Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to other MMO´s

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Today i tried some of my favourite MMO´s just to see how they compared to GW2..

Playing an hour of each of them ( EQ2,Lotro, Vanguard) made me realise there is no way back for me to these kind of stale combat mechanics.. DDO prooved to be a bit more fun but then i am a D&D worldsetting and ruleset addict with a long pen and paper history, on top of that DCUO combat actually withstood the test.

For myself i have found that i prefer a game with much more acticve combat then the oldfashioned stand and push button MMO´s...Online games have evolved past the WoW/EQ model for me.

Playing GW2 has made me realise that its an awesome game so far and by far the best MMO around to suit my gaming needs at this current day. But i also realise its not perfect..

Many times i miss the trinity

Sometimes i wish that there would be some old fashioned quests, not to many but just a few more to tell some background stories

A little of open world server PvP would be appreciated, not everywhere, but i could imagine the 3 factions or the 5 races still openly fighting eachother in certain zones.

WvWvW has still many shortcommings, i really miss the personal rewards i remember from DAoCs realmpoints and realmranks. And i realy really miss the stupid killspam.

I still miss the point why all instances must have the same main target areas in sPvP.

But in the end there is no way back, no way back to the old more static MMO games.... dynamic worlds and dynamic combat are the future of MMO´s. And GW2 is the first real step to proof that.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

Im glad you like it. You have to remember. it is still not for Everyone.

I do Agree 100%

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    yeah, no going back for me either. just cant do old MMO combat. GW2 has a bright future ahead...i see myself playing it for years. 
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    I'm on this same train. Right now I can't play anything else. Finally, after playing 10+ games in the past 5 years, a game that holds my attention.
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I can't go back because my game has been dead for years already, if it gets ressurected from the past, I'll surely go back to it. This isn't an insult to GW2 whatsoever, I love GW2 and rated it a 10/10, I set realistic expectations to that game and I love it.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    the only other game i see myself playing soon is Heart of the Swarm. i might also try out PS2, but it looks kinda shallow. 
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

LOTRO combat already felt slow compared to games like WoW before I played GW2, I only played the game because of the setting and the story - I bought Rohan with my free Turbine points as a lifetimer, but I can barely log in and each fight looks like one of those old B movie slow motion crap.

Even WoW looks slow compared to GW2, and I still rate it as one of the most responsive combat engine of MMO history. I found myself trying to dodge attacks, and being frustrated I wasn't able to.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

LOTRO combat already felt slow compared to games like WoW before I played GW2, I only played the game because of the setting and the story - I bought Rohan with my free Turbine points as a lifetimer, but I can barely log in and each fight looks like one of those old B movie slow motion crap.

Even WoW looks slow compared to GW2, and I still rate it as one of the most responsive combat engine of MMO history. I found myself trying to dodge attacks, and being frustrated I wasn't able to.

GW2 is suppose to be a fast paced game it seems based on the number of quickslots they give you.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Same here i tried to back to others mmo but can hold me more then 1 hour in GW2 i have near 400 hours on all characters and still having blast.

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Favorite part of the game myself, great action combat. The game has a flow that just feels right to me where other games felt stiff. I play with a controller and it makes the game much better imo, suggest others give it a try. Even how the different classes feel like different characters in a fighting game all equally useable. Very happy with the game so far....
    My favorite part is the massive feel to it, aka lots of people crowding each other doin PVE stuff and WvW stuff. I love large scale everything, part of the fun.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

100% agree with the op but I felt this way sense DDO came out wishing more games would add more action combat but now that GW2 is here with a somewaht open world and the WvW and action combat it is so hard to play other games. I to miss the trinty at times and questing but not enough to go back to other games for it.

Some things need to change in games and sometimes just changing the way combat is done is enough to make games that much more fun. I wish there was more games with action combat and less static combat that makes me loose intrest real fast now adays. Now some things can makes games better yes but to go change the foundation to a game is just not right. So you could not change WoW to have new combat it would be easier to make a new WoW game for that. Just like GW2 you can't just add raids and a trinty and everything would be good to some yes but you know what you just changed the foundtaion of the game.

So lets all just enjoy the games we do theres many friends I have in the mmo scene that play games I dont but we never argue about it we might joke about it but never try to force each other to play each others game.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have been playing GW2, MoP, and Vanguard for the last couple months...well MoP from since launch. Anyway, GW2 is far the best of the 3 but I have put way to many hours into mmo's. I have about 320 in GW2 and I reached level 75 as a Pandaren Monk. I couldn't get through Northrend and canceled the subscription. 

Anyway off topic, I recently bought and am playing The Witcher 2, and the story is pretty epic. My question is, is the entire game linear? I got through the prologue and just started chapter 1, and I haven't been able to just explore or anything like in Skyrim or Oblivion.

Back to the OP. Compared to other MMORPGs, I still am feeling that GW2 is the best since vanilla WoW. Vanguard has a lot to offer for an old school type mmorpg, butI will stick with GW2 for my main for quite some time I hope!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nice post.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 is suppose to be a fast paced game it seems based on the number of quickslots they give you.

Personally, I feel that having fewer skills does not change the pace of combat.  The complexity of combat is somewhat reduced (read streamlined) but there are many things you need to pay attention to other than large numbers of skills (and lots of people just use macros to deal with that).

The only MMO I was still playing before GW2 was GW1, and I feel the same about it now after playing GW2 for a few months (though GW2 has spoiled me with the ability to move while casting).

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Today i tried some of my favourite MMO´s just to see how they compared to GW2.. Playing an hour of each of them ( EQ2,Lotro, Vanguard) made me realise there is no way back for me to these kind of stale combat mechanics.. DDO prooved to be a bit more fun but then i am a D&D worldsetting and ruleset addict with a long pen and paper history, on top of that DCUO combat actually withstood the test. For myself i have found that i prefer a game with much more acticve combat then the oldfashioned stand and push button MMO´s...Online games have evolved past the WoW/EQ model for me.  Playing GW2 has made me realise that its an awesome game so far and by far the best MMO around to suit my gaming needs at this current day. But i also realise its not perfect..  Many times i miss the trinitySometimes i wish that there would be some old fashioned quests, not to many but just a few more to tell some background storiesA little of open world server PvP would be appreciated, not everywhere, but i could imagine the 3 factions or the 5 races still openly fighting eachother in certain zones.WvWvW has still many shortcommings, i really miss the personal rewards i remember from DAoCs realmpoints and realmranks. And i realy really miss the stupid killspam.I still miss the point why all instances must have the same main target areas in sPvP. But in the end there is no way back, no way back to the old more static MMO games.... dynamic worlds and dynamic combat are the future of MMO´s. And GW2 is the first real step to proof that. 

Background for quests/DEs is there. You just have to talk to them for further details and/or wait and listen for what happens next after you complete an event. I understand your points, and although I don't agree with you on the parts that are missing in GW2 from other games, I become nostalgic over certain things that remind me of GW1 and how ANet did it in the prequel. For example the story in GW1:Prophecies is much better than the one in Factions, Nightfall and EotN. The missions follow each other much better and tell the story in a more coherent way. The story of GW2 feels to me like you have to do your race story from 1-x, then your order story from x-y and then comes Trahearne and ruins the story altogether.

It just feels segregated and not thought through. What makes the story even worse is no antagonist got any kind of personality. They are just evil and Trahearne is evil too, in another sense. The three NPCs I remember from playing thro the story are Seiran, Tybalt and the guy who smashes stuff just for fun from the vigil. All other characters remain bland (destiny edge included). I remember a lot more from the old GW1 NPCs. The story overall may not be that great, but the characters had substance. GW2 is completely missing that part.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    The Action mod for Guild Wars 2 is just golden it turns GW2 combat into Tera combat on steroids :) With almost 0 movement restrictions !!! take that action mmos !
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

But in the end there is no way back, no way back to the old more static MMO games.... dynamic worlds and dynamic combat are the future of MMO´s. And GW2 is the first real step to proof that.

-sigh-

No, it's not "proof that it's the future". It proves that there's a market for that kind of game. Just as there is for other variations on MMORPGs.

It's great that you enjoy the game and that it's been an epiphany - for you - to play it. Just bring yourself back down to Earth, get your head out of the clouds, and realize it's not "the future" for everyone. Not everyone is playing GW2. Not everyone is interested in GW2. Not everyone who started playing GW2 is still playing it now.  Believe it or not, there are people playing MMOs who haven't even heard of GW2.

Just as you still miss elements of the more EQ-style MMOs, there are those who still prefer that setup entirely.

What I would like to see is for people to evolve past the whole idol worship of ANet and GW2, stop making these ridiculous declarations about it being "the future of MMOs". Would make it much easier to have normal, reasonable discussions again.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

-sigh-

No, it's not "proof that it's the future". It proves that there's a market for that kind of game. Just as there is for other variations on MMORPGs.

It's great that you enjoy the game and that it's been an epiphany - for you - to play it. Just bring yourself back down to Earth, get your head out of the clouds, and realize it's not "the future" for everyone. Not everyone is playing GW2. Not everyone is interested in GW2. Not everyone who started playing GW2 is still playing it now.  Believe it or not, there are people playing MMOs who haven't even heard of GW2.

Just as you still miss elements of the more EQ-style MMOs, there are those who still prefer that setup entirely.

What I would like to see is for people to evolve past the whole idol worship of ANet and GW2, stop making these ridiculous declarations about it being "the future of MMOs". Would make it much easier to have normal, reasonable discussions again.

Well constructed post. 

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

-sigh-

+1

I have no problem with anyone liking one MMO over another but when they start using lines like "proof that it's the future" or assuming that everyone shares their point if view it's laughable to say the least.

Most of them will be saying the same thing about another mmo sometime in the future.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

+1

I have no problem with anyone liking one MMO over another but when they start using lines like "proof that it's the future" or assuming that everyone shares their point if view it's laughable to say the least.

Most of them will be saying the same thing about another mmo sometime in the future.

Agreed.  I am happy others like the game.  I like it too.

But this extreme religious fanaticism has got to stop.  It's ok to get excited but when you go overboard, it really reeks of inauthenticity and has an off-putting effect to others whom are not head-over-heels in love with the game.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

+1

Agreed.  I am happy others like the game.  I like it too.

But this extreme religious fanaticism has got to stop.  It's ok to get excited but when you go overboard, it really reeks of inauthenticity and has an off-putting effect to others whom are not head-over-heels in love with the game.

read your signature

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

While I like GW2, I found it boring (burnout perhaps).  Me personally.  Not the fighting.  The general questing.  Just a personal thing, and I'm well aware of my own preferences.  That being said, it is still installed and I will continue to go back to it (like I did with GW1).   That being said, I'm playing WoW right now (yes, a panda... which btw has a pretty excellent story) and I find myself hitting F to pick things up and doubletap my keys to dodge.  The more I play it, the more these instincts change but still.

I enjoyed GW2 but I have found I enjoy Rift/WoW just a little more.  And that's ok.  I will play GW2 in the future and continue to have a P2P game in the wings.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Funny thing for me. I was all over GW2 since pre-release. Now that its out, it actually pushed me towards EQ.  Cant argue the quality or beauty and its still installed.  But found out from playing that action combat and RPG dont mix well for me.  I prefer the slower combat, more in-depth gameplay.  Perhaps its my old age.

I hope I get my game one day, the same as some have with GW2.

Time will tell...

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

-sigh-

+1  as well.

Very well written.  I am in the group that tried it for a couple of weeks then went back to my other game (EQ2).  I love casters, and I just don't feel, for me, that GW2 handled them properly.  I shouldn't have to kite around, scramble around dodging like a chicken with my head cut off, to level my character when I fight mobs.  I -hate- kiting.  I sooo wanted to love the Elementalist and Mesmer, but  I just feel  a)  their playstyle is just really awkward for me and  b) they generally need dev attention anyway.

I have other dislikes that have been mentioned elsewhere, but mostly they hinge on the lack of need to be social in any way whatsoever, and the over-zealous fanboi's that completely ruin online forum communicaitons.  Oh, and I happen to like the trinity.  Having classes that are solidly specialized works.  If the dissolution of the trinity was such a great idea, why do I see people in GW2 creating builds to be as much of a tank or healer as they can possibly spec/gear into?  Regardless, I like the trinity system, and its another reason why the mesh with GW2 and I aren't working that well.

Oh, and I also dislike the great number of gold sinks, which, when paired with all their "solutions" to fix the bot plague by diminishing loot returns, makes it annoying to try to gain cash or farm for crafting mats.  Psst, ANET:  the bots are still there and your systems aren't working, so stop punishing the players who are simply trying to play the game.  Maybe they do it to funnel you into their Cash Shop so you'll buy gems then gold.  Who knows, but its NCSoft, and they have a former Nexon employee who specializes in Cash Shop design, so rest assured they are going to hamstring you here and there to get you to buy.  So much for using the Cash Shop for pure cosmetics.

Oh, and for a game that touted itself to be all about zero grind..that's all you end up doing later in the game.  When the "endgame" is so enemic that all you have left to do is grind a dungeon 70+ times, I'll pass.  They may have removed "raid grinding" for loot, but you are still doing the same thing for thousands and thousands of tokens.  Or, you could go to the Cash Shop and spend a couple hundred real life dollars in gems to trade for gold to buy that snazzy Tier 3 cultural set you want.  Yes, cosmetics are optional. No, you don't have to chase their carrots.  But when their content is so shallow, what else is there to do?   Yes, I've seen that ridiculous 80-item list for "endgame activities", but I'd rather work on solid, meaningful character progression in PvE and WvW, and GW2 simply doesn't have it.

Anyway.

GW2 is great for some people, and for others..not their cup of tea.  I think ANET did some innovative improvements that other game developers in other company's should pick up on.  Let's also not confuse much of what they state as "innovation" as merely being shiny new packaging of older, familiar mechanics and systems.  I see GW2 as a great framework for a better direction to go, but it most assuredly (imho) is not the next Coming. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

WvWvW has still many shortcommings, i really miss the personal rewards i remember from DAoCs realmpoints and realmranks. And i realy really miss the stupid killspam.

I

Wait, there isn't even fucking kill spam? Wow. Did they even think about PvP at all?