Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Secret World: Brand New Combat Feature to be Revealed

124»

Comments

• OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    curious as they said never before seen combat feature.. the description sound pretty much the same as STO.. and the fact it's toggable similar to STO shooter mode.. chainsaw sounds fun though and hopefully animation update is significant

They didn't say it.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=59935&page=2

More likely they said it "behind the scenes" to mmorpg.com, and now can claim they never said it because they never said it publically.

I doubt Suzie made up the topic:

Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

This Friday at 4pm EDT, The Secret World's Game Director Joel Bylos will be joined by Lead Coder Øystein Eftevaag and Art Producer Davide Tabacco.  The trio will be livestreaming exclusively on MMORPG.com's Twitch Channel. The topic? A brand new, never before seen combat feature.  Be sure to tune in at 4pm EDT (1pm PDT) to see one of the biggest changes coming to The Secret World.  

Join us this Friday on the MMORPG.com stream channel!

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I'd come back to the game in a heartbeat if the "feature" was a total reworking of combat skills so that fighting mobs didn't take forever and feel so repetative...

Take for ever? are you kidding me, you must have a bad build, thats the problem to many people are used to game like WOW where it takes no brains to set up your build, TSW you need to think a bit to get a good build, I have no issues killing anything..

Get some builds  online somewhere and use it...

Yeah, I heard that a lot, and there might be some truth to it.  I played an AR build, with some FIST hots thrown in.  At first, it was mostly healing stuff, because I've always liked healing groups.  Running through the first instance was fun, but killing mobs got really tedious, even in the first zone.

I figured it was just due to having a healing-heavy build, so I rand through all of the Kingsmouth quests again, and invested points into the combat sides of AR, and got gear related to damage instead of healing.  The end result is it I didn't feel like I was killing stuff any faster.  Even still, Kingsmouth was ok, even despite the slow combat speed, but it was the next zone that really made me quit.  I'd spend 20 to 30 seconds spamming the same couple of buttons over and over again just to kill the single mob pulls.  Group pulls were more fun, since I could use AoE abilites and maybe throw in a hot ot something.

So could it be that the AR line is just crap?  Maybe so.  At that stage of the game, it's not like the possible "builds" were all that varied though.  I had a DPS focused build, and a healing build, neither of which seemed to make combat more fun.

Lastly, some people were telling me that it gets better and more fun at the end game because you have access to all the best skills and variety, etc.  That is probably the worst justification though, because what's the point of advertising hundreds of skills if only a small subset are actually useful and available only at the later stages of the game?

I loved the atmosphere, aside from a few examples of crappy dialogue by writers that came off as 6 year olds trying their hardest to write "mature" content (most notably in the Illuminati faction).  I just couldn't enjoy the combat.

You make me like charity

• RandaynRandayn Sellersville, PAPosts: 883Member Uncommon
    I'd come back to the game in a heartbeat if the "feature" was a total reworking of combat skills so that fighting mobs didn't take forever and feel so repetative...

Take for ever? are you kidding me, you must have a bad build, thats the problem to many people are used to game like WOW where it takes no brains to set up your build, TSW you need to think a bit to get a good build, I have no issues killing anything..

Yeah, I heard that a lot, and there might be some truth to it.  I played an AR build, with some FIST hots thrown in.  At first, it was mostly healing stuff, because I've always liked healing groups.  Running through the first instance was fun, but killing mobs got really tedious, even in the first zone.

I figured it was just due to having a healing-heavy build, so I rand through all of the Kingsmouth quests again, and invested points into the combat sides of AR, and got gear related to damage instead of healing.  The end result is it I didn't feel like I was killing stuff any faster.  Even still, Kingsmouth was ok, even despite the slow combat speed, but it was the next zone that really made me quit.  I'd spend 20 to 30 seconds spamming the same couple of buttons over and over again just to kill the single mob pulls.  Group pulls were more fun, since I could use AoE abilites and maybe throw in a hot ot something.

So could it be that the AR line is just crap?  Maybe so.  At that stage of the game, it's not like the possible "builds" were all that varied though.  I had a DPS focused build, and a healing build, neither of which seemed to make combat more fun.

Lastly, some people were telling me that it gets better and more fun at the end game because you have access to all the best skills and variety, etc.  That is probably the worst justification though, because what's the point of advertising hundreds of skills if only a small subset are actually useful and available only at the later stages of the game?

I loved the atmosphere, aside from a few examples of crappy dialogue by writers that came off as 6 year olds trying their hardest to write "mature" content (most notably in the Illuminati faction).  I just couldn't enjoy the combat.

I had the same issue going to the second area from Kingsmouth.  Re-rolled and tied all my active skills to my passives and created a "synergy" between them....i.e. if I had actives or passives that caused weaken, I would find other passives/actives that would increase my hit rate when hit by a weakened target.  I would concentrate on evade gear and evade actives in order for my passive (when evade cause weakness and when evade increase hit and when evade cause extra damage)

It's not just putting a bunch of damage oriented skills out, it's not just putting +attack gear on but both at the same time.  The idea is to build synergy through gear, active skills and passives, so that every action you make causes a ripple effect as a result of your other equipped skills.

When you get that setup, come back and tell us how you kill everything in sight and never die.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by Randayn

I had the same issue going to the second area from Kingsmouth.  Re-rolled and tied all my active skills to my passives and created a "synergy" between them....i.e. if I had actives or passives that caused weaken, I would find other passives/actives that would increase my hit rate when hit by a weakened target.  I would concentrate on evade gear and evade actives in order for my passive (when evade cause weakness and when evade increase hit and when evade cause extra damage)

It's not just putting a bunch of damage oriented skills out, it's not just putting +attack gear on but both at the same time.  The idea is to build synergy through gear, active skills and passives, so that every action you make causes a ripple effect as a result of your other equipped skills.

When you get that setup, come back and tell us how you kill everything in sight and never die.

To be honest, I haven't been sub'd for a few months now.  I plan on trying again early next year, after giving Funcom some time to work out some of the kinks.

That said, my build was pretty heavy on synergy, and I'm by no means new to the min/max mentality of creating a good character.  I can't tell you off the top of my head what my build was, since it's been a while, but I know the issue wasn't at all one of survivability.  I pretty much never died (aside from boredom), but I also didn't feel like I was doing a lot of damage either.  It just felt like mobs had about 30% more health than they really needed, which meant fights would drag out 30% longer for no real reason.  The fights weren't engaging or difficult; just long.  It was also more of an issue on the single mob pulls, due to their overall toughness.  Unfortunately, I couldn't walk 20 feet without having to deal with one such pull.

You make me like charity

124»