Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XCOM is pretty awesome

2»

Comments

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Wolfenpride

Classic Ironman is pretty brutal. image

I was a little put off by the demo, but it's definently a lot of fun once you're out/skip the tutorial.

I have to agree with your comment on the tutorial.  It was decent, but, I am really loving this game so far.  I think what I enjoy most is thats it's not easy mode.  When I'm most of the way through a mission and lose a high rank squad member I find myself talking to the computer screen .... ok, yelling at the computer screen. 

Good times

~Hairysun

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

As someone who's had X-Com as their most favorite game for a long time, I love this new addition. The mechanics are quite different, but I do feel they serve their purpose to make the game as tense, brutal, and at times just plain dickish towards the player as much as the old one was.

My Classic Ironman game was just a hell of a ride =)

Looking forward to see what they do from here. Hopefully they can make weapon free aim and random terrain work - which is something they admitted to ultimately having to scrap due to technical reasons - in anything subsequent they do with this.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    I just picked this up. I am hoping for the best. 
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

Then theres the UFO series made by czech dev-company that werent too bad either

Actually it was bad. Very bad. That series failed to hit that sweet spot the original game did. The new one is the first follow up to really nail it. XCOM. Terror from the Deep was a good game too, though it played more like a mod of the original, its was just frustratingly hard.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I played UFO: Enemy Unknown on my Amiga when it was first released. My Amiga was getting old by then but I couldn't afford a PC at the time. Great game. Also played Terror of the Deep for a while. This was about the time that I was also playing Warlords II and Warlords II deluxe. another great game that really needs  to be remade.

All die, so die well.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Yep, this game is pretty sweet. Am enjoying it a great deal even though I just lost my main support charcter who had 23 drops to his name..../sigh and poors some tea out for Atlas. What are we without you man? /wipes away tear.

However I do have a few criticisms, like the aliens not moving from designated spawn points. One of my fave things about the original was the aliens doing their own thing in the fog of war  you know? Like sneaking up behind you or coming up on your flank out of nowhere. Now you seem to just run into them and they get a free move. I remember in the original beeing generaly scared at some points when you could here the filthy invaders moving around you and you had no clue where the f^&k they were and I just don't get that with this version. Another thing is not beeing able to swap equipment between your squad on the battle map like you used to be able to do.  I know the new class system negates the need for this a little but it would be sweet to be able to scrounge a med pack or grenade from the still warm corpse of your fallen comrade.

Those gripes asside it's a worthy successor to the legendary franchise, now if you don't mind those abductions wont sort themselves out! To the Skyranger!

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Just came off it, playing on Xbox I "always" save right at the start of a mission but I got it wrong,

finished a UFO mission did about a week at base and half way thru a terror mission I messed it up and quick reload back to the start of my UFO mission :(

BTW I thought the demo was utter pants, game is not perfect but its a good 8/10 enjoying it alot.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

In my book, XCOM shares same disappointment with Skyrim - lack of equipment to have fun and play with :(

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I have been loving the game thus far.... I have been playing non stop since I installed it.  I been playing like over 10+ hours a day, even skipped work to play all day and night one day this week.  It keeps getting more awesome with every mission.  Some feel repetative but I have found some pretty neat things.  I am learning alien powers, took over and found thier mother base on earth, just found a couple artifacts that I am learning to use.... a purple globe that I need to find a proper candidate to use it to find out what it is....mang anyways too much time away must go back to playing, cheers.... 
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

I'm enjoying the game quite a bit too but in some aspects I really wish they would have created the game differently. Innovation is definitely there and it's most definitely worth its price but it could definitely have been even better.

1.) As mentioned the KI is pretty silly. This static standing around waiting for you to spot them before they actively engage makes the missions a bit too stale in my opinion. Would very much prefer them to actively venture around to increase the risk of getting caught in surprise.

2.) It's too linear! In Terror from the Deep I quite often was in situations when I looked at the research options, had dozens of things left to research and had a hard time picking the right one. In Enemy Unknown that simply never seems to happen. You unlock new potential researches too slowly to ever have a really rich selection that could create the dilemma of which goodies you want next.

3.) Meh, only one base. Matter of taste there really but I personally liked the effort it took to slowly improve the world coverage with bases and radars to effectively counter the aliens and earn more funds.

4.) Funding was too much down-scaled. If I do awesomely well then those council members better increase my pay, if not they can cut it. Having only the binary "pays you" or "pays you not" is disappointing.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

I love the game so far. It is like one of my all time favorties - Final Fantasy Tactics - except with aliens and guns. I haven't even tried mulitplayer yet, been having too much fun on single player mode so far.

Best game I bought all year! If you have a spare $50 buy it, if not at least check out the demo on steam.

Yeah indeed they have made an awesome job.Personally this game goes game of the year.

Now what i only want is the expansions so they can make it feel even more near the original one.

Multiple bases mhhh

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

if u dont like it, u can wait for the

UFO extra terrestrials 2, will be out soon i hope

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
    Originally posted by defector1968

The only issue I've seen with UFO2 ET is that, they haven't released a single gameplay vid of it, have they? They also missed their March 2012 release date and only updated the date afterwords afaik (if I'm wrong, please someone correct ^^).

Initial launch of UFO ET was... really, I found the vanilla game so immensely mediocre. It only got a little better for me with bman's mod and gold rerelease, but that game is ultimately just so boring to me. Having some faith that UFO2 ET will be be better, but not getting that vibe atm.

I'd say Xenonauts seems to be much more promising than UFO2 ET, but they've yet to show working AI (I prepurchased it a long time ago). They also initially said they'd give up on the project if it wasn't done by Dec 2012, but I think they've thrown that idea away (I hope) after Kickstarter.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

The only issue I've seen with UFO2 ET is that, they haven't released a single gameplay vid of it, have they? They also missed their March 2012 release date and only updated the date afterwords afaik (if I'm wrong, please someone correct ^^).

Initial launch of UFO ET was... really, I found the vanilla game so immensely mediocre. It only got a little better for me with bman's mod and gold rerelease, but that game is ultimately just so boring to me. Having some faith that UFO2 ET will be be better, but not getting that vibe atm.

I'd say Xenonauts seems to be much more promising than UFO2 ET, but they've yet to show working AI (I prepurchased it a long time ago). They also initially said they'd give up on the project if it wasn't done by Dec 2012, but I think they've thrown that idea away (I hope) after Kickstarter.

extra terrestrials is exactly as ufo enemy unknown was back in 1994

as i read here for the xcom (too linear, 1 base) dont seems to be good, but i'll give it a go when i got the founds

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN

as i read here for the xcom (too linear, 1 base) dont seems to be good, but i'll give it a go when i got the founds

Yup! It was - mechanicly. But I'm not good enough with words to properly explain it. I guess all I can say is that it felt that they approached it like a table of mechanics that they just had to recreate, and the game just didn't have its own personality, or never gave the tension that the original and TFTD gave, or that this new one does.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Xenonauts should also be out soon.  If not there's always ufo:alien invasion.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Got an email from a friend with this link in it.  It seem Firaxis ran out of time to get these things in the game at release.  I havn't tried out the Second Wave" mod yet but it looks interesting none the less.

Former Community Manager “2K Greg” revealed Firaxis’ intent to implement the extra bay of options, but time constraints caused the feature to be scrapped. The majority of Second Wave’s files remain intact within XCOM, however, and a salvo of INI and profile tweaks

Here’s the full list of options Second Wave provides:

• Damage Roulette: Weapons have a much wider range of damage
    • New Economy: The funding offered by individual council members is randomized
    • Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats
    • Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, his or her stats increase randomly
    • (Bugged) Red Fog: Any wounds taken in combat will degrade a soldier’s stats for that mission
    • Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit
    • The Greater Good: The secret of psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien
    • (Bugged) Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete
    • Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases
    • High Stakes: The rewards granted for stopping alien abductions are randomized
    • Diminishing Returns: The cost of satellites increases per construction
    • The Blitz: Aliens target a larger set of cities during abduction attacks
    • More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare

Looking forward to see where they take this game.

~Hairysun

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Played x-com this week, not a bad game but in my opinion to simplified and linear. Now for comparison i bought xenonauts which are in afpha stage atm, and whats curious game feels much more like ufo eu remake than xcom. True grafics are worse than in firaxis game but game itself gives much more freedom than xcom,i only scrached the surface on it but i hawe much more fun playing xenonauts than xcom enemy unknown.
  • catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3

Yup! It was - mechanicly. But I'm not good enough with words to properly explain it. I guess all I can say is that it felt that they approached it like a table of mechanics that they just had to recreate, and the game just didn't have its own personality, or never gave the tension that the original and TFTD gave, or that this new one does.

The tension in Emeny Unknown was pretty good. Of course, the tension level was helped in that my first play through on "classic" did not go that well, lol.