Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by tribalfreak

My one gripe is the fact that if you die, you can just port to a waypoint and run back to the fight. this basiclly makes a sort of zombie zerg at bosses where people keep dying and respawning at the nearest waypoint to jump right back into the fight.

Well that is true but if you tend to die a lot the repair bill can run off quite high.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Last night someone mentioned in guild having 480 hours played. I was like "WTF!" inside. Then I checked my own /age. 404 hours. Again, another "WTF!" moment. Where'd the time go?! Well, for one thing, that cursed feature ANet has plagued us with called WvWvW. It's horrible. I can't not go into WvW now when I log in. It's eating all my time, keeping me from fully experiencing the PvE world. I can't recall having this much fun with PvP since... well, anyone remember Star Fleet Battles? There was an online version, I think it was called Star Fleet Command... that was the last time I had this much PvP fun. Only done two dungeons plus Arah story mode. My poor ranger is stagnated at level 53 because my 80 mesmer dominates my time. The ranger is even 400 jewelcrafting, poor guy...

Anyhow, the fanboy in me screams "best game EVAH!". However, the cynical critic in me is forcing me to admit to myself that... wait, hang on, what's that? ... Nevermind the cynical critic just informed me that he's going with "Best game ever." with proper punctuation and spelling. Guess I'll vote "Best Game Ever" then.

Caveat... this is my opinion of course. My list of games is more limited than most. The aforementioned SFC (SFC II actually... loved me some Lyrans...), the original Guild Wars, WoW a number of years, Eve Online, STO, Diablo I and II... some single players in there as well. I think there's a couple others that I tried for a bit and they simply never stuck. Oh yes, did Wizards 101 with the kids for a bit. Cute game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

in my personal opinion, it's a good game.  not great.  Generic classes that all do basically the same thing (played all to mid 30's minimum and honestly other than "oops that ability is  ranged on this char" moments they all were basically the same damned thing). 

My main problem is I find no hook, no overwhelming desire to log in and do anything.   Might be the lack of paying a sub compelling me to log in to "get my money's worth" or the game design overall, I'm not sure.  TSW had that feeling for me too tho.......but I overplayed it hardcore in beta and I think I just perma burned out on that one (2 week vacation then a week and a half off with injury right after....too much play time).

I'm not going to uninstall it any time soon, but I really wish I didn't buy 4 copies for the household as mine will be mostly unused for quite awhile as there's nothing for me in the game except for the rare "oh, I didn't do that jumping puzzle on one toon, time to get it done just to get it done" /shrug

This past weekend I almost considered getting my WoW account up and running again and buy MoP after nearly 2 years off to give a blood elf monk a try, that's how bored I am with GW2 atm

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by blackthornn

in my personal opinion, it's a good game.  not great.  Generic classes that all do basically the same thing (played all to mid 30's minimum and honestly other than "oops that ability is  ranged on this char" moments they all were basically the same damned thing). 

My main problem is I find no hook, no overwhelming desire to log in and do anything.   Might be the lack of paying a sub compelling me to log in to "get my money's worth" or the game design overall, I'm not sure.  TSW had that feeling for me too tho.......but I overplayed it hardcore in beta and I think I just perma burned out on that one (2 week vacation then a week and a half off with injury right after....too much play time).

I'm not going to uninstall it any time soon, but I really wish I didn't buy 4 copies for the household as mine will be mostly unused for quite awhile as there's nothing for me in the game except for the rare "oh, I didn't do that jumping puzzle on one toon, time to get it done just to get it done" /shrug

This past weekend I almost considered getting my WoW account up and running again and buy MoP after nearly 2 years off to give a blood elf monk a try, that's how bored I am with GW2 atm

I will say that since I started playing MoP on launch day I have yet to log into GW2. GW2 is a great game, but there just isn't enough variety of things to do. Blizzard did a good job of adding a few different things to do to break up the monotony of just killing things all of the time. The Tillers daily quest hub where you get your own farm breaks things up nicely, not to mention that Pet Battles of all things is actually well done, and fun.

GW2 would be well served with some more sandbox elements, such as personal housing (or even a farm heh), and hell even fishing. Just really need something else to do than killing. You can grind out dynamic events, spvp and wvw for so long. In the end it's still just killing different things.

As much as I hate to say it, GW2 would do well if ANet added more weapon slot skills as well. I would like to see at least one more group of skills per weapon per class in the near future. I think they could really differentiate the classes more through better weapon skills, more unique ones as well. I think this might be where you're getting the feel of generic classes from in GW2. The utility skills have a decent variety, but the weapon skills get bland fast. Hell, I'd like to see some "Main Hand" shield skills, because shields are especially boring.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

It's a decent themepark, but that doesn't say much.

I'll say, while games like SWTOR and LotRO have NO potential, GW2 has a decent amount to expand with.

They just really need to fix RvR. I don't understand how they could base their RvR on DAoC... but then make mistakes that DAoC didn't make.

Why is there a queue to get in to fight? Shouldn't be one. Its not needed. Not with 3 factions.

Why are the maps so small? They really limit tactics that way.

Why is there no progression system like realm ranks?

Why are there no tangible rewards beyond bragging rights? You should be able to boost your server's PvE experience by winning. That offered a huge amount of cooperation between PvE and PvP players in DAoC. Not to mention relic raids were huge, difficult, and always brought EVERYONE out, even people just running supplies.

Why is there no freaking Darkness Falls? They copied the passage of conflict, why not Darkness Falls???

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    LotRO have NO potential

Care to explain?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

It was OK for a month, but too lackluster to hold my interest for a longer period of time. It just seemed like the same old MMO wrapped in a slightly different package.

^

One-month-wonders are all they make now, unfortunately.

Originally posted by Torgrim
    LotRO have NO potential

Care to explain?

It's fairly locked into its WoW formula. There's no room to really expand any of its features unless it restructures the whole game. It's going to be a linear heavily instanced solo oriented quest grinding game until it shuts down. The WoW formula leaves little room for trying new things. And lets be honest, if Turbine wanted to try new things, they wouldn't have scrapped their sandbox design of Middle Earth Online and made a WoW clone instead.
    That, and they're not making nearly enough money to try many crazy ideas. They're a sink hole of money for their publisher at the moment.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I'll say, while games like SWTOR and LotRO have NO potential, GW2 has a decent amount to expand with.

They just really need to fix RvR. I don't understand how they could base their RvR on DAoC... but then make mistakes that DAoC didn't make.

Why is there a queue to get in to fight? Shouldn't be one. Its not needed. Not with 3 factions.

Why are there no tangible rewards beyond bragging rights? You should be able to boost your server's PvE experience by winning. That offered a huge amount of cooperation between PvE and PvP players in DAoC. Not to mention relic raids were huge, difficult, and always brought EVERYONE out, even people just running supplies.

Why is there no freaking Darkness Falls? They copied the passage of conflict, why not Darkness Falls???

This a million times over.  They touted how awesome WvsW would be and it sounded a lot like DAOC, but sadly, everything you said above is a big problem I have with their WvsW. With all the flaws, it doesn't even come close to how epic Pre-TOA/Old Frontiers RvR in DAOC was. I haven't bothered to log into GW2 in over a week now. The WvsW is what drew me to the game and it's no where near as good as it could have been, so it's drove me away from the game as well.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

yet another pay the box price and play for a month or two title.  Just like pretty much every mmo mass produced now.

The PVE/Raider will not find a non-wow clone that'll satisfy the masses since the heyday of EQ

The PVP Open World Player will not find another Ultima Online

The RvR Team based pvp player will not find another DAoC

Not while the companies are looking for the quick fix of box sales and trying too hard to appeal to ANY AND ALL audiences at once.  It really seems none of the MMO Studios are in it for the long haul. 

Collect profit from Box sales, watch subs fall, content patch, watch subs jump a bit then fall even more, implement backup FTP plan (coded and ready since alpha testing), cut staffing and funding, dole out supplemental patches here and there.

I'm not sure, based off the games out now, if I'm alone in this, but if any studio would put out a game that actually had what's listed below would get my cash for a PREMIUM monthly sub, for the below, well implemented I'd actually pay $20-25 a month because to me it'd be worth it:

-no item shop (or cosmetic ONLY, gear skins, weapon skins, social pets, that's it)

-Bring back class/race restrictions and have different classes for different areas of the world, not just carbon copies of each other with nifty new names

-Group Based PVE from low level on  (think old school EQ pre-PoP)

-3 faction world controll, seperate continents/areas with a replica of the world map as a whole pvp area where factions could expand control over the pvp map giving boosts to the pve map for the non pvp'ers and unlocking special equipment/siege gear for those buffing their faction's pve'ers

-real quality crafting: pc made farm equipment, boats, carts, wagons, seige equip, armor, weapons, potions, etc that make a real difference at all stages over vendor bought mcdonalds quality stuff...make it take a ton of resources for an awe inspiring warship that actually can be used in  naval pvp, make it so the guild crafter is getting harassed about how much longer it'll be to complete the guild hall so they can start stacking trophy buffs, etc.

-Real use of Boats/ships/mounts/caravans/flying mounts (VG without waypoints, EQ pre-PoK books, etc)

-Guild realestate (where you could show trophies of raids/pvp captures/etc and they would promote buffs for the guild (I think VG did this best to my knowledge)

-personal housing/homesteads where you could not only own a show off house but employ farmhands, smiths, etc and have a semi-permanent AH vendor hireling to sell your wares (livestock, feilds, orchards, etc for self generated random crafting materials)

-NO Global AH, you can travel to a region and somehow look up where what is available and how much (gossip right?) but you actually have to travel to the merchant, no instant delivery system.

-limit the number of servers from launch, have good pop cap capacity in from the start so you don't need to open then close 5000 servers and no cross server grouping/raiding/pvp.......bring back having player reputation matter!!!!

I know the market now is on the "I want it now, I don't want to spend an hour crossing a map, fighting all the way, I want it NOW NOW NOW" hype, and as someone who works 44-50 hrs a week and has 3 kids I don't have all the time in the world to sneak thru kithcor at night on my way to a marathon run thru the karana's anymore all the time but I'd gladly do as much of the run as I have time to do and then log off and complete it tomorrow :P

Basically a nice mix of sandbox and themepark with REAL 3 faction pvp where the pve and pvp mesh properly as all the games say they do now (but have it actually work).

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Tayah

This a million times over.  They touted how awesome WvsW would be and it sounded a lot like DAOC, but sadly, everything you said above is a big problem I have with their WvsW. With all the flaws, it doesn't even come close to how epic Pre-TOA/Old Frontiers RvR in DAOC was. I haven't bothered to log into GW2 in over a week now. The WvsW is what drew me to the game and it's no where near as good as it could have been, so it's drove me away from the game as well.

Agreed, wvw is lacking. But I expect it to grow, and become something more in the future.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I voted for option 1, think its utter garbage...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Agreed, wvw is lacking. But I expect it to grow, and become something more in the future.

The fact that it started off this poorly doesn't give me confidence for the future.

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

I have a good analogy of why I believe there's so much dissent from some crowd towards this game.

I live in Washington State and we have this beautiful rain forest called  the "Hoh Rain Forest". Now, most of the people from the west coast that visit it appreciate it in all its splendor. They relish it for all the beauty the area has to offer. They go down to Ruby Beach and take pictures and beachcomb, they drive up to La Push and check out beach's 1,2 and 3 and go on up the coast to Cape Flattery and are awed by the vistas they take in viewing the western most tip the state overlooking the Pacific Ocean as it joins the Strait of Juan de Fuca. They take it all in and enjoy the beauty of what was created here.

Previous games raiders are like people from New York City  that come to visit. They could care less of most of the stuff in the area. They're rude to the locals and they just want to hurry up and see and do some stuff quickly so they can go home and leave this hippie shit  behind.

That's who the complainers are, they're previous games hardcore raiders that are bored shitless and can't just enjoy what took A-net years to make. You'll never win them over unless you give them everything they want and more.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Pretender00

I have a good analogy of why I believe there's so much dissent from some crowd towards this game.

I live in Washington State and we have this beautiful rain forest called  the "Hoh Rain Forest". Now, most of the people from the west coast that visit it appreciate it in all its splendor. They relish it for all the beauty the area has to offer. They go down to Ruby Beach and take pictures and beachcomb, they drive up to La Push and check out beach's 1,2 and 3 and go on up the coast to Cape Flattery and are awed by the vistas they take in viewing the western most tip the state overlooking the Pacific Ocean as it joins the Strait of Juan de Fuca. They take it all in and enjoy the beauty of what was created here.

Previous games raiders are like people from New York City  that come to visit. They could care less of most of the stuff in the area. They're rude to the locals and they just want to hurry up and see and do some stuff quickly so they can go home and leave this hippie shit  behind.

That's who the complainers are, they're previous games hardcore raiders that are bored shitless and can't just enjoy what took A-net years to make. You'll never win them over unless you give them everything they want and more.

I thought the Olympic Peninsula was absolutely gorgeous. My wife and I were out there for a vacation and also went to the San Juan Islands, etc. I thought it was bloody amazing and makes you feel truly small seeing the big trees, etc.

Not all are. There's a lot of old school mmo'ers that would just like to play a good mmo again like Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot. Mmo's with depth, real exploration, adventure, no hand holding. GW2 is probably one of the better mmos to come out in the past few years, we've had quite a few WoW clonish failures the past few years. GW2 still doesn't live up to true mmo's of old though EQ1, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, DAOC. It's like game companies have taken steps and leaps backwards in progression, and forgotten what true mmo's are.

Dark Age of Camelot

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    best MMO hands down, and one of the best game's ive ever played. it doesnt quench my thirst for RTS pvp, but i dont play fps and MOBA's any longer.
  • Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

Not all are. There's a lot of old school mmo'ers that would just like to play a good mmo again like Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot. Mmo's with depth, real exploration, adventure, no hand holding. GW2 is probably one of the better mmos to come out in the past few years, we've had quite a few WoW clonish failures the past few years. GW2 still doesn't live up to true mmo's of old though EQ1, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, DAOC. It's like game companies have taken steps and leaps backwards in progression, and forgotten what true mmo's are.

I'll concede, I should have said "ALOT of the complainers are". I'm an old school mmo'r myself and would love to see A-Net take some constructive criticism and mold the future of this game to be more like, say, DAoC for example. There are area's that they could really improve on and I think they actually listen to their customers so there is hope. But, there are so many just pure haters that flame this game it's crazy. A-net has made a spectacular game for casual gamers. I don't think they ever intended it to be a hardcore game. Now they're getting blasted in every forum for not being hardcore enough.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Ah, fond memories of my time in Washington. I was doing some work for the State in Olympia, lived in Lacey. My son was born there actually. First place I lived where you could tell north by which side of the roof had moss growing on it. Loved it. We were there during the Nisqually Quake, that 7.0 beast with the epicenter I swear half way up my sphincter when it happened. Beautiful, beautiful place to live.

Also first introduced to salmon jerky there. Loved it. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

I'll concede, I should have said "ALOT of the complainers are". I'm an old school mmo'r myself and would love to see A-Net take some constructive criticism and mold the future of this game to be more like, say, DAoC for example. There are area's that they could really improve on and I think they actually listen to their customers so there is hope. But, there are so many just pure haters that flame this game it's crazy. A-net has made a spectacular game for casual gamers. I don't think they ever intended it to be a hardcore game. Now they're getting blasted in every forum for not being hardcore enough.

Aye, there will always be people that lurk forums and troll about, just looking to make a hate post just to get a rise out of people. GW2 is a good casual friendly game, and I think that's what they were aiming for when creating it. It's what they intended to make and it has met its mark with the audience they were looking for.

Dark Age of Camelot

• Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

First and foremost was and still am a huge fan of GW1 and it's Magic the Gathering style of create a build and play with it mentality.

I am having a blast in this one thus far. I went into this one not speed leveling to cap and then conquer content backwards on purpose. Mainly to take the time to actually read the world and find all the little nods to GW1. Actually so far, every time I think I have experienced everything in an area, I come across something that is different.

Even though I can easily escape mobs and baddies, when I think about other MMO's I've played through the years, this one seems to have more of them. Every two steps I take I'm gaining hate. Not sure exactly how I feel about that.

The landscapes are pretty and I immediately make the connection to GW1.

So far, I have spent alot of time in WvW. To be honest, I began on HoD which at the time before our guilds departure was probably the most populated server ingame around the clock 24/7. To this day I have not experienced the long wait times that many claim to have in que. I think 15mins has been the longest thus far for a BL and 35mins for an EB spot. Not several hours like some may claim. Maybe luck, I dunno...

sPvP is alright thus far, but I expect it to evolve. Hopefully we get some GvG though and would like to see something like Heroes Ascent or Hall of Heroes.
    WvW is pretty fun, but I do realize that like the rest of the game, it needs work.

For a launch title that is still in it's infancy, I think it has the potential to be a really great game that I will play for a long time.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Best themepark to date.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

It's one of the best games I've played in the last few years now.

Can't wait to see what they prepared for us on the halloween. 4 new acts, costume brawl, new puzzles (and I've heard it's going to be 2 new zones as well but not sure about that)! It sure does sound like ANet I used to know in GW1, they always made a nice suprise for players. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

So after 100 hours played, I finally got my first character (thief) to level 80.  Havent even got to Orr yet, just the island around it.

I really loved the mobility of the Thief.  I made a bunch of other characters and will settle on the Mesmer as my second class to level up.  This class is so fun, with so much more depth and nuances than the thief.

This game really is a casual gamers dream come true.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Sovren1

First and foremost was and still am a huge fan of GW1 and it's Magic the Gathering style of create a build and play with it mentality.

This is actually what I think GW2 really lacks.  There is no feeling of "building" a set of character skills, like you would a deck.  Instead, it's more like playing MtG with only premade decks.

That said, the game is ok for a while.  I don't regret purchasing it, since it's something I can pop in whenever I want and play, no strings attached.  It's just unfortunate that the game lacks any kind of depth.

You make me like charity