Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 a.m. It hit me what bothers me lol

Comments

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The irony on these last pages is thick. Here you have a guy who admits he doen't like GW2, and who has been accused of having a closed mind. He then takes up the challenge and offers to keep an open mind by playing the game from start to finish but his gesture is rejected. He's not even given the benefit of the doubt even just enough to accept the possibility that he could change his mind. If GW2 is the great game it's made out to be, then this is reasonably plauseable is it not?

Let me ask, who are the one's showing the closed mind here?

+1

I have realised over the weeks that irony is something these GW2 defenders are completely oblivious to.

This. Both of them. I have never seen such undying loyalty to a game. No matter what is presented to them, they come up with something to the contrary. Look at what was said about SWTOR. They would post the xfire numbers daily and tout them as the end of the game and say how relevant they were. When the same is done with the GW2 numbers, since they have dropped even faster than SWTOR, they now say they are irrelevant. I don't think GW2 is a bad game, but I realize it has some serious flaws. I enjoy playing it, but it is more of an actiony console game than an MMO or a RPG.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

The irony on these last pages is thick. Here you have a guy who admits he doen't like GW2, and who has been accused of having a closed mind. He then takes up the challenge and offers to keep an open mind by playing the game from start to finish but his gesture is rejected. He's not even given the benefit of the doubt even just enough to accept the possibility that he could change his mind. If GW2 is the great game it's made out to be, then this is reasonably plauseable is it not?

+1

I have realised over the weeks that irony is something these GW2 defenders are completely oblivious to.

It is also very ironic since the same person was arguing absolute statements about some mechanics without trying the mechanics in the game.

So he will either have a change of heart and then admit he was wrong (which isn't easy even in friendly environments and internet forums are from it) or he will say he was right from the start and people will say he just went to justify his pre conceived opinion.

But more important than him changing or not his opinion is the fact we are arguing about opinions and personal tastes.

I knew I would like GW2 - I enjoyed GW1 and the path Anet followed pretty much was in line with my view of things that should be changed (note, I don't agree with everything and think GW2 can have many of its systems improved, expendaded or even changed).

And then people see what they want to see.

One of the complains I read about GW2 is that the classes are all the same since they don't have a distint group role, they are all hybrid DPS/Support.

But it is the same people that have no problem in having a Warrior DPS, a Mage, a Warlock, a Rogue, a DPS DK or a warrior tank, a paladin tank, a druid tank.

I mean, Mage and Warlocks are magic DPS, if the type of skills they use make them feel unique it is a double standard saying GW2 classes aren't unique due to different skill usage.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

+1

It is also very ironic since the same person was arguing absolute statements about some mechanics without trying the mechanics in the game.

So he will either have a change of heart and then admit he was wrong (which isn't easy even in friendly environments and internet forums are from it) or he will say he was right from the start and people will say he just went to justify his pre conceived opinion.

But more important than him changing or not his opinion is the fact we are arguing about opinions and personal tastes.

I knew I would like GW2 - I enjoyed GW1 and the path Anet followed pretty much was in line with my view of things that should be changed (note, I don't agree with everything and think GW2 can have many of its systems improved, expendaded or even changed).

And then people see what they want to see.

One of the complains I read about GW2 is that the classes are all the same since they don't have a distint group role, they are all hybrid DPS/Support.

But it is the same people that have no problem in having a Warrior DPS, a Mage, a Warlock, a Rogue, a DPS DK or a warrior tank, a paladin tank, a druid tank.

I mean, Mage and Warlocks are magic DPS, if the type of skills they use make them feel unique it is a double standard saying GW2 classes aren't unique due to different skill usage.

It's not so hard to admit you are wrong.

Prior to GW2 release, I was an adamant anti-Cash Shop hater and I was convinced GW2 was going to release with a WTF surprise cash shop reveal that was going to piss off tons of players. I was 100% convinced. I was 100% wrong. 

I'm still an adamant anti cash shop nay sayer, but GW2's is not P2W and I was surprised but not above admitting that.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Its true there are a ton of GW2 fans and a lot of fanboism regarding this game. To be fair it isn't completely the GW2 communities fault. There are a ton of trolls and troll threads out there that at this point everyone is just annoyed. However having said that you cannot fault people for not agreeing because they are biased, tis the way of the world.

Edit: Sorry if this is OT, if it helps I got the same feeling you did OP at like 2 am as well, I logged in and was like....hmmm another chain of DE's with random people. I wonder how MOP is right now rofl.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by ZigZags

The game is WoW without the difficulty and sense of achievement. That's why. Like i've said 10000 times before. Its a theme park released in an age where there are already better theme parks...

GW2 is like the Knotts Berry Farms of MMOs. It sucks and Id rather just go to Disneyland.

You forgot the part where GW2 plays nothing like WoW or other WoW-clones. Seriously, have you even played the game?

you GW2 fanatics have got to stop kidding yourselves....GW2 plays just like WOW until you get in a dungeon...then it plays like WoW but without the great strategy involved in WoW dungeons...why?  you ask....because it can't.

(as an aside, Ill admit that WoW is terribly easy....Im talking more about vanilla wow raids/dungeons and throw in Ulduar for fun.

This is just the obvious example.  The fact that you are so blind to the MASSIVE differences GW2 has from WoW is proof enough that you are 1 of 2 things.  

The first is that you are so close minded by your negative bias that you can't see the incredibly obvious differences between these two MMO's.  This could be that you have such an unhealthy hatred for this game, for whatever reason, that you have to openly demean it to being a copycat of what is already popular.  This why no matter what you say, your going to forever be close minded to GW2's potential and are going to continue to unjustly hate on it no matter how embaressingly ignorant you sound.

[mod edit]

And yes I read your post after this one attempting to justify this bold and ignorant statement, and it was just as silly.

Can't you make your point w/o doing this?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by bcbully

The game is WoW without the difficulty and sense of achievement. That's why. Like i've said 10000 times before. Its a theme park released in an age where there are already better theme parks...

GW2 is like the Knotts Berry Farms of MMOs. It sucks and Id rather just go to Disneyland.

You forgot the part where GW2 plays nothing like WoW or other WoW-clones. Seriously, have you even played the game?

you GW2 fanatics have got to stop kidding yourselves....GW2 plays just like WOW until you get in a dungeon...then it plays like WoW but without the great strategy involved in WoW dungeons...why?  you ask....because it can't.

(as an aside, Ill admit that WoW is terribly easy....Im talking more about vanilla wow raids/dungeons and throw in Ulduar for fun.

This is just the obvious example.  The fact that you are so blind to the MASSIVE differences GW2 has from WoW is proof enough that you are 1 of 2 things.  

The first is that you are so close minded by your negative bias that you can't see the incredibly obvious differences between these two MMO's.  This could be that you have such an unhealthy hatred for this game, for whatever reason, that you have to openly demean it to being a copycat of what is already popular.  This why no matter what you say, your going to forever be close minded to GW2's potential and are going to continue to unjustly hate on it no matter how embaressingly ignorant you sound.

[mod edit]

And yes I read your post after this one attempting to justify this bold and ignorant statement, and it was just as silly.

I agree bc...when they get backed into a corner, they scratch and claw...

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Yamota

[mod edit]

What massive differences? Both games belong under the sub-genre of ThemePark. Sure there are differences in the way you get and do quests and the combat is hybrid TAB target where as in WoW is full TAB targetted but fundamentally the two games are the same. I.e. linear, casual, class and quest based with PvP as a sideshow.

As for not being able to be unique in ThemePark games, that is nonsense. That is just another similarity between the two games and just a way for devs to make it easier to balance the two games. In GW 2, for any one class, every character can have every single activable skill and the only differences comes from the passive traits.

But that is nothing inherent for ThemeParks, it is just that it makes it easier for devs to balance as they have less variables to worry about. 

In GW 2 this could be easy to amend by having a larger skill pool, like in GW 2, and from that a great variety of combinations would arise.

Yes and Starcraft  and Crysis are both in the scifi genre; Therefore there are no differences between the two, right? I think the point that you are missing is this: The games are different, very different. To deny this is to deny logic. It's nearly impossible to look at these two games and not see that they are different. Their lore, gameplay, art, graphic fidelity, combat, pvp, and numerous other features are all different.

Let me rephrase this for you. They are both games, yes. They are both MMORPG's, yes. They are both fantasy-steampunk hybrid MMORPG's, yes. They both have the majority of qualities that define an MMORPG, yes. Many features are similar in what their function produces, yes, but the functions themselves are different. In most cases, very different.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I agree bc...when they get backed into a corner, they scratch and claw...

I don't agree with personal attacks.. but whenever I catch someone in a lie or when they obviously are spreading misinformation on this site I generally get no reply or a "fair enough" response...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by bcbully

[mod edit]

I was accused of being closed minded for criticizing the game as well. If that means anything. If anything, I think I am more open minded. That allows me to see the flaws. Ahh well.

I was accused of being closed minded for criticizing the game as well. If that means anything. If anything, I think I am more open minded. That allows me to see the flaws. Ahh well.

you were called closed minded for saying there is no possible way for GW2 to do complex encounters and raids, and that people aren't capable of coordinating together in a non- trinity format to overcome these challenges.. to me that seems pretty closed minded way of looking at things.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

you were called closed minded for saying there is no possible way for GW2 to do complex encounters and raids, and that people aren't capable of coordinating together in a non- trinity format to overcome these challenges.. to me that seems pretty closed minded way of looking at things.

I agree. i'm sure plenty of GW2 players can give their accounts of their gameplay experiences in which they worked with their team to achieve certain goals and overcome challenges.

To you closed minded is anyone who doesn't see GW2 in it's perfection. To say the current system is limited is an observation. It's the way I currently see it. That has nothing to do with whether I refuse to see any potential for a change.  But I've admiteed in the past when I was wrong, and I am capable of doing it here too. I just haven't seen where I am wrong yet. So, Closed minded? No.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Nobody said that people aren't capable, it is that they don't have a reason to in GW2 outside of dungeons.......

To you closed minded is anyone who doesn't see GW2 in it's perfection. To say the current system is limited is an observation. It's the way I currently see it. That has nothing to do with whether I refuse to see any potential for a change.  

i don't see GW2 anywhere close to perfection so how would that make any sense at all?

To you closed minded is anyone who doesn't see GW2 in it's perfection. To say the current system is limited is an observation. It's the way I currently see it. That has nothing to do with whether I refuse to see any potential for a change.  

i don't see GW2 anywhere close to perfection so how would that make any sense at all?

Then why do you feel it so necessary to "educate" people who criticize this game to the extreme that you do?

Many have come forward and made legitimate complaints, cited known issues, or posted well thought out critiques. But couldn't fly on these boards, those peopel MUST be made to see the light......Or be called closed minded.

Then why do you feel it so necessary to "educate" people who criticize this game to the extreme that you do?

someone needs to balance some of the misinformed and some of the people posting off of false misconceptions and other peoples heresay:)(also bored at work).. yes this game has a lot of issues as does any other game but the constant bashing by the same people over and over is pretty tiring.. but sure you have no problem with them because they are being "critical". When I see blanket statements like this game has no endgame or this game has no reasons to paly or this game sucks because it has no stat based gear grind, or it sucks because after i played 300 hours I'm bored, or it sucks because it has no quest hubs or no trinity.. i mean really what did people expect? Game has had more info out about it long before release than any MMO i can ever think of and yet still somehow people are "surprised" about core aspects of the game.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

They say you can't fix stupid. But some of us will sure as hell try.

No Im not saying that anyone that criticizes GW2 is stupid. It has its flaws, and simply doesnt appeal to some people, which is why I quit like 2 weeks ago. But I definitely do see a LOT of stupid in some of the posts, usually from people who never even played it and just go off what people say in forums, or who think WoW is the pinnacle of gaming at its finest. This applies to a lot of games though. GW2 just happens to be the most active one at the moment, so it stands out.

someone needs to balance some of the misinformed and some of the people posting off of false misconceptions and other peoples heresay:)(also bored at work).. yes this game has a lot of issues as does any other game but the constant bashing by the same people over and over is pretty tiring.. but sure you have no problem with them because they are being "critical". When I see blanket statements like this game has no endgame or this game has no reasons to paly or this game sucks because it has no stat based gear grind, or it sucks because after i played 300 hours I'm bored, or it sucks because it has no quest hubs or no trinity.. i mean really what did people expect? Game has had more info out about it long before release than any MMO i can ever think of and yet still somehow people are "surprised" about core aspects of the game.

You almost made sense there. You almost had a fully rational and well thought out objective post......except of that one little personal dig. This is what I'm talking about. It's personal isnt it?

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

You know everytime I read something to see if I could get into GW2 I see you ramming your views and opinion about the game down poeples throat and how stupid other people are for not liking the same things you do.  It really turns me off from the game, I really wish you would give your mouth or maybe fingers in this case a rest. I'm pretty sure everyone that frequents these forums is aware by now how much you like this game.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

You almost made sense there. You almost had a fully rational and well thought out objective post......except of that one little personal dig. This is what I'm talking about. It's personal isnt it?

no but many seem not to able to distinguish between being "critical" and just bashing for the sake of bashing.  good example forgot who but not long ago someone posted their review of GW2 it was long and littered with completely false(not opinions) so called "facts" about GW2 then a stream of people post "i agree with everything the OP said" just because the post was long and bashing the game.. it's one thing to have an opinion and say I don't enjoy what GW2 offeres for endgame because xyz or sPVP doesn't feel like it has enough to offer because of xyz instead of what we always see which is GW2 has no endgame and sPVP sucks because it's pointless.

And the 100 million dollar question.. why do I care? I really don't but mostly bored at work and like talking about MMOs... GW2 just happens to be the best one out right now imho

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

You know everytime I read something to see if I could get into GW2 I see you ramming your views and opinion about the game down poeples throat and how stupid other people are for not liking the same things you do.  It really turns me off from the game, I really wish you would give your mouth or maybe fingers in this case a rest. I'm pretty sure everyone that frequents these forums is aware by now how much you like this game.

What Aerowyn said wasn't opinions, it was an argument. Feel free to put forth a counter-argument.

There is nothing wrong with not liking GW2 and telling people, however you have to give reasons why and then back them up with facts.

The same goes for liking GW2 too. If someone says  "OMG this game is the best" but gives no rationale as to why it is the best then they might as well just be quiet.

For example:

Randayn claimed that GW2 plays like WoW but gave absolutely no factual evidence to support this claim. Furthermore, Randayn did not bother to counter the facts I used to show that GW2 and WoW have vastly different gameplay.

Continuing the trend, GeezerGamer claimed taht in GW2 you could just look at mobs' castbar as you can in WoW when that is completely false since there is no enemy castbars in GW2. When confronted about this inaccuracy he changed his tune to say he meant to say "red rings" instead of castbar, which is funny because there is also no such in GW2 either.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

What Aerowyn said wasn't opinions, it was an argument. Feel free to put forth a counter-argument.

There is nothing wrong with not liking GW2 and telling people, however you have to give reasons why and then back them up with facts.

The same goes for liking GW2 too. If someone says  "OMG this game is the best" but gives no rationale as to why it is the best then they might as well just be quiet.

Oh come on.  This is a gaming forum for god's sake.  This is not a court of law.

Originally posted by grimal

Oh come on.  This is a gaming forum for god's sake.  This is not a court of law.

true BUT like the posting conduct for the forum say if you want to be critical about a game you do need to give reasons..

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

true BUT like the posting conduct for the forum say if you want to be critical about a game you do need to give reasons..

Yes but he gave his reasons.  You two obviously don't see eye to eye.  Fine.  But this...this...it's just getting to the ridiculous point here.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by grimal

Nobody is forcing you to put forth a compelling argument, but don't expect to be taken seriously if you can't even be bothered to give reasons as to why your point of view is valid.