Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My dear game

aalibeyaalibey Member CommonPosts: 5

My heart still aches...

Comments

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269

Hearts been aching since the NGE. 

• MuratReisMuratReis Member UncommonPosts: 73

It's amazing this game still  lingeres on in our minds all these years after the changes. It's almost as if it was a loved person who left our lives....I don't think there will be another game that will capture the hearts of its players like SWG did.... 

SWG, we'll never forget you. 

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318

The irony is since SWTOR's total fail, SWG would have gotten alot more subs;  all you have to do is log into SWTOR and you wonder what the H34L they were thinking during production.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

The irony is since SWTOR's total fail, SWG would have gotten alot more subs;  all you have to do is log into SWTOR and you wonder what the H34L they were thinking during production.

No wonder EA wanted to have the only Star Wars-themed MMO on the market. Customer choice coould be so inconvenient.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow

i dont know...maybe iv'e had too much wine to drink and am being overly pessimistic tonight but i dont think they are paid to think anymore...thats the problem in my eyes. it simply doesn't pay anymore. the big wigs simply dont want original/visionary thinkers  making their games, they want people to come to work, think inside the box and execute their narrow vision to fit the corporate model/vision of their money making venture. re-write that sentence any way you want but thats the crux of the problem in my eyes. i work for a company like this.

passion and creativity are nearly gone in the modern business world. dont get me wrong...its still there in people, its simply not rewarded anymore. for the past two decades its been about refining labour to squeeze every last drop of blood from workers. corporate greed and need for efficiency to keep stock prices rising has finally caught up with the white collar world in a big way i think. it stimies creativity and rewards efficiency....simply put...creativity is no longer profitable, peak efficiency is.

the original SWG was created in a different time, a different climate, a different way of thinking. i personally think it was on the tail end of an erra in gaming that started in the mid 80's, an era of intense creativity to make fun and exciting new worlds. thats the difference. SWG was envisioned as a fun and exciting "world" to escape to and have a ball in. it was visionary. the amount of money gaming attracted post SWG simply changed that equation. thats my opinion...

i think there will be game worlds that compare to it in the future. i wont even pretend to know or have a clue when another like SWG will arrive, but i dont think it will happen until developers are allowed to lighten up, remember how to have fun and allowed to create game worlds again. EVE is close as it gets today IMO but EVE was created around the same time as swg so i guess you could consider it a lone survivor, not a succesor.

the absurd need to keep stock prices rising no matter what is bringing out the worse side of capitalism in a big way, too much greed these days....

• SutterSutter Member UncommonPosts: 35

From the looks of it SWG will go down in my personal history as the best game I ever played. There isn't even talk of any games on the horizon that peek my interest. Hell After playing kotor for 2 months If swg pop'd back into existence I wouldn't even qq about cu and the nge anymore. Me and a buddy of mine joke about getting sad talking about the "old days" of him training his first dewback or the 1st day speeders where launched and such, but hell it IS sad, the game even with all it's flaws was a one of a kind happy place of win for me. I just pray to the dieing gods of sandboxism that one day from the ashes of our dead galaxies comes a game with skill trees, epic player housing and hawt pants again. Maybe after the next thousand or so wow's and fps are made someone will reinvent the wheel.

If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first. I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive I've seen it all, I was here first. -Very Ape- Nirvana

• aalibeyaalibey Member CommonPosts: 5
    Just looking over the memory book, God, I miss it so.
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

A properly managed SWG pre cu would have been an outstanding game.

Too bad that never occured.

• hipiaphipiap Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

A properly managed SWG pre cu would have been an outstanding game.

Too bad that never occured.

Pre-CU Profession Options

November 2011 Content

With the TCG

I'm there forever.

MMO History: 2528 days in SW:G

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by defector1968
    [mod edit]

I preferred the NGE also.

In its final state, the NGE was really good.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by defector1968

[mod edit]

Yes.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    A lot of people fuss about the NGE killing SWG, in all honesty....... every game released this past 5+ years has been nothing but the NGE lol. It was just a huge change from pre-nge/cu to the NGE that upset many people. The NGE wasnt actualy that bad and no different than any mmo out now. I played from day one to about 8 months before closing and SWG is still hands down one of the best mmo's out there and you can not find another mmo with even half its features. TOR was a joke, and fear there may never be another star wars mmo released now. SWG free to play would have been a better solution.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Onomas
    A lot of people fuss about the NGE killing SWG, in all honesty....... every game released this past 5+ years has been nothing but the NGE lol. It was just a huge change from pre-nge/cu to the NGE that upset many people. The NGE wasnt actualy that bad and no different than any mmo out now. I played from day one to about 8 months before closing and SWG is still hands down one of the best mmo's out there and you can not find another mmo with even half its features. TOR was a joke, and fear there may never be another star wars mmo released now. SWG free to play would have been a better solution.

I couldn't have said it better myself...

• i enjoyed it a bit in its time, but tbh there was a reason it got canned. i'm guilty of it sometimes as well, but i think we all get these nostalgic glasses that really cloud how we view past games. i do it with SWG, WoW, FFXI, etc, but there are good reasons why i don't play those games anymore. good/decent for the time doesn't always = a solid game today.

not knocking anyone in this thread or anything, just trying to point out something i think a lot of us do.

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Originally posted by er99

i dont know...maybe iv'e had too much wine to drink and am being overly pessimistic tonight but i dont think they are paid to think anymore...thats the problem in my eyes. it simply doesn't pay anymore. the big wigs simply dont want original/visionary thinkers  making their games, they want people to come to work, think inside the box and execute their narrow vision to fit the corporate model/vision of their money making venture. re-write that sentence any way you want but thats the crux of the problem in my eyes. i work for a company like this.

passion and creativity are nearly gone in the modern business world. dont get me wrong...its still there in people, its simply not rewarded anymore. for the past two decades its been about refining labour to squeeze every last drop of blood from workers. corporate greed and need for efficiency to keep stock prices rising has finally caught up with the white collar world in a big way i think. it stimies creativity and rewards efficiency....simply put...creativity is no longer profitable, peak efficiency is.

the original SWG was created in a different time, a different climate, a different way of thinking. i personally think it was on the tail end of an erra in gaming that started in the mid 80's, an era of intense creativity to make fun and exciting new worlds. thats the difference. SWG was envisioned as a fun and exciting "world" to escape to and have a ball in. it was visionary. the amount of money gaming attracted post SWG simply changed that equation. thats my opinion...

i think there will be game worlds that compare to it in the future. i wont even pretend to know or have a clue when another like SWG will arrive, but i dont think it will happen until developers are allowed to lighten up, remember how to have fun and allowed to create game worlds again. EVE is close as it gets today IMO but EVE was created around the same time as swg so i guess you could consider it a lone survivor, not a succesor.

the absurd need to keep stock prices rising no matter what is bringing out the worse side of capitalism in a big way, too much greed these days....

Comment a whole lot bigger then this thread, but true in other industries too. 

I think it comes down to egos with too little humilty -- promotion of the wrong types.  I blame it on the glorification of the Alphas which was really the A-Types which is itself a shorthand for rude, narrow-minded selfishness.

When folks promote the mentors and the innovators the generous and the listeners then we'll see a better game, a better company, a better place to live, and yes a better world.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    SWG was a fun game back in the day. I consider SWG is like an old girlfriend...sometimes you just miss her and the memories, but you need to move on.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• aalibeyaalibey Member CommonPosts: 5
    I got my ToOW refund, and quit in rage when NGE came.......for one month :)
  • er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by Uproar

Comment a whole lot bigger then this thread, but true in other industries too. 

I think it comes down to egos with too little humilty -- promotion of the wrong types.  I blame it on the glorification of the Alphas which was really the A-Types which is itself a shorthand for rude, narrow-minded selfishness.

When folks promote the mentors and the innovators the generous and the listeners then we'll see a better game, a better company, a better place to live, and yes a better world.

i agree...i hope this all happens during my online gaming career and my lifetime...

• OroMatokoOroMatoko Member Posts: 1

Please sign this petition and spread it as much as you can, the creator is in the middle of posting it on several forums, blogs and groups and is trying to arrange some coverage. It will only take 20 seconds to sign!

http://www.change.org/petitions/disney-lucasarts-sony-online-entertainment-bring-back-star-wars-galaxies

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Onomas
    . The NGE wasnt actualy that bad

the NGE WAS that bad.

maybe polished near the end of the game, but released it was horrible to play, broken animations, new expansion useless.....nearly all professions gone....economy ruined overnight....

SWG NGE in 2005 was an insult to humanity, SOE actually thinking the community would suck it up and keep on paying them...

well, 1% did.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by OroMatoko

Please sign this petition and spread it as much as you can, the creator is in the middle of posting it on several forums, blogs and groups and is trying to arrange some coverage. It will only take 20 seconds to sign!

http://www.change.org/petitions/disney-lucasarts-sony-online-entertainment-bring-back-star-wars-galaxies

If they do decide to bring this game back from the dead they need to polish the game a lot better than the last time.

I only played the game after the NGE was released (2007) but what turned me from the game was how incredibly unpolished the game was. Felt like a bunch of amateur programmers made the game.