Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: A One of a Kind Experience

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds and Syfy have teamed up to bring gamers and television viewers a one of a kind experience with Defiance. We had the opportunity to visit with the Defiance teams behind the show and the game. We've got a full report and much more. Read on and then let us know what you think in the comments.

If someone asked you to quickly think of a video game that was based off of a movie, or TV series, it would most likely instantly invoke unpleasant thoughts of hatchet jobs such as Super Mario Bros, or Street Fighter.  Iconic video game franchises that someone tried to cash in on and in the process created a terrible port to the silver screen.  Conversely it is equally challenging to find a good video game that is a direct port of a movie or TV show (if you can actually think of one let me know in the comments below).  The techniques that work well to convey a story on one medium do not always work well for the other.  When I first learned that Trion was working together with Syfy (a division of NBCuniversal) in a joint venture to simultaneously develop a video game and a television show I was more than a bit skeptical.  Earlier this week; however, I was afforded the opportunity to walk the set of the TV show and get hands on time with the game to create a more informed opinion.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Defiance: A One of a Kind Experience.

It's worse than a bad day in Bosnia.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

Imagine an MMO that included elements that allowed players to influence the game in such a way that the TV show adjust their stories to include the player's actions as the background.

Game:  Players from City X take over City Y, and take all it's resources.

TV: City Y is under attack, the Quest for the Golden Finger must wait!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by DMKano
    Ah so the servers will be separated - PC serves ps3 severs and Xbox severs. Also the M rating is no surprise - videos already show head shots with headless bodies and blood splatter hitting the floor."First party restrictions" aka Sony and Microsoft don't want to allow Trion to have their players play vs eachother. Probably a good idea as PC played would wtfpwn both of em.

<snip text from the article>

This is what I thought was going to happen, but people kept saying that it was going to be Cross Platform. I knew they could do it, but that the licensing from Microsoft and Sony would be a nightmare. I started thinking that if anyone could do it, it would be Trion. Oh well. I can understand why MS & Sony don't want any sort of cross platform game play though. Imagine if all the Sony players stomped the XBox players, or vice versa, and then all the PC players stomped the console players. It would create factions of players that had nothing to do with the game itself. It's probably better this way for the players, even though it would be neat to have such a cross platform game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• morbuskabismorbuskabis Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by DMKano
    <<<snip>>> Read below:Defiance will be released on X-Box 360, PS3, and PC.  Even though the game is being released on consoles it still looked extremely good on the PC. While Defiance is a multimedia experience and Defiance the game is a multiplatform game, it will not be a crossplatform game.  The technology does exists and Trion has been able to make it work but due to first party restrictions players will be limited to playing the game with other players on their console of choice and PC players will be able to play with other PC players. Defiance with also launch with a M rating.  This rating might seem a bit odd for MMORPGs but it is pretty much the standard for FPS.  This just further demonstrates the philosophy of Defiance being a shooter first.  This M rating also allowed Trion to create quest text that would make a sailor blush.    

This makes the game even more intressting to me now. I might give this game a shot

image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Console versions mean small limited zones. Consoles just don't have the resources PC's do. Looking forward to the TV series though. Man a Farscape MMO would have been cool! Great race/class choices.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Console versions mean small limited zones. Consoles just don't have the resources PC's do. Looking forward to the TV series though. Man a Farscape MMO would have been cool! Great race/class choices.

No, it doesnt. They have discussed the game being a full open world for consoles also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sKTGP-Mms6U

I still think it's funny that some PC players are so in denial about the capabilities of consoles, when with the current generation they basically ARE a PC as far as hardware. No, its not the same as your $2000 + gaming rig, but not everyone is playing MMOs witht those types of PCs either. The hardware also isnt constantly upgraded until the next gen of console. On top of the fact that games developed on consoles are specifically built to utilize that one unified hardware, rather than the millions of combinatins of hardware that exists amongst all the PCs. The next gen of consoles (which I expect we will see sometime in the next 2-4 years) will likely far outperform our current PCs and probably hold their own against any "good" PCs at that time.

Also, Im glad, and somewhat surprised, to see that both Trion and SyFy seem to be collaborating together so well, with both sides giving input and coming to an agreement regarding some aspects of the show and game.

It doesnt look like its shaping up to be your run of the mill "Game takes established IP from a show and ruins it" or "Someone makes a TV show / movie based on a game that ruins it". I kind of expected it to be more like SyFY is making the show however they want, and then Trion just has to make it work for the game, even if it makes no sense.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

I hope the show doesn't fail because of a poor choice of broadcast time, or because it gets set again some madly popular show that's already established.

I'm very much looking forward to both the game and the show, and hoping this doesn't ruin Trion should it go badly.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Honest truth: Keyboard + mouse > controler EVERYDAY, and has always been that way. Hence seperate UnReal Tourney servers YEARS ago.
  • PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56

The only good movie/video game crossover/port I've ever partaken in was Escape from Butcher Bay, but Riddic made an excellent video game character for stealth/action game play.

As for Defiance, I dunno, will see, don't know enough about it yet. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Just wanted to note that running around on the set of the show and then playing the game would make for an awesome week. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    microsoft's xbox live is a closed network its impossible to have cross platform it is possible with sony's network

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    An mmo doesn't need a show, it needs an entire channel, with like live coverage of stuff as it happens, along with various shows about the show, and then maybe the once a week dramatic episode.
  • ByntBynt Member Posts: 35

Its nice to see the M for mature rating as I feel MMO's should go this way more often, I was Very surprised to actually read that quest dialog.  Really made me chuckle over the vulgarity in it, if you haven't actually read it, I highly recommend it for a good laugh! 

The game/TV show concept sounds really interesting, can't wait to learn more about both.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Correct me if I'm wrong but, isn't this a third-person shooter? Not a first-person shooter as the writer keeps claiming?

Anyhow, I am cautiously optimistic about this project. I think making the game and show in tandem could make all the difference in the quality of the MMO. And since I love the show's head writer, I have confidence in the TV show too.

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

what concerns me is this looks more and more like a halo ripoff. Secondly if all you can play is humans this is gonna be meh. Another issue is what if the show gets cancelled lol? 

I wish this idea had been done with falling skies = ( 

• taziartaziar Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

No, it doesnt. They have discussed the game being a full open world for consoles also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sKTGP-Mms6U

I still think it's funny that some PC players are so in denial about the capabilities of consoles, when with the current generation they basically ARE a PC as far as hardware. No, its not the same as your $2000 + gaming rig, but not everyone is playing MMOs witht those types of PCs either. The hardware also isnt constantly upgraded until the next gen of console. On top of the fact that games developed on consoles are specifically built to utilize that one unified hardware, rather than the millions of combinatins of hardware that exists amongst all the PCs. The next gen of consoles (which I expect we will see sometime in the next 2-4 years) will likely far outperform our current PCs and probably hold their own against any "good" PCs at that time.

Also, Im glad, and somewhat surprised, to see that both Trion and SyFy seem to be collaborating together so well, with both sides giving input and coming to an agreement regarding some aspects of the show and game.

It doesnt look like its shaping up to be your run of the mill "Game takes established IP from a show and ruins it" or "Someone makes a TV show / movie based on a game that ruins it". I kind of expected it to be more like SyFY is making the show however they want, and then Trion just has to make it work for the game, even if it makes no sense.

Denial has nothing to do with it.  Console hardware is horribly outdated.  The XBox and PS3 have 512 MB of ram.  Entry level (<$500) computers today have 4GB of ram, and can be updated quite cheaply.  Even cell phones have twice the memory of a console.  This is why console games constantly have loading screens.  

As far as the processor/video performance, I have done tests using Microsofts XNA development framework, running the same program on my Xbox and on my PC, and the XBox was ~1/4 the speed for a 2D tile Engine.  I have a <$1000 gaming system that is about two years old, hardly exotic hardware. 

I have nothing against consoles, they are esentially PCs.  The problem is, the XBox is a 7 year old mid-level pc.  Cross development for consoles is holding back the gaming industry, as that is the main target of many game developers.  Sure, when they convert to PC they add a few graphical features, but level design limitations and such are carried over from a system with 512MB of ram.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Quests and Quests Texts alone give it a C Rating. Try harder.
  • MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142

YEh, cause fallout 3 was freaking tiny...skyrim...meh I give up, you didnt even think before you psoted this.

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Quests and Quests Texts alone give it a C Rating. Try harder.

Contrary to the certain zeolous fans quest hubs and texts our  far from dead, imo the latest version of quests is a D-, everyone to they're own i guess.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    It does look like fun. Lets see how it plays.  Keeping the consoles and PC separate is pretty much a given.  Especially given that the mouse/keyboard work much better in an FPS.  I doubt that Micky$oft or $ony want their hordes of console players stomped by PC players. 
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Congratz Graky...I am so jealous of you :)
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Correction: The Alien Language expert is David Peterson, not Pearson.
  • Jester47Jester47 Member Posts: 90

It's just a shame they had to make it a straight out of the early 2000's era third-person shooter from a gameplay perspective.

We don't have to wait for console patch verifications which can take upwards of a month or more until the PC version gets its updates, right? Please tell me the PC will be independent in that regard.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    I find it unlikely that both the show and the game will be good its very very rare this kind of thing works out.....remember avatar the game.....probably not