Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why so empty? :/

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
beta is so empty. but why?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    console MMO's suck
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Because the whole world is playing GW2 of course! Right?
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

Eve PC only and a tad niche, DUST 514 console only, and to further gimp the process Playstation only, meant to join up PC players and Playstation players into a single server/universe.

Whoever the ideas team is for CCP who not only got this turd of an idea to float, they also managed to divert nearly all CCp cash flow onto themselves and nearly brought the company down, has got to go in some special hall of honor.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Because the whole world is playing GW2 of course! Right?

I dont play GW2... So no not the whole world.

To answer to the op, if i dont play it it's because this is PS3 and not pc. Still if there are not a lot of people now maibe it's because this is closed beta and they didnt release so many key.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by kruler

Eve PC only and a tad niche, DUST 514 console only, and to further gimp the process Playstation only, meant to join up PC players and Playstation players into a single server/universe.

Whoever the ideas team is for CCP who not only got this turd of an idea to float, they also managed to divert nearly all CCp cash flow onto themselves and nearly brought the company down, has got to go in some special hall of honor.

Where did you get the information about CCP diverting >50% of its cashflow into Dust? Link?

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

This is indeed a risky move by CCP.

Outside of the mmorpg fan crowd (which is largely PC-based), they're virtually unknown. Very few console players will say "Oh, CCP is making a new game, let's check that out!"

That means they have next to no brand awareness going in... They're going to have to rely mostly on word of mouth - which only very solid gameplay can bring you. They have to just "nail" that FPS gameplay.

The thing is... What makes a FPS play well to the point of it breeding good word of mouth is so different than what makes an MMO play well. What's given EVE its long life is not how it "plays", it's more the concepts themselves. And FPSs live and die by pitch-perfect implementation and care little about novel concepts. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I got to try the game for the first time today.  I'm a fan of CoD games and I respect those who enjoy the Battlefield games.  This game however....just horrible.  The controls, the graphics, the character creator...all were just horribly implemented.  I uninstalled already and have written this game off.  I had high hopes, but if you are making a brand new FPS, you need to at least meet the standards of the top 2 FPS games out there, which they don't even come close to on this.  Ugh, so sad.
  • TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

well i got tired of it it is to unballenced if you desire you can make up a toon in time that can not be killed and thats just not fun to play against 

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

i quit playing comp mmos becaus ethey are all the same and got old and boring i went to counsel 

• COORSCOORS Member UncommonPosts: 353

Dust was a bad idea to begin with. It's hard to fathom how high level executives at CCP could have even for a second thought this was a valid project.

The company should have worked on plans to bring the Eve universe down to the planet level, not this insignificant console shooter that practically no one on the planet cares about.

Bad idea. Bad waste of company resources. This will not end well.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by COORS

Dust was a bad idea to begin with. It's hard to fathom how high level executives at CCP could have even for a second thought this was a valid project.

The company should have worked on plans to bring the Eve universe down to the planet level, not this insignificant console shooter that practically no one on the planet cares about.

Tell me how it was a bad idea?

Lets look at this from a CEO point of view.

-Single system requirments that EVERY system on the market matches, the PS3. 

-Single system OS that all match, PS3 OS.

-Single licenseing agency, Sony.

-No need to draw players away from our already popular PC based MMO Eve.

-Attempt to draw in players who do not have access to PCs, or prefer FPS on console (yes they do exist).

Now lets look at the first choice in more depth.

Single system specs, no need to program the game for low end system, or for someone running Linux, or on a computer built yesterday by Skynet.   Its a simple idea, one OS, one system, no need to worry much about optimizing on every concievable computer in history.

So tell me again why this is a bad idea?

So much crap, so little quality.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Because it's only on PS3.  The people I know that have a  PS3 use then for two things.  Sport games and glaying bluerays.  CCP really messed up on this one.  Why they would decide to take a route in which less than 25% of households in the US have a PS3 is mind boggleing.
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Hodo

-Attempt to draw in players who do not have access to PCs, or prefer FPS on console (yes they do exist).

Single system specs, no need to program the game for low end system, or for someone running Linux, or on a computer built yesterday by Skynet.   Its a simple idea, one OS, one system, no need to worry much about optimizing on every concievable computer in history.

PS3 only.. really bad idea.. nothing more to say.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    beta is so empty. but why?

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/ste2000/102012/23780_DUST-514-Biggest-commercial-mistake-ever

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    Because it's only on PS3.  The people I know that have a  PS3 use then for two things.  Sport games and glaying bluerays.  CCP really messed up on this one.  Why they would decide to take a route in which less than 25% of households in the US have a PS3 is mind boggleing.

Whilst I understand that American made maps have whole swathes marked "Here be dragons" but what there really is, is hundreds of other countries. In fact CCP are based in one of these mythical lands of fire and ice.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by elocke
    I got to try the game for the first time today.  I'm a fan of CoD games and I respect those who enjoy the Battlefield games.  This game however....just horrible.  The controls, the graphics, the character creator...all were just horribly implemented.  I uninstalled already and have written this game off.  I had high hopes, but if you are making a brand new FPS, you need to at least meet the standards of the top 2 FPS games out there, which they don't even come close to on this.  Ugh, so sad.

^^

This expresses my feelings exactly. I know its beta but its just bad. I played the game an entire 4 hours before uninstalling in anger. I woulda resubbed to EvE if I liked it too... oh well

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78

This was a bad idea because...Single console distribution is narrow minded in a game with a HUGE global player base. The Xbox accounts for at LEAST 35% of consoles and is a MICROSOFT console. XBOX live > PS3 network by far.

The concept of bringing in console gamers was okay but TBH many EVE players I have talked to are not excited by Dust 514. If CCP cannot get there existing player base excited about interacting with the console players and promoting the game then it is doomed to die a horrible death

1 Capsuleers opiinion.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by tank017
    console MMO's suck

This, and also because I cannot stand using a game controller on a shooter but that of course is my personal problem. I have no issue sucking on console shooters, but give me a keyboard and mouse and I will ghost your entire squad.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Whilst I understand that American made maps have whole swathes marked "Here be dragons" but what there really is, is hundreds of other countries. In fact CCP are based in one of these mythical lands of fire and ice.

56% of statistics are made up on the spot.  I seriously doubt even 25% of households have a gaming computer.

I play everything I can on PS3 WAYYYY before I sink to the level of using a mouse and keyboard.

If Dust isn't any good, it has nothing to do with it's platform, but in the 2 instances when I tried to play it during a beta window, it was nearly impossible to even get the game to load, so I gave up on it.

Not only that, but there's been NO media exposure targetted at ps3 users, and those that see it won't understand the tie-in.

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

really just a great post.  Insulting an enitre country for ignorance while suggesting its ok for a game designer to ignore the details of one of their biggest possible markets at the same time?  genius.

Originally posted by Jerek_

really just a great post.  Insulting an enitre country for ignorance while suggesting its ok for a game designer to ignore the details of one of their biggest possible markets at the same time?  genius.

I shall assume you mean every word as we all know Americans aren't very good at irony and sarcasm.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Odd but in reality the maps with "here be dragons" were mainly made by europians before America was discovered. Guess i'm missing some sarcasm or fine irony in your non-factual statement'

Heres a link though it kinda blows holes in your its a american thing arguement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

Originally posted by winter

Odd but in reality the maps with "here be dragons" were mainly made by europians before America was discovered. Guess i'm missing some sarcasm or fine irony in your non-factual statement'

Heres a link though it kinda blows holes in your its a american thing arguement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_be_dragons

I will see your wiki and raise you this.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqQdhMSEqhfg

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Thanks for the laugh. It is so true that we Americans forget we are not the center of the universe.

On topic. I too think PS3 only is a strange and baffling decision. I only fear that if Dust fails miserably we will never see World of Darkness.

Originally posted by Ravensworth

This was a bad idea because...Single console distribution is narrow minded in a game with a HUGE global player base. The Xbox accounts for at LEAST 35% of consoles and is a MICROSOFT console. XBOX live > PS3 network by far.

The concept of bringing in console gamers was okay but TBH many EVE players I have talked to are not excited by Dust 514. If CCP cannot get there existing player base excited about interacting with the console players and promoting the game then it is doomed to die a horrible death

1 Capsuleers opiinion.

Wikipedia states total worldwide XBox360 sales are 67m and PS3 sales are 64m. I own neither so am not invested in the result. If your stats include the old Xbox then the percentage does not conversely include the PS2 which is the Sony XBox equivalent.