Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I know, Ultima Online is no more, but..any valid alternative?

Hi gamerZ,

after many years of offline rpg playing, I decided to kill  my social life jumping again in some online rpg. I got pretty fast very addicted..but you know how it works isnt? ^^

I played ultima online for over 5 years and had amazing times! I never was a big PVPer but I loved to PvM, guild, and escpecially the champion spawn, the doom gauntled, the artifact, the time spent to increase your skills and finally being able to tame a dragon, the social life around britain bank, the player runned vendors, the houses to visit across the world.

I made a big selection between games, checking carefully the Game List on this site, and at the end I choosed to start playing Rift. (The alternative was Archage Online, but it's still quiet far from release)

The graphic is amazing, the system complex and satisfying, a lot of skills that reminds my of UO, and the battle system, especially on rifts, is also great. The world is so huge, and soon with the new expansion will be the biggest fantasy world of internet ;) I tought..wow,  I've found the perfect game..but after a few weeks playing, I start missing something.

The social part is ok, but not so much like I remembered. A cold Acution House, no player spamming around selling stuff, or asking to join for a dungeon adventure or else.

In UO I loved the collect rarities (spawn only every week, or month, or year, and some were also UNIQUE, one single item in the whole world!), dirty expensive artifacts, and veteran rewards. In Rift I can't find any of this - the list of RARE items are more than 400, and they spawn constantly. I would not call them "rares"...and I've seen no evidence of UNIQUE items..or Am i Wrong?

I think you got what I am looking for..a mmorpg with a nice social interaction, with true rewards or rares/unique items to hunt, seek, buy and , if possible, with non-instanced housing system (this is asking much...Archage will be agian the answer).

I've seen RaiderZ it's coming out soon, and could possibly be a valid alternative. Anyway I'm not looking for a brand new mmorpg with extreme good graphic, also something released in the past years is ok.

Thanks a lot for reading and your suggestions ;)

Comments

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

UO's still there. The Siege Perilous server (official) has no item insurance, no Trammel Faccet, one character per account so economy is stable, etc. I play currently and there's still nothing like it out there - closest thing I played was EVE, but it's lacking the activities that isn't focused around combat and supplying those that fight.

Edit - Population is good enough too, they have a guild that is dedicated to helping new players on Siege. They have a huge bug publish coming up soon and after that they're gonna revamp armor so plate and wood becomes useful once again. It's a good time to get back into it. Just revamped the site too.

• Spider3Spider3 Member Posts: 33

thanks for the suggestion, but after selling my 5y account (I still repent..but needed money) with a GM tamer, GM bard, GM mage GM crafter, GM t-hunter, I really can't think to start again all from scratch.

As explained PvP is not my main priority, though, call me more a trammie rares collector and dungeon adventurer ;)

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by Spider3

thanks for the suggestion, but after selling my 5y account (I still repent..but needed money) with a GM tamer, GM bard, GM mage GM crafter, GM t-hunter, I really can't think to start again all from scratch.

As explained PvP is not my main priority, though, call me more a trammie rares collector and dungeon adventurer ;)

if you are not looking for pvp, full loot, open world, and are mostly looking for great pve i'd say Rift does it best these days. sure it's no UO but you will be hard pressed to find a game that does fantasy pve better.

i really don't know of any games that focus on finding rare items....

as for comunity....the days of tight knit, respectful comunities are long gone. the more a game is popular the more ass hats "lolz-pwndnube-L2P-"  you will find. the only way to find decent comunities these days if to play obscure sandbox games that are way to slow/complicated for the general add crowd.

After all this encouragament I'm thinking about buying a vet UO account and go back there until the world got something better to offers *grins*
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

if you are not looking for pvp, full loot, open world, and are mostly looking for great pve i'd say Rift does it best these days. sure it's no UO but you will be hard pressed to find a game that does fantasy pve better.

as for comunity....the days of tight knit, respectful comunities are long gone. the more a game is popular the more ass hats "lolz-pwndnube-L2P-"  you will find. the only way to find decent comunities these days if to play obscure sandbox games that are way to slow/complicated for the general add crowd.

Even if you are not looking to PvP, you cant compare Rift or any other MMORPG outthere with UO. Because it is about the activities beside combat, the social live in that game, and the feeling as it would be a living world with it houses and shops all over the place. And withit in old UO with PvP, even if you didnt pvped at all, it gave them all extra meaning and all that. The only one would be SWG, and that one is already dead, too.

To OP.. yeap.. maybe wait for ArcheAge and try that out.. even if i am not that sure if it really catch the feeling of UO, but at least it could be close enough with a new world, this time in 3D and a few new features.

All other games, which could be catch the atmosphere from UO are either in very early development(maybe World of Darkness or Pathfinder Online) or totally underfunded and very indy, so you cant bet that they even will release.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Mortal Online! lol...I can't stop laughing.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve or perpetuum

Darkfall might be closer in spirit to uo, but you will get pvped in darkfall.

Eve & perpetuum its possible to mostly avoid pvp (bar the odd suicider) and work on your industrial skills, if you so choose.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

ITs been a long time since I played it but the game I remember being most like it was called Ashen Empire...Its pretty much PVE focused and has a good skill/crafting system like UO iirc......

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh wakfu too.

If you don't mind turn based combat and its weird French dudes on acid setting.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    No there is no valid alternative imho.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by fenistil
    No there is no valid alternative imho.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

I ended up buying a vet UO account with legendary chars I used to have before leaving, and I'm starting again to enjoy UO, finding a LOT of new stuff, items, monsters, lands! Still a lot of people around, and a lot of social life inside!

Those who said there is no valid alternatives were right ^^

Let's hope Archeage will bring new flavours for the future..in the meantime, I know how to invest my time *grins*

• Mists of Pandaria is basically Ultima Online redone.

Okay now I need a surgeon to glue my face back together.

• apb2011apb2011 Member UncommonPosts: 168
    try Link Realms
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Can always try out Vanguard, it has a mix of sand box and themepark. You can say a UO / EQ hybrid.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

I have to disagree, there are quite a few games with better PvE than RIFT.

I'm not saying RIFT isn't a great game, because I think it is and that Trion is an amazing studio, but I always found the PvE content to be rather lackluster, rifting being the exception. I really like participating in the rifts themselves.

The entire Diablo franchise is a good start.

What?

Are you familar with the saying "you make your own luck"? The same applies to communities in online gaming. I've never had a problem finding a solid community in ANY mmorpg released over the course of the last decade.

Yes, you will always find the scum of the earth type individuals who's sole purpose is to make your gaming experience as unpleasant as possible, that is simply unavoidable when anonymity is involved. That having been said, those types are a minority, not a majority, and good communities exist (and prosper) in every mmorpg currently available.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Have heard good things about Vanguard as well...
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Hi gamerZ,

after many years of offline rpg playing, I decided to kill  my social life jumping again in some online rpg. I got pretty fast very addicted..but you know how it works isnt? ^^

I played ultima online for over 5 years and had amazing times! I never was a big PVPer but I loved to PvM, guild, and escpecially the champion spawn, the doom gauntled, the artifact, the time spent to increase your skills and finally being able to tame a dragon, the social life around britain bank, the player runned vendors, the houses to visit across the world.

I made a big selection between games, checking carefully the Game List on this site, and at the end I choosed to start playing Rift. (The alternative was Archage Online, but it's still quiet far from release)

The graphic is amazing, the system complex and satisfying, a lot of skills that reminds my of UO, and the battle system, especially on rifts, is also great. The world is so huge, and soon with the new expansion will be the biggest fantasy world of internet ;) I tought..wow,  I've found the perfect game..but after a few weeks playing, I start missing something.

The social part is ok, but not so much like I remembered. A cold Acution House, no player spamming around selling stuff, or asking to join for a dungeon adventure or else.

In UO I loved the collect rarities (spawn only every week, or month, or year, and some were also UNIQUE, one single item in the whole world!), dirty expensive artifacts, and veteran rewards. In Rift I can't find any of this - the list of RARE items are more than 400, and they spawn constantly. I would not call them "rares"...and I've seen no evidence of UNIQUE items..or Am i Wrong?

I think you got what I am looking for..a mmorpg with a nice social interaction, with true rewards or rares/unique items to hunt, seek, buy and , if possible, with non-instanced housing system (this is asking much...Archage will be agian the answer).

I've seen RaiderZ it's coming out soon, and could possibly be a valid alternative. Anyway I'm not looking for a brand new mmorpg with extreme good graphic, also something released in the past years is ok.

Thanks a lot for reading and your suggestions ;)

When you hit level 50 in rift the social side changed from what i saw. Dunno if you are already level 50? But when you get access to the level 50 chat channel there is a lot of people trying to form groups for dungeons and stuff. Quite a lot of raid groups being formed in chat as well. There is a lot more endgame item trading seen in the chat too, not spamming trade like it was in AC, EQ and UO.. but more 1 on 1 trading than you will see 1-49.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AndurinAndurin Member UncommonPosts: 125

Darkfall is the closest  thing that you are going to get and it's about to re-launch with a new server so you would be on even footing with the rest of the playerbase.

It has housing, player vendors and rares that you can hunt for and display in your house.  

It is a pvp heavy game but it has crafting that is almost identical to old school uo crafting.  I know PvP isn't your thing but it's worth a look for someone that loved UO.  

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Mortal Online! lol...I can't stop laughing.

BUMP! lol

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

jumping again in some online rpg.

There aren't any of those any more.  We just have MMOs.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Guild Wars 2 offers a great PvE experience. Lots of exploration...was swimming in Divinity's Reach (there is a "hidden" entrance to a sewer)...and found a chest with some items in it. But that was cool, near the end it offered an amazing view of the collapsed area.

Probably best PvE MMO you'll find, that isn't UO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

DAMN YOU TRAMMIE! DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!!

Actually, I have been considering hopping back into UO to give Siege Perilous a run. Though some of the expansions sound absolutely abysmal to me. With all the current games and their lack of content, exploration, decent PvP system and all that goodness, its kind of weird to go back to a game I haven't played in so long.

I know some other older and newer games are pretty decent too, but many just don't suit my flavour. DAOC was ruined with TOA for me, Vanguard never really captured me for some reason, but I will be giving it another go as well. None of the new games have any depth. GW2 is small, simple and predictable, has lame exploration. I only explore to find what I am being told I am missing, which is kind of lame. If you already know it exists, its not really exploring. Perpetuum feels empty, but I will keep at it for a bit more. TSW has very little content and they forgot to add end game (or make sure there was no end game which is more appropriate), Tera was fun for 3 weeks. I could go on and on. 

Ahwell, said it many times before, things have to get worse before they get better. I honestly feel MMO's are at, or near rock bottom. Circling the drain so to speak. Which is great because something with innovation should come out within the next few years I hope! Kind of a shame to see so many people on these forums clamouring for more of the same even though they dislike most of the games out... plus the one guy who thinks Diablo 3 is gods answer to MMO's for some really, really messed up reason.

I am also interested in Raiderz even though I know it'll be P2W.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Icewhite

jumping again in some online rpg.

There aren't any of those any more.  We just have MMOs.

Too true :-(

• VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    GreedMonger and Origins of Malu seam promising.  Both are still in development though.