Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Badaboomnuances than the thief.

This game really is a casual gamers dream come true.

/thread

that about sums it up, for someone who looks to log in for a few hours (2-3) on a weekend, amazing game.

for someone used to logging in for 3-5 hrs 5-6 nights a week (no, I'm not a diehard raider anymore, but with both us us working, my wife and I find time together to game easier than juggling 2 schedules and a sitter for 3 kids so we game together...plus I'm a chronic insomniac) it's mindnumbingly same old.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

Leveling was boring. PvP is very shallow. No PvE Endgame, except grinding.

Worth the $60... I guess. There are better MMO's out there though.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by blackthornn

This game really is a casual gamers dream come true.

/thread

that about sums it up, for someone who looks to log in for a few hours (2-3) on a weekend, amazing game.

for someone used to logging in for 3-5 hrs 5-6 nights a week (no, I'm not a diehard raider anymore, but with both us us working, my wife and I find time together to game easier than juggling 2 schedules and a sitter for 3 kids so we game together...plus I'm a chronic insomniac) it's mindnumbingly same old.

I have 480 hours total on all my characters now, I log a couple of hours almost every day at least, and I still can't see the end of the game.

Never generalize, ever :)

Originally posted by Dulu

PvP is very shallow.

Yup, I'm sure the regular "grind to be better than noobs thanks to gear" is better for some people. At least when you have 5000 resilience, you can faceroll freshly leveled characters and feel like you win - something you can't do in GW2.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

please tell ...which ones

• zononzonon Member UncommonPosts: 28

I did not find GW2 fun at all, it just did not have the right feeling.

One of the few games I really had good hopes for and was disappointed about.

Now I am looking forward to EQ Next, SOE has promised us a whole new mmo experience, looking at their track record it sounds to be true to.

see you online, somewhere :)

/Z

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812

I love it. One of the best games I have played in years - maybe of all time.

It makes me really, really sad that the playerbase dropped like a rock. The game did not deserve that.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

Definately okay for me, got to about two and a half weeks and found it very repetitive.  My main is lv77 in Orr and just got tired of the repeated events and various other things.

For me it simply doesn't grab you enough, it's not really engaging on a personal level.  It has pletny to offer, yet lacks some sort of connection or pride with advancing your character.  Someone else said it's like a third person action game with lite rpg elements and I think that fits my opinion as well. 

A game like that only gets played for a while before you move onto the next IMO..

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• zononzonon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Aeander

It makes me really, really sad that the playerbase dropped like a rock. The game did not deserve that.

Dropped like a rock, seems that there was more then me who got bored to fast.

Sadly it is like this with most new mmos :(

/Z

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

that's news to me.. still getting ques for WvW every night.. still getting overflows in lions arch.. still tons of sPVP pickup servers going all the time, still see enough people in all the zones to complete the events.. now obviously population isn't as jam packed as launch but still seems very very healthy.. server loads still showing half the servers full.. not sure how that's dropping like a rock

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

that's news to me.. still getting ques for WvW every night.. still getting overflows in lions arch.. still tons of sPVP pickup servers going all the time, still see enough people in all the zones to complete the events.. now obviously population isn't as jam packed as launch but still seems very very healthy.. server loads still showing half the servers full.. not sure how that's dropping like a rock

Lemme guess... another one who trusts xfire numbers maybe?

Same here, on Gandara, we have queues for WvW every night, and all zones including newbie ones are packed with players - and I don't mean bots, I mean players, I know to make the difference. I'm leveling several alts of different levels, and I can't run 5 minutes without encountering other players.

Definitely the sign of a dying game... isn't it?

PS: I've seen people predicting WoW's doom for almost 8 years now, and I've seen some real MMORPG deaths (SWG and AC2 notably, and also the downfall to close to death status of Conan and WAR) to know when I see one - GW2 is not even remotely close to having it's population "drop like a rock". Hell, even SW:TOR is not remotely close to "dying", even if it didn't have the success the developers expected.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

Like others have said in previous posts, it's not nearly as low playerbase as some people believe (or want to believe).  Xfire is only a very very small portion of gamers playing the game, but I havn't been on Xfire since I was a wee chap playing Jedi Academy so I wouldn't know those numbers.

It must be mentioned though that a reason the playerbase has dropped could be due to the end of the year game launches.  I stopped playing for more than a week because I was playing Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 like a fiend.  Not to mention school stuff hitting me.  And these upcoming months are probably going to hit the playerbase as well with Halo 4, CoD, and other bigtime titles pulling peoples attention away.  I know I'll be playing Halo 4 for a long while when it's released.  Gonna give GW2 a break most likely.

Part of the reason why I believe GW2 will be extremely successful goes back to the no sub fee's argument.  We don't have to go through the pain of unsubscribing and subscribing everytime we feel like taking a break from it.  Making it more accessible to hop on and hop off.

This also makes it tougher to gauge just how many people are still playing the game.  There is no sub accounts to count, and people are more comfortable giving the game a break because they aren't obligated to play because a sub fee is eating at their bank accounts.

But we'll have to see by Q1 of the upcoming year whether or not GW2 is succeeding or failing overall, because that's when the test of time will start to come down on it.  The fresh new games are past and players are picking and choosing which one's they want to devote their free time into.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812

You seem to have the impression that I was judging the community by Xfire. I was not. I do not care for Xfire, nor do I pay it any mind.

I'm judging it based on personal experience. I personally watched as my friends and guild steadily put the game down within the first month (many within the first week or two). I watched my Henge of Denravi server go from one of (if not the) top WvW servers to horribly outmatched by both JQ and Stormbluff. I watched dungeon groups become less common, a larger and larger percentage of players I ran into in the world becoming bots, and sPvP hot joins becoming a less and less enjoyable experience as the matchmaker continuously puts me in the same small game that I left the last 5 times for being Raid on the Capricorn.

Guild Wars 2 isn't dying yet, nor do I ever hope it will, because I love the game dearly, but it isn't nearly as large as it was a month ago.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

PvP is very shallow.

Yup, I'm sure the regular "grind to be better than noobs thanks to gear" is better for some people. At least when you have 5000 resilience, you can faceroll freshly leveled characters and feel like you win - something you can't do in GW2.

[mod edit]

The PvP is shallow because there's almost no consequence to loss or victory, and there is no progression, not even with titles or points.

A game that pretends to be DAoC is going to get judged by DAoC's standards, and GW2 falls way WAY short.

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Eve, Vanguard, Darkfall.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Its ok .. But if it werent F2P it would be Uninstalled already
  • Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

Eve, Vanguard, Darkfall.

yeah that's why 2 of those 3 have such /sarcasm, "thriving" communities.

I

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

PvP is very shallow.

[mod edit]

The PvP is shallow because there's almost no consequence to loss or victory, and there is no progression, not even with titles or points.

A game that pretends to be DAoC is going to get judged by DAoC's standards, and GW2 falls way WAY short.

Interesting.

GW2 has 2 forms of PvP (DAoC only had one). If you are talking about sPvP, then you are right, there arne't really any consequences (besides losing a tournament reward). However, that's already more than any other game w/ instance based PvP has. No game w/ instanced PvP has any real consequences for losing. They're all very temporary.

However, the 2nd type of PvP (WvW) has just as many consequences as DAoC had, and then some. You lose territory, you lose points, you lose money, you lose upgrades, you lose buffs, you lose morale, etc. etc. etc. The biggest difference between WvW and what DAoC had is that in GW2 you aren't stuck fighting the same opponents the whole time. This has both benefits and downsides, but neither of which have to do w/ consequence.

The only other difference would be w/ the Mordred server DAoC had. Which, while fun for a lot of people, didn't actually do that well. Mythic themselves have talked about how Mordred was a bit of a disaster, as the FFA PvP mechanics just didn't lead to anything good longterm.

• EspionEspion Member UncommonPosts: 62
    GW2 is such a wonderful game.  I mean from the DE's to the Heart Quest's.  The grind for gold.  The grind for tokens.  I love it.  There hasn't been a game that has came out since 2005 that is better.  It is just incredible.  If I was rich and could buy a server full of cd keys I would.  I have already bought gems to increase my bank space and bag space.  I honestly believe the 60 dollar price tag is just too low.  I can afford atleast twice that for this game.  Anet is the tops.  They are so concearned about your gameing exp. that they release these little wkly patches that take care of what ever troubles you are having in game.  I just love them.  Blizzard, Funcom, and Trion could certainly learn a thing or two from Anet.  What more can I say.  I just love GW2!
    Originally posted by aesperus

PvP is very shallow.

[mod edit]

Interesting.

GW2 has 2 forms of PvP (DAoC only had one) Wrong. DAoC had battlegrounds and RvR and Darkness Falls.. If you are talking about sPvP, then you are right, I'm talking about WvW, or, as it should actually be called, RvR. 

However, the 2nd type of PvP (WvW) has just as many consequences as DAoC had, and then some. Haha, no. You lose territory, you lose points, you lose money, you lose upgrades, you lose buffs, you lose morale, etc. etc. etc. In DAoC victory would get you points that could improve your rank and character. There were Relics which would give buffs to your entire realm if you controled them. GW2 doesn't have this. And the best dungeon in the entire game was only given to the realm that had the most keeps in RvR, so there's another consequence. You really should have done even basic reading about DAoC before trying to talk to someone who actually played it. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

*snip*

There were Relics which would give buffs to your entire realm if you controled them. GW2 doesn't have this. And the best dungeon in the entire game was only given to the realm that had the most keeps in RvR, so there's another consequence. You really should have done even basic reading about DAoC before trying to talk to someone who actually played it. 

yes there are.. have you not played this game at all?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168
    I've been in Jade Quarry since launch. It was fun fighting to the top, but right now all I could think of is to switch to a less dominant server. The game is great, but they are making some senseless decisions especially with the free server transfers. It's making WvWvW much less about "server pride" and inherently less fun for me.

*snip*

There were Relics which would give buffs to your entire realm if you controled them. GW2 doesn't have this. And the best dungeon in the entire game was only given to the realm that had the most keeps in RvR, so there's another consequence. You really should have done even basic reading about DAoC before trying to talk to someone who actually played it. 

The system in GW2 is not the same as the one in DAoC, and the rewards are extremely minimal.

First, GW2 never pretended to be DAoC (or DAoC II or whatever). It's the ex-DAoC fans who pretended it was.

So PvP is "shallow" because you play it for fun and to win, and you don't get ranks and associated rewards which make you OP for those who don't have a rank yet? If anything, to me, that's something GW2 enhanced compared to DAoC.

GW2 is indeed not for the reward hungry crowd who need to have a number saying that they are better than anyone else in a video game. You still have a classification of the realms in WvW though, but it's not individual epeen waving, it's your whole server working together.

And you saying there are no consequences for loss or victory makes me wonder if you have even played the game.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I don't like it.

I feel the fans are forcing me to speak against the game, simply because I can't connect reality with what's being said about GW2.

If people had been less extreme in their supposed love for the game - I think I would have just let it be without comment.

But I can't just ignore how so many bad/hollow features are hailed as revolutionary or "good for the genre" - when I think they're quite the opposite.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

*snip*

The system in GW2 is not the same as the one in DAoC, and the rewards are extremely minimal.

First you sead GW2 don't have a Relic system and you got called out for being wrong first clue you haven't played the game and don't know what you are talking about.

Secondly you counter argument is that GW2 dosen't have the same system and gives minimal rewards so GW2 is not like  DAOC...duh.... what did you expect IT'S NOT DAOC 2 for the love of god that's the second clue that you have not played GW2 and have absolute now clue whatsoever what your are babbling about.

I can give you one advice.

1: If you wan't to troll, please do some research before posting

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.