Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3 a.m. It hit me what bothers me lol

Comments

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    And this is why time sinks are so important in MMO's.  When it comes down to it, veterans want to have better stuff than everyone else.  That is how we feel special about our character. This move by developers to go to "no levels", "no grinding", etc. shortens the life span of a game, and how you feel about character progression.
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    what do they care? all developers need is time till the next release.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by ZigZags

The game is WoW without the difficulty and sense of achievement. That's why. Like i've said 10000 times before. Its a theme park released in an age where there are already better theme parks...

GW2 is like the Knotts Berry Farms of MMOs. It sucks and Id rather just go to Disneyland.

You forgot the part where GW2 plays nothing like WoW or other WoW-clones. Seriously, have you even played the game?

Or maye he's thinking that components such as Dodge really aren't all that innovative.

GW2: 

Player runs across a random mob and enters combat. Player deals some damage then notices the mob's cast bar climbing. Player instinctively hit's "Dodge" and avoids taking any damage from Mob's cast. "GW2 combat is so AWESOME!"

WoW:

Player runs across a random mob and enters combat. Player deals some damage then notices the mob's cast bar climbing. Player instinctively hit's "interrupt" and avoids taking any damage from Mob's cast. "WoW combat really sux!"

"Cast bar"?

In GW2?

Do you guys play the game or just make up stuff?

Dodge is equivilant to WoW's skill interrupts to an extent. You get a mechanic that allows you to move out of the way of a spell in GW2, in WOW you get a mechanic that allows you to disrupt a spell cast. Both mechanics are simmilar in that you disrupt the enemies plans to harm you. However GW2 plays with player placement a lot more then WoW does. In WoW you have to be in a raid with a scripted boss in order to get a sense of urgency in movement. In GW2 the first instance requires you to dodge more than you have the stamina for to avoid all of the aoes.

GW2 makes you think more on your feet, WoW is more on the static side so you are never really surprised or required to move unless in a raid for the most part.

So while Dodging is not innovative neither is spell interrupts, both have been in gaming for a while now. More importantly Dodging is a more effective mechanic then just your standard spell interrupt skill because dodging also requires you to know where your character is, where his dodge will take him and also whether or not any counter measures will be required after the dodge. It gets much more interesting in pvp, If you want to compare disruptions i would stick with comparing games that use simmilar mechanics that cause player displacement.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by Ozivois
    And this is why time sinks are so important in MMO's.  When it comes down to it, veterans want to have better stuff than everyone else.  That is how we feel special about our character. This move by developers to go to "no levels", "no grinding", etc. shortens the life span of a game, and how you feel about character progression.

GW2 wasn't designed for the MMO players that play solely for the gear progression, it was made for those that play for the gameplay in of itself.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

The game is WoW without the difficulty and sense of achievement. That's why. Like i've said 10000 times before. Its a theme park released in an age where there are already better theme parks...

GW2 is like the Knotts Berry Farms of MMOs. It sucks and Id rather just go to Disneyland.

You forgot the part where GW2 plays nothing like WoW or other WoW-clones. Seriously, have you even played the game?

Or maye he's thinking that components such as Dodge really aren't all that innovative.

GW2: 

Player runs across a random mob and enters combat. Player deals some damage then notices the mob's cast bar climbing. Player instinctively hit's "Dodge" and avoids taking any damage from Mob's cast. "GW2 combat is so AWESOME!"

WoW:

Player runs across a random mob and enters combat. Player deals some damage then notices the mob's cast bar climbing. Player instinctively hit's "interrupt" and avoids taking any damage from Mob's cast. "WoW combat really sux!"

"Cast bar"?

In GW2?

Dodge is equivilant to WoW's skill interrupts to an extent. You get a mechanic that allows you to move out of the way of a spell in GW2, in WOW you get a mechanic that allows you to disrupt a spell cast. Both mechanics are simmilar in that you disrupt the enemies plans to harm you. However GW2 plays with player placement a lot more then WoW does. In WoW you have to be in a raid with a scripted boss in order to get a sense of urgency in movement. In GW2 the first instance requires you to dodge more than you have the stamina for to avoid all of the aoes.

GW2 makes you think more on your feet, WoW is more on the static side so you are never really surprised or required to move unless in a raid for the most part.

So while Dodging is not innovative neither is spell interrupts, both have been in gaming for a while now. More importantly Dodging is a more effective mechanic then just your standard spell interrupt skill because dodging also requires you to know where your character is, where his dodge will take him and also whether or not any counter measures will be required after the dodge. It gets much more interesting in pvp, If you want to compare disruptions i would stick with comparing games that use simmilar mechanics that cause player displacement.

GW2 also has action disrupters, from daze to knocks and it also has short duration blocks and counters (block attack and retaliate).

I think what makes the combate more interesting to me is the fact it is more active instead of passive (traits being passives are a bit of a let down).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

You need to let go of worrying about stats, and concentrate on playing your character to the very maximum of it's potential on an individual level.

GW has never been about stats, you get your max armor/weapons and then it's all cosmetics from there. The progressive aspect is personal advancement and learning to play your character to the absolute fullest in any given situation.

Agreed. In GW1 I'd have some really cool set of armor I just worked super hard for and then I'd walk by someone who had something that completely trumped what i was wearing. I instantly wanted what they had and would work tirelessly to get it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2: 

WoW:

"Cast bar"?

In GW2?

Yeah, Cut N Paste mistake. Meant to edit that to red rings, but whatever, as long as you got the point. 

Originally posted by slicknslim88
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I've explained it. The implementation chosen requires each player be fully aware of every other player in the group. That's for the dungeons. As group sizes would increase, so would the demand for awareness placed on each player in the team. The burden would exceed the abilities of the average gamer. It's just info overload. That's why we have roles in traditional groups. I don't have a way for the non trinity system to work. I have a hard time seeing it, but I'll accept it's possible. But of what i've seen in it's current implementation, I think we are at about the limit of what a coordinated group can be before that coordination breaks down. And the evidence is present. Look at the big raid fights. They are lacklustre at best.

think about this for a second.. look at the 5 man dungeons in this game currently and how many issues people so stuck on trinity games are having.. now imagine if they made the open world bosses complex encounters people would be having a field day as they could not complete the content.. open world stuff should be more accessable this way imho.. But now saying that look what happens once a good group knows the dungeons in this game... they are blazing through them in 30 min which would take others hours to get through... now look at the scenario i typed above why would something like that not work with a well coordinated raid in this type of game?

also i'd try the dragon fights now when the areas are not completely oversaturated with people like they were couple weeks ago they are a LOT more fun

Your key words are "good group" That's where it falls apart. Hell it's hard enough in the trinity. Much less a game with increased siuational awareness requirements. I think it's more the human factor when I am talking about the least common denominator. Most just won't get it

I'm having trouble with you thoughts on this.  But shouldn't a "good group" be the ones that succeed in ANY dungeon, even raid dungeons for trinity games?  I'm not talking about a "great group" or an "amazing group" or a "flawless group" here.  But I'm talking about a group with basic knowledge of the encounters who are all responsive and aware of the fights to a degree that a "good" player will have.  Not an average or weak player.  Because those players should not be able to get through the tough stuff in any MMO game, or any game actually.  I believe that if a player wants to succeed in an MMO, or any game for that matter, they should at least take some time to study how the game works, such as encounters in a dungeon, and I'm not talking like ridiculous amounts, but gathering a basic understanding of the game should be key to succeeding in it.  I would be highly highly dissapointed in any game that I can just jump in and without much effort at all, breeze my way through it...*cough* Diablo 3 *cough*.  

So your saying that because MOST players would not have the proper situational awareness requirements that a dungeon with more than 5 player cap (a raid dungeon) in GW2 would fail?  That tells me a couple things.  First off, your  pretty much insulting gamers intelligence on a pretty large scale (although there are some cases where I wouldn't dissagree with you on this point, lol)  and secondly, that you believe that difficult games should not be made because the majority of players wouldn't be able to complete them because they lack the "good player" quality to do it.  And that's just a silly notion in it's own right.

GW2's lack of the trinity system is a breakthrough in MMO gaming, and this being the first game of it's kind, I can understand some skepticism in believeing that it can achieve the things that the holy trinity has achieved.  But to believe that it CANNOT achieve those things straight up, is downright naive and incredibly close minded.

In response to your 1st paragraph, I am not talking about individual players, I am talking about the law of averages. When you PUG dungeons, you are going to get bad players. That's just the way it is. Now, at the same time, and historically in games such as WoW, time does prove to overcome this as even the worst players eventually either learn what to do, or just outgear the dungeons. But in GW2, that 2nd option is not possible.

No, I'm not saying most players. I'm saying the "One you got stuck with in your group that doesn't" situation that always seems to happen in PUGs.

I would say the GW2 system is a break away, not a break through. You can call me closed minded, but to me I've seen the effect. It's very limited. If I were to say that a non-trinity system will never work, then sure, that's closed minded, but I'm not saying that. What I am saying is GW2's system is limited, it's an observation.  I have said before, Look at the lack luster boss fights. Look at one of the biggest complaints about the dungeon system in the past 6 weeks of threads here, many have said the same thing.  The fact that you disagree doesn't make me any more or less ignorant of any "facts".  The non-trinity system of GW2, did not go over as well with the "masses" as was previously hoped.

How is this a bad thing??  Overtime the community learns to overcome difficult obstacles using their skill instead of using whatever great gear they can scrounge together.  All positive there.  Also, due to the fact that the dungeons are actually difficult in this game, it gives people incentives to be social and gather friends to do a dungeon instead of a PUG.  Also, a positive thing.

Your only argument that your providing that the system is limited is that it's a non-trinity game, and that people on the forums complain about the dungeons.  The only reason people complain about the dungeon's is because they get their asses kicked and instead of learning why they are constantly dying and losing, they decide it must be the game's fault.  "It's a new system, it's the system that's flawed, not me, I'm the best player in the world!"  I know this because people who have actually learned the dungeons have a great time playing them, and die far less frequently.  And people who die frequently in my groups always play the same record "omg, this game's system is so broken!" even though I'm watching how terrible they are playing.

Judging from your argument's so far, your taking all your facts just from what you hear on these forums instead of asking what people think who are playing the game.  Oh, you can't ask them, because they are all enjoying it right now.  The massive amounts of great reviews are also an indication of just how much the "masses" "dislike" this game.

We all have different opinions on PUGs. either way, it is what it is, we all have to deal with them.

I think you are making assumtions about what players are thinking. I am just stating what I've seen. BTW, I am open to being proven wrong. But for now, I say the system has no room to expand. Dungeon and world PVE raids will continue to be zergy "Every man for himself fights". But on GW2's side. I will be fair and admit that it's not just the non trinity system that is like this. I have seen this in Rift as well with World PVE fights. They can be just as zergy and just as much everyman for himself fights. I will admit that. And while that may just be the nature of the beast. I do know that it is possible to have a well coordinated raid group in a Trinity system. But in a GW2 world boss fight, would it even be of any benefit if the whole raid was in voice chat? Everyone would be doing the same thing. DPS when not trying to avoid red rings. I am well aware of setting up combos and using banners (Play a War) etc.

Show me the acolades praising the new non role system. I won't say it doesn't exist, I just haven't seen much of it. If that's really the case and this system is getting rave reviews and I'm jus tliving in an inforamtion black hole, then, I can admit that too.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

made it to level 8 tonight....my toons name is Randaynn...come to find out there is already a "Randayn" in game...

I will promise to not make another comment on the game until I reach 80...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Randayn

made it to level 8 tonight....my toons name is Randaynn...come to find out there is already a "Randayn" in game...

the whole issue with your little "experiment" is you are going in already with a huge negative bias towards the game.. so basically you are just doing this to validate your negative bias.. but honestly whatever floats your boat I guess hope you find some enjoyment perhaps you missed last time playing:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

the whole issue with your little "experiment" is you are going in already with a huge negative bias towards the game.. so basically you are just doing this to validate your negative bias.. but honestly whatever floats your boat I guess hope you find some enjoyment perhaps you missed last time playing:)

Did even 10% of the people who started playing Guild Wars 2 do so without any bias? Just buying the game is an indication of a bias since it requires a monetary investment. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Did even 10% of the people who started playing Guild Wars 2 do so without any bias? Just buying the game is an indication of a bias since it requires a monetary investment. 

for instance lets say I loathe FPS games but I hear all these people talking about how great this new FPS game is, I fork down the cash to buy it knowling I dislike FPS games and low and behold I hate it because it's a FPS.. Randayn already stated he really hates the direction the mmo genre has gone over the years and basically some of GW2 key features are features he feels are what are ruining the genre... so to me this is going in with a very negative bias which will greatly influence how you preceive and play the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I most definitely have a negative bias towards the game, but I promise to keep an open mind.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

I most definitely have a negative bias towards the game, but I promise to keep an open mind.

Too late.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Too late.

It's never too late to try to be more open-minded... if it were, we'd all be doomed.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Too late.

It's never too late to try to be more open-minded... if it were, we'd all be doomed.

Oh no I know that man.  Being open-minded is a very good thing.  I was just saying that it's too late for him to promise to be open minded because it's embarressingly obvious that he's as close minded as they come.

Originally posted by Vhaln

Too late.

Oh no I know that man.  Being open-minded is a very good thing.  I was just saying that it's too late for him to promise to be open minded because it's embarressingly obvious that he's as close minded as they come.

Objectivity lends itself well to "closed-mindedness"

whens the last time you heard me say "this game sucks so bad"...never I've given 3 arguments....lack of trinity = lack of strategy, twitch combat replacing preparation based combat and a generic feel to the game.  

I think I've been as objective as I possibly could be on such a subjective subject

you GW2 fanatics have got to stop kidding yourselves....GW2 plays just like WOW until you get in a dungeon...then it plays like WoW but without the great strategy involved in WoW dungeons...why?  you ask....because it can't.

(as an aside, Ill admit that WoW is terribly easy....Im talking more about vanilla wow raids/dungeons and throw in Ulduar for fun.

This is just the obvious example.  The fact that you are so blind to the MASSIVE differences GW2 has from WoW is proof enough that you are 1 of 2 things.  

The first is that you are so close minded by your negative bias that you can't see the incredibly obvious differences between these two MMO's.  This could be that you have such an unhealthy hatred for this game, for whatever reason, that you have to openly demean it to being a copycat of what is already popular.  This why no matter what you say, your going to forever be close minded to GW2's potential and are going to continue to unjustly hate on it no matter how embaressingly ignorant you sound.

[mod edit]

And yes I read your post after this one attempting to justify this bold and ignorant statement, and it was just as silly.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456

Too late.

We all know why he does it. To be able to say "I've a 80 in the game, so now I'm entitled to say the game sucks". What's sad is that he feels the need to go on such a crusade, playing a game he obviously dislikes, just to be able to post "told you so" on the forum of a game he hates to flex "ePeen" to people he doesn't even know.

Now if he was paid to do that, I'd eventually understand. But just to be "right" (in his own mind) on a gaming forum... it's really, really very sad. Not to mention that he implicitely admitted that until now, he was bashing the game (with a load of posts every day, mind you) without playing it... I thought this was against the forum rules.

But whatever.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

The irony on these last pages is thick. Here you have a guy who admits he doen't like GW2, and who has been accused of having a closed mind. He then takes up the challenge and offers to keep an open mind by playing the game from start to finish but his gesture is rejected. He's not even given the benefit of the doubt even just enough to accept the possibility that he could change his mind. If GW2 is the great game it's made out to be, then this is reasonably plauseable is it not?

Let me ask, who are the one's showing the closed mind here?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

The irony on these last pages is thick. Here you have a guy who admits he doen't like GW2, and who has been accused of having a closed mind. He then takes up the challenge and offers to keep an open mind by playing the game from start to finish but his gesture is rejected. He's not even given the benefit of the doubt even just enough to accept the possibility that he could change his mind. If GW2 is the great game it's made out to be, then this is reasonably plauseable is it not?

+1

I have realised over the weeks that irony is something these GW2 defenders are completely oblivious to.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

you GW2 fanatics have got to stop kidding yourselves....GW2 plays just like WOW until you get in a dungeon...then it plays like WoW but without the great strategy involved in WoW dungeons...why?  you ask....because it can't.

(as an aside, Ill admit that WoW is terribly easy....Im talking more about vanilla wow raids/dungeons and throw in Ulduar for fun.

This is just the obvious example.  The fact that you are so blind to the MASSIVE differences GW2 has from WoW is proof enough that you are 1 of 2 things.  

The first is that you are so close minded by your negative bias that you can't see the incredibly obvious differences between these two MMO's.  This could be that you have such an unhealthy hatred for this game, for whatever reason, that you have to openly demean it to being a copycat of what is already popular.  This why no matter what you say, your going to forever be close minded to GW2's potential and are going to continue to unjustly hate on it no matter how embaressingly ignorant you sound.

[mod edit]

And yes I read your post after this one attempting to justify this bold and ignorant statement, and it was just as silly.

What massive differences? Both games belong under the sub-genre of ThemePark. Sure there are differences in the way you get and do quests and the combat is hybrid TAB target where as in WoW is full TAB targetted but fundamentally the two games are the same. I.e. linear, casual, class and quest based with PvP as a sideshow.

As for not being able to be unique in ThemePark games, that is nonsense. That is just another similarity between the two games and just a way for devs to make it easier to balance the two games. In GW 2, for any one class, every character can have every single activable skill and the only differences comes from the passive traits.

But that is nothing inherent for ThemeParks, it is just that it makes it easier for devs to balance as they have less variables to worry about. 

In GW 2 this could be easy to amend by having a larger skill pool, like in GW 2, and from that a great variety of combinations would arise.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i wouldnt call them massive differences but there are welcome differences

- the elimination of a quest log to maintain,  no need to delete out leveled quests or make room for new quests

- the elimination of quest turnins  (w exception of personal story)

- players in PVE are not in competition w you while mob killing or node harvesting

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Too late.

We all know why he does it. To be able to say "I've a 80 in the game, so now I'm entitled to say the game sucks". What's sad is that he feels the need to go on such a crusade, playing a game he obviously dislikes, just to be able to post "told you so" on the forum of a game he hates to flex "ePeen" to people he doesn't even know.

Now if he was paid to do that, I'd eventually understand. But just to be "right" (in his own mind) on a gaming forum... it's really, really very sad. Not to mention that he implicitely admitted that until now, he was bashing the game (with a load of posts every day, mind you) without playing it... I thought this was against the forum rules.

But whatever.

thanks for keeping up....Ive clocked in over 100 hours of gametime prior to this "experiment"....

thanks!  I think it's an honest attempt to see what the vocal GW2 fans are seeing....nothing more....nobody that blindly hates something would ever decide to do this.