Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO you hate the most because of the fans

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    The more popular a game the more hate it will get. hipsters hate wow and gw2 because they are successful. hipsters like seeing things fail. they are never happy. hating or not playing a game based on a forum community is childish and you should have your voting rights revoked..grow up children.

I am guessing GW2 fan.

you avoided playing a game based on the fanbase on an unofficial forum, that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. if anything you should hate the devs because they made the game that you have never played yet hate so much. i'd say you'd be easy to manipulate.

Yes, GW2 fan

At least i made up my mind by actually playing the game, you made your mind based upon fan reaction. I have a mind of my own and will play something before i have an opinion on it, you sir are easily led.

Whether i have played the game or not is not, except for a small part related to the fans, although I believe community is important in an MMO. I don't really think that paying 60$ for the privilege of playing a F2P themepark is the bargain you obviously believe it is and is not something I think my time and money would be best spent upon.

The rampant asshattery of the GW2 fans I see, and many others obviously agree with that from the input into this thread, is just the icing on the cake that makes me a little more supremely comfortable in my decision not to play, that along with the reports coming out now it can be played by more than the beta white knights

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

actually in game the GW2 community is good by modern standards

part of that might be down to game design and what not, no node stealing and what have you.

also RVR games like DAOC, Planetside and sort of GW2 tend to have good communities because you need to work with everybody in your faction.  Where as your more pve focussed mmos, I often felt you were more in competition with your own side, who cleared what dungeon first and what have you, guilds poaching players off each other etc..

GW2 is a very casual mmo you can dip in and out of, a big chunk of their players are older casual players that can't commit to long play schedules and typically dont go posting on forums either,

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

I hate those damn MMO fans, you know of that one game...the one with swords and dungeons and magic spells. Yeeaaah, that one....Pacman. Those damn pacman fantrolls they get me everytime!

But seriously hating a game because of its fans is just silly. Hey, my name is Tom, and I hate the greatest game ever made in the history of everythingness because of its fans. Thats like saying you hate italy because you dont like water. Absoultely silly.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    actually in game the GW2 community is good by modern standardspart of that might be down to game design and what not, no node stealing and what have you.also RVR games like DAOC, Planetside and sort of GW2 tend to have good communities because you need to work with everybody in your faction.  Where as your more pve focussed mmos, I often felt you were more in competition with your own side, who cleared what dungeon first and what have you, guilds poaching players off each other etc..GW2 is a very casual mmo you can dip in and out of, a big chunk of their players are older casual players that can't commit to long play schedules and typically dont go posting on forums either,

You got a source for that last bit?

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Really the worst fans will always follow the hype.  EQ used to be the worst fans, then WoW, then AoC, then SWTOR, then TSW, then and currently GW2... see a trend here? 

And really why are people judging a game on it's fans?  If you like a game it's not because of the fans but the game itself.  Community wise MMOs are atrocious no matter how you spin it and people will find their click and stick with em that end up being their guild.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    TSW has the absolute worst fans ever
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    The more popular a game the more hate it will get. hipsters hate wow and gw2 because they are successful. hipsters like seeing things fail. they are never happy. hating or not playing a game based on a forum community is childish and you should have your voting rights revoked..grow up children.

I am guessing GW2 fan.

you avoided playing a game based on the fanbase on an unofficial forum, that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. if anything you should hate the devs because they made the game that you have never played yet hate so much. i'd say you'd be easy to manipulate.

Yes, GW2 fan

At least i made up my mind by actually playing the game, you made your mind based upon fan reaction. I have a mind of my own and will play something before i have an opinion on it, you sir are easily led.

Whether i have played the game or not is not, except for a small part related to the fans, although I believe community is important in an MMO. I don't really think that paying 60$ for the privilege of playing a F2P themepark is the bargain you obviously believe it is and is not something I think my time and money would be best spent upon.

The rampant asshattery of the GW2 fans I see, and many others obviously agree with that from the input into this thread, is just the icing on the cake that makes me a little more supremely comfortable in my decision not to play, that along with the reports coming out now it can be played by more than the beta white knights

how would you know what the community is like in gw2 you've never played the game? You are basing your view of the ingame community on the mmorpg.com forum, really? show me a forum that is not full of douchebags and over zealous fanboys. it is a bargain to me because i have played mmo's that have subs that are  of a lower quality than gw2, but how would you know you've never played the game.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I am guessing GW2 fan.

Yes, GW2 fan

Actually all this thread is haters posting hate against X MMO which the specialty of the day is GW2 until the next major MMO comes around.  The title says all and is an invintation specifically for haters so naturally GW2 is going to have a lot of people hating on, in no shape or form is this going to be any accurate reflection to the true state of the community.  I've been in numerous MMOs and while GW2 does has it's faults it certainly not all that bad.  There are much worse in games like EVE and WoW who talk smack or have rampent immature talk like doing "Anal Rend" kind of things or childish smack talk.  Hell even AoC had much worse community with some to the chats in general.

• ZorlofeZorlofe Member UncommonPosts: 215
    This happened with WoW for me. I literally started to hate it just because of the people that played it and haven't been back to it since and still have no desire to return.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Foomerang

There was no disdain. Over zealous gw2 fans are entertaining. I said that in my original post. Someone else turned it into all gw2 fans and hate.

You said they are zealous and give you the lulz.

You then made a quotation comment parodying them. 

Perhaps disdain was the wrong word, but you were still causing a rather ironic situation.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

How many posts did the mods get rid of, in this thread alone?

Results as expected.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by Foomerang There was no disdain. Over zealous gw2 fans are entertaining. I said that in my original post. Someone else turned it into all gw2 fans and hate.  
    You said they are zealous and give you the lulz.

You then made a quotation comment parodying them. 

Perhaps disdain was the wrong word, but you were still causing a rather ironic situation.

I was giving an example of what i meant by over zealous. That makes me over zealous now? Haha. Well, i apologize if anyone took personal offense . Figured this was a pretty silly thread so i made a silly post. But there are people on these forums who act that way, and i do find those types of posts funny. Saying so makes me one of them? Thats a new one hehe.

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662
    Originally posted by Icewhite

How many posts did the mods get rid of, in this thread alone?

Results as expected.

How the hell did my topic hit 22 pages? lol

DId anyone bring up Modern Warfare or Halo by any chance? Cause I hate both thos games too due to the fanboys (Counter-Strike player for life, fuck iron sights).

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • UnfriendlyUnfriendly Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I don't hate any game.. but (some of) the GW2 fans almost make me want to keep it a secret that I play it
    Originally posted by Unfriendly
    I don't hate any game.. but (some of) the GW2 fans almost make me want to keep it a secret that I play it

I recently stopped playing MMOs because single player games are more evolved -_-

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Unfriendly

It's okay, I think you're still cool. well sort of...

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by Starpower

I'm sorry I'm not that irrational

Hating something because a certain group of people likes it, is just that. Irrational not to mention stupid

Saying something is stupid ..... is subjective and irrational

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Vanilla Wow was a great community. NOW, wow's community sucks.

GW2 community can't be a bad community because it is a single player game and does not promote group play.  But the GW2 commuinity on these forums think they are elite and overhype the game..... which is baaaad.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

GW2 fans by far.

If you criticize anything they start yelling bloody murder in blind zealot defense.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

SWG.  

Post-mortem canonization still an ongoing daily process; much revisionist history too.

(Watch the CoH fans; the next martyrs)

I have to agree with that. And I saw posts recently praising the matrix online. Both these games were awful. The only thing that I liked about SWG was the crafting. But for the most part it was pretty a pretty dull an empty game. The matrix was just a shoddy attempt to cash in on an IP that would of been perfect for MMOs.

However I'm slightly guillty of looking at the past with these rose tinted specs myself when it comes to the original Everquest, although it still around. Up until recently I forgot how boring and furstrating it was at times particularly when it came to trying to orginize a large scale raid. Healer and tanks getting DCed at the world possible time and waiting for almost an hour to fetch a replacement which by the time the raid would start to disintegrate. Then there was always some idiot that stepped to far and pulls a mob almost wiping out the whole raid.

Originally posted by Arakazi
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

SWG.  

Post-mortem canonization still an ongoing daily process; much revisionist history too.

(Watch the CoH fans; the next martyrs)

I have to agree with that. And I saw posts recently praising the matrix online. Both these games were awful. The only thing that I liked about SWG was the crafting. But for the most part it was pretty a pretty dull an empty game. The matrix was just a shoddy attempt to cash in on an IP that would of been perfect for MMOs.

However I'm slightly guillty of looking at the past with these rose tinted specs myself when it comes to the original Everquest, although it still around. Up until recently I forgot how boring and furstrating it was at times particularly when it came to trying to orginize a large scale raid. Healer and tanks getting DCed at the world possible time and waiting for almost an hour to fetch a replacement which by the time the raid would start to disintegrate. Then there was always some idiot that stepped to far and pulls a mob almost wiping out the whole raid.

Final Fantasy XI was based on Everquest. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me back then. Setup was usually 30 minutes for a normal party, then you have to get to the damn place, eat some food, find a camp spot, and hope noone decides to leave.

WTF WAS WRONG WITH US?!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Starpower

I'm sorry I'm not that irrational

Hating something because a certain group of people likes it, is just that. Irrational not to mention stupid

So it would be irrational to hate bigotry because you witnessed a bunch of KKK members being bigots?  explain to me how thats irrational, and stupid, as you say.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I was giving an example of what i meant by over zealous. That makes me over zealous now? Haha. Well, i apologize if anyone took personal offense . Figured this was a pretty silly thread so i made a silly post. But there are people on these forums who act that way, and i do find those types of posts funny. Saying so makes me one of them? Thats a new one hehe.

It does somewhat by intent or not.

Any parody of another can be seen as something done at the expense of the originating party. Even if I agree with you that it's humorous, it's considered mocking to parody such a person in what essentially amounts to public.

Saying so in that manner makes you derisive, not necessarily a fanatic or zealous. Just makes you appear to have less social control than you might actually have.

Granted this is the internet and most people seem to take that to mean they don't need any social conduct.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by Foomerang   I was giving an example of what i meant by over zealous. That makes me over zealous now? Haha. Well, i apologize if anyone took personal offense . Figured this was a pretty silly thread so i made a silly post. But there are people on these forums who act that way, and i do find those types of posts funny. Saying so makes me one of them? Thats a new one hehe.
    It does somewhat by intent or not.

Any parody of another can be seen as something done at the expense of the originating party. Even if I agree with you that it's humorous, it's considered mocking to parody such a person in what essentially amounts to public.

Saying so in that manner makes you derisive, not necessarily a fanatic or zealous. Just makes you appear to have less social control than you might actually have.

Granted this is the internet and most people seem to take that to mean they don't need any social conduct.

Fair enough hehe. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone. My bad, everybody.
  • UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

I have no reason to dislike a game because of its fans, some MMOs have indeed bad communities but I never like or dislike something based on the opinion of others.

Sometimes these communities are relatively bad "ingame" sometimes just inside forums. Star Wars Galaxies fans and The Secret World fans are terrible here on MMORPG but "ingame" they are/were not bad at all!

Trolling and empty overly negative arguments are somehow expected from SWG fans that didn't move on, but it is funny how so many TSW fans are negatively obsessed with Guild Wars 2, SWTOR  and any other more successful game here on MMORPG.com, but at the same time they are very, very defensive. I don't remember if the same happened with Age of Conan.

"Ingame" I had terrible experiences with Lineage 2, Aion and World of Warcraft communities, but I had GREAT experiences with Everquest 2, Vanguard and Guild Wars 2 communities.

So, "inforum" Star Wars Galaxies and The Secret World fans are terrible and obsessive, but I have absolutely nothing against those games and their "ingame" communities.

"Ingame" communities of Lineage 2, WoW and Aion were very problematic for me.

This discussion has been closed.