Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Online tribute/memorial?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

AV mention something about "Darkfall Online tribute/memorial"

any more word on this?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

any more word on this?

They are going to keep the database that contains the player avatar information in storage. It means they aren't going to delete the data and reuse the storage media.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Grunty

any more word on this?

They are going to keep the database that contains the player avatar information in storage. It means they aren't going to delete the data and reuse the storage media.

I still dont quite understand how that would be useful, if characters arent coming over to DF2 from DF1 and that DF1 is shuting down...

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    they should make a wall someplace in game where all the names of the old DF players are engraved......or a road where every coble stone has a name.....
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Grunty

any more word on this?

I still dont quite understand how that would be useful, if characters arent coming over to DF2 from DF1 and that DF1 is shuting down...

Well, for one thing, they get to write off the depreciation ot the tangible assets of the media and the tangible and intangible assets of the data over several years than if they were to just throw it away.

And they could accelerate the depreciation by storing the media by the men's urinal or decelerate it by storing it in an off-site climate controlled EMI, RFI and natural disaster resistant storage faciity.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Seem strange that there hasn't been anything like this detailed by AV.  Some type of way to remember your DF1 character would be nice.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    they should make a wall someplace in game where all the names of the old DF players are engraved......or a road where every coble stone has a name.....

I would like a statue or something in DF2 of my DF1 character.

:)

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

I would like a statue or something in DF2 of my DF1 character.

:)

Yeah, lol. I was dreaming of the same. But it could get a little messy if everyone that ever subbed to DF got a nice pretty statue in UW.

Realistically though, I love both of Jakdstripper's ideas. Either would easily work and would be cool as hell. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

Good tribute of Darkfall by Umberto. Worth watching if you're a past, present, or future member of the Darkfall community. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfOefOO3Pc&hd=1

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Well, IIRC from reading some of the lore for UW there was that whole massive battle and explosion which wiped out all life for miles (believe thats why dwarves are non-existant now),

If that's correct, and the siteof that explosion exists in game, it would be a pretty awesome idea to have some sort of massive graveyard with everyones names on the headstones, maybe even something a little special for characters who really had an impact on the game (like a fancier headstone, or some sort of masoleum dedicated to all of those players). Though if a graveyard with that many people is too big a project then yeah some sort of memorial at or near the site would work too, and again they could do something that stands out a bit more for a select few.

Or they could do some sort of memorial island, a new place in the game to go along with the other 4 main islands. It could feature this sort of stuff and maybe some sort of special content. A boss, or dungeon. How about a dungeon filled with the spirits of the dwarves that were wiped out.

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172

Well, if they are keeping the old databases, then at a later time when this crap matters, and they have time for fluff, they can think of something.

Oh god, we're getting super mega fun hulks with the DF1 logo, that's what it's going to be, isnt it?