Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I smell a huge rat here

Am bailing out and contacting paypal first thing tomorrow for a refund.  I smell a rat with this game and want me money back while I still can.

Hope am wrong but am 99% certain am not.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    What?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    you do know its in alpha...right?
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

This should be entertaining....

Please, explain yourself.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    maybe a giant rat zombie killed him....i heard those things can be vicious.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by darkrain21

I can't think of many games that actually change from the time they let players in, to the time it goes live, regardless of the name they give the phase (alpha, beta, closed beta, etc.).  Having said that, alpha is usually a very early build meant for the developers and maybe close friends to play, just to test basic things out, like the major gamplay mechanics and game engine stuff.  Letting players in on an Alpha is either stupid on their part, or actually a beta phase named alpha to give them more time to build the game.

You make me like charity

• shagmashagma Member Posts: 12
    I too smell a rant in here
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I can't think of many games that actually change from the time they let players in, to the time it goes live, regardless of the name they give the phase (alpha, beta, closed beta, etc.).  Having said that, alpha is usually a very early build meant for the developers and maybe close friends to play, just to test basic things out, like the major gamplay mechanics and game engine stuff.  Letting players in on an Alpha is either stupid on their part, or actually a beta phase named alpha to give them more time to build the game.

I think letting more people into the alpha is actually a very wise move for this game. It gives them the ranters and anger trolls a chance to let what they hate roll off and the developers can then go back and get all the VERY big bugs and annoyinces nocked out so that beta becomes much smoother and they can focus on stability. Also you have clearly never been in an Alpha before. World of warcrafts alpha was almost another game by the time beta started and then it changed even more when launch happend

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I see someone who bought a game they don't like and in order to justify accusing the company involved of some fraudulent activity in order to claim the money spent back "smells a rat"

I see a rat.

• volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

not sure what your talking about but its an alpha i have dont beta and alphas and yes things do change, If you read the forum you would know that alot of things have been removed from this version . An alpha is not a presentation of final product. Its your own fault for thinking it was otherwise. 

I am having a blast in it so far. I know what to expect

My global tgash is getting quite full

guns, water, food , wepons. Got plenty of it.

Next time you think of buying a game maybe you should read up on it and then you could avoid having to go after a refund

Originally posted by voltt

not sure what your talking about but its an alpha i have dont beta and alphas and yes things do change, If you read the forum you would know that alot of things have been removed from this version . An alpha is not a presentation of final product. Its your own fault for thinking it was otherwise. 

I am having a blast in it so far. I know what to expect

My global tgash is getting quite full

guns, water, food , wepons. Got plenty of it.

Next time you think of buying a game maybe you should read up on it and then you could avoid having to go after a refund

Ditto

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    bb bro

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Paypal won't do it for items that are not actually shipped.  You cant say you didn't get what you paid for etc.    The only hope you have is that the company does not respond to your claim and they default to your side.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• briangriffinbriangriffin Member Posts: 3
    4B99-81WW-7817-SUWW 48 hour warZ guest pass
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Paypal won't do it for items that are not actually shipped.  You cant say you didn't get what you paid for etc.    The only hope you have is that the company does not respond to your claim and they default to your side.

Actually, unless it changed in the past few months, its the opposite. Paypal will refund you, and the company cannot dispute the chargeback UNLESS there was a physical item shipped.

Ran into this issue on a private server I used to run. My partner lost a lot of money (nearly $50k) in chargebacks when he sold his previous server off to someone else. So with the new server, purchases of the custom PvP equipment (most expensive stuff) was also accompanied by some items shipped to the buyer so that they couldnt charge back via paypal down the road if they quit playing or whatever.

MEX2-1CJO-X4TM-XL1I 48 HOUR WARz GUESTPASS
    GB7E-N983-JGY3-2MNI Last warZ 48 hour guest pass
  • ZimoHZimoH Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Hope you had a good night sleep and remember wtf you were doing.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Never pay to test an alpha or beta product and then complain about paying for it.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Never pay to test an alpha or beta product and then complain about paying for it.

Truth

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    I bought a game in early alpha stage and it doesnt play like a finished product.  Let me guess it plays like a game in early alpha stage, gee imagine that and you want your money back.  You got EXACTLY what was advertised.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    They have been keeping the community up to date and released a patch today. I don't smell any rats. I smell a company actually testing the game and allowing people who want to play it early in to test the game. They are probably getting giant bug lists compiled right now. The only issue I have ran into with the game that I wasn't expecting was the sheer amount of player killing there is. But it definately adds to the tension overall. They give you the feeling not to trust anyone.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by asmkm22

I think letting more people into the alpha is actually a very wise move for this game. It gives them the ranters and anger trolls a chance to let what they hate roll off and the developers can then go back and get all the VERY big bugs and annoyinces nocked out so that beta becomes much smoother and they can focus on stability. Also you have clearly never been in an Alpha before. World of warcrafts alpha was almost another game by the time beta started and then it changed even more when launch happend

I was in the a fairly large part of the friends and family alpha for world of warcraft (around december '03), and it is one of the last games to have an actual alpha/beta cycle that wasn't just marketing.  I did say I couldn't think of "many" games, which is different than none.

Look at most every other MMO that's been released in the last 5 years and try and find one that didn't just use the "beta" phase to build press.  These days, beta testing is really just what used to be called stress testing plus marketing.  I've been in betas that barely had a decent method to report bugs and flaws beyond posting on a forum, essentially lacking even a pretense of development.

SWtOR was pretty much the last Beta I "helped" with, and is was pretty much the last nail in the coffin.  Months of everyone reporting problems that needed be fixed met with near silence.  Low and behold, after release, the problems were still there and only THEN did Bioware bother to start fixing them.  Honestly, I have no idea what they were doing during the beta, because it wasn't development.

I'm not playing War Z so I don't know what state the alpha is in.  All I know is that alphas really shouldn't be available to potential customers for a variety of reasons.  Keep it in house and when it's ready for broader tested, then it goes beta.  The fact that they are doing it the way they are tells me they likely just don't have the staff for even alpha level testing, meaning they had no choice but to open it up a bit.  That or they just needed the cash and figured alpha access was a good carrot.  Either way, it's not a great sign, but maybe they'll prove me wrong with a solid MMO release.

You make me like charity

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    They have been keeping the community up to date and released a patch today. I don't smell any rats. I smell a company actually testing the game and allowing people who want to play it early in to test the game. They are probably getting giant bug lists compiled right now. The only issue I have ran into with the game that I wasn't expecting was the sheer amount of player killing there is. But it definately adds to the tension overall. They give you the feeling not to trust anyone.

So everyone killing everyone losing all your stuff and not being able to trust anyone is good how?

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    BINDERS-FULL-OF-WOMEN not a War Z guest pass
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by Panther2103

So everyone killing everyone losing all your stuff and not being able to trust anyone is good how?

it adds an element of fear and self worth. If you face a chance to lose everything arnt you going to be a bit more attatched to your character. this and DayZ are not for the casual player.