Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why so empty? :/

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by kruler

Eve PC only and a tad niche

Haha what? It's got more subs than any other western MMO other than WoW.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    beta is so empty. but why?

everything about this game is sub par. So many other lobby fps that play much bettter than dust. The game feels sluggish and its not really fun to play.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by tank017
    console MMO's suck

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Well... the game is in beta.  So access is fairly limited right now.  I really did enjoy the original PlanetSide.... which is what I expect this to be (just in the eve universe amd on the PS3).

Having played both PS2 and DUST 514, I can say that FPS of this kind just aren't my cup of tea anymore.  I do wonder myself why this wasn't somehow packaged as part of the PC eve experience...  Players would have the options of ship-based gameplay or on the ground FPS and the integrations between both experiences would have been tighter.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    How limited is the access?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Couple ppl in my SWTOR guild tried it out and didnt like it at all. If alot of ppl didnt like it that maybe why the beta is empty.  I for one thought this was a bad idea not only to limit the game to one console, but diverting funds from World of Darkenss online was downright stupid. PPL are screaming for a WOD type mmo. Im not sure what CCP executives were thinking on this one. CCP should stick to what they know.....making mmo's.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Overheard during an incursion run in EVE last evening.....

Player 1 - "Anyone playing Dust 514 right now?"

Player 2 - " Yes, I am and really enjoy it"

Player 2 - "It all comes down to people who enjoy COD vs people who enjoy the complexity of EVE.  People who like COD hate Dust because of its complexity, People who enjoy EVE hate COD players because they are so darn good at FPSers"

Player 3 - "I really like FPS'ers, and in fact am quite good at them if I do say so myself, but there's no way I'm going to buy a PS 3 to play it"

Player 4, 5 and 6 - "Ditto"

And now there's the problem, they might have built a pretty decent shooter (that of course won't appeal necessarily to the typical player base for this sort of game) and might have been enjoyed by EVE players who enjoy shooters (even if they aren't always great at them) except the choice of platform is really going to limit the game's success.

And EVE players are not very likely to unsub from EVE just to play Dust514, heck, we're all used to paying for multiple accounts (or PLEXing them) so what would be the big deal of adding a Dust 514 account (or even two?)

No, I think CCP missed the mark with this title in a number of ways, not the least being it also diverted funds that could have been spent on WOD or improving EVE into a project most EVE players will never experience.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Because the whole world is playing GW2 of course! Right?

This cracked me up.....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Please keep the discussion focused on the game.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by COORS

Dust was a bad idea to begin with. It's hard to fathom how high level executives at CCP could have even for a second thought this was a valid project.

The company should have worked on plans to bring the Eve universe down to the planet level, not this insignificant console shooter that practically no one on the planet cares about.

Bad idea. Bad waste of company resources. This will not end well.

Yes i agree with you but i think it would have been 100% better to have moved to multi human avatars aboard single ships manning seperate stations, and also added ship to ship baoarding/assaults, doing this long before adding in ground assaults would have me playing EvE for quite a long time.

Lolipops !

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Hodo

Dust was a bad idea to begin with. It's hard to fathom how high level executives at CCP could have even for a second thought this was a valid project.

The company should have worked on plans to bring the Eve universe down to the planet level, not this insignificant console shooter that practically no one on the planet cares about.

Tell me how it was a bad idea?

Lets look at this from a CEO point of view.

-Single system requirments that EVERY system on the market matches, the PS3. 

-Single system OS that all match, PS3 OS.

-Single licenseing agency, Sony.

-No need to draw players away from our already popular PC based MMO Eve.

-Attempt to draw in players who do not have access to PCs, or prefer FPS on console (yes they do exist).

Now lets look at the first choice in more depth.

Single system specs, no need to program the game for low end system, or for someone running Linux, or on a computer built yesterday by Skynet.   Its a simple idea, one OS, one system, no need to worry much about optimizing on every concievable computer in history.

So tell me again why this is a bad idea?

If i remember correctly dust was also going to have an xbox release, but problems with microsoft ended that and as such would mean most of your assumptions are incorrect.

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not even close to other Western MMO's. Rifts is still far ahead and if you include Guild Wars 2(Not a sub min you I know) you are even farther off. EVE is a great game that continues to expand and improve. Dust 514 is not helping.

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75
    Going out on a limb in an attempt to answer the OP's question but I'm thinking one big reason could be that no one has heard of it.
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Ravensworth

-Attempt to draw in players who do not have access to PCs, or prefer FPS on console (yes they do exist).

Single system specs, no need to program the game for low end system, or for someone running Linux, or on a computer built yesterday by Skynet.   Its a simple idea, one OS, one system, no need to worry much about optimizing on every concievable computer in history.

This was a bad idea because...Single console distribution is narrow minded in a game with a HUGE global player base. The Xbox accounts for at LEAST 35% of consoles and is a MICROSOFT console. XBOX live > PS3 network by far.

The concept of bringing in console gamers was okay but TBH many EVE players I have talked to are not excited by Dust 514. If CCP cannot get there existing player base excited about interacting with the console players and promoting the game then it is doomed to die a horrible death

1 Capsuleers opiinion.

Wikipedia states total worldwide XBox360 sales are 67m and PS3 sales are 64m. I own neither so am not invested in the result. If your stats include the old Xbox then the percentage does not conversely include the PS2 which is the Sony XBox equivalent.

You are backing me up here? because at 35% I was including Wii sales and being Generous.

I did not include the original XBOX in my figures hence no PS2 figures. (PS2>XBOX IMHO)

My point, and others have made it, is "I am not buying a PS3 to play one game, that may or may not really impact my EVE play." At this point how much it will matter if you have Dust 514 players occupying planets and moons for you and will affect your EVE corp is unknown and will be unknown until the game launches. If it "TANKS" then the answer will be - not much!

If it does well. I would bet there are people on EVE who will HIRE people to play Dust 514 for them so they can conquer planets. EVE is a lifestyle not a game. The truly powerful in EVE spend a great deal of time in game because it requires that of leaders of large alliance.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

Not even close to other Western MMO's. Rifts is still far ahead and if you include Guild Wars 2(Not a sub min you I know) you are even farther off. EVE is a great game that continues to expand and improve. Dust 514 is not helping.

EvE has about half a million subs, I thought Rift was running at about 250k or so?

EvE has about half a million subs, I thought Rift was running at about 250k or so?

I stand corrected if that is correct. I doubt it though as EVE cannot handle more than 100k logged in at any one time. However you figures are probably more recent than mine and if so I apoloigize.  BUT EVE is much more of a international MMO than most IMHO with a large number of players in Russia and former Eastern Bloc nations.

Oh, one more thing. I want Dust 514 to be very successful as it will be good for the Overall EVE game. Just one more element of things that must be dealt with. I hope it does really well. I just don't think it will. I am not even demanding a PC version but an XBOX version would be nice. I think by going exclusive on PS3 CCP have hurt their sales.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

I think it's likely to be under 250k.  According to the sites rift has 26 servers most with low pop and a few with medium, so could easily be half that number or under depending on the definition of low and medium.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

dust 514 is competing against planetside 2 (PC)

seriously, i have no idea what ccp is doing with their "only consoles" move for dust, but i hope whoever payed em to do that step, payed em enough :)

uh and btw, eve can handle 100k logged in players. normal ammount of players was around 150-300k last time i played

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Man, I've seen so many people, including me, state that they would love the game, if only it was a PC game.

Let those bolded words ring into history.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

I stand corrected if that is correct. I doubt it though as EVE cannot handle more than 100k logged in at any one time. However you figures are probably more recent than mine and if so I apoloigize.  BUT EVE is much more of a international MMO than most IMHO with a large number of players in Russia and former Eastern Bloc nations.

If EvE or CCP was so secure in there future they would not be looking at a console format. I believe it is going to go to F2P with I Win Shops.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

If EvE or CCP was so secure in there future they would not be looking at a console format. I believe it is going to go to F2P with I Win Shops.

From the player reaction when they introduced a clothing shop for the Avatars I doubt they would try that, as someone else said, EvE is growing still after 8 years, however CCP has realised that their eggs are all in one EvE shaped basket and are trying to diversify their income stream by creating both Dust and WoD.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

I do not think it is going F2P. It has done nothing but grow or stay steady in subs. A game that is growing is not likely to go F2P anytime soon.

Oh, one more thing. I want Dust 514 to be very successful as it will be good for the Overall EVE game. Just one more element of things that must be dealt with. I hope it does really well. I just don't think it will. I am not even demanding a PC version but an XBOX version would be nice. I think by going exclusive on PS3 CCP have hurt their sales.

I am not sure about the relevance of your comment about the nationality of the EvE player base. A Russian or East European, or nowadays Japanese sub is as valid and relevant as a US or western European sub.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I am not a current Eve player, but I would say that personally speaking, if DUST was released on PC I would try it even when I am not playing Eve, simply because of the fact that I know Eve has a rich universe a playerbased politics system, and I woul like to have a look at the ground element of it.

Releasing only on PS3 has killed any desire for me to even try it.

I don't know what the number of players in my situation is, but I would take a guess that it would not be low because I'm sure there are a lot of MMOers who like to try Eve but don't like the ship management/non-Elite (old school space sim) like element of it and wish it was more (like ground combat and such). So to me the idea that CCP has made the wrong decision on going PS3 only on DUST seems to have some merit.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This was a bad idea because...Single console distribution is narrow minded in a game with a HUGE global player base. The Xbox accounts for at LEAST 35% of consoles and is a MICROSOFT console. XBOX live > PS3 network by far.

The concept of bringing in console gamers was okay but TBH many EVE players I have talked to are not excited by Dust 514. If CCP cannot get there existing player base excited about interacting with the console players and promoting the game then it is doomed to die a horrible death

1 Capsuleers opiinion.

Wikipedia states total worldwide XBox360 sales are 67m and PS3 sales are 64m. I own neither so am not invested in the result. If your stats include the old Xbox then the percentage does not conversely include the PS2 which is the Sony XBox equivalent.

You are backing me up here? because at 35% I was including Wii sales and being Generous.

I did not include the original XBOX in my figures hence no PS2 figures. (PS2>XBOX IMHO)

My point, and others have made it, is "I am not buying a PS3 to play one game, that may or may not really impact my EVE play." At this point how much it will matter if you have Dust 514 players occupying planets and moons for you and will affect your EVE corp is unknown and will be unknown until the game launches. If it "TANKS" then the answer will be - not much!

If it does well. I would bet there are people on EVE who will HIRE people to play Dust 514 for them so they can conquer planets. EVE is a lifestyle not a game. The truly powerful in EVE spend a great deal of time in game because it requires that of leaders of large alliance.

The main reason this game isn't coming to 360 is because it's made basically using Sony's UE mod code. No way would Sony allow MS to get a game with their code. 

Lot of people don't understand that Dust was made using MAG mod which is Sony's code. Hint,, PS3 exclusive...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design