Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is no one talking about this?

124»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Almost all the best MMOs started small and grew.

Ultima Online was on a shoestring budget with barely any devs.

Dark Age of Camelot was funded from Mythic's experience with MUDs.

EverQuest was entirely self funded.

Eve started from nothing and grew to be the second most successful MMO on the market.

The point is, if the game is good, and the people making it are smart and experienced, it will grow. Minecraft started off as a browser based alpha game. Word of mouth helped turned it into what it is, and it was made by ONE person.

This is indeed a modest sum to make an MMO out of, but almost all the good MMOs were made on modest sums. The game is getting made either way, the Kickstarter is just to make better.

Your point is essentially correct.  Most good games started out smaller and grew, however how small is debatable, many good games started out huge and fell to more realisic populations.  A couple clarifiers though.  I don't know who made UO or Daoc (meaning if there was a parent company) but EQ was made by 989 studios later called verant which always a subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment America later called SOE. 

Eve is played on a world market, yes even in China on Serinity.  As it's on the world market it should be compared to other games on the world market.  It is not 2nd most successfull MMO on the market, not by a long shot.

All MMOs are played on the world market, and generally when people talk about MMO success on this site, they're talking about the West, else WoW wouldn't be the top dog at all.

Verant was created to make EQ, and it had start up funding, but not much. It was a very small idea that attracted interest through E3, in the same way UO did. The need for a huge investment up front is actually getting SMALLER as time goes on, due to the fact that the tech is already proved. You don't need 500k to experiment and seek out bleeding edge technology and servers. Tech has caught up to the ambition. Now more or less the most expensive thing to do are graphics, which is EXACTLY what this kickstarter is for.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Creative people use kickstarter for big free monies.... just saying.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Creative people use kickstarter for big free monies.... just saying.

I guess people fear what they don't understand...

They cannot legally get "free monies". Kickstarter has a lot of lawyers.

Its like we're back in the days when everyone was afraid to buy stuff with their credit card online... dark ages here again.

But no, keep on ignoring the fact that dozens of products have been funded and produced via Kickstarter.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by AdamTM

One could think that your 15$ are the equivalent of the total GNP of the USA the way you would disect the investors and projects.

Its called disposable income for a reason.

Sorry, I don't consider any of my money "disposable".

I expect a return on every one of my dollars. Whether it be a product or service, I will recieve something for my cash.

I don't give money for "maybes" and 'promises" and "feature lists".

Will I give to charity? Of course. I've given to food banks, shelters, etc.

"Game developers" are not a recognized charity nor am I willing to donate to them as such.

We get it. You are broke and also do not understant the concept of Venture Capital. It isn't about charity. It is about risk taking in order to obtain potential rewards at the most early beginnings of a project. With investing this means money. With a kickstart program it means some bonuses included with your pledge and the potential of a game being developed you may very well be interested in.

It is risk. Nobody here would suggest otherwise. It is obvious you don't get it. Even if you did and are not interested then why even post here? You have nothing to offer ... leave.

For those interested in the game or even just development process (like me but I also love the ideas behind the game) please read all of the many blogs @ http://www.eldergame.com/ . There is a facebook worth looking over to see why others like the game concept @ http://www.facebook.com/GorgonMMO . I have also requested that Mmorpg.com creates general forum for the game if only to discuss ideas in general. Honestly there is more info about this potential game available than most other higher profile kickstarters recently. I dare anyone to show any of the major mmo developers out there listing anything close to the many original ideas offered through the blogs (along with interesting general insights into mmo concepts and development by these professional developers .. well mostly Eric).

Obiously the game is the definition of an indie-project but even a small number of fans can support it simply through discussion if not a little money.

You stay sassy!

• rimaxo14rimaxo14 Member Posts: 118
    hell ya get em this god damn website is nothing but a bunch of trolling cry and whine about this and bash everyone possible not a single positive thing on this site anymore. fucking people around here make us mmo gamers have a bad rep.

EVGA FTW-3 MOBO X58
    EVGA GTX 580
    G.SKILL RIPJAW 12GB
    INTEL I7 950
    CORSAIR H70 CPU COOLER
    CORSAIR 1200W 80+GOLD

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't like kickstarter.. this is the gaming industry reduced to begging for money. It's begging...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Originally posted by Vannor

I don't like kickstarter.. this is the gaming industry reduced to begging for money. It's begging...

But when a big publisher does it, it's a preorder?  I know there is the whole refundable difference, but indies preselling their games makes games happen that wouldn't have because they wouldn't have found an investor.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

One could think that your 15$ are the equivalent of the total GNP of the USA the way you would disect the investors and projects.

I expect a return on every one of my dollars. Whether it be a product or service, I will recieve something for my cash.

"Game developers" are not a recognized charity nor am I willing to donate to them as such.

It must be a pain to live like that.

Researching the chocolate chip cookies, their manufacturer, their distributor, graphics designers and the governmental body that manages sanitation at their plant.

/ad absurdum

Seriously though, you can't tell me you have the same "care" for money on everything. Well, you can, but I wouldn't believe you, or, giving you the benefit of the doubt, believe you and conclude you suffer from OCD.

You playing the grumpy old daddy-figure that "teaches" us the value of money is laughable.

Everyone knows the value money (or anything else) has for them, its not universal, there isn't a base line, take an economy class.

Get of my laaaawn.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Very interesting to say the least. It doesnt looke like it will get its goal but i wish the best for them. With all these indie mmos getting started there is SOME hope for the future. If any indie mmo devs read this. DONT RELEASE THE GAME TO EARLY! that was DF and MOs problem...

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Researching the chocolate chip cookies, their manufacturer, their distributor, graphics designers and the governmental body that manages sanitation at their plant.

/ad absurdum

Seriously though, you can't tell me you have the same "care" for money on everything. Well, you can, but I wouldn't believe you, or, giving you the benefit of the doubt, believe you and conclude you suffer from OCD.

You playing the grumpy old daddy-figure that "teaches" us the value of money is laughable.

Everyone knows the value money (or anything else) has for them, its not universal, there isn't a base line, take an economy class.

Get of my laaaawn.

At least I have a lawn and my chocolate chip cookies that I've purchased with my non-disposable money. I even expect to get my pennies back when I make a purchase at the local convenience store. The store isn't a charity. These developers aren't charities. When they have  product that I can receive when I put my money in their hands I'll give them a look-see. Until then? Not one red copper plated zinc cent.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by Loke666

If you’re on fire and near a lake, jump in the lake to put the fire out!

This part really is something I wondered about in most games, it should be easy to implement... And why doesnt the weather affect spells for that matter? One would think that fire and electrical spells would work better a warm sunny summer day than a rainy autumn day.

But frankly do I think we need a lot more info before investing in this or getting hyped about it. The information seemed a bit short. *It might be an interesting game but it is hard to tell right now.

Vindictus already did this whole "you are fire jump in a lake to put it out." It works really well as a mechanic in the dragon raids.

/ad absurdum

Get of my laaaawn.

You don't seem to grasp what i'm saying.

I don't have to research the goddamn chocolate chip cookies because they're right there, in the store in front of me, ready for purchase and consumption.

I don't go to the cashier and hand her $3.99 for some cookies that don't exist yet but  are supposed to be really great when they finally get on the shelf 2 years from now.

And you don't understand a reductio ad absurdum.

I get what you are saying, I just think its stupid, because you are conflating purchase, charity, investment, and other economic concepts into one and think its ok to tell people to treat all of them exactly the same in their value-assessment.

The risk between (unknown) chocolate chip cookies for 3.99$ on the shelf, and promised ones in 3 years is exactly the same. You don't know what you get before you open the packaging and you can't return them when opened.

If the ones from the shelf are shit, you don't consume them and hence have lost 3.99$.

If the promised ones never arrive, you don't consume them and have lost 3.99$.

Would you feel better for your "investment" that you have shitty chocolate chip cookies on your shelf (instead of not having any at all) that you will never eat? Is your feeling of "being cheated" only if you don't get something, so you don't feel cheated that a company put out shitty chocolate chip cookies?

Will not having something influence your purchase decission in the future any other way than with sub-quality products (i.e. not buying from that particular manufacturer again)?

Will you eat the shitty chocolate chip cookies -anyways- no matter of quality or if they are fit for purpose, just because you spent 3.99$ on it? What exactly is your problem with the risk assessment?

Or is it solely the problem that you cant have the cookies RIGHT NOW?

And thats even without considering that we are talking about an ad absurdum.

Originally posted by Grunty

/ad absurdum

Get of my laaaawn.

At least I have a lawn and my chocolate chip cookies that I've purchased with my non-disposable money. I even expect to get my pennies back when I make a purchase at the local convenience store. The store isn't a charity. These developers aren't charities. When they have  product that I can receive when I put my money in their hands I'll give them a look-see. Until then? Not one red copper plated zinc cent.

And thats absolutely fine. Good for you. Be my guest and conduct your business with your money any way you want.

But don't pontificate at me about how I, or anyone else, should or shouldn't act or how valuable your money should be to -me-.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    I guess this thread will live longer than the goddamn game. 14 days to go. o.O
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Originally posted by Quirhid

You made me click the link. I hate you.

• jagd241jagd241 Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

The opposite is true for this. It has a very clear and manageable goal, and its by someone who is knowledgable about the subject. 

This is why I threw in $10.  The biggest problem with MMOs - wether Indie or Corporate are overpromising and underdelivering - with Vanguard as Exhibit A.   SOE tells us that they'll be delivering the world's biggest sandbox MMO after only two years of real development (they restarted development last year and it is supposed to be delivered by next year).  There's just no way.  These guys are delivering what they can: no raiding or PvP to start, 4 skill trees and a race cut, and a focus on emergent gameplay.   Yeah the graphics suck - but that's what the kickstarter is for.