Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] World of WarPlanes: Talking Dogfights at GDC Online

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's GDC Online in Austin, we managed to catch up to Wargaming.net's Victor Kislyi to talk about World of WarPlanes and about dog fighting in the aerial combat game prepping for official launch. See what we discovered and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

We talked about World of Warplanes and where the game sits this close to launch. Victor explained that the acquisition of BigWorld (a recent technology purchase) has helped them a lot on the building the game. They now have an engine they can modify and work with which gives them a much faster time to make changes. The biggest challenge continues to be the controls of the game and they want to make sure that all planes fly well and more importantly fight well. The Warplanes team is heavily focused on gameplay and polish right now. They want the look and feel of flying a plane to be a great experience even for casual players. The team has been doing endless tests and tweaks to get it right. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of WarPlanes: Talking Dogfights at GDC Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

while accessible for the casual fan (as the article above states), i'm afraid there is simply not the mass-appeal for the kind of player-base Wargaming enjoys with WoT...as flight sims have always been more a niche market in the first place, and straddling the line between hard-core sim enthusiasts and pick-up-and-play arcade fighter action is no small task. i appreciate the effort they are making to ensure the game is approachable with several different control schemes, but i'd be surprised if most fighter jockeys don't use a dedicated joystick system.

also, like WoT, while no one can claim this is a true MMO in any real sense, it will be interesting to see all three of these titles (tanks/warplanes/ships) combined together for clan war map conquest. that is, of course, pretty far down the line. 

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I don't think there was mass appeal for tank games before wargaming made World of Tanks either. I believe they will do it justice, but while planes are more mobile and take a little bit longer to become skilled with, I believe it's possible for anyone to enjoy a flight sim fighter.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    For some reason, for me atleast, even though I've loved aircraft since I was a 5 hell, the first book I read was on U.S. aircraft schematics, from the F5 tigershark to the f18 hornet, I loved them all, but dogfighting games never seemed to work. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Not a fan of WG.net's marketing of what I feel are incomplete and thrown together vehicle trees.

My money is on Warthunder who is releasing all nations and planes.

• TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33
    War Thunder is by far the leader here. I feel that both games will fit the appeal for the masses that want a flying game.
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Sorry but the controls & flight model are horrible.