Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of mmorpg would you create? No swords or dragons allowed

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Prehistoric mmo -- survive
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

An MMORPG in which every one come and complain about how bad modern MMORPG's are blame WoW and cry about SWG...

Lol most would  be max level right after login

i would love to see a multi genre mmo  like the torg role playing game.  Yes when I win the lottery I shall make torg online

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Jade Cocoon Online
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Prehistoric mmo -- survive

Huh?

I think, therefore I am.

Think all you want, all your cave belong to us!

Does this game have brewing?

•   I can go for this.

Once upon a time....

• ericlatrelleericlatrelle Member UncommonPosts: 176

Battletech: one where you create your character with the Mechwarrior RPG system and can pilot battlemechs, be a dropship/jumpship/warship pilot/crew member, aerospace pilot or elemantal/regular infantry.

Rifts: Based on the RPG created by Palladium

Those would be my genres for an MMORPG.

• DuranuDuranu Member Posts: 21

IT - The MMORPG

Would feature three factions.  The Geek Squad, Tigers, and Neweggs.

You would have missions from filling out apps, tech support missions, retail dungeons, upper management bosses, fighting the oppressive Radio Shack regime, and trying to obtain high level tools and skills to hopefully achieve the IT Project Manager rank, at which time you become a boss for others to defeat.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    • A combat oriented spaceship MMO
    • Stone age survival MMO
    • Age of Sail MMO (just better than what we have now)
    • The above mentioned Road Warrior MMO (Interstate '76, Mad Max, Auto Assault, Bandits; Phoenix rising...)
    • Wild West MMO

But in all honesty, any MMO made well will do.

That would be a really nice change of pace.  SIgn me up.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Originally posted by mikeoffy
    what a useless thread,.

Countered by a helpful post?  I actually found it interesting to see what people would want ot play.

I agree. Why does everything have to be "x game sucks, y game sucks, f2p is stealing our wallets, x developer is evil, y developer is evil "bitch bitch bitch" rinse and repeat.

A little cloud talk is ok from time to time.

"Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people."

Sounds true to me.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ForTheCityForTheCity Member Posts: 307
    Originally posted by tawess

I'd buy in to the transformers IP and build a Transformers MMO.

That is all.

isn't there one coming out next year. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

A steampunkish MMO, Arcanum universe I always loved and really wished that the company was a success.  They did a great job of a technology mixed with swords and magic that each were opposing forces.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I wanted another space sim (and Star Citizen looks promising). I like a lot about Eve - particularly it's complexity and engineering-emphasis in a high tech genre. But I have to admit that the cutthroat nature of the sandbox keeps me out of 99% of the game. I love that Eve is single-server, I wish more MMOs would go this route. I would definitely "borrow" this aspect somehow.

My thought was more akin to your the Captain/Admiral/what have you. You give orders, but don't have direct control of your ship (or fleet). Combat would proceed a bit like The Last Remnant - where you can set your squad and give a general order, but it's your squad leader and the make up of the team that determines the exact attack that they decide to carry out.

I don't mean to exactly imitate The Last Remnant - there was a lot about that combat style that I didn't like. But in a ship-based genre, in real life the Captain/Admiral/whatever doesn't have direct control. They give orders. They have to rely on subordinates to carry those orders out - and often those orders go through two or three layers of people. I don't want to just initiate a time lag, but to give some general orders (Squad A attack here, Squad B over here, Squad C Flank) - maybe close to drone warfare in Eve but a bit more in depth (not quite Homeworld or Sword & Stars though - but closer to that than anything really), and have the entire combat model revolve around that.

Outside of the combat (with alien species, pirates, I don't really know) - I wanted the environment to be closer to Privateer - you can chose to be part of the Government Fleet and run missions and duties for them, or you can join one of the various renegade/pirate fleets, join a intergalactic company and help them conduct commerce, or you can make a go of it on your own (or form your own fleet with friends). Depending on how you align yourself sets which worlds are open to you to visit (at least as a non-hostile), which types of missions you run primarily or whatever you enjoy doing. These missions are largely self-requested - you want to run a mission, ask for one and pick from what's available. Other stuff will just happen (events) to try to keep the worlds alive (planets getting invaded, trade routes getting hijacked, people getting kidnapped), and players can either help/hinder these efforts, or ignore them as they wish.

Exploring worlds should be a large part of it, First Person based (although I haven't decided if you should be able to take squads with you like STO - I'm leaning against it because fleet combat already is indirect, and land-based exploration should be very different) and the worlds themselves should be very sandboxy - SWG-ish with open world persistent gathering structures and housing. Maybe even raiding (with some planets getting NPC protection to prevent them from being overtaken, but still able to be raided and looted, and other planets and systems full-blown sandbox and just controled by whomever can keep it). Not quite as much of the world would be open (in Eve it's like 90% open/10% carebear), but that would float depending on what the community wants (I would prefer something like 50/50, but that may not be what everyone wants). I don't know if land-based game would mostly be explorational with PVP encounters (raiding/defending structures or cities), or if there would be much of a PVE component to it - if there is any PVE element it would be light and structured mostly to compliment and support the space component, as that's where the bulk of the PVE action is (at least in my head).

Worlds would definitely have player-created communities and cities. Some worlds could have locally elected governments - haven't gotten that all fleshed out yet. I don't know that there would be as many systems/worlds as Eve has - probably just a fraction of that (20 systems with about 5-10 planets each? idk - it could easily expand/contract once the game went live to accommodate more (or fewer) players)

Could do something similar with Colonial Carribean and a maritime theme really, just replace "planets" with "islands", put sails on the ships, and add a liberal amount of Rum and cannonballs.

I guess TL;DR, mix Eve and SWG, and add a bit of Homeworld in there

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

No swords,dragons,magic,shields or wizards.

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

3.Cowboys vs Indians mmorpg

4.Musical mmorpg Start a rockband 

With the limitations you have placed on your question I think you have invalidated your question.  As an aside, I would not play any of the MMO's on your list.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I would create an MMO that had spears, bows, axes, polearms, hammers, maces and crossbows. I would have giant, 100 foot lizards that attacked the land. Instead of wizards, I would have mages.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    A western RPG might be fun. But I'm kinda interested in the industrial revolution period since it's the period in history that was the most dynamic and turbulent. I have always been fascinated with ages of great change and the industrial revolution changed everything. Imagine running around victorian London, Revolutionary France, Ottoman Empire, Prussia or the wild west during this period! Not sure what kinda game I would like though, maybe something like the Secret world but without the zombies.
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    I would create an MMO that had spears, bows, axes, polearms, hammers, maces and crossbows. I would have giant, 100 foot lizards that attacked the land. Instead of wizards, I would have mages.

Someone give this man 300 million dollars to make a game!!!

You got this EA.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    A western RPG might be fun. But I'm kinda interested in the industrial revolution period since it's the period in history that was the most dynamic and turbulent. I have always been fascinated with ages of great change and the industrial revolution changed everything. Imagine running around victorian London, Revolutionary France, Ottoman Empire, Prussia or the wild west during this period! Not sure what kinda game I would like though, maybe something like the Secret world but without the zombies.

City of Steam called and wanted to ask you if you like.

• ReeperReeper Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Gamma world,  with a compleeted game on release,
  • Ravnos80Ravnos80 Member UncommonPosts: 47

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

So...your question is flawed in that it's not what we would make...but what YOU would have us make.

By your own restrictions you've blocked out Vampire, Shadowrun, AD&D, Black Company, A Song of Ice and Fire, Discworld, Conan, and pretty much anything realistically Medieval or even historically based. 

You've limited it quite a bit, military is even questionable as they have dress swords. Cowboys and Indians are right out since cavalry used swords, sorry. Prison is questionable because they have shanks, which are knives, which are small daggers, which are small swords, which is a miniature version of a full sized sword. Sorry, that's out. 

Also, aside from you putting massive restrictions on the "what would you create" part of this, from the list of four things you suggested I get the impression that your confusing MMORPG with just MMO. Skydiving and rockband are NOT, in anyway, shape, or form, an RPG. That would be an mmo, basically just like playing with others on XBOX or PS3...except to be an MMO you'd probably have to have significantly more than just just 10-30 people.

So, I don't think I can give you a legitamate answer as to what I'd make in your image...

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

The Internet: the MMO

A social/action MMO for fans of everything about the internet.

Join your friends in the youtube screening room and start watching videos Myster Science Theater 3000 style.

Ally your self with the censors or the trolls, either police websites and destroy mobs of questionable content or screw with the websites to create flame wars.

The endgame would consist of every cat video ever.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Economy and Politics focused.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

1. Old west MMO with a red dead redemption feel

2. A good zombie apocalypse MMO with perma-death before you hit max level. Once you hit max level you get a vaccine to prevent you from being bitten unless you choose to play a zombie.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

I am already working on a Mobile mmo, and it 'will' have Swords and Dragons.

It will cater to ex-WoW/Eq players who now have real lives and want to be elite raiders but only invest a few hours a week into the game.

Mobile is the future for mmo.  In 5 years players will be playing mmo's while they wait on the bus/train or between conf calls at work.

-Blitz

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by kzaske

1. A prison mmorpg

2.A sky diving mmorpg

With the limitations you have placed on your question I think you have invalidated your question.  As an aside, I would not play any of the MMO's on your list.

he remove only the fantasy games, so sci-fi are inside, space flight sims e.t.c. but cowboys and indians sounds fun

anyway ill prefer a SWG without jedis, simple as that

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm not sure I'd even attempt an MMORPG. I think I'd aim at lower population, player run servers. 100 to 200 people online per server.

1) Wild, Wild West with Steam punk and a magic system based around religion more than Wizards. I think this could work as a sandbox game with players being able to own property such as farms, ranches or mines. Combat and PvP would play a major role in the game, but the land ownership would play an equally important role.

2) A Lovecraftian themed game, set in the 20's with some Steam punk elements. Players would be investigators or cultists. I think a mostly sandbox style game with player guilds and server factions and the goal is to either bring the old gods closer, or push them farther away. There would be combat and PvP, but it would be minimal. Combat was never a major focus of the IP, so it wouldn't be a major focus of the game.

3) Wizard of Oz. This isn't very fleshed out as a game setting, but I think it's an interesting IP and there's a lot that could be done with it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Ravnos80Ravnos80 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by defector1968

he remove only the fantasy games, so sci-fi are inside, space flight sims e.t.c. but cowboys and indians sounds fun

anyway ill prefer a SWG without jedis, simple as that

That's not exactly true. Like I said on the last page the no magic, swords, or dragons thing removes, for example, Shadowrun (which is cyberpunk but has all of the above) and Vampire (which is modern day but has magic and swords). His restrictions rule out quite a bit honestly.