don't even use or figured out yet. There is a game that is a lot more popular than GW2 with a combat system wayyyy much crappier, even tho its not an MMO.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Actually yes, it did exactly what I thought it would. The proof is in the numerous and constant threads. 

"I can't go back to a typical quest hub MMO again" - Some will try and claim hearts are quest hubs but these people haven't played the game. The hearts dissapear in later levels. It's all about the DE's and instant adventure from then on. While the system itself may not be entirely revolutionary it has changed many players viewpoint. Now many are expecting and clamoring for adventure rather than the continued tedious task systems that have become staples of MMO's. GW2 is "living" proof that it can be done differently. 

"I can't go back to the old combat systems" - Again, while this isn't a completely new concept in MMO's GW2 was the first to do it in such a way that it became not only acceptable in an MMO but popular. DCUO gave us a system where you couldn't really dodge and gave you the illusion of active combat, at the end of the day though it was still run of the mill tab targeting. TERA tried to deliver action based combat as well and it failed pretty bad at it. Between the clunky AI and the counter productive rooting while using many abilities combined with an entirely traditional MMO beyond combat not only was it not well received but it has become heavily critisized. GW2 has done a fairly impossible task by taking an action oriented MMO combat system mainstream. 

"Why can't all MMO's be Buy to Play?" - Delivering a AAA game with a great deal of content with a great deal of polish is a hard thing to find in a newly released MMO. Delivering one that doesn't require a monthly fee and one that doesn't "Force" players to use the item shop since 1) it only has fluff and services and 2) can be used by trading in game gold for gems hasn't been done period before now. 

It may not have changed the genre yet but it is one of the most discussed MMO's currently because of those 3 main points above. It has changed the mindset of a great number of players out there and yes, even including many that do not even play. 

Like it, dislike it, love it, hate it, in the end it doesn't matter. The boat has been rocked and the MMO gaming community has taken notice. Sure you have a few trolls on these forums that are in denial but no matter where you turn by far the most talked about MMO right now is GW2 and for good reason. 

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I still find it a (relatively) giant step in the right direction for themepark mmo's and has given current and future mmo developers something to think about, not sure i'd use the word revolutionary though.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Does a game have to be revolutionary to be worth anything?

But to answer the topic, "I never believed it would be a revolution, but that doesn't mean I don't think it's a good game in its own right".

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Its never been called revolutionary, but its sure one of the games that helps the whole genre evolve to a different level.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• WolfynsongWolfynsong Member Posts: 237

I think GW2 set a precident at the least.  It has let game companies know that MMO gamers are willing to invest into a game that is ambitious and different.

In that sense, I believe it has changed the genre a bit already.

On the other hand, I personally just don't find GW2 to be all that exciting to play.  I respect what it attempted to be, but it holds no charm for me.  I played it for the first week after launch, and that was about it.  Despite the fact that I can see and know that GW2 has done a good number of things better than any other MMO I've ever seen (including the "boring" combat), I simply don't feel compelled to return to it.  It lacks something, though I'm honestly not sure what that something is.

Oh, and as an aside, what's wrong with reading?  I really don't understand the seeming fixation that MMOs these days have with voice acting.  Especially when they give my character a voice.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by SirFubar                                                                                                                                                                        I don't know where you get the idea that GW2 was coming as a "Revolutionnay game that would change the genre" aside from the hype on the internet, but that was obviously wrong and it ain't our fault if you fall for it. The only "revolution" (if we can even call it that way...) that the game was bringing IMO was the sPvP without the gear grind. This was for me a major selling factor. Maybe the holy trinity gone was another one but I'm not entirely sure.
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Its never been called revolutionary, but its sure one of the games that helps the whole genre evolve to a different level.

Oh, I don't know, maybe...this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GExA5IsWZpQ

"Dynamic Event's is a revolution of thought..."

"Make it the best MMO that's ever been released..."

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    I could definitely see it becoming that game in the future, when it gets the launch kinks worked out and more content under its belt.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Not YET.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?